Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a fan of the John Creedon show

Options

Comments

Light my fire!! Thanks John

• Registered Users Posts: 72,127 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Did John say it'll be 8pm till 11pm, starting from next week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Did John say it'll be 8pm till 11pm, starting from next week?

He did indeed. Although I think it might just be while the Olympics is on as he mentioned something about it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

That's fine by me. 10 to 11 suits me better for listening to music on the radio

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

I think they'll probably be going over to olympics coverage a bit during the show, so they've extended it so we won't miss too much of John's awesome music selection!

• Advertisement

There was an extended show last Summer too.

RTE are just trying to pass the time with something cheap during Slow News Month.

Very decent way to pass the time it is, too, so I'm not complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,006 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

There was an extended show last Summer too.

RTE are just trying to pass the time with something cheap during Slow News Month.

Very decent way to pass the time it is, too, so I'm not complaining.

Last summer saw a 10:30PM finish. As there is no Late Debate a large gap is there and there's only so much Book on 1 or Arts Tonight repeats we can deal with. I too would like a permanent 3 hour show for Mr. Creedon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

The extended show is so that John can introduce reports from Rio Olympics. Robbie Irwin did an Olympics show mixed with music tonight from 7pm until 12 midnight (Sun.)

Then Late Date does the same from 11pm to 2am

This is for the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Trebor176

As a recent regular listener, I have to say that I really enjoy the show. However, I'm not too happy with the amount of sports coverage eating into what is meant to be a music show. I imagine that other music lovers, who may not appreciate sport will be of the same view.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭holly8

Trebor176 wrote: »
    As a recent regular listener, I have to say that I really enjoy the show. However, I'm not too happy with the amount of sports coverage eating into what is meant to be a music show. I imagine that other music lovers, who may not appreciate sport will be of the same view.

Olympics games have ruined my evenings with John Creedon

• Advertisement

Agree. Even with an extra hour, I think we're hearing way LESS of John and his music than we would normally! If we wanted to hear a sports programme we wouldn't be listening to John Creedon... :(

Trebor176 wrote: »
    I only heard one evening this week (Monday) and John had a great rapport with Jacqui Hurley, whom I'm a big fan of anyway.

I was going to write to this thread and suggest that the show should become a music & sports show with John and Jacqui. I reckon they make a great team.

Good stuff so far tonight - 'Celebrate' by An Emotional Fish, and two from Herman's Hermits :D

Good interview there with the Irish volunteer in Rio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

I was going to write to this thread and suggest that the show should become a music & sports show with John and Jacqui. I reckon they make a great team.

I think you're on to something there. John seems to be into his sport going by twitter. On
    quieter sports nights they could have more music and it wouldn't feel out of place. They could get rid of Game On on 2FM in that case too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Noooo Nooooo Noooo NoNoNoNo No.
    Just NO!
    Creedon is a refuge from the relentless & inane "buddy buddy" sports chat drivel that Newstalk descends to nightly.

It doesn't matter if John is a sport fan or not - his listeners are music fans and that's why his show is good. Sports fans don't usually want to listen to a music show and music fans shouldn't have to listen to a sports show.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Take the sport to 2FM. John Creedon is a music show. Full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

I think you're on to something there. John seems to be into his sport going by twitter. On
    quieter sports nights they could have more music and it wouldn't feel out of place. They could get rid of Game On on 2FM in that case too.

No way. Next people will be suggesting that he should have the dreaded 'traffic and travel', so beloved by Irish radio stations.

Bad phone line...best play some more music, John :D

• Advertisement

The Creedon Show is the best BARR none.

I'll see myself out.

Eeden wrote: »
    Sports fans don't usually want to listen to a music show and music fans shouldn't have to listen to a sports show.
    I'm not so sure about that.

As time goes by, a lot of people are using apps like Spotify for their music. I enjoy listening to John Creedon, but he's not irreplaceable.

Now his coverage of the Olympics, mixed with all that fantastic Bossa Nova he was playing, was for me, some of the best coverage of the Olympics.

I'd love to see him take on topical sports events like the Rugby World Cup, Pro 12, and international athletics championships, as well as reporting on Irish soccer internationals. He obviously takes a great interest in sport, as he does for music; his enthusiasm and everyman opinions are very refreshing, in a time of tedious, fashionable technical jargon among 'pundits'.

The Kooks in decent record shocker! :O :D

After two weeks in France listening to the soft shyte sounds served up by their Radio stations, its great to be back to Creedon!
    Radar Love!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭FunkyDa2

FIP Radio (http://www.fipradio.fr/) makes for good listening. :)

FunkyDa2 wrote: »

Could only be better than France Bleu.....

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

FunkyDa2 wrote: »

Hey FunkyDa2. I thought I was the solitary FIP aficionado in Ireland. Fantastique. Got converted on a trip back to gay Paree a few years ago. Love it.

RADAR LOVE

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,006 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Last Friday he played Prince Buster and Enjoy Yourself in respect of his recent passing. Lilian Smith must have been moved by JC; she played the same track as well :)

• Advertisement

Last Friday he played Prince Buster and Enjoy Yourself in respect of his recent passing. Lilian Smith must have been moved by JC; she played the same track as well :)

Played two Prince Buster songs tonight as well (RIP).

Advertisement