Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A boat full of carbs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭12 sprocket

AstraMonti wrote: »

I don't think there's anything new in restricting sugars/ carbs in Diabetes management.. sugarless jams are available for diabetics for many years as far as I am aware

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Normally when we eat food, in particular carbohydrates (starches and
    sugars) the level of glucose in our blood increases. In response to this
    the pancreas produces insulin which brings the level of glucose back to
    normal. Insulin is a hormone which is produced by a small organ in the
    body called the pancreas.

Include a starchy carbohydrate food such as bread, cereal, potato, rice
    or pasta (eat the appropriate portion) at each meal.

Both quotes taken from
    http://www.diabetes.ie/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Healthy-Eating-Type-2-Booklet-July-12.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

Something to add to the thought process.... we are complex animals, difficult to get those laboratory conditions correct I suppose.... http://www.bbc.com/news/health-28797106

• Advertisement

DaithiMC wrote: »
    Something to add to the thought process.... we are complex animals, difficult to get those laboratory conditions correct I suppose.... http://www.bbc.com/news/health-28797106

If studies show that unprocessed red meat is bad for you after controlling for meat eaters who smoke, drink too much, don't eat enough fish, get enough sleep etc then I'll have a good look at it.

Eat about 55- 60% fat without eating much meat at all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

If nothing else, adopting a LCHF diet has made me question many more aspects of dietary studies/reports/advice. So while before I might have read that BBC article and come away from it thinking that yes of course, saturated fat is implicitly bad for you, and that someone putting on weight was clearly an undesirable consequence of eating more meat as the article author suggests, nowadays I look at a sentence like:
    After a month of bacon sandwiches and burgers I had piled on the weight and my blood pressure and cholesterol levels both soared.

…and instead of concluding/accepting that eating lots of meat makes you fat and less healthy, I start to wonder how much the increased carb intake implied by “sandwich” and “burger” contributed to the (implied) negative outcomes. I’ve absolutely no idea how to answer such questions, but the fact that such questions are not even mentioned in the article makes me question the quality of the content and the reliability of any conclusions or suggestions contained within it.

So an LCHF diet certainly continues to offer me health benefits that I value, but leaves me fretting over far more stuff that I simply (and ignorantly, for the most part) took for granted before. All that fretting increases my risk of stress-related illness by 10% (study group of 1), shortening my expected life span by 30 minutes per year (the accuracy of this claim by me has been “independently” verified by me). So my new diet is healthier (for me), but is killing me faster. I shall generalise wildly and conclude that good health is bad for you and invite Horizon to make a program on that. (Contact me quick Horizon, I'm dying here you know! :) ).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

+1, those eating all the extra meat will no doubt be having Steak and chips or fry ups with beans (10g of sugar per half can), break and ketchup.

These studies are plain ridiculous really. Way way way too many factors influencing the outcome.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    +1, those eating all the extra meat will no doubt be having Steak and chips or fry ups with beans (10g of sugar per half can), break and ketchup.

These studies are plain ridiculous really. Way way way too many factors influencing the outcome.

Well the problem with saying "these studies are plain ridiculous" is that we are seeing this reported through a documentary which summarises and simplifies the studies. It is impossible to go back to the original studies without the specific references to them and assess whether they were ward controlled of "free humans", the latter of course being completely uncontrolled.

When I see a disparity in conclusions such at this, effectively indicating that North Americans and Europeans are different species, I immediately am suspicious about the experimental design. What I am trying to figure out at this stage in my life is how to grow old healthily, i.e., I'd rather just "stop" one day than have a slow lingering meander through a chronic, progressively debilitating disease. Making the presumption that I get to "stop" I need to therefore be mobile and compos mentis, so being overweight challenges the physical, and eating the wrong composition, I believe, challenges the neural side. This is probably why I am practicing my descending on the bike so much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

and eating the wrong composition, I believe, challenges the neural side.

What do you mean by this Daithi?

• Advertisement

ror_74 wrote: »
    What do you mean by this Daithi?

If you are looking at your overall health, you need to consider physical as well as mental health. Most discussions about eating healthy focus more on the physical and not on the mental health. At this point in my life (mid-40s) I am thinking of the long-term, short-termism when looking at health, I believe, drives behaviours like yo-yo dieting and also overtraining, which are unsustainable.

As we grow older the top health risks are usually cited as cardiovascular disease, heart disease, strokes, etc. and we tend (at least I do) consider dementia and other neural disorders as diseases of the really aged. I think what we eat today has a potentially big impact on our risk of neural disease. Eating too much (quantity) drives short-term changes physically but in this mode, most macro-nutrient groups are likely to be above adequate. However, if we undereat (quality) on any one particular group, aside from losing weight, you probably also cause potential harm to mental health, and doing this for an extended period has the implication of increasing neural health risk. The article points to some research indicating people who avoid red meat may be deficient in this way.

It might be enough to take on Vitamin supplements if the diet is focused on one or two macronutrient groups. Some say vitamin supplements are a waste of time as they have been shown to be dispelled in almost as high a concentration as they have been added to the diet but I'd rather have them circulating in excess and used as and when needed than to have them in insufficient concentrations.

One other point, the brain is a huge consumer of glucose so, even in the short-term, deficiencies in this can lead to bad decision making - note the crashes in long stages of bike races where the commentators put this down to the riders being "tired" - its likely the concentration required is being affected by sugar lows of one or two riders who underestimated their carb need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Great link Astra. Going to tuck into a few of these over the impending winter in which I'll be commuting a lot.

Great link Astra. Going to tuck into a few of these over the impending winter in which I'll be commuting a lot.

How long is your commutte? Can you eat at work?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Well the problem with saying "these studies are plain ridiculous" is that we are seeing this reported through a documentary which summarises and simplifies the studies. It is impossible to go back to the original studies without the specific references to them and assess whether they were ward controlled of "free humans", the latter of course being completely uncontrolled.

The odd thing about that Horizon program is that, based entirely on the article, it appears to be looking at studies and presenting info based on them, which would be interesting I think, but they seem to have tacked on the bit about the presenter trying a particular type of diet and making what seem like broad conclusions on the basis of perceived results. It seems an odd thing to throw into the program and to me seems to dilute the value of the core part of the program. Or perhaps the program is separate to the dietary trial by the presenter, maybe I'm just misreading the article (brain fade, I may need more carbs :) ).
    DaithiMC wrote:
    What I am trying to figure out at this stage in my life is how to grow old healthily, i.e., I'd rather just "stop" one day than have a slow lingering meander through a chronic, progressively debilitating disease.

I share your concerns and aims. For quite a while I've been trying to address this in other aspects of my life (e.g. I stretch regularly as I believe it'll contribute to better mobility for longer later in life) but for far too long I've been very casual about really considering the long term impacts of my diet. That's one of the positive side effects of my trying to adopt a LCHF diet, it has made me think more about the consequences of what I eat - I'm pretty sure I'm a long way still from an "ideal" diet, whatever that might be, but making a conscious effort to figure out what that should be feels like half the battle.

doozerie wrote: »
    The odd thing about that Horizon program is that, based entirely on the article, it appears to be looking at studies and presenting info based on them, which would be interesting I think, but they seem to have tacked on the bit about the presenter trying a particular type of diet and making what seem like broad conclusions on the basis of perceived results. It seems an odd thing to throw into the program and to me seems to dilute the value of the core part of the program. Or perhaps the program is separate to the dietary trial by the presenter, maybe I'm just misreading the article (brain fade, I may need more carbs :) ).

I share your concerns and aims. For quite a while I've been trying to address this in other aspects of my life (e.g. I stretch regularly as I believe it'll contribute to better mobility for longer later in life) but for far too long I've been very casual about really considering the long term impacts of my diet. That's one of the positive side effects of my trying to adopt a LCHF diet, it has made me think more about the consequences of what I eat - I'm pretty sure I'm a long way still from an "ideal" diet, whatever that might be, but making a conscious effort to figure out what that should be feels like half the battle.

Yes, I think carrying out "experiments" on top of an already simplified summary of the science can make the science seem unimportant. One of the principal problems of course is that he is a population of one. He is a trained medical doctor though and tries to interpret the outputs by engaging in a practical way but the outputs of these studies are so longitudinally focused that I don't know what he can achieve in a month. He did a better job of interpreting the Intermittent Fasting research which unfortunately though, gave rise to the fad 5:2 diet.

From what I have studied so far on nutrition - which has slowed down as I have changed work and so am not involved so much in medical diagnostics anymore, here are some observations (not facts!!):

1) Caloric Restriction: best recommended way for weight loss (no qualifier on dietary composition so "weight loss" can mean varying compositions of fat and lean mass loss).
    2) Intermittent Fasting: good for weight loss (not as good as CR), short-term fasts appear to emphasise more fat loss than lean mass. Potentially (though the potential looks good) better for chronic disease control as fasting reduces the number of cycles of inflammatory processes and promotes cellular repair rather than cellular replacement.
    3) Volume: large volumes of food obviously drive weight gain and also the inflammatory process, even if the large volume is biased towards only one or two groups so high protein diets will still give rise to weight gain if there is a significantly higher caloric value in the volume taken in. Gorging in intermittent fasting regimes doesn't show up as having long-term adverse health effects (yet! :) ) but I have read one study indicating that taking in a daily calorific quantity in one evening meal can lead to higher risk of CVD.
    3) Quality: We all intuitively know about the more Fruit and Veg but this is in the context of including it in the mix, not adding it to the volume, of what is already being eaten. The "five a day" doesn't mean "at least" five a day - so 45 items of a healthy food will still drive adverse health! In relation specifically to sugar I saw one review of the literature looking at the types of sugar (fructose v glucose v galactose) which indicates again, that the quantity of the sugar (carb load) is likely more detrimental than the type of sugar.

One other area that is attracting interest which may reveal that low carb diets, from a health (physical and mental) perspective have merit is the area of Advanced Glycated Endproducts - effectively proteins to which sugars become irreversibly bound. Some of these proteins have functions which become blocked by these bound sugars so effectively become inert in our circulation and are deposited over time in ways that it is supposed can lead to premature aging including neural disorders, so keeping your sugars on the equilibrium point for immediate use by your body means that these proteins can function as designed and are not "mopping up" excess sugars.

I can now only study this stuff in my spare time so this will remain the sum-total of my observations for a while yet!

ford2600 wrote: »
    How long is your commutte? Can you eat at work?

About 42k one way. I suppose I could do that alright.

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.ie/2011/08/carbohydrate-hypothesis-of-obesity.html

Good article from a really good writer. Haven't seen it before here. More rounded view of things

ford2600 wrote: »
    http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.ie/2011/08/carbohydrate-hypothesis-of-obesity.html

Good article from a really good writer. Haven't seen it before here. More rounded view of things

Interestingly.... in news today.... http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/08/140825185319.htm

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2014/08/21/1409638111

Hoping this might be best place to ask;

Macadamia nuts - okay to eat unroasted & unsalted?

Considerable more expensive when they are roasted & salted.

No exact quantity mentioned here. Reason to be concerned.

I eat plenty of nuts every day - I struggle to get enough fat in otherwise - end up eating large quantities of meat and possibly too much protein.

I eat about 20-25 (rough estimate) of unsalted macadamia nuts per day plus some pecans and walnuts. I think it's fair to say not to go nuts with nuts, nothing is good in extreme portions. How come you are struggling with fat? Do you like/eat cheese?

Btw I was for ten days in the states and I completely ignored my eating, went in a carb fest, came back with 3.5kgs extra, damn!

• Advertisement

I eat plenty of nuts every day - I struggle to get enough fat in otherwise - end up eating large quantities of meat and possibly too much protein.

No idea on nuts.

Why not add more pure fat to diet. I add and enjoy enormous amounts of olive oil to every savoury meal.

No idea on nuts.

Why not add more pure fat to diet. I add and enjoy enormous amounts of olive oil to every savoury meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Roast them yourself... It's dead simple. Or fry them in a hot dry pan....delicious,especially peanuts done this way.

I eat about 20-25 (rough estimate) of unsalted macadamia nuts per day plus some pecans and walnuts. I think it's fair to say not to go nuts with nuts, nothing is good in extreme portions. How come you are struggling with fat? Do you like/eat cheese?

Btw I was for ten days in the states and I completely ignored my eating, went in a carb fest, came back with 3.5kgs extra, damn!

It's more been a lately problem, my local lidl is closed for renovations and shopping has been shoddy/patchy. Love cheese - normally eat plenty. No lidl = v.expensive in supervalu. I'm happy to spend plenty to eat well but it's been getting out of hand lately!

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Roast them yourself... It's dead simple. Or fry them in a hot dry pan....delicious,especially peanuts done this way.

Yeah pretty obvious really - just wanted them delivered to the office door and there as a snack.

I guess my post was more about wanting to see what was mentioned re benefits of roasted v unroasted etc.

Tried this this morning and it sure is tasty. Added in some sundried tomato and replaced the goats chees with Lidl cheddar cheese. Have never really eaten chorizo but I think it will become more of a staple in my diet.

There's also a great menu organised by time of day (breakfast, lunch, dinner etc) here and here

Just a quick note that we have started using pure dairy butter for frying and it's great. Thanks to Astra for sharing the 1st recipe.

Those meals are nice but they are very little calories there for a person who works out, you might want to increase the portions.

Will do. Reading up on the keto diet I'm not sure I want to drop the carbs if I'm still training. Usually incresae carb intake on a hard training day and keep them to a minimum on a non-training day although I've waivered recently. Really want to shed the weight this winter and get back to a good structured diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Will do. Reading up on the keto diet I'm not sure I want to drop the carbs if I'm still training. Usually incresae carb intake on a hard training day and keep them to a minimum on a non-training day although I've waivered recently. Really want to shed the weight this winter and get back to a good structured diet.

Interested in people opinions in this as its the one area of the LCHF diet im not so sure about

• Advertisement

I know a few here are southside based, a friend of mine runs his own farm and sells free range bacon, sausages, chops & roasts at the Marley market on a Saturday/morning afternoon.

The breakfast sausages in particular are amazing and great value at €10 for 3 packs (about 16 sausages).

Advertisement