Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

abff wrote: »
    I doubt that any of Trump’s supporters will be influenced one way or the other by anything said by Rory or any other golfer.

However, the fact that Rory is prepared to openly take this stance is perhaps indicative of a general move away from Trump.

The latter observation is what I was alluding to.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,120 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

McIlroy in change of mind shocker.

It's certainly a departure from his previous opinion.
    Respect the office even if you don’t respect the guy that’s in it, go play and go from there

• Registered Users Posts: 17,762 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

GreeBo wrote: »

Shocker! Yada Yada Yada. Non story.

Next.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

GreeBo wrote: »

GreeBo has never changed his mind in his life of course, as confirmed previously. Exact same person he was as a 5 year old.

Loving the mic'd up banter. Coverage is better quality than I expected too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭lostatsea

techdiver wrote: »
    Good to see him come out and say this given that most of the golfing world (US based) swoon over Trump. As evidenced by the article below.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/golf/how-many-golfers-on-the-pga-tour-would-say-yes-to-a-donald-trump-invitation-1.2987733

I get the impression that given the nature of golf in the US is that it is a wealthy, elitist sport open mainly to the rich. This cohort tend to vote republican. Rory could well receive backlash on this, so it was brave to come out and say this considering how many "MAGA", knuckle dragging types attend PGA events on a weekly basis.

Yes, I was glad to hear Rory speak up about Trump. Tiger Woods and Michael Jordan have come out belatedly to support the Black Lives Matter movement. I was shocked to hear Paul McGinley criticise Rory for taking a political stance.
    https://www.thesun.ie/sport/golf/5508058/paul-mcginley-rory-mcilroy-political-views/

McGinley, who is quite fond of adopting obsequious positions while commentating, believes Rory should concentrate on his golf and not get involved in speaking out on political matters. My view is thank God a top sportsman has an opinion of something that matters other than the size of their wallet.

I suspect McGinley is more concerned with his fellow Irishman criticising Trump as this will offend his good buddies in the US like Butch Harmon and Rich Beem who are constantly referring to their sizeable wealth during commentary. These boys, and just about every American golfer, adore Trump and why wouldn't they when Trump guarantees that the amount of tax they pay is kept to a minimum.

One of Trump's biggest supporters is Jack Nicklaus. Jack, like many other golfers, is constantly telling us about his charity work. Jack is allowed by government to keep most of his wealth and make donations to charitable foundations which emblazon his name over new hospitals that Jack has built.

So, well done Rory - you have gone way up in my estimation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

lostatsea wrote: »
    Yes, I was glad to hear Rory speak up about Trump. Tiger Woods and Michael Jordan have come out belatedly to support the Black Lives Matter movement. I was shocked to hear Paul McGinley criticise Rory for taking a political stance.
    https://www.thesun.ie/sport/golf/5508058/paul-mcginley-rory-mcilroy-political-views/

McGinley, who is quite fond of adopting obsequious positions while commentating, believes Rory should concentrate on his golf and not get involved in speaking out on political matters. My view is thank God a top sportsman has an opinion of something that matters other than the size of their wallet.

I suspect McGinley is more concerned with his fellow Irishman criticising Trump as this will offend his good buddies in the US like Butch Harmon and Rich Beem who are constantly referring to their sizeable wealth during commentary. These boys, and just about every American golfer, adore Trump and why wouldn't they when Trump guarantees that the amount of tax they pay is kept to a minimum.

One of Trump's biggest supporters is Jack Nicklaus. Jack, like many other golfers, is constantly telling us about his charity work. Jack is allowed by government to keep most of his wealth and make donations to charitable foundations which emblazon his name over new hospitals that Jack has built.

What utter nonsense.

Rory, Rahm, Koepka out together the first 2 days this week.

Will be interesting to see. Rory & Shane have been playing a lot of competitive Golf together the last few weeks and I saw Shane playing a few rounds with Koepka as well.

Bring it on.

lostatsea wrote: »

Given McIlroy has won as many majors as McGinley has won full stop, perhaps its McIlroy that should be giving some advice to McGinley on what he should be concentrating on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Given McIlroy has won as many majors as McGinley has won full stop, perhaps its McIlroy that should be giving some advice to McGinley on what he should be concentrating on.

While I admire what McIlroy said about Trump, considering the political situation in the US and how partisan American golf supporters have been shown to be in the past, McGinley may be proved right when the crowds are allowed at golf tournaments in Red states.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

how bad is his wedge play again today!!

Bound to be a bit rusty, fancy him to improve tomorrow.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭abff

Bound to be a bit rusty, fancy him to improve tomorrow.

Not doing too badly today, so far!

Decent position going into the weekend.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

Bound to be a bit rusty

Cant believe that. Is it correct ? Surely he would have made sure to lockdown within distance of a driving range. Any sportsman of his level who hadnt prepared to be able to practice his sport, especially a singles one like golf, despite the lockdown, is just plain careless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Cant believe that. Is it correct ? Surely he would have made sure to lockdown within distance of a driving range. Any sportsman of his level who hadnt prepared to be able to practice his sport, especially a singles one like golf, despite the lockdown, is just plain careless.

There is pressure having a card in his hand. We will all find out come June 29th

• Registered Users Posts: 21,206 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Very different story today. Different kettle of fish playing in comp and had a great score today

Competitive action is different, don't forget his coach was stuck in Ireland for the lockdown.

Just needed to dial the wedges in and he did that today.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

He didn't hit a ball for 8 weeks I think he said, did a good bit of gym work.

That is going off when he did a piece with Nick Doherty

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

Remind me wrote: »
    He didn't hit a ball for 8 weeks I think he said, did a good bit of gym work.

That is going off when he did a piece with Nick Doherty

He looks in great shape, physically.

• Advertisement

Will need a fast start to have any chance, need to be 3 or 4 under through 9 and go from there.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Banner fights back

Sadly the horrible horseshoe stretch of holes of 3,4 and 5 in his final round might have well sunk Rory 's hopes of winning in Colonial this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

Same old Rory. Best Top 10 finish golfer in the world. But only ever an each way bet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

ankles wrote: »
    Same old Rory. Best Top 10 finish golfer in the world. But only ever an each way bet

Yeah 2 wins in his last 7 starts is awful altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

fullstop wrote: »
    Yeah 2 wins in his last 7 starts is awful altogether.

When was the other win I only remember the WGC. Tour championship was hardly in the last 7 starts?

BoldReason wrote: »
    When was the other win I only remember the WGC. Tour championship was hardly in the last 7 starts?

It was. His last 7 finishes are 1st, 3rd, 1st, 3rd, 5th, 5th, 5th.

Abject failure by anyone’s standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Absolute bottler.

It was. His last 7 finishes are 1st, 3rd, 1st, 3rd, 5th, 5th, 5th.

Abject failure by anyone’s standards.

I didnt say it was. He has played a bunch on European tour also at least 3. Assume that is just PGA tour and WGCs you are quoting there?

BoldReason wrote: »
    I didnt say it was. He has played a bunch on European tour also at least 3. Assume that is just PGA tour and WGCs you are quoting there?

ET website doesn’t have him playing any events this season except the WGC, so they are his last 7.

The other comment wasn’t aimed at you, it was for the poor lads who have been waiting for about 9 months to come in and call him a bottler. Must have been tough for them.

• Advertisement

ET website doesn’t have him playing any events this season except the WGC, so they are his last 7.

The other comment wasn’t aimed at you, it was for the poor lads who have been waiting for about 9 months to come in and call him a bottler. Must have been tough for them.

Well that's wrong anyway. He played both the BMW and Alfred Dunhill from memory and both were after the Tour championship.

I agree with you though another win is for sure around the corner.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement