Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,886 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

pc7 wrote: »
    He'll be a big loss, if I don't listen to Pat Kenny I podcast SOR and vice versa.

Liked the song he finished with. God wonder who will take that slot now? Will they go for a woman, perhaps Sarah McIneney.

If M O'C is up for the gig, I'd say it's hers for the taking.

Sarah McInerney imv is much better suited to the weekend slot that BO'C has, it's a magazine show, she is good and articulate, whereas O'C is whiny and depressing.

I'd like O'Headhra to get SOR gig, but he can talk over people a LOT,

But If MO'C gets the gig that's RTE R1 finished for me.

Best of luck to SOR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Please not more Miraim O'Bleedin-Callaghan!

+1 But she's only a few years left and drifted into a different radio persona now. So hopefully safe on that front........

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

My guess is that it'll go to a female voice (Not Kathryn Thomas though!) if one can be found - would Claire Byrne be ready to return to radio? She was terrible at Newstalk but much better now on the telly.

CB shares news at 1 with Aine Lawlor most of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 23,826 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

DellyBelly wrote: »
    I'd give to Kathryn Thomas. A fantastic presenter and easy on the eye as well...

Will you have a word with yourself. This is not a magazine show about collections of belly button fluff and how painful is your period, its the most important current affairs show on weekday radio.

Give it to Katie Hannon in my opinion. A serious operator. Sarah McInerney either. And I find Cormac O hEadhra fine too, well able for any bluffers.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,977 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

My guess is that it'll go to a female voice (Not Kathryn Thomas though!) if one can be found - would Claire Byrne be ready to return to radio? She was terrible at Newstalk but much better now on the telly.

I think the secret of the magazine format is the quality of the staff around you...good editors and researchers and this slot seemed to always have them in abundance whereas the private stations didn't seem to make the same investment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,825 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Will you have a word with yourself. This is not a magazine show about collections of belly button fluff and how painful is your period, its the most important current affairs show on weekday radio.

Give it to Katie Hannon in my opinion. A serious operator. Sarah McInerney either. And I find Cormac O hEadhra fine too, well able for any bluffers.

Katie Hannon is a good shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Larbre34 wrote: »

As a new maawwwm I feel.....

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I find Cormac O hEadhra far too combative, his programmes lately just sound argumentative and ill-tempered.

I know the presenter has to ask the hard questions, but he's taken it a level too far for me.

And he is forever interrupting with another, different question, never lets the guest expand on their point.

Agree completely and he took that approach forwards from the Late Debate. But he has the smarts and is a Gaelgeoir with a blas that would go down well with the powers that be.... and maybe that's all that really matters? Plenty of miles to go as well. Not sure if he has the width of interests/ knowledge though - PK excelled here, S'OR perhaps less so as more of a political man, but still was listenable.

Still if they insist on keeping Tubridy in particular and Ronan Collins, maybe someone like Sarah McInerney will get the slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

I sure he has a column lined up with a newspaper but would Newstalk tempt him with a big offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

They might have a bit of a reshuffle and between Gavin Jennings, Mary Wilson, David McCullagh, Katie Hannon, Claire Byrne and Cormac Ó hEadhra.

Wasn't Marian Finucane planning to retire around now too? So they might have had a reshuffle in the planning for the departure of both her and SO'R

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Best of luck to Sean O'Rourke in his retirement - a great radio presenter, who had perhaps lost a bit of the edge in the last year or so.

In relation to successors, ye all seem to be forgetting the Morning Ireland crew. Surely some of them might appreciate not having to get up at godawful o'clock? The current lineup there is Rachel English, Gavin Jennings, Audrey Carville and Dobbo. All very good presenters.

If it was in my gift I'd give it to Rachel English. She used to do the drivetime slot and was excellent in that - well able to mix hard news and lighter topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

shockwave wrote: »
    I sure he has a column lined up with a newspaper but would Newstalk tempt him with a big offer?
    Probably a few books in him!

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

We do seem to elevate these radio and tv 'celebrities' to some sort of mythical status. Isn't it all a bit parochial still? He's retiring, so what. Is this really news?

Now being picked up by all the usual news outlets. FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭roverjoyce

Paul Cunningham or Aine Lawlor or Tony Connelly

You need somebody with knowledge of politics

is_that_so wrote: »
    Probably a few books in him!

Which he'll flog in due course courtesy of whoever takes over :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Which he'll flog in due course courtesy of whoever takes over :)
    It's the way of the world!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Laois_Man wrote: »
    They might have a bit of a reshuffle and between Gavin Jennings, Mary Wilson, David McCullagh, Katie Hannon, Claire Byrne and Cormac Ó hEadhra.

Wasn't Marian Finucane planning to retire around now too? So they might have had a reshuffle in the planning for the departure of both her and SO'R

:eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,311 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Cal4567 wrote: »
    We do seem to elevate these radio and tv 'celebrities' to some sort of mythical status. Isn't it all a bit parochial still? He's retiring, so what. Is this really news?

Celebrity has nothing to do with it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭TheFortField

I’ve always been a big fan of Pat Kenny’s but after his move to Newstalk I found myself spending more time listening to Sean O’Rourke. I’m going to miss him when he retires. In my view he was a proper old school journalist who first served his time working in print media before moving into broadcasting in RTÉ.

I’m not sure who I want to replace him, it’s probably easier to provide a list of people I don’t want - Clare Byrne, Áine Lawlor, Miriam O’Callaghan, Sarah McInerney.

I think Dobbo could work well in the role for a few years until he retires. Katie Hannon, Gavin Jennings and Rachel English are also possibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

It's a tricky slot, you need someone with a bit of heft, a current affairs junkie, who can also carry off the lighter stuff when required. MOC, Aine Lawlor, maybe dobbo could do that but not exactly screaming new blood there. I'd like Audrey Carville personally but she may be comfortable where she is for now. No idea really, they'll go for who they want to go for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66,977 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Would ya schtop!

John Humphry's leaving the Today programme on BBC Radio 4 was almost world news. :)

The man has had a long career in the public ear, it is a noteworthy retirement for those without a streak of begrudery.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Of course its news, its a flag ship radio show on RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I'd quite like Katie Hannon to take over. I don't get to listen to Late Debate often, but the bits I've heard she's always come across very good but with a good bit of humour too...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,826 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Paul Cunningham knows less than Jon Snow about politics and also has zero charisma. And for all the qualities Tony Connelly has, anchoring isn't one in my opinion.

I'd forgotten about Rachel English, excellent broadcaster. I'd say Audrey Carville and Maggie Doyle will have hats in the ring if they are given the chance. Maybe Aine Lawlor? Immersed in politics, sympathetic presenter on magazine type items too.

Can't see Claire Byrne moving from what she has established for herself just at the moment, but all in all Montrose has some heavyweight female talent. Except Miriam.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

It’ll have to be another FFG-er anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

On the one hand i think katie hannon, like tony connelly, is too good a reporter to be taken off that role, on the other she would likely do a good job so would be happy enough to see her get it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Sure don't they have the stings ready for Miriam

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

DellyBelly wrote: »
    I'd give to Kathryn Thomas. A fantastic presenter and easy on the eye as well...

She'll be buzy dodging falling buildings and alligators whilst nearly getting malaria watching a wildlife programme on a 4k tv with her mammy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I wish SOR a long and happy retirement.

He is one of the last of the old school journalists.

I will admit that when he took over I had my doubts but I was wrong.

It turned out he had the necessary depth of knowledge and experience for the job.

He will be missed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement