Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Rail Corridor (Galway-Limerick section)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

TINA1984 wrote: »
    It is now possible to purchase tickets online for the WRC. No doubt this will lead to an increase in numbers using the line. According to RUI the ability to reserve a seat is not present, somehow I don't think that's going to be a problem :pac:
    Not a problem now, but it will be; they'll be riding on the roof now. The queues will be round the block once we get online booking; that was the only reason that people weren't flocking to this white elephant in their droves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

eastwest wrote: »
    [lack of online booking] was the only reason that people weren't flocking to this white elephant in their droves.
    Not the fact that it is "slow, infrequent, and costly"?

Online booking might make a tiny dent in the last part, but what about the first two?

I'd say Leo pushed for this to get WOT off his back. He's now put it back in their court. Of course, their next fallback position is to say that it's not being advertised properly, and their final one is to say, as Ming did on PrimeTime, that you can't get a cup of tea on it (I kid you not).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,609 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

eastwest wrote: »
    Not a problem now, but it will be; they'll be riding on the roof now. The queues will be round the block once we get online booking; that was the only reason that people weren't flocking to this white elephant in their droves.

While most people would agree with regard to the misplaced investment, the line is there and it's not going to close anytime soon.

Therefore anything that might boost numbers is a welcome development.

The fares aren't bad - €5.99 each way from Limerick to Galway and €9 return for students.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Laviski wrote: »
    losing money cause the trains are running empty. i have used this service several times and always empty. CIE just needs to reduce costs at all levels and be realistic with prices reward those who book online get those trains stuffed. and people would use it if it was cheaper than bus. Yes proberly not gonna happen like i've said but lack of online fares is being a drawback.

no more than leo taking away the tolls for truck drivers for a trial this should be done and if it still fails then by all means close the dam thing.

How much do you want the tickets to cost?

What costs can they reduce?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

not many paying anyway.... but lxflyer is right, everything should be done to promote this service (AND every other one equally.)

• Advertisement

monument wrote: »
    How much do you want the tickets to cost?

What costs can they reduce?

(echo) not many of the passengers pay anyway and more pertinently, they can only reduce costs by taking off trains.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,127 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

lxflyer wrote: »
    While most people would agree with regard to the misplaced investment, the line is there and it's not going to close anytime soon.

Therefore anything that might boost numbers is a welcome development.

The fares aren't bad - €5.99 each way from Limerick to Galway and €9 return for students.

Genuine question. Do you not find it a little offensive that this line is getting a lot of discounted fares in comparison to heavily used lines elsewhere? For example the Portlaoise commuter route beyond Hazelhatch has seen incredible price increases on basic day returns.

The fares aren't bad - they are absolutely fantastic. But is that approach not going to create a false economy of sorts?

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Genuine question. Do you not find it a little offensive that this line is getting a lot of discounted fares in comparison to heavily used lines elsewhere? For example the Portlaoise commuter route beyond Hazelhatch has seen incredible price increases on basic day returns.

The fares aren't bad - they are absolutely fantastic. But is that approach not going to create a false economy of sorts?

I'm going on the premise that whether any of us like it or not the line is going to stay open for the foreseeable future.

Accepting that, frankly they need to do everything they can to get more people onto it.

...and every other line. There is no reason to give this one special treatment,

I'm going on the premise that whether any of us like it or not the line is going to stay open for the foreseeable future.

Accepting that, frankly they need to do everything they can to get more people onto it.

Personally I doubt it will work. I don't consider the fares to be the problem. However I would be happy to see all the suggestions rolled out and put in place. Only then (without any goalpost moving) will we see the ultimate extent of the lines problems.

Still miffed at the low fare offers though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

Sixmilebridge to Ennis €8.10
    Sixmilebridge to Galway €5.99

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

Grandeeod wrote: »

Ennis - Galway €5.99, Ennis - Dublin €14.99, its about 1/3 the distance so I don't see any special treatment per kilometre travelled, the fare is probably more per Kilometre from Ennis to Galway, without measuring it.

I think you explained the reasons yourself, why would Irish rail need to discount heavily used lines when they are getting the business anyway.

It seems to me that Intercity and the cross country lines are the ones in trouble, due mainly to the motorways I think.

Perfectly understandable business decision to bolster weaker sections of your business with lower prices, no different to Ryanair or even a restaurant doing early bird or mid week specials.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I'd say that the west of Ireland would get more benefit from an improved Dublin-Galway service. If Portarlington to Athlone was double tracked and we had an improved Athlone station, a re-opened Athlone-Mullingar line and provide an hourly service to Dublin with some services to Heuston and some to Connolly/Docklands and An express service in the mornings and evenings taking two hours or less we'd be sucking diesel. It takes as long to get to Limerick and it's a less popular journey.

yers but that wouldn't be just for the Wesht...Dublin would benefit too and that would never do

(totally agree btw)

corktina wrote: »
    yers but that wouldn't be just for the Wesht...Dublin would benefit too and that would never do

(totally agree btw)

And what about Knock Airport? Don't we need a choo-choo puffing up the hill in case the pope comes back?
    Them crowd in Dublin gets everything, so they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭cgcsb

(totally agree btw)

It would also imrpove journey times between Dublin and Westport, we could even have Westport to Dublin journeys under 3 hours.

relaxed wrote: »
    Ennis - Galway €5.99, Ennis - Dublin €14.99, its about 1/3 the distance so I don't see any special treatment per kilometre travelled, the fare is probably more per Kilometre from Ennis to Galway, without measuring it.

I think you explained the reasons yourself, why would Irish rail need to discount heavily used lines when they are getting the business anyway.

It seems to me that Intercity and the cross country lines are the ones in trouble, due mainly to the motorways I think.

Perfectly understandable business decision to bolster weaker sections of your business with lower prices, no different to Ryanair or even a restaurant doing early bird or mid week specials.

Please don't quote Ryanair. Please don't mention any private enterprise. IE are not capable of making any business decision while receiving a state subsidy. Like with Like does not exist here. I'm in business so I know that you do not try to plug a hole in a service via weaker services based on a subsidy/and inability to make a return. I plug holes in my business via profit margins. I discount on the basis of gaining return from more profitable parts of the business at different times. Its self financed. Your business analogy is flawed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

€5.99 each way from Limerick to Galway and €9 return for students.
    I'm astonished at that fare, and fair play to IE for trying something.

However, they do say that the fares are promotional. I'm wondering if it's a case of let's see at what price point we can entice people onto the train for - without giving away the tickets. Once we get bums on seats we can then stop the promotion.

However, it doesn't address the frequency and length of journey issues - the latter, IMO, being the major problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭wonder88

There is a good offer/promotion for the Galway-Limerick train journey on at present. At last IR are making some effort to get people to use this service. A very scenic route as well.

Post move to correct thread -- as much as possible please keep posts clearly about one section of the WRC in the correct thread, thanks!

• Advertisement

wonder88 wrote: »
    There is a good offer/promotion for the Galway-Limerick train journey on at present. At last IR are making some effort to get people to use this service. A very scenic route as well.

Nothing wrong with positive swing. Personally I didn't find the line scenic.

Maybe you could post details of the offer as I haven't come across it?

Are IE missing a trick here? A commercial organisation should be building a data-base of rail-minded customers, I travelled that line and all they did was sell me a ticket. Up-Selling I think it is called.

OK that's online...I'm online....IE should be making efforts to glean customers email addresses so they can instantly tell someone who is a potential passenger of this offer.

That's what proper businesses do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

If you sign up to the newsletter you would have been told

You have to opt in to marketing junk mail,

OK that's online...I'm online....IE should be making efforts to glean customers email addresses so they can instantly tell someone who is a potential passenger of this offer.

That's what proper businesses do.

http://www.irishrail.ie/index.jsp?p=115&n=278

If you sign up to the newsletter you would have been told

You have to opt in to marketing junk mail,

what news letter?

my point exactly. If IE asked it's customers did they want to sign up , they might get somewhere

what news letter?

my point exactly. If IE asked it's customers did they want to sign up , they might get somewhere

The one I linked to the subscribe page of in my last post? The same one they have promoted on Facebook, Twitter and on the Irish Rail homepage? The one that's linked to beside the social media icons on ever page on Irishrail.ie? :)

To be fair - they have also promoted the offer on their Facebook page and on twitter, and there are posters in the stations.

monument wrote: »
    The one I linked to the subscribe page of in my last post? The same one they have promoted on Facebook, Twitter and on the Irish Rail homepage? The one that's linked to beside the social media icons on ever page on Irishrail.ie? :)

yes but I shouldn't have to find out from you!

every passenger collecting a ticket at every station should be given a card with the details on and asked to complete their detsils on it and put it in a box (for instance) ....now you're going to tell me they do aren't you!

ps the obvious thing to say really is you can't book online for the WRC so you wouldn't be there (or maybe you can book online now?)

• Advertisement

yes but I shouldn't have to find out from you!

every passenger collecting a ticket at every station should be given a card with the details on and asked to complete their detsils on it and put it in a box (for instance) ....now your going to tell me they do aren't you!

ps the obvious thing to say really is you can't book online for the WRC so you wouldn't be there (or maybe you can book online now?)

It hardly matters; most of the people using this line aren't paying (the rest of us are).

Advertisement