Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New home sale in Belmont, Stepaside, Dublin 18

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Lillian123

Just a quick update:

We have been advised by our solicitor not to proceed with the purchase of the house by signing contracts until such time as a clear title is available on the site. This is because Aiken properties currently do not own the land and they are the entity trying to sell the house. There is also mortgages registered in favour of AIB an Bank of Scotland against the land. And the contract also mentions SDR loans.

It is not looking good anyway think there is way too much stacked against this estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Jared20130204

hi Lillian,

The same advice has been given to us , so just depends now in whether they wait until land registry pushes the registration through....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Bells 1978 wrote: »
    Does that mean if you extend your house at the rear u will need planning permission as you will have used the exemption !

That's exactly what it means. You can extend up to 40sqm in total beyond the planning permission, as long as you leave a back garden of at least 25sqm. Bear in mind as well that the County Council will often make attach a condition for large housing estates that ANY extensions or material modifications to what was originally permitted will require a new planning application. Please make sure that there is not such a condition if you plan on buying one of those houses with an "exempted" extension at rear, otherwise you will have to apply and pay for retention.

I'm actually a little gobsmacked that they would try and pull a fast one like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 camo

Baileys4 wrote: »
    Hi Lillian123,
    On some of the other posters queries, I wouldn't recommend Sky Conway as you end up paying a monthly fee on top of the monthly bills. We went direct to UPC. We had electricity, gas etc when we moved in and just had to contact the providers with metre numbers, MRPN's etc to put in our name.

Hi

Were you actually able to get UPC in? UPC told me they don't have cable into the estate yet.

I don't understand how are people able to proceed with buying these houses, when the developers currently don't own the land and there is outstanding mortgages. We have been told by our solicitors in no uncertain terms strongly advising us not to sign the contracts. What sort of responses did the builders solicitors give to these issues?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭GavMan

Lillian123 wrote: »
    I don't understand how are people able to proceed with buying these houses, when the developers currently don't own the land and there is outstanding mortgages. We have been told by our solicitors in no uncertain terms strongly advising us not to sign the contracts. What sort of responses did the builders solicitors give to these issues?

Haven't people already posted that they did not sign until the title was sorted for them? I would imagine that is how they proceeded.

I suggest either pulling out or getting your solicitor to work through the issue with the developers solicitor until they are satisfied

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

GavMan wrote: »
    Haven't people already posted that they did not sign until the title was sorted for them? I would imagine that is how they proceeded.

That's kinda obvious though isn't it ? And it doesn't come even remotely close to answering the actual question being posed.

If the developers don't own the land and if there are outstanding loans, what did the developers solicitors do or say to satisfy the purchasers solicitors that it was safe to proceed with the contracts ? It's a reasonable question, particularly for those waiting to sign and being delayed due to this issue.
    GavMan wrote: »
    I suggest either pulling out or getting your solicitor to work through the issue with the developers solicitor until they are satisfied

Surely if you've read the thread you already know that Lillian 123 is currently pursuing both these avenues :confused:

It's interesting the level of defensiveness here and it leaves me wondering why.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭GavMan

Swanner wrote: »
    That's kinda obvious though isn't it ? And it doesn't come even remotely close to answering the actual question being posed.

If the developers don't own the land and if there are outstanding loans, what did the developers solicitors do or say to satisfy the purchasers solicitors that it was safe to proceed with the contracts ? It's a reasonable question, particularly for those waiting to sign and being delayed due to this issue.

Surely if you've read the thread you already know that Lillian 123 is currently pursuing both these avenues :confused:

It's interesting the level of defensiveness here and it leaves me wondering why.

The simple answer is because the poster has essentially asked the same question, multiple times and is non the wiser.

A satisfactory answer probably will not be gleamed from an internet forum. Thus my original advice of either working with your solicitor to find an acceptable solution/answer or pull out completely is valid here.

I've no vested interest in the development nor am I a potential buyer in the development (out of my price range)

Gavman, as you have not commented on this forum previously and have no vested interests in the site, I dont think your comments are that helpful.

I have not asked the same questions "multiple times", it may have been discussed. I know I am not going to "find the answer" from the thread but at least I can understand how people proceeded whilst we have been told we can't. Anyway other posters have kindly PM'd me details of how they were able to proceed, so that was useful for me and our situation.

If you have read through the thread, you would know that people have faced similar issues and this forum is used to discuss what is happening with the development.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Dregolan

Hey guys,

Were going up for the launch next week, no details on the time yet but can anyone elaborate on how things went down for the launch of previous phase's? Was there much of que? What time did the agent turn up on site?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 trveller72

Dregolan wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Were going up for the launch next week, no details on the time yet but can anyone elaborate on how things went down for the launch of previous phase's? Was there much of que? What time did the agent turn up on site?

Be there early, you my catch some of the houses from phase 1, 2, 3.;)

I rang DLR planning department today an they said a decision has been made: they have granted provisional permission for the extensions to the houses. There is a four week period in which people can object an following this if there is no issue, full planning permission will be granted. At least it's a bit of good news!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Baileys4

Dregolan wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Hi Dregolan,

At the launch of phase one the official time was 1pm from what I recall and a few people started queuing from 11am. The agents arrived around 11.30-12 to set up etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Dregolan

Hey thanks for the info guys, really helpful! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

Was up there looking around today. I found the streets are very narrow in the estate :/ can see issues with parking etc once everyone moves in.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭cmore123

I was told that my solicitor would have the contract about a week ago. No sign of it yet. Could it be they are not sending them out until the land ownership issue has been resolved?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭cmore123

Oh yes, re parking, we've two cars. How does that work? We can't be the only ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

cmore123 wrote: »
    Oh yes, re parking, we've two cars. How does that work? We can't be the only ones.

Surely there's two spaces per house? Is there any on-street parking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

Aard wrote: »
    Surely there's two spaces per house? Is there any on-street parking?

to me it looks like the streets are too narrow around the estate to allow for parking on both sides of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Shedzafew

There is off street parking for the majority of houses. In phase one the min is 2 spaces per house with a few communal spaces, not sure about plans for future phases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Bells 1978

I think that there are 2 spaces per house - yes its narrow up there but unfortunately they don't build estates like they used to! Overall, I think that it is a qaint development.

I cannot see how the developers could have gotten planning permission for land if they did not own it - it is my understanding that the owner of the land is the only person that can apply for planning permission for that land or a person other than the owner can apply with the consent of the existing owner? Is it not the case that the previous owner longer exists?

It would seem totally and utterly bizarre that the developers (if you believe that they don't own the land) could apply for and be granted planning permission for the development, commence building it, get sherry fitz to sell, have people buy and move into them and not own the land?

If this is the case, then Shatter made a huge mistake closing Stepaside Garda Station - the place is now lawless - delighted to be
    moving in!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

It seems bizarre to us too Bells...

We are facing some pressure now to sign our contract after indicating we want to wait for the land registration to be completed.

The developers' intransigence on this point surprises me a little. On the one hand we are hearing that the registration is at the last stage and should be completed no problem pretty soon and on the other hand they are telling us there is no way they are prepared to wait for this before we sign and no way either they could offer a clause that says the land registration must be done done before completion...

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Bells 1978

There are delays in the land registry at the moment - but I think that it can be resolved by way of solicitors undertakings - which I believe is standard when there are delays with dealings being registered in the land registry.
    If there was a serious problem I'd say no one would be in phase 1 - all the solicitors seems on the ball and aware of the issues - I'm trusting mine to deal with accordingly & protect our interests!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

How does a solicitors undertaking resolve that the land registry has has someone (person or company) down as the owner of the land an what protection does it give to the buyer?

Lets say the developers end up being unable to get the land in their name and the bank who is down as the owner asks you (the management company) to buy it from them or pay ground rent, what will the undertaking do to resolve this?

Edit: And in reference to the parking I can see there being serious issues in the future, the roads in phase one are very tight, not sure what they are like in the other phases but I would expect them to be the same. I doubt there is room for a car to park on the side of the road and left another pass, if will be fine while there are only two cars per household but I would expect there will end up being houses that have 3 or even 4 cars and I have no idea where these will go based on seeing phase one.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

I rang the land registry there with the folio number <SNIP> for the Belmont site, to see what the situation with the land was. She said that there is numerous outstanding charges and queries on the site, some have been sent back to NAMA and some to the developer.

She said it could take anywhere between 2 weeks and 2 years for something like this to be sorted, as there is some sort of dispute over ownership with NAMA which is delaying it. It is not simply a matter of waiting for an administrative issue to be sorted, there is underlying problems with ownership with the previous owner and NAMA.

Obviously she told me to take the legal advice from my solicitor, which is not to proceed with signing. But I don't understand how they can be putting pressure on people to sign with this undertaking, which may leave us with no leg to stand on if they don't end up getting the transfer of ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Lillian123 wrote: »
    But I don't understand how they can be putting pressure on people to sign with this undertaking, which may leave us with no leg to stand on if they don't end up getting the transfer of ownership.

Sounds like they're putting pressure on people to sign in the full knowledge that a resolution may not come any time soon. They can't afford to have a delay of that nature. They need your cash so they can complete the development.

There is updates and on the dlrcoco planning application regarding the contributions the developer has to make for infrastructure, roads and facilities, community and parks of approx €300k-400k, I wonder does this cover the roads and and pavements in the estate or just the surrounding areas.

Also I have downloaded the folio for the site, but I can't seem to upload a file here on boards. If anyone would like a copy of it for your own info just PM and I will send it on. It shows that there was a substantial number of people during 2004-2007 given some ownership of the land (maybe investors?). It then shows the AIB, and Bank of Scotland mortgages and charges and on 24th of July KAVMC is noted as the owner of the charge registered for present and future advances. KAVMC is the company registered under the current developers. I don't know if this info gives us anymore insight into the problem but does show the history with the site and the ownership issues.

Swanner wrote: »
    Sounds like they're putting pressure on people to sign in the full knowledge that a resolution may not come any time soon. They can't afford to have a delay of that nature. They need your cash so they can complete the development.

Yes that is exactly what they are doing, as they need the money to build phase 2 and 3. So looking at the date of 24th of July, it shows that the developers have been trying to get the ownership transferred for 6 and a half months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It's seems very simple to me guys... it's another example of the cowboy antics of the "good times" with EAs/builders applying pressure to close the sale on one side and over-eager/wanting to believe buyers on the other

The only way this sort of behaviour will change (and for me the most damning post in this whole saga is Lillian's conversation with the land registry and her solicitor above) is for buyers NOT to keep handing over money and signing contracts until ALL the facts add up.

I just hope that the people who have moved in don't end up holding the bag if it all falls apart down the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Jared20130204

Hi All,

I just called the Land registry as the dealing is now a mapping query. The guy couldn't discuss with me exactly what the query was but said the developers solicitors had come back with an answer that didn't satisfy his query so they need to come back with more info. in order to get the registration sorted.
    It's just a waiting game, but as Kaiser 2000 suggests, this type of "gun to head" , bully behaviour will only stop if We all stand firm and wait until the title deeds are sorted before signing.
    For anyone going to the phase 3 launch, be prepared for a fairly long road before you move into the house..... Even if We all walk away from our phase 2 houses and your promised those as a quick move in, you'll find it hard to get a solicitor to sign off on the contract and therefore difficult to draw down a mortgage!

Advertisement