Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Or Rory should just come view this thread because posters here seem to know whats best for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

First Up wrote: »
    If he does, I hope he uses a better adviser than whoever helped him sell body, soul and much else to Nike.

Yeah what a terrible advisor negotiating a $250m deal for him

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

ForeRight wrote: »
    Yeah what a terrible advisor negotiating a $250m deal for him

Which he will earn, believe me.

And rightly so!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

I would hope so.. This after all is his JOB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

Did any body think he was just gonne be given it??

Rippeditup wrote: »
    I would hope so.. This after all is his JOB

Yep - making video games, doing promos with Tiger, turning up at corporate shindigs and giving demos to fat 28 handicappers.

Great job but I suppose it pays well. Hope he gets some golf in too.

Yep - making video games, doing promos with Tiger, turning up at corporate shindigs and giving demos to fat 28 handicappers.

Great job but I suppose it pays well. Hope he gets some golf in too.

Tiger still manages to get his golf in

Tiger still manages to get his golf in

He has a different contract.

Excuse my ignorance but how do you know what's in both of their contracts?

• Advertisement

Excuse my ignorance but how do you know what's in both of their contracts?

Trust me.

Trust me.

Tiger has just as many commitments within his contract as Rory.. Infact most top pros spend about 2/3 days a week in sponsors events.

Rory is being paid $250 million to do a job which is represent and be a brand ambassador for Nike. That is HUGE money and of course they will expect their payback in his time as I would be expected to be in my office doing my job for the salary I receive.

You don't get anything for nothing in this world.

Trust me.

Ok your evidence is indisputable.

You obviously know your stuff on this matter.

Correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Case closed.

You think Tigers contract is far less time consuming as Rory's?
    You are implying like you know the ins and outs of both, why not just share the info, and stop with the pretense?
    Its a topic, personally I am very interested in.

neckedit wrote: »
    You are implying like you know the ins and outs of both, why not just share the info, and stop with the pretense?

Me too..

I will say I have been to an event where Tiger was flown into the UK to attend a Nike event and then he went back to the US that evening. The thing is his life outside of golf/drama isn't really under the microscope as much as he has learnt to manage this element

neckedit wrote: »

I know a bit more than I am at liberty to share but I would just point out that Tiger has been with Nike since 1996, so it would be reasonable to expect him to have negotiated to his advantage by now. Secondly, Nike's centre of operations is in the US, which makes it a lot easier for a US national to work with them than for someone who is trying to maintain a lifestyle that involves a Danish, world travelling fiancee, family connections in Ireland and an international playing schedule (not to mention supporting Ulster and Man U.)

You might also reflect on why Rory fired the agent who negotiated the deal.

I'm not saying any more about it, beyond hoping he has a stellar year in 2014.

I know a bit more than I am at liberty to share but I would just point out that Tiger has been with Nike since 1996, so it would be reasonable to expect him to have negotiated to his advantage by now. Secondly, Nike's centre of operations is in the US, which makes it a lot easier for a US national to work with them than for someone who is trying to maintain a lifestyle that involves a Danish, world travelling fiancee, family connections in Ireland and an international playing schedule (not to mention supporting Ulster and Man U.)

You might also reflect on why Rory fired the agent who negotiated the deal.

I'm not saying any more about it, beyond hoping he has a stellar year in 2014.

Wow........
    Ya do know its all available if you do a search on the tinterweb.....

First up not best dressed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,055 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Alright lads, lets move along from the petty squabbling please

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭saintastic

Carpo86 wrote: »
    Maybe, but she's 23 and earns between €10 and €20 million a year. I doubt she's marrying for financial reasons...

€10m to €20m a year seems incorrect. She has only made just under €12m in her CAREER in prize money. Even if she had a much better year last year than in previous years and made €4m, that still leaves her €6m to €16m shy of the figures above?

Are you saying she gets sponsorship of €6m to €16m a year? I can't see it. I can't even see €6m.

In my opinion, she'd be doing well to earn €5m a year. Still nice money for playing tennis all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

saintastic wrote: »
    €10m to €20m a year seems incorrect. She has only made just under €12m in her CAREER in prize money. Even if she had a much better year last year than in previous years and made €4m, that still leaves her €6m to €16m shy of the figures above?

Are you saying she gets sponsorship of €6m to €16m a year? I can't see it. I can't even see €6m.

In my opinion, she'd be doing well to earn €5m a year. Still nice money for playing tennis all the same!

Sometimes it's hard to comprehend just how popular Tennis is, I recall an article saying that it was in the Top 3 sports in the world in terms of popularity (behind Soccer & Cricket I think) that took me by surprise. But anyway, it's massive, far bigger than golf and so she'd be well able to bring home 10 -20 million I'd say.

Actually, a quick search going back to 2011 shows this, she was earning more than him back then apparently.

http://www.irishcentral.com/sport/Rory-McIlroy-and-Caroline-Wozniacki-set-to-cash-in-as-sports-new-golden-couple-133064018.html

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Carpo86

saintastic wrote: »

She was making huge bonuses from the likes of Adidas when she was World No 1. She also has a range of other endorsements. While her earning power may have dropped somewhat in line with her drop in ranking, the fact that she is still very much in the public eye has probably meant it hasn't fallen off too much.

There is an example at the below link and note that this is from 2011 and refers solely to sponsorship income (so doesn't include either prize money or earnings from exhibitions).

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2011/04/04/Marketing-and-Sponsorship/Wozniacki.aspx

Forbes also estimates her income in the 13-15 mil range for the last few years...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

............and we're back to talking about Rory now...............

Sure, don't want to labour the point but in the context of people arguing that his marriage is going to throw him off his game as his wife-to-be will potentially take lots of money of him, her financial independence is hardly off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,055 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Carpo86 wrote: »
    Sure, don't want to labour the point but in the context of people arguing that his marriage is going to throw him off his game as his wife-to-be will potentially take lots of money of him, her financial independence is hardly off topic.

Except that we are now flogging a dead horse about whether its 10M or 15M or 20M a year she is on.

Basically she has cash, I think we can accept she is not marrying for money.

Sky News saying Rory and the missus split up.....

http://news.sky.com/story/1265901/rory-mcilroy-calls-off-wozniacki-wedding

• Advertisement

"There is no right way to end a relationship that has been so important to two people," McIlroy said.

"The problem is mine," he said. "The wedding invitations issued at the weekend made me realise that I wasn't ready for all that marriage entails.

"I wish Caroline all the happiness she deserves and thank her for the great times we've had. I will not be saying anything more about our relationship in any setting."

Surely that must be a joke... all sounds a bit silly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement