Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wentworth Miller declines Russian Film Festival Invite

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

It's been heavily rumored that Wentworth Miller was in fact gay himself for years now.

Of course he is.

He's called Wentworth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Don't be getting so touchy lads.

If you want to discuss LGBT issues with universal back slapping support for each other, there are forums for that.

Don't get the hump when others disagree with you on After Hours.

I am disgusted and appauled with the manner that the government and police in Russia handle various human rights issues.

But I think the request by Fry and the action by Wentworth are insulting to many others.

Don't come on to After Hours and expect everyone to agree with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

token101 wrote: »
    I'd be willing to bet there's a good proportion of people who are vociferous in this whole campaign to boycott Russia would happily trot off on holidays to far more oppressive places like Dubai and Qatar.
    True. But it's part of the human condition not to be 100% consistent though. If we were to place that restriction on ourselves most of us would never speak out about anything. I agree with you on the UAE and the like though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

efb wrote: »
    Not from what I saw. can you give me examples of RT's Western liberal viewpoint?
    Have you been on their website? Every article I've read from them about this new law they've passed has been very neutral. I personally think they give western voices over Russian voices more attention, but maybe thats just me.
    http://rt.com/news/stephen-fry-sochi-gay-propaganda-190/
    http://rt.com/news/russia-olympics-gay-law-948/
    http://rt.com/news/russia-gay-law-myths-951/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Lapin wrote: »

If you want to discuss LGBT issues with universal back slapping support for each other, there are forums for that.

I am disgusted and appauled with the manner that the government and police in Russia handle various human rights issues.

But I think the request by Fry and the action by Wentworth are insulting to many others.

I didn't take any issue with your disagreement, merely your claim that "most" people shared your disagreement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Pai Mei

The only people they could be insulting are those with similar views to the Russians and I couldn't give a fcuk if it insults them

How are people doing that?
    There isn't really disagreement with what you said, seeing as you didn't really say anything. People were just wondering what the point of it was, as well as questioning how you can speak for most of the rest of us.
    Fair enough, you're only saying that now though - at least there's more substance to it than "I don't care".
    Personally, Stephen Fry's stupid quote about people who take offence makes it harder for me to take him seriously, but otherwise, what's insulting about what he and Wentworth Miller are doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Lucas Castroman

Prison Break???...Surely he'd miss all the shower action

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I dont but your blasé response was called into question, dont come to After Hours and expect not to be challenged on your statements.

Have you been on their website? Every article I've read from them about this new law they've passed has been very neutral. I personally think they give western voices over Russian voices more attention, but maybe thats just me.
    http://rt.com/news/stephen-fry-sochi-gay-propaganda-190/
    http://rt.com/news/russia-olympics-gay-law-948/
    http://rt.com/news/russia-gay-law-myths-951/

I wouldn't say thats neutral at all. I'd call it very selective.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

And others are entitled to express the opinion that it's a stupid pointless thing to post. Especially one speaking for "most of the rest of us".

I disagree. To declare that you do not care is a legitimate comment, look at any opinion poll and see the number of "undecideds" and interpret many of those as "don't cares" (Do you want FF or FG in the next Gov? I don't care, cos they are both the same). I suppose the most relevant comments are the ones who declare WHY they don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

True. But it's part of the human condition not to be 100% consistent though. If we were to place that restriction on ourselves most of us would never speak out about anything. I agree with you on the UAE and the like though.

I'm not saying people shouldn't speak out. What I'm saying is that earlier poster was right when he said that most people don't care in any meaningful way and are only backing this whole thing because it's the latest cause celebre and Stephen Fry's behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭cheesefiend

I know this is just an anecdote and isn't evidence of anything but could explain why there isn't more conversation in Russia. My friend is from Russia, she's fairly well read, keeps up to date with Russian news, talks to her parents everyday on the phone and when I mentioned the controversy surrounding Russia's stance on homosexuality and the Winter Olympics she had absolutely no idea what I was talking about.

She told me that they barely report bad news and that if there was any kind of disturbance in Moscow, be it a crazed gunman or anything negative she wouldn't hear about it in the news. Her family in Armania would, more often than not, be the ones informing them of what happened. The level of propaganda just seems outrageous. I suppose it's not news to anyone else but it surprised me.

I'd be willing to bet there's a good proportion of people who are vociferous in this whole campaign to boycott Russia would happily trot off on holidays to far more oppressive places like Dubai and Qatar.

i wouldn't.

I'm not saying people shouldn't speak out. What I'm saying is that earlier poster was right when he said that most people don't care in any meaningful way and are only backing this whole thing because it's the latest cause celebre and Stephen Fry's behind it.

Or because it means something to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

It's under the 'equality umbrella'.

Well done though. You've defaced the first page telling everyone how little you care.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Pai Mei wrote: »
    The only people they could be insulting are those with similar views to the Russians and I couldn't give a fcuk if it insults them

So Fry's letter to Cameron wasn't an insult to the hundreds of athletes who have trained for years to participate in the Winter Olympics ?
    How are people doing that?

There isn't really disagreement with what you said, seeing as you didn't really say anything. People were just wondering what the point of it was, as well as questioning how you can speak for most of the rest of us.

My initial point was a brief response to the OP (whose posts on boards I love and respect by the way). But I don't think anyone can simply come on here, post an equally brief comment with a link and expect everyone to nod in agreement with him.
    I dont but your blasé response was called into question, dont come to After Hours and expect not to be challenged on your statements.

I'm always happy to accept a challenge. Especially on After Hours.

So Fry's letter to Cameron wasn't an insult to the hundreds of athletes who have trained for years to participate in the Winter Olympics ?

My initial point was a brief response to the OP (whose post I love and respect by the way). But I don't think anyone can simply come on here, post an wqually brief comment with a lionk and expect everyone to nod in agreement with him.

I'm always happy to accept a challenge. Especially on After Hours.

Where is my expectation of agreement???

So Fry's letter to Cameron wasn't an insult to the hundreds of athletes who have trained for years to participate in the Winter Olympics ?.

Well I don't know what that was I was more referring to "Wentworth's actions" as you stated them being insulting. How is not going to a country where he is discriminated against and people like him beaten up "insulting"??

Pai Mei wrote: »
    How is not going to a country where he is discriminated against and people like him beaten up "insulting"??
    Aye. Bit of a strange one to focus on as the "insulting" one.

Yeh I'm not seeing where people are demonstrating how they only expect agreement and get ass-hurt when disagreed with. :confused:

Whatever celebs get behind this, I don't care. So long as there's awareness and the potential to put pressure on those who enforce this.

• Advertisement

I believe Fry suggested Vancouver as the alternate venue for the Olympics, not for them to be cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

Holy ****. He looks amazing for 41.

Nichololas wrote: »

I know.

Nichololas wrote: »

Sorry, hands off :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Whilst the stand is the correct one to make (and the letter was well-written indeed), it has to be viewed in the context of Miller himself being gay. There's a certain degree of (understandable) self-preservation at play here. If I were in his shoes I probably wouldn't run the risk of being imprisoned over there. In fact by not travelling these new laws are having their desired effect - the suppression of free speech.

What is needed is for other actors and actresses (of all sexualities) to protest against the laws in Russia, akin to what a number of athletes at the recent World Championships did. Even small gestures can make a big impact and hopefully stir larger, more powerful organisations into action (IOC and FIFA - I'm looking at you).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Whatever celebs get behind this, I don't care. So long as there's awareness and the potential to put pressure on those who enforce this.

There's no potential for it to go anywhere because it's a niche campaign and it'll fade to nothing eventually just like the human rights stuff did in Beijing in 2008, because deep down, not many, or enough, people cared.

There were 1300 people gassed to death in one day in Syria yesterday and there's still no agreement between US/Britain and Russia on how to proceed. They can't agree because they are afraid of disjointing ties with Cold War allies. Do you really believe that David Cameron has any intention of upsetting diplomatic ties with Russia, a nuclear power, over laws surrounding gay people?

If people really cared they start boycotting anything to do with the Olympics, FIFA and their sponsors for bringing their products to these regions. Will that happen? I wouldn't hold my breath!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

It's under the 'equality umbrella'.

Well done though. You've defaced the first page telling everyone how little you care.

I agree with him, I simply could not give a ****.

I always find when I don't give a **** about something I just don't read or post to the thread.

I always find when I don't give a **** about something I just don't read or post to the thread.

I'm sure an opinion can be teased out eventually. If they really didnt care they wouldnt post. What drew them to the topic?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Sometimes I do. I need it to be known that I just don't care and that is a valid response in many cases.

Like when someone mentions that Stephen Fry has farted, they need to be told it's something I don't care about.

Advertisement