Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wentworth Miller declines Russian Film Festival Invite

Options
12346»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

If he was a A list actor then maybe it would make worthwhile reading. This doesn't deserve its own thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

almighty1 wrote: »
    If he was a A list actor then maybe it would make worthwhile reading. This doesn't deserve its own thread.

It is odd that there are three massive names in the US film industry who clearly are (one married, one nearly divorced, both members of the same loony cult, and one more who has all but confirmed it himself in interviews). The producers just don't seem ready to market one yet, even though the general public in the Western world clearly is.

*: while Neil Patrick Harris is quite famous and influential, I don't count him in the above. Mainly because his sitcom is too ****ing awful to be regarded with any sort of acclaim. Apart from him the only one I can think of is the ginger from Modern Family. Never mind Russia, the US broadcast media is nearly as old school. Irish tv has nearly more out than they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,075 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭gdawg87

Loads do. Maybe these pointless "I don't care" posts that some people appear to think look really sharp of them could be done away with in AH and "Yore ma" brought back?
    Because "Yore ma" posts are certainly a far, far better contribution.

why must we care if some guy is gay? Great for him coming out, but what interest is it to the rest of us..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

gdawg87 wrote: »
    why must we care if some guy is gay? Great for him coming out, but what interest is it to the rest of us..

Well the fact that hes a celebrity that is using his status, even if its not a massive status, to stand up and protest whats going on in russia? Or maybe you dont care about people being beaten bloody because of their sexual orientation?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Sorry? When were there women licking each other out on O'Connell St?

It's okay, they were granted a lickher licence.

VinLieger wrote: »
    Or maybe you dont care about people being beaten bloody because of their sexual orientation?

How immature are you?

Maybe I do care, but what the hell am I supposed to do about it. A gay guy coming out aint gonna change it either. There's a lot of things I care about, like our pathetic government anally raping us, but that doesn't matter, nothing will change.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

How immature are you?

Maybe I do care, but what the hell am I supposed to do about it. A gay guy coming out aint gonna change it either. There's a lot of things I care about, like our pathetic government anally raping us, but that doesn't matter, nothing will change.

Of course nothing will change when people just shrug their shoulders. That's why people who have any smattering of influence are using it to make a stand. Which should be applauded, rather than dismissed.

old hippy wrote: »
    Which should be applauded, rather than dismissed.

no ones dismissing it, great for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Maybe I do care, but what the hell am I supposed to do about it. A gay guy coming out aint gonna change it either.
    I think it does. It adds to the process of neutralizing it.

People were free to hold silly preconceptions of gay people 20 and 30 years ago, bcause the only gay people they knew conformed to that stereotype and might have been more likely to come 'out' and more vulnerable to mockery.

But when you have people coming out who do not fit into that mould, it allows homosexuality to be just another personal trait of doubtful meaning, like being able to roll your tongue, or having dimples. It neutralizes the gay.

• Advertisement

no ones dismissing it, great for him.

"why must we care if some guy is gay? Great for him coming out, but what interest is it to the rest of us.."

Sounds dismissive to me. It's of interest because he's making a stand and hilighting the oppressive attitude towards gay folk in Russia.

old hippy wrote: »
    "why must we care if some guy is gay? Great for him coming out, but what interest is it to the rest of us.."

Sounds dismissive to me. It's of interest because he's making a stand and hilighting the oppressive attitude towards gay folk in Russia.

It's not dismissing. Like I said, great for him!! If he was a personal friend I'd buy him a pint..

It's not dismissing. Like I said, great for him!! If he was a personal friend I'd buy him a pint..

Join the queue.

Anyway, it obviously does interest you, coaxed you to post, didn't it? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

So the technical term is "chaps" is it? I thought you knew nothing about this non existent trend?:confused:
    Just because people know what assless chaps are, doesn't mean it's a "trend". Nobody said they were non existent.
    That's not what the thread is about; it's about a gesture he made in protest. I couldn't care less whether he's gay or straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Assless chaps are not a 'trend'.
    They are timeless.

Advertisement