Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    I hate having to reach over sitting people to get drinks at a bar.

I'll always hand them back to you !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

My Wetherspoons is so busy at the bar, I think they need a ticket system, Its usually near capacity even in the day,problem is the bar is very long and they cant tell who's next.

More January offers

http://mobile.morningadvertiser.co.uk/Pub-Food/JD-Wetherspoon-food-and-drink-January-sale-starts-today#.VKxkQlIqVdg

No Halal meat either

http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/faqs

None of our food is certified as Halal. We have no plans to introduce Halal food in the future. All animals are stunned prior to slaughter and the process used complies with UK & EU legislation.

CAMRA

J D Wetherspoon is Britain’s biggest supporter of microbrewers and actively works with local CAMRA branches (the Campaign for Real Ale). Every year, we support CAMRA by providing its members with discount vouchers, worth up to £20, for real ale at Wetherspoon. Check the back of the vouchers’ terms and conditions for details about how to redeem them against the cost of your pint.

As well as real ale, we also accept vouchers against purchases of real and draught, hand-pulled ciders

Free wifi

The majority of our pubs and all our hotels offer FREE Wi-Fi, with The Cloud. Select WiFi - The Cloud from the network list. This service is not available in our airport locations.

.....Excellent stuff, went out tonight, in a non Wetherspoons pub, heard the usual crap from some stuck up silly woman about how terrible wetherspoons is.

My kind of Saturday : Breakfast followed by coffee with a shot in Wetherspoons, a couple of hours in the bookies, followed by watching my local soccer team, Southend United.....followed by dinner and a few pints.........in Wetherspoons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

No Halal meat either

good, that barbaric **** has no place in the civilised world

on another note, it's interesting that they sell Moet champagne, it is owned by Diageo akaik, it's also cheaper than any supermarket that I've seen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

BMJD wrote: »
    good, that barbaric **** has no place in the civilised world

on another note, it's interesting that they sell Moet champagne, it is owned by Diageo akaik, it's also cheaper than any supermarket that I've seen

You do realise there is actually no real difference between Stun Halal and the way we dispatch animals in Ireland, don't you?

Almost all chicken in Ireland can be certified Halal and a large amount of the meat as well.

You've probably eaten hundreds f kilos of Halal meat and never even knew it.

Check your prejudices there lad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

symbolic wrote: »
    I'd love to see all the prices along the way ☺anyone know?

You mean the menus?

See www.jdwetherspoon.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 25,342 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Some of the January deals in UK look good, hope they apply in Ireland.

Wetherspoons January sale. Ham egg and chips £2.99

I had the ham, eggs and chips in the TTT a few weeks ago. Given that it's a UK chain, I thought what they called 'ham' might actually be what we call rashers but the meat was cold slices of very poor quality ham. The eggs and chips were fine but all in all it was a very unsatisfactory meal which (metaphorically and literally) left a bad taste in the mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭worded

I didn't go out much at Xmas as I'm pissed off dropping a 100 euro + on a few pints / taxi / pizza

A few of my mates did similar and just had a quiet few at home and saved lots of € as a result

I don't know if I'm going to be a fan of weather spoons but its great to see the competition.

I look forward to going out more in the future with more reasonable prices

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

coylemj wrote: »
    I had the ham, eggs and chips in the TTT a few weeks ago. Given that it's a UK chain, I thought what they called 'ham' might actually be what we call rashers but the meat was cold slices of very poor quality ham. The eggs and chips were fine but all in all it was a very unsatisfactory meal which (metaphorically and literally) left a bad taste in the mouth.

Ham in this context might be similar to gammon?

Well obviously you lead a more precious life then I do.

I order it occasionally, the ham is thick decent quality ham with two eggs. Obviously its not rashers/bacon or gammon, then its not listed as that, its listed as two slices of ham. I usually order bread and butter with it.

It all comes down to expectations for £2.49 or £2.99, I'm not expecting a Michelin star meal, I expect something reasonably tasty and filling.

There's a picture of it.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2523/4259686810_efd09659b2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

BoatMad wrote: »
    jaysus , cheap beer, lets all rush in and get locked, then abuse politicians

or alternatively we should stroll to that quaint irish pub, with the dirt and toilet from the 50s and pay 5 quid a pint, and praise our politicians are right and far seeing in preserving our alcoholic tradition
    Heroditas wrote: »
    While getting our senses blasted with Sky Sports from plasma TVs hanging from every square inch of wall space.

Don't forget the permanently open window in the unheated jacks.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The ham is always cold any time I've had this; I can only assume they intend it to be - either that or Birmingham Airport, Cardiff and Newport staff are all equally incompetent to Blackrock ones!

I'd prefer if it wasn't cold mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

hardCopy wrote: »
    Don't forget the permanently open window in the unheated jacks.

Don't forget the ubiquitous hot water top which is always out of commission and the cubicles that are the settings for dirty protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Now lads, that's the "charm" of an Irish Pub you're all describing. Something that these foreign pubs just won't be able to match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Don't forget the ubiquitous hot water top which is always out of commission and the cubicles that are the settings for dirty protest.

the hot water tap in The Brew Dock is constantly on the "Sear the skin off" setting though. Which is just as fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

the hot water tap in The Brew Dock is constantly on the "Sear the skin off" setting though. Which is just as fun.
    at least they warn you ;)

Someone screaming that they "Don't like de gays!" now.

http://theoutmost.com/news/jd-wetherspoons-allegedly-refuses-gay-couple/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Someone screaming that they "Don't like de gays!" now.

http://theoutmost.com/news/jd-wetherspoons-allegedly-refuses-gay-couple/

Most unpleasant, if true.

And they certainly could have handled it better, though any admission of wrongdoing would surely open them to litigation.

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Most unpleasant, if true.

And they certainly could have handled it better, though any admission of wrongdoing would surely open them to litigation.

To be fair, he says they got turned away after the bouncer looked at his ID.

It's not as though sexual preference is listed on there. And plenty of people get turned away from bars all the time, to maintain the balance of people inside. The "Is it coz I is ghey!?" attitude is a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I amazed that a pub is allowed to openly discriminate on the grounds of gender at all!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I amazed that a pub is allowed to openly discriminate on the grounds of gender at all!

Sure loads of places do "Ladies Night" as well.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They're not, even in the UK who only came around to having proper rules about supply of goods and services more recently than here. Denying entry to anyone you want for no reason is still allowed, giving a reason is commercial suicide. Specifically saying "no groups" is probably OK too - but trying to defend that two people is a group when you've already let others in isn't going to hold water.

As goes couples, Sandals holidays got in to trouble by trying to insist only mixed-sex couples a few years ago.

I'd suspect that this, like other issues, is one troublesome bouncer who'll be on the scratcher shortly rather than any company policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭squonk

I have to say I had a look at the JDW menu posted a page or two back and it looks bloody great. I'm sorry they haven't set up shop in Limerick yet. I lived in Galway for a bit and spent enough time in The Salt House to probably get a seat named after me. The beer was good but expensive however I was largely getting what I'd paid for. Since moving to Limerick I'm not as pushed about the local pubs because I'm predominently interested in the beer. I'll pay 4-5 quid for decent craft beer but I'm not paying that to sit somewhere drinking generic multinational stuff that is inoffensive and bland. I can stay in cheaper and enjoy some craft and catch a movie as well which is preferable to Sky Sports.

When I do go out now it's to meet up with a friend or two and we'll usually go on the Beamish which, at €3.70 a pint in the local isn't bad value at all. The pub is quiet save for regulars and the distant chatter from a television set showing RTE One.

JDW in my opinion is giving consumers what they want. I'd hapilly head out the odd evening for my dinner if I could get some food and a drink for 6-7 quid. Compared to most pubs where the same would cost me at least €12, it's a no brainer. Nobody is going to mind some food and 2-3 drinks for a tenner whereas anything more expensive is a deterrant.

This is what regular pubs need to learn. I think they really have only of two options. First, provide food and drink at real value for money prices and keep the crowd comeing or number 2, go the Gastro Pub route and provice quite decent higher end food and drink for more expensive nights out. I think there's a place for both but serving up 2 sausages, a bit of mash and some gravey and charging me the guts of €15 for it plus a pint of Carlsberg isn't really on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

irish_goat wrote: »
    Sure loads of places do "Ladies Night" as well.

Which, I reckon, if challenged would be declared discriminatory and illegal.

Sales prices up. Someone get Mary Mitchell O'Connor on the phone!

1505340_848449005194381_1568597254304787039_n.png?oh=5abc46aad0b755cb6c292af7667df7b4&oe=55370D72&__gda__=1429747689_da2e97cc0cdcf500dad1f354cbbac987

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭squonk

You know what, 75c for a cup of coffee is fair value and about as much as it costs to make with some profit. Paying 2.50+ for the same thing elsewhere is madness!

I hadn't heard great things about Spoons in the UK and was in one there once which made the local morgue look more lively but you have to hand it to them for providing value.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

If they have those prices next year, when the Cork one will have opened, I'll take my Xmas hols in Jan and just head to the pub!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I went to post a link of this onto Mitchell O'Connors facebook page, unfortunately the type of page she has set up, wont allow me!

1505340_848449005194381_1568597254304787039_n.png?oh=5abc46aad0b755cb6c292af7667df7b4&oe=55370D72&__gda__=1429747689_da2e97cc0cdcf500dad1f354cbbac987

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

that Dry Hopped Lager is not bad at all, gassier than an Ale though.

• Advertisement

squonk wrote: »
    You know what, 75c for a cup of coffee is fair value and about as much as it costs to make with some profit. Paying 2.50+ for the same thing elsewhere is madness!

They do free refills until 2pm as well. There's a "family area" in one of the Wetherspoons in Derry and it's really bizarre as it's filled with older ones all drinking coffee and the off pint for several hours during the day time. Feels like you're sitting in someone's living room but it's good craic all the same.

Advertisement