Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A boat full of carbs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Ryath

Swear filter broke your link

Edit and mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Oops, that should do it: http://tinyurl.com/mxh27yy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

kennyb3 wrote: »
    @ ford2600, as someone only a couple of months bit down the rabbit hole so far on this lchf diet, did your ldl numbers level off or have you still concerns about them. I know all your other figures are excellent. Does the high ldl concern you - given you can't get your particle size tested here? Or are you just taking it on trust they are big? Or is it a case of everything else is great so why worry?

(sorry for the hi-jack)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14564088

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11092292

http://www.lipidcenter.com/pdf/TG_HDL_Ratio.pdf

https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/jat/10/3/10_3_186/_pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mp31

This got me laughing ... http://anthonycolpo.com/announcing-the-most-effective-fat-burning-device-ever-invented/

I'm only in this game a short while so I'm not sure if this guy is being sarcastic or genuine. All I wanted to do was re-read the 'Coffee with butter/coconut oil for breakfast' thing that I read in this thread a while ago... or was it somewhere else :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Probably a bulletproof coffee. Dave Asprey developed it. He uses MCT oil.

MCT oil can cause a mild allergic reaction in some people. I think it's something in the processing of the coconut oil. I read about it but can't remember the ins and outs of it. I haven't used MCT oil, it's expensive. I like butter in mine. Tried coconut oil but I don't like the taste in coffee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Does any outlet in Dublin or beyond sell a prepared bulletproof coffee? My curiosity tells me to try a few before I shell out on the means to make my own.......

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭smcclaw

http://athlete.io/5084/why-breakfast-is-nothing-but-a-scam/

Love the battle on the comments, nutrition is one of these things that make people go mental when debating.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

On the bulletproof coffee - I don't drink them, not a fan, but have a question - why unsalted butter? There's not really a huge amount of salt in butter and when you've cut out added salt (shaker) and processed food sugar - surely there isn't too much to worry about salt wise?

Do people use unsalted butter for frying? I've just been using this

Also my go to dish if I'm not in the mood for meat or fish (rare) is a bowl of berries (blueberries, raspberries and strawberries) covered in double cream - any other suggestions welcome. Eat plenty of cheese too but feel i need a bit more variation without too much complication.

Also I found this nugget on the CSS website hilarious;

CARBOHYDRATES – ESSENTIAL BODY FUEL

As with any sport, it is important to maintain energy levels, prevent fatigue and maintain blood glucose levels. Carbohydrates are the most efficient fuel for energy production, and as they can be stored in the liver and muscles they function as a readily available energy source for prolonged strenuous exercise.
    Complex carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, couscous, bread and noodles should make up at least 50 per cent of the energy content of your diet. Currently, as a population we are consuming only 42 per cent of energy as carbohydrate and making up the difference by eating more fat.

Yep we all need to up our carb intake - the world isn't fat enough yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Ryath

On the bulletproof coffee - I don't drink them, not a fan, but have a question - why unsalted butter? There's not really a huge amount of salt in butter and when you've cut out added salt (shaker) and processed food sugar - surely there isn't too much to worry about salt wise?

Also my go to dish if I'm not in the mood for meat or fish (rare) is a bowl of berries (blueberries, raspberries and strawberries) covered in double cream - any other suggestions welcome. Eat plenty of cheese too but feel i need a bit more variation without too much complication.

Tried it with salted butter didn't like it must try it with unsalted or coconut oil. Coconut oil is good for frying doesn't work with some things though because of the flavour. You can get it cheap in an Asian market.

You eat nut's? Eat a lot of brazil, pecan and walnuts. Lidl is good for these. Nice to add to some berries and greek yogurt

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

Salted butter tastes horrible in bp coffee, makes it taste gone off, unsalted glenstal butter the best i've used. Frying eggs and veg its salted butter all the way, with some maldron salt added too :) I think its all a taste thing rather than a dropping salt thing

Ryath wrote: »
    Tried it with salted butter didn't like it must try it with unsalted or coconut oil. Coconut oil is good for frying doesn't work with some things though because of the flavour. You can get it cheap in an Asian market.

You eat nut's? Eat a lot of brazil, pecan and walnuts. Lidl is good for these. Nice to add to some berries and greek yogurt

Cheers, yeah eat plenty of nuts (macadmia's, brazil and walnuts as snack in work).

Usually add a spoon or two of greek yogurt to the bowl of cream and berries.Yum yum!

Salted butter tastes horrible in bp coffee, makes it taste gone off, unsalted glenstal butter the best i've used. Frying eggs and veg its salted butter all the way, with some maldron salt added too :) I think its all a taste thing rather than a dropping salt thing

Cheers that explains it so.

Classic that almost all the pics are butter smothered on carbs though! Nice to see some kind of message is getting places though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

Classic that almost all the pics are butter smothered on carbs though! Nice to see some kind of message is getting places though! :)

...and soon it will come full circle that ALL macronutrients in the ratio and amount required to achieve the particular goals of the "dieter" are to be considered equally important. Carbs are NOT evil, nor are fats or proteins, we are designed to deal with all three groups and depending on whether your goals are fat loss, muscle gain, fat gain, muscle loss, etc.. they can all be tuned to have the required effect. What is becoming more evident is that focus on ONE of the macronutrient groups as a sustainable lifestyle is not necessarily a panacea to cure all ills.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

DaithiMC wrote: »
    ...and soon it will come full circle that ALL macronutrients in the ratio and amount required to achieve the particular goals of the "dieter" are to be considered equally important. Carbs are NOT evil, nor are fats or proteins, we are designed to deal with all three groups and depending on whether your goals are fat loss, muscle gain, fat gain, muscle loss, etc.. they can all be tuned to have the required effect. What is becoming more evident is that focus on ONE of the macronutrient groups as a sustainable lifestyle is not necessarily a panacea to cure all ills.

A lot to be said for common sense and this comment has plenty of that.

DaithiMC wrote: »

I'm not low carb and would fully agree carb is important especially when eaten at appropriate times, and I don't think they're evil, but I don't think bread is something that has any real health benefits to it and the first photo in the pic is butter smothered on toast. I would say it is delicious however...

AFAIK people tend to recommend carb with protein and lower fat on active days, and protein and fat on less active days, and that the fat/carb mix is the one to avoid. Common man might read that article and double their butter on their toast and sandwiches and expect to improve health/weight, which was what I was referring to

If you mean carbs like pasta, wheat, sugar then I can't personally find a single benefit for them and I could argue for days that they are pointless to be in anyones diets.

On the other hand if you mean vegetable/fruit carbs and very very specific low gi ones (like sweet potato) then I would say for sure.

And low-fat products are idiotic, there is no middle ground there.

• Advertisement

AstraMonti wrote: »

Have you read his book?

Volek and Pinney and also Peter Attia strongly recommend adding salt to your diet as on high fat your kidneys dump salt.

If you eat a lot of bacon your probably good to go.

ford2600 wrote: »
    Have you read his book?

His book is excellent. The epilogue in particular.

Gary Taubes also did an article on salt.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/03/opinion/sunday/we-only-think-we-know-the-truth-about-salt.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

I don't restrict salt at all and my blood pressure is fine. Had it measured a fair few times while in for surgery recently.

Taubes did another article on salt in 1998. I think it was his first dietary article. http://garytaubes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/science-political-science-of-salt.pdf

His book is excellent. The epilogue in particular.

The bit that said alcohol is good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

ford2600 wrote: »
    The bit that said alcohol is good!

What did he say about booze ?

Its gas that any discussion Ive had with anyone about diet, they always leave booze out of it. Critisizing those pints at the weekend - well thats taking things too far ffs. If a man can't have his few pints then what can he have ? etc etc :pac:.

ror_74 wrote: »

Its gas that any discussion Ive had with anyone about diet, they always leave booze out of it. Critisizing those pints at the weekend - well thats taking things too far ffs. If a man can't have his few pints then what can he have ? etc etc :pac:.

In a nutshell stress causes heart disease, all kinds of stress.

Enjoy food, a drink or two, exercise some, make plenty friendd enjoy your work, and ride plenty (I might have added that bit).

ror_74 wrote: »

"If you don't drink, start. If you do drink, drink regularly - don't binge drink - and make you sure you enjoy what you drink. Drink with friends, drink sociably; don't drink to get drunk." - Malcolm Kendrick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

This is a good read and a lot of sense.
    http://cyclingtips.com.au/2011/11/the-pursuit-of-leanness/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

AstraMonti wrote: »
    If you mean carbs like pasta, wheat, sugar then I can't personally find a single benefit for them and I could argue for days that they are pointless to be in anyones diets.

On the other hand if you mean vegetable/fruit carbs and very very specific low gi ones (like sweet potato) then I would say for sure.

And low-fat products are idiotic, there is no middle ground there.

Well, if I was a starving individual I might see a benefit in anything that is edible, or if I am a diabetic with a sugar low I might see a benefit in a "fast" or high GI sugar! OK - they're extreme examples but the point is that it probably is more important to come at this from the objectives perspective, i.e., what is the overall objective or outcome sought, and then align the proportion of macronutrients, and even the types required.

Many pro racers are regularly seen swigging high sugar drinks during and at the end of races so they and their training staff clearly see a benefit. For most cyclist who cycle at below their maximum sustainable efforts, this kind of replenishment is probably of lower or similar benefit to low GI carbs so with that "objective" in mind I would agree with you. I was recently at a seminar in which a speaker illustrated, after an exhaustive search of the available literature (1200+ papers whittled to 200+ relevant papers), that it is the carb-load that may be more important than the "quality" of the carb - which is kind of where I am coming from when I consider the "objective" more important as an up front consideration.

Advertisement