Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Out of interest Sean said a few times he isn't even the best broadcaster in his house. Is one of his children in the industry or just a bit of self depreciation.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,982 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Out of interest Sean said a few times he isn't even the best broadcaster in his house. Is one of his children in the industry or just a bit of self depreciation.

His wife is/was a broadcaster.

Can't remember what she mainly did, but I remember her doing What It Says In The Papers, and tennis commentating!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭wildwillow

His wife is Caroline Murphy, also broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

wildwillow wrote: »
    His wife is Caroline Murphy, also broadcaster.
    Caroline Murphy used to do sports reporting.

IIRC, Sean said before that the first job that he went for in RTE was a sports reporter job and that it was Caroline who got it instead of him!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

ya need the right connections to get into Rte. Look at Turgidy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

blinding wrote: »

Never mind Tubridy, look at the talentless lotty ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rdwight

rdwight wrote: »
    RTE employees doing what they do best: telling each how wonderful they are
    HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    In fairness, one of the best current affairs broadcasters of our generation is finishing up today, a few words of praise certainly won't be begrudged by this listener anyhow.

A few words of praise: absolutely. 60-90 mins of platitudes from politicians, hagiography from the RTE canteen crew and self indulgence (a family dirge)?

rdwight wrote: »
    A few words of praise: absolutely. 60-90 mins of platitudes from politicians, hagiography from the RTE canteen crew and self indulgence (a family dirge)?

He worked there for 38 years ffs.

Get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Hopefully Audrey Carville gets the job from September, Sarah Mcinerney is very good aswell and should continue on the Late Debate or else give her the 1oclock news, imo 2 presenters does not work on that show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭Tork

Badabing wrote: »
    Hopefully Audrey Carville gets the job from September, Sarah Mcinerney is very good aswell and should continue on the Late Debate or else give her the 1oclock news, imo 2 presenters does not work on that show.

I really hope they don't give it to Miriam O'Callaghan or Cormac Ó hEadhra. I found myself moving the dial to Newstalk any time she came on. She was an absolute dose any time she stood in for Sean and those mmm mmm mmm sounds she made quickly became very irritating. Cormac Ó hEadhra hasn't done himself any favours either on his show. Hopefully RTE don't drop the ball on this one. They didn't when they replaced Pat Kenny so we'll see.

• Advertisement

I'm happy with Sarah McInerney for the moment, I think she's well suited to a more magazine style show, which that slot is, as much as current affairs.

Audrey Carville I think is better suited to straight current affairs (although to be fair I haven't heard her in that role, she might be brilliant).

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭popa smurf

It's going to be a female presenter anyway me think

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭sliabh 1956

Yes I would like to see Audrey Carville take over from Sean who I thought was excellent during his stint . I tuned in nearly every morning to listen to him .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Turgidy has been hanging around Montrose since he was in nappies!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I liked the SOR show a lot. I would have toggled between him and PK but mainly SOR.

Was his own man in there too. In Jan this year the producers seemed to be trying to shoehorn interviews/pieces about up and coming RTE TV programs into his show, as happens with D'Arcy and other programs. I don't think Sean was happy about it at all and after the first or second TV program plug...handled by a very disinterested Sean, it stopped:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,603 ✭✭✭✭elperello

All the best to Sean.

Gas the way he couldn't resist the scoop about the nuns and the hospital site, a newsman to the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Badabing wrote: »

Nah! McInerney much too lightweight...no gravitas ...just a shrill voice trying too hard .

Not good enough in this posters opinion...

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

I understood the replacements had been agreed and sorted. Sara McInerney for the summer slot and then Audrey Carville as the permanent job or is that not correct.

Sean O`Rourke, Marian Finucane and Mary Kennedy all now lost to RTE. What have we got instead. Ray Darcy, Mary Wilson etc. Not in the same league

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

Did i not hear somewhere, that the Bookies had stopped taking money on SORs replacement as there were truckloads going on Claire Byrne?
    Im very disappointed to see Sean go, he was a cracking interviewer, who didnt just allow people to witter on with the answer they wanted to give as opposed to the answer he wanted to get.
    Its the dawn of a new age, with his replacement, who will definitely be a woman. The only problem is that all the usual suspects, are, i believe, crap

• Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Wish SOR all the best. But we must move on with our punditry on his replacement, and a possible shake up.

Now if only Sarah Mc was on the weekend show instead of that whiny grumpy fella BOC, he is just not suited to that show at all IMO. But I don't know where to put him!

Audrey Carville is a straight up former BBC World Service journo. A bit too serious for the weekday show. I'm tying myself up in knots here. But interested in other people's views.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭boardise

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Marie Louise And And And And And And And And And And And O' Donnell

And And

:mad:

A bad case of conjunctionitis.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Best o luck and a happy retirement to Sean..

His show and sometimes PK would be the soundtrack to my working morning.

Was his interview with Willie O Dea mentioned on the wireless today?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Does his replacement really need to be a woman?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

sligojoek wrote: »

It was on the news on one tribute to him, they did a nice piece of his best bits. I didn’t get to hear all of his show.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

After the summer I hope who ever gets the gig is given a chance.

Thank God he is off the Payroll but we the Taxpayer still have to fork out for his overly generous pension.

Does his replacement really need to be a woman?
    Well obviously it can’t be a Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

sligojoek wrote: »

Yes it was

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭Tork

Thank God he is off the Payroll but we the Taxpayer still have to fork out for his overly generous pension.

Change the record.

• Advertisement

Tork wrote: »
    Change the record.
    Another Rte-er I suppose ! ! !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement