Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

It seems only 10 - 12 boats capsized with about 20 people in the water. http://belfasttelegraph.bbvms.com/view/twocol_article/2346029.html

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ahun

I am not sure if I read/heard/saw the news in this dramatic way you claim it was conveyed. It was an unusual event on a sailing competition and it was reported in the media. There is not much to talk about during the summer... A bit of exaggeration and dramatic picture painting - that is the journalists' job after all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

ahun wrote: »
    I am not sure if I read/heard/saw the news in this dramatic way you claim it was conveyed. It was an unusual event on a sailing competition and it was reported in the media. There is not much to talk about during the summer... A bit of exaggeration and dramatic picture painting - that is the journalists' job after all...

Pity it can so negatively affect a voluntary organization so.

But ah sure it's only their job to ignore the facts and report unsubstantiated claims as fact.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

But ah sure it's only their job to ignore the facts and report unsubstantiated claims as fact.

The Times actually did a very balanced article on it today

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/was-the-emergency-rescue-effort-in-strangford-lough-an-overreaction-1.1894034

However that was more than counteracted by the Indo :( who had an article saying it was a miracle no one was killed (can't find the link at the moment.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

It shouldn't surprise you. A lot of journalists have an agenda ... to sell as many copies as possible. The truth comes second. You just have to look at the content of the Indo to see that. Its more worrying that people buy the crap that rags like the Indo peddle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

Bio Mech wrote: »
    It shouldn't surprise you. A lot of journalists have an agenda ... to sell as many copies as possible. The truth comes second. You just have to look at the content of the Indo to see that. Its more worrying that people buy the crap that rags like the Indo peddle.

Indo is more obsessed with "celebrity" and glamour. Never thought Dennis OBrien was a fan of Kim Kardashian. Do they still publish Winkie Nixon's sailing column on Saturdays? I dont buy papers but never see sailing or his column on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

neris wrote: »
    Indo is more obsessed with "celebrity" and glamour. Never thought Dennis OBrien was a fan of Kim Kardashian. Do they still publish Winkie Nixon's sailing column on Saturdays? I dont buy papers but never see sailing or his column on their website.

I am not sure. I haven't bought a paper since we trained the cat to use the litter box.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Winkie Nixon's sailing column is "hosted" by Afloat Magazine now and gets a digital distribution every Saturday morning. It sometimes appears in the printerd version, although perhaps only the better ones?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

• Registered Users Posts: 28,900 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Stheno wrote: »

Sadly it appears the two ladies died.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/two-women-die-after-getting-into-difficulty-swimming-in-kerry-639219.html

Can't believe someone died sailing in the very waters where we had such a fantastic week just last week :mad:

RIP to all and sympathies to their families.

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Sadly it appears the two ladies died.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/two-women-die-after-getting-into-difficulty-swimming-in-kerry-639219.html

Can't believe someone died sailing in the very waters where we had such a fantastic week just last week :mad:

RIP to all and sympathies to their families.

That's awful RIP and god love their families

• Registered Users Posts: 36 gaffer falls

Another drascombe capsize leading to a fatality.Makes you wonder how safe these unballasted sail boats are.They are always touted as being safe as houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ahun

^^^they are two different incidents^^^

ahun wrote: »
    ^^^they are two different incidents^^^

Someone did die in the Drascombe incident though.

I've never sailed one, but was talking to someone today who had sailed one all through their youth - I'm not sure about the "unballasted" bit - as I understand it they have a lifting keel. Open to correction on that though. But hardly a dangerous boat and these sounded like experienced sailors.

Terribly tragic as they had "obeyed all the rules" - all wearing LJs, had left clear details of their plans ashore, the guy who died had opted to stay with the boat apparently which is almost always recommended.

Latest thoughts that I heard about it was that the boat got swamped somehow and tipped over - although my pal said that they have a fairly high freeboard.

The two nuns who died in Kerry also seem to have "obeyed all the rules". Safe beach, lifeguards on duty, lovely calm conditions, shallow part of the beach, loads of people around. Hard to credit how it happened, but it did.

It just goes to show the power of the sea (not quite sure how to phrase that - was going to say danger but that's not right either). Accidents can and do happen, despite these poor people doing everything right.

RIP to all, and respect and thoughts with the emergency services who had to deal with the incidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭Vexorg

@heidiheidi - tragedies aside, how was calves week?

Vexorg wrote: »
    @heidiheidi - tragedies aside, how was calves week?

Brilliant, as always :D

Slightly different for me this year as we were staying outside Schull (beyond Goleen, about half-hour's drive away) so no walking to/from Newman's for the evening pints. But we had the obligatory one or two after racing each day, obviously!

Racing was as usual fantastic, in utterly beautiful surroundings - hugely helped by the weather which was only gorgeous. They brought the Fastnet race forward by one day as there was a fear of no wind on the Thursday - and what a great decision that was. I think it's the best conditions I've ever rounded it in. The other three days were races on various courses around all the islands outside Schull harbour.

I must admit I do hanker after the full-week, varied-destinations format of old - but like Cork Week they seem to have had to cut their cloth to meet demand and practicalities. But it's such a relaxed, informal, enjoyable week that that's only nitpicking really.

I won't be doing the staying-miles-away thing again - far too much fun was missed out on, but that's the way the boat I was with do things and they love it - different strokes and all that. Unfortunately the boat got left behind with engine troubles and will hopefully be coming back up next week.

It's such a brilliant week - you really have to do it sometime! (although leave your uber-competitive streak at home, it's a very chilled event!)

Im jealous, was looking at pics of the Fastnet race and they looked amazing. They seemed to have as many boats as Cork Week this year.What class did you sail?

Uber competitive - us - you jest:) We just made a decision that coming in 20 minutes behind the fleet last year, (never mind how far behind the lead boats) just did not suit, so we figured out how to get the boat out of reverse this year. (actually one of the many things we do (or try to do better) is to select reverse when we shut the engine off).

Im jealous, was looking at pics of the Fastnet race and they looked amazing. They seemed to have as many boats as Cork Week this year.What class did you sail?

Uber competitive - us - you jest:) We just made a decision that coming in 20 minutes behind the fleet last year, (never mind how far behind the lead boats) just did not suit, so we figured out how to get the boat out of reverse this year. (actually one of the many things we do (or try to do better) is to select reverse when we shut the engine off).

:D:D:D sometimes it is that easy! in our case, it's remembering to take the bloody outboard up out of the water (yes, we've done it, more than once :o)

There probably were as many boats as Cork Week, or not far off (about 75 I think) - but that's more a reflection on the demise of CW than Calves I think - they've always kept it to a small event - the town couldn't cope if there were more!

There were four full-sail classes and two white sails. We were in Class 3 this time (but when the engine conked out on Friday two of us decamped with indecent haste to a White Sails 1 boat - proper champagne sailing, coffee served in china mugs as we went into the starting sequence, and as soon as we turned onto the run, lunch appeared up from below :D)

The Fastnet race has to be one of the highlights of my season this year, it really was gorgeous.

Get yizzerselves down there sometime soon!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Uber competitive - us - you jest:)
    Hahahahahahahaaha!!!!11!!1one!!

Nope nosir, not competitive at all is your boat!! :D:D:D

Hope you kick ass tomorrow btw.. :cool:

Steve wrote: »
    Hahahahahahahaaha!!!!11!!1one!!

Nope nosir, not competitive at all is your boat!! :D:D:D

Hope you kick ass tomorrow btw.. :cool:

We are crew poor tomorrow :(

• Advertisement

Looks breezy tomorrow, could do with a couple/a few extra souls on board:-)

If we do well tomorrow it will be because you Steve saved our bacon and for that I tip my hat to you again, and all the hard work you put in the turkey shoot and spring chicken might have rubbed off on us.

Looks breezy tomorrow, could do with a couple/a few extra souls on board:-)

If we do well tomorrow it will be because you Steve saved our bacon and for that I tip my hat to you again, and all the hard work you put in the turkey shoot and spring chicken might have rubbed off on us.

If we weren't spending tomorrow trying to reassemble all the bits that have fallen off our boat in recent weeks, along with trying to straighten our alarmingly bendy mast (sideways bend, not the specced back-bend) - and I wasn't nursing one banjaxed shoulder and two banjaxed elbows - I'd nearly volunteer for crewing on the back of that plea!

Steve is sounding quite the hero here, I'm fascinated to know what he did, and can he please do it for us??!! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Ah here.. :o

Vex's boat had some gear fail last night, I said I could fix it and did, nothing heroic about that :)

All part of the sport!

Well we have to get a repaired vang plate back into the boom and the boom back on the mast before we race tomorrow, Steve repaired the vang plate, that we managed to shear the one side of the "u" that the vang block assembly attaches to the boom. I may not be explaining it well, its shiny and looks like a U and it broke as we were heading to the startline yesterday, Steve repaired it mcgyver style with spit, a hairclip and some double sided sticky tape and a large splash of metallurgical hocus pocus.

We would be delighted to have you along if you were available, and in return, I would be happy to help with you mast if I can help, one thing I can off is you scrub the bottom of of your boat with our hull cleaner thingy. it does make a difference. irrespective of your availability happy to give a dig out.

Is the bendy mast down to the rig tensioning?

Steve wrote: »
    Ah here.. :o

Vex's boat had some gear fail last night, I said I could fix it and did, nothing heroic about that :)

All part of the sport!

Both heroic and humble ... Swoon!

edit ... unofficial post 1000 ... Whoot...

Well we have to get a repaired vang plate back into the boom and the boom back on the mast before we race tomorrow, Steve repaired the vang plate, that we managed to shear the one side of the "u" that the vang block assembly attaches to the boom. I may not be explaining it well, its shiny and looks like a U and it broke as we were heading to the startline yesterday, Steve repaired it mcgyver style with spit, a hairclip and some double sided sticky tape and a large splash of metallurgical hocus pocus.

We would be delighted to have you along if you were available, and in return, I would be happy to help with you mast if I can help, one thing I can off is you scrub the bottom of of your boat with our hull cleaner thingy. it does make a difference. irrespective of your availability happy to give a dig out.

Is the bendy mast down to the rig tensioning?

Gosh, must get Steve on my speeddial list :D:D

Yes, mast bend is down to tension - one of our shroud bottle-screw split pins had come out somewhere along the way and the inner shroud had obviously been unwinding itself merrily until we noticed it. All the shrouds are now all over the shop so we need to undo them and start again.

I've sworn myself off anything bigger than our little tub until I get my various joints fixed (I really should stop sailing altogether for a bit, but am trying to limp myself to the end of the season if I can) so much as I'd love to come out for a spin, boat repairs and self-preservation I'm afraid rules me out.

Thanks for the offer of help - isn't the boating community great all the same!!

Hope you get sorted for tomorrow. Are you guys doing the Greystones regatta? Supposed to have been brilliant fun last year, we're aiming to get down there again this time.

We have a rig tension issue also, we really need to get it sorted, also, boat feels better on starboard tack, shrouds have less slack.

Mend those injuries first, I'm nursing a a bad shoulder since May, Months of physio and as soon as it seems to be getting better, I manage to undo all the good in a heavy wind outing.

We are doing Greystones, did it last year also, Very light airs last year, wind died in the last half of the last race some of the whitesails could not finish.

Both heroic and humble ... Swoon!

edit ... unofficial post 1000 ... Whoot...

Lightweight :D

That was a tough day today, I ache.

I'm old

• Advertisement

Was digging through a box of old stuff and found these..

7f7Gz2_thumb.jpg

Happy days :D

Advertisement