Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

n97 mini wrote: »
    Or like Heineken, the brewers won't agree to supply them and let them sell it at the price they want .
    Seems unlikely when the price of the same Irish microbrewed beer can vary so widely already, but could be. The micros don't seem to set RRPs the way the multinationals do, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

BeerNut wrote: »
    Same reason they don't have Guinness: they aren't offering to pay what it costs.

As in what it costs to produce with no margin?

BaZmO* wrote: »
    As in what it costs to produce with no margin?
    No, as in the price sticker on the barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

No, as in the price sticker on the barrel.

Ahh, yeah well that probably goes without saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

A whole host of Barrys objecting - quelle surprise! They seem to be suddenly very concerned about the impact of noise from Wetherspoons on apartments.

What is a Barry? I've seen this expression, as well as 'Barry Bars' (I think) in this thread. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Lucena wrote: »
    What is a Barry? I've seen this expression, as well as 'Barry Bars' (I think) in this thread. :confused:

Pub across the road from the new Wetherspoons in Douglas. Never been the quietest themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,145 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Same reason they don't have Guinness: they aren't offering to pay what it costs.

Or Diageo won't sell, or give discounts, at a reasonable price.

Which would still be well above cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

No mention of that anywhere online, can you confirm what products?
    It was for a pint of beer only (cant remember which one) Wine was E3.50 a glass, coffee 75c. Offer runs from 5th-22nd Jan from what I recall, they had the offer displayed on a poster in The Forty Foot. They also had a deal on a spirit and mixer, Jameson and one other I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

If I recall correctly there was some attempt to set a Publicans Co-Operative in Dublin a number of years ago, to allow for greater purchasing power and get a better price of the breweries but Diageo and Heineken refused to deal with them and it died a death.
    I have no doubt any savings made would not have been passed on.

The company that run the bars in Lansdowne Road secured the UK price for Guinness before it opened after threatening to import its Guinness from the UK. Something like half the price per Keg in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

The guy from Bru told me, in no uncertain terms, that he wouldn't put his beer into JDW.

Lo and behold, Dubh is on sale in TFF.

Weird, I got the impression from him that he was of the opinion that his beer was too good for JDW. I also got the impression that they hadn't approached him anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,785 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The guy from Bru told me, in no uncertain terms, that he wouldn't put his beer into JDW.

Weird, I got the impression from him that he was of the opinion that his beer was too good for JDW. I also got the impression that they hadn't approached him anyway.

And there it sits on the shelf in Aldi, Market talks. And Sales people love a sale. (fact)

The company that run the bars in Lansdowne Road secured the UK price for Guinness before it opened after threatening to import its Guinness from the UK.
    Wetherspoon considered that but ended up deciding it wasn't worth jeopardising the supply of Guinness to its UK outlets.

I suspect, but don't quote me, that the bottled Irish craft beer in Wetherspoon is bought from a separate wholesaler and not from the breweries. That way they can sell it on at a miniscule margin and the producer has no say in the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

I head he was not a fan of them, maybe it was purchased from a third part distributor.

Beer nut got there before me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

13 objections ranging from people nearby concerned about noise, a couple objecting to low cost alcohol, a threat to the visual amenity of the area ( the building is already there, with minimum changes to front elevation) and one concerned publican concerned about the welfare of his staff.
    objections on noise grounds when there is no music and tv blaring, hence no need to roar? These objections make me laugh...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Idbatterim wrote: »
    It was for a pint of beer only (cant remember which one) Wine was E3.50 a glass, coffee 75c. Offer runs from 5th-22nd Jan from what I recall, they had the offer displayed on a poster in The Forty Foot. They also had a deal on a spirit and mixer, Jameson and one other I think...

Just walked past 40ft a minute ago, didn't note down everything that was on sale but they had pints of adnams, revisionist craft and I think one of their stouts on sale for €1.95 and certain spirits were €3.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

grimm2005 wrote: »
    Just walked past 40ft a minute ago, didn't note down everything that was on sale but they had pints of adnams, revisionist craft and I think one of their stouts on sale for €1.95 and certain spirits were €3.50.

You mean to say that the below cost price didn't force you to go in and get locked, kill your liver and start a fatal brawl ala Mary Mitchell O'Connor's stark warning??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

jaysus , cheap beer, lets all rush in and get locked, then abuse politicians

or alternatively we should stroll to that quaint irish pub, with the dirt and toilet from the 50s and pay 5 quid a pint, and praise our politicians are right and far seeing in preserving our alcoholic tradition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

I suspect, but don't quote me, that the bottled Irish craft beer in Wetherspoon is bought from a separate wholesaler and not from the breweries. That way they can sell it on at a miniscule margin and the producer has no say in the matter.

I know you said not to quote you :) but how does this work? They don't offer enough for the Kegs to say Irish Brewery X but offer enough to Wholesaler who buys from Irish Brewery X...and wholesaler, Irish Brewery X and JDW are happy money wise in this scenario (i know this scenario is bottles)?

symbolic wrote: »
    They don't offer enough for the Kegs to say Irish Brewery X but offer enough to Wholesaler who buys from Irish Brewery X...and wholesaler, Irish Brewery X and JDW are happy money wise in this scenario (i know this scenario is bottles)?
    Yeah, basically. Bottles in the pub are more expensive per volume so there's more room for mark-up along the way. I would say JDW would be happy to sell some at cost or even less because it lets them say they have a selection of Irish stout, and because the volumes are smaller than draught, the loss is more sustainable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

BoatMad wrote: »
    or alternatively we should stroll to that quaint irish pub, with the dirt and toilet from the 50s and pay 5 quid a pint, and praise our politicians are right and far seeing in preserving our alcoholic tradition

While getting our senses blasted with Sky Sports from plasma TVs hanging from every square inch of wall space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

I wonder if the staff in Wetherspoons here can multi task? In the UK they're useless, only taking orders at the till and then standing over a half filled pint of Guinness whilst ignoring other customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,174 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Wetherspoons provide one of the worst pub experiences I have sampled anywhere in the world. Truly awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

NIMAN wrote: »
    Wetherspoons provide one of the worst pub experiences I have sampled anywhere in the world. Truly awful.
    Why?

Can you expand on this post?

They provide cheap alcoholic drinks, cheap decent food in an comfortable environment with no music or tv. What is awful about that?

Yeah, basically. Bottles in the pub are more expensive per volume so there's more room for mark-up along the way. I would say JDW would be happy to sell some at cost or even less because it lets them say they have a selection of Irish stout, and because the volumes are smaller than draught, the loss is more sustainable.

I'd love to see all the prices along the way ☺anyone know?

Holsten wrote: »
    Why?

Can you expand on this post?

They provide cheap alcoholic drinks, cheap decent food in an comfortable environment with no music or tv. What is awful about that?

I hate going to the bar in a Wetherspoons. It seems to always take soooo long. And the staff just aren't like bar staff. That's the only downside for me. It's grand when I finally get served and hand them the change in my pocket for my pint or bottle though ha.

Attached 2.45 beer at 40 foot..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I mean, if you actually look at their menus.. how can anyone be against this?

Forty Foot Menu.

Holsten wrote: »
    I mean, if you actually look at their menus.. how can anyone be against this?

Forty Foot Menu.

Well I'm not against it, but I do find it's a poor bar experience. I can't even sit at the bar ☺. Give me a seat at the bar in against the grain and the latest and greatest beers in the country all standing in front of me!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

Some of the January deals in UK look good, hope they apply in Ireland.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/tag/wetherspoon

Wetherspoons January sale. Ham egg and chips £2.99

Buy Any Coffee @ Wetherspoons And For £1.00 Have A Shot (Cognac, Whisky, Bailey's etc) Added

Jamiesons, Amaretto, Tia Maria, Hennessey Brandy and Baileys for £1 at Wetherspoons when you buy a filter coffee

They do a good breakfast too, followed by a coffee with a shot I think tomorrow :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

symbolic wrote: »
    Well I'm not against it, but I do find it's a poor bar experience. I can't even sit at the bar ☺. Give me a seat at the bar in against the grain and the latest and greatest beers in the country all standing in front of me!

I hate having to reach over sitting people to get drinks at a bar. Also, Wetherspoons research showed that women found this off putting / intimidating in pubs.

Advertisement