Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Rail Corridor (Galway-Limerick section)

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Kumsheen wrote: »

listen up IR

it seems that if you price it right, use modern trains ( that dont need to run at 100mph) provide regular services ( and even on Sunday - horror of horror)

people will elect to use trains

Limerick to waterford IR, Limerick to Waterford

you'd have to wonder wouldn't you.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭stop

Given that the article describes a "two-carriage train" can someone explain to me what change if any to rolling stock has been made since the launch of Galway-Limerick services?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

stop wrote: »
    Given that the article describes a "two-carriage train" can someone explain to me what change if any to rolling stock has been made since the launch of Galway-Limerick services?

Change from 2700 to 2800

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Am I right there's a 1000 passengers per week on what 5 services each way a day? And this is proof of success?

How many people are getting the cheaper, faster, more services per day bus from Galway to Limerick?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

1000/70 is such a small number I'm not even going to do the math!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,027 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

How many people are getting the cheaper, faster, more services per day bus from Galway to Limerick?

you forgot uncomfortable or average at best. in answer though, i'd suspect a hell of a lot less then those who will take the even faster, completely comfortable, go anywhere anytime car

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,602 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

corktina wrote: »
    I;d go along with that and add closing one or more of the small stations north of Ennis and considering an avoiding line for Athenry

I don't agree with bypassing Athenry - the extra trains there have generated significant amounts of local traffic. You don't bypass stations that are major traffic generators.

It also allows connectivity (if timetabled correctly) to/from Dublin.
    BoatMad wrote: »
    The issue will always be that waterford - Galway is a long torturous route, then adding express services limits the intermediate advantages, there havent been viable express trains on that route in years.

What "crossover " east of the flat crossing ? , east of the flat crossing is the waterford line ?

Read my post again - I was referring to the crossover on the Dublin/Cork line.

The relevance of that to this line is that the timetable for services between Galway and Waterford should be predicated on connections at Limerick Junction and built up on that basis.

Several years ago the crossover located on the Dublin/Cork line immediately east of the flat crossing carrying the Limerick/Waterford line was removed. This crossing was used by Dublin/Cork trains to access the platform at Limerick Junction. Since then, Dublin/Cork trains have to use the crossover located to the east of the direct curve to Limerick.

This means that they travel "wrong line" for over a mile, and thus if the Cork/Dublin train is running late, the Dublin/Cork train is delayed longer than necessary as it has to wait for the Cork/Dublin train to pass that crossover.

It also means that any connecting trains at Limerick Junction to Waterford or Limerick and Galway are delayed unnecessarily which is the relevance to this thread.

It's an example of short sightedness in terms of cutting maintenance costs while significantly reducing operational flexibility.
    stop wrote: »
    Change from 2700 to 2800

There is also an ICR operating from Galway to Ennis each evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

The relevance of that to this line is that the timetable for services between Galway and Waterford should be predicated on connections at Limerick Junction and built up on that basis.

Several years ago the crossover located on the Dublin/Cork line immediately east of the flat crossing carrying the Limerick/Waterford line was removed. This crossing was used by Dublin/Cork trains to access the platform at Limerick Junction. Since then, Dublin/Cork trains have to use the crossover located to the east of the direct curve to Limerick.

This means that they travel "wrong line" for over a mile, and thus if the Cork/Dublin train is running late, the Dublin/Cork train is delayed longer than necessary as it has to wait for the Cork/Dublin train to pass that crossover.

It also means that any connecting trains at Limerick Junction to Waterford or Limerick and Galway are delayed unnecessarily which is the relevance to this thread.

It's an example of short sightedness in terms of cutting maintenance costs while significantly reducing operational flexibility.

I know what you mean , just your directions, you mean NE of the flat crossing <grin>

is an alternative definition of IR, rampant removal of infrastructure, merely because it saves on CTC costs

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Anybody know where the crossings points are on this route besides Ennis/Athenry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Anybody know where the crossings points are on this route besides Ennis/Athenry?

Gort

Advertisement