Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

That was some performance with the driver (and 3 wood at times) misbehaving. Brilliant win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

He’s back!!!!!!!!!

great win for him and big because it was over a year and a half

some of those putts that went in were not the sort of ones he'd usually put away - wonder if he can keep that green form....?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭abff

Delighted for Rory.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭JJTippBhoy

Buzzing here. Really delighted for him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,066 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Fair play to him..

Not sure if he is playing next week but be wise decision to take it off and go into PGA in good frame of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Motivator

His caddy earned his corn this week, and absolutely did on 18. Too many times I’ve seen players blow up over the years and their caddies have stayed silent. Strong caddies are able to grab their player and give them a kick up the arse or a badly needed bit of advice about keeping calm. Diamond did that earlier. He did it on Thursday as well when McIlroy needed a spark. Not often you see the commentators pick up on it too but Faldo did earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Well done Harry.

Can't believe i'm say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,774 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Big win for him being 18 months since his last and his first with Cowen. Only 5 bogies all week is phenomenal and its probably the best I've seen him putting. Certainly gets his season back on track.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Harry has gotten some stick for not walking away from caddying Rory. It’s about more than golf for Rory and him and personally I think it’s great that they see other things more important than golf. Unlike a Tiger type character playing.

It’s just a game. Maybe Rory will underachieve by the end of his career but I think he will be content.

Harry is a Diamond

Hang on Rory let’s not try that!!!

WSms1oP.jpg

Here’s your phone and wallet Rory buddy

4cvgISE.jpg

Hey let me help you there Erica
    B52cWId.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Kiawah island The PGA 2 weeks time - he won there last time it was staged at that course I think

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Kiawah island The PGA 2 weeks time - he won there last time it was staged at that course I think
    Yep. In windy conditions too iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Delighted to see him win again, still has a lot of issues to sort out. His driver was well out of sorts from what i have watched.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

The hook under pressure is going to fester a bit, so delighted he got it done. That same shot from Masters 2011 comes to mind. If he can continue to putt like that, while getting a consistent shape on drives he'll be moving in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭blackcard

I think Rory hit about 18 out of 56 fairways. He mentioned not trusting his swing. Dottie Pepper said his driving during his warm up was not good. It is a radical change to go from his previous preferred draw to a default fade now.
    The rest of his game was stellar. Grained over 6 shots on the field in putting. His scrambling and bunker play were excellent. If Rory can hit more fairways, he may follow up his win yesterday with more shortly

Jumped to number seven in the world rankings from fifteen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

etxp wrote: »
    Delighted to see him win again, still has a lot of issues to sort out. His driver was well out of sorts from what i have watched.

I wouldn't say well out of sorts, the one on the last will give him pause no doubt, but if he was out of sorts with the driver he wouldn't have won.

He hit some awesome high fades, the one on the dogleg second over the tree on the corner was a thing of beauty. I wouldn't say his driving is too far off clicking, he was only just missing in the first cut mostly. As someone said previously he would have been punching out a few times if he was any wilder than that.

It's a very promising performance, now whether a firm and fast Kiawah Island comes too soon in his swing evolution/reboot, whatever you want to call it, or not we'll find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

blackcard wrote: »
    I think Rory hit about 18 out of 56 fairways. He mentioned not trusting his swing. Dottie Pepper said his driving during his warm up was not good. It is a radical change to go from his previous preferred draw to a default fade now.
    The rest of his game was stellar. Grained over 6 shots on the field in putting. His scrambling and bunker play were excellent. If Rory can hit more fairways, he may follow up his win yesterday with more shortly

Without researching into it myself but did he give a reason why he wanted to change from his draw set up to fade off the Tee? I though the draw was the required go to for the top level Pro's on the PGA?

Without researching into it myself but did he give a reason why he wanted to change from his draw set up to fade off the Tee? I though the draw was the required go to for the top level Pro's on the PGA?

The really big hitters prefer a power fade as it doesn't go off the planet if they get it wrong like a quick hook can.

DJ's control with the driver has changed the game a bit and when you have that much length you can sacrifice a little for more control. Although I'm not sure if they would carry the draw any further than a fade, but it would travel more once on the deck and that's not always a good thing.

• Advertisement

Too much focus on hitting fairways. He was Top 5 in strokes gained off the tee. Very often the angle of a fairway or landing point is much less for a longer hitter, taking on doglegs etc.

Yes he could give up 30 yards on a hole to focus on hitting the fairway but we have seen from how Golf is played these days there is more benefit to being in the rough with maybe 3 Clubs less to the green than hitting a fairway finder just for the sake of it.

The really big hitters prefer a power fade as it doesn't go off the planet if they get it wrong like a quick hook can.

DJ's control with the driver has changed the game a bit and when you have that much length you can sacrifice a little for more control. Although I'm not sure if they would carry the draw any further than a fade, but it would travel more once on the deck and that's not always a good thing.
    Yep. All the way back to that blown Masters, it was a draw that went horribly wrong that did for him. And what happened on the 18th yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Yes suppose that makes sense when talking about control but I always felt that Rory was quite a controlled driver of the ball considering how far he hits it with his old draw set-up.

Yes suppose that makes sense when talking about control but I always felt that Rory was quite a controlled driver of the ball considering how far he hits it with his old draw set-up.

For sure he's one of the best drivers ever imo, however, he's unlikely to lose any distance with the change and at the same time take the really destructive hook out of the equation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

To quote Lee Trevino....

'You can talk to a fade but a hook won't listen'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Didnt he make the switch to trying to hit fades a few years ago?

Is it news or in conversation again now?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,297 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

To quote Lee Trevino....

'You can talk to a fade but a hook won't listen'

you can't talk to a slice either :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Didnt he make the switch to trying to hit fades a few years ago?

Is it news or in conversation again now?

He said he has committed to hitting only a fade with the driver from now on, which would be a change.

Although I'm fairly certain he was set up for a draw on at least one hole with a driver yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭OEP

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    He said he has committed to hitting only a fade with the driver from now on, which would be a change.

Although I'm fairly certain he was set up for a draw on at least one hole with a driver yesterday.

I'd say it'll take a while before he can fully trust the fade. It would take balls to aim at the hazard and fade it away in your first tournament with the new shape, on the 18th, going for your first win in 18 months.......and then you end up hooking it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

He mentioned in an interview before the tournament (I think I saw the snippet on the PGA Tour Instagram account) that with the new drivers coming out it's getting increasingly difficult to hit a draw. It's hard to get the ball to turn right to left. Much easier and more consistent to fade it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement