Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wentworth Miller declines Russian Film Festival Invite

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Lyaiera wrote: »
    Excuse you! He is exceedingly pretty.
    But T Bag just called him "pretty".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

He's gay!??

how come it is that when someone comes out, or you find out their gay, it suddenly makes so much sense? the stance, the insistence of getting into prison at all costs and then getting out only to go back in? I'd say he was noshing off the gang when the cameras weren't rolling. wouldn't be able to help himself apparently.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

You have to hand it to Putin for standing up to certain extremities of modern society when no other Western politician would dare. He is not entirely right and has maybe gone too far but he has a point in certain instances.

You have to hand it to Putin for standing up to certain extremities of modern society when no other Western politician would dare. He is not entirely right and has maybe gone too far but he has a point in certain instances.

Damn those gay extremists and their terror parades!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Lapin wrote: »
    The volume of posts challenging my tenacity to express an opinion that differs to yours is a start.
    There was no opinion expressed, there was just "I don't care". People aren't persecuting you for having a different opinion - it's all in your head. If you explained your reasons for taking issue with this, that would be a different opinion and it would be grand. You're imagining shouting-down where there isn't any, because you're just assuming it's the default position.
    You have to hand it to Putin for standing up to certain extremities of modern society
    We... "have to"?
    when no other Western politician would dare. He is not entirely right and has maybe gone too far but he has a point in certain instances.
    Like what? Just asking.

• Advertisement

Leftist wrote: »
    Damn those gay extremists and their terror parades!

I think the laws are more to do with preventing blatant violation of law and culturally accepted tradition at parades than anything else. Their thinking seems to be that whilst public nudity seems to be illegal in most of the EU, dressing like a biker with arseless pants seems to get a free pass as long as you are at a parade doing it with a few thousand others. I love going to strip clubs for an old laugh and a drink, but I can see a reason why women going down O'Connell Street on a float with tits out licking each other out at midday might offend the general publlic, even if I personally would enjoy the sight. Similarly, I can partly understand the Russian laws they have just drafted.

Like what? Just asking.

Like sending his police out to brutally beat gay protesters. Everyone has a right to a peaceful opinion. Including the protesters, and including Putin. Putin ****ed that one up.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I think the laws are more to do with preventing blatant violation of law and culturally accepted tradition at parades than anything else. Their thinking seems to be that whilst public nudity seems to be illegal in most of the EU, dressing like a biker with arseless pants seems to get a free pass as long as you are at a parade doing it with a few thousand others. I love going to strip clubs for an old laugh and a drink, but I can see a reason why women going down O'Connell Street on a float with tits out licking each other out at midday might offend the general publlic, even if I personally would enjoy the sight. Similarly, I can partly understand the Russian laws they have just drafted.

Sorry? When were there women licking each other out on O'Connell St?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

women are what on o'connell street?

when is this happening?

Sorry? When were there women licking each other out on O'Connell St?

When yer oul wan was there.

If you can't fathom a realistic and intelligent rebuke and ignore the issue you clearly have a problem with, nor can I.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I realise this is off-topic, but when you add a person to your Ignore list *cough ^ cough*, is there a way to make their quoted text disappear too?

do they wear arseless pants?

I've seen one or two gay marches, one of them blocked my way across the road and I couldn't get to the pharmacy. I had the flu at the time and wasn't going to walk through the parade incase i was accidently photographed or loads of them tried to finger me hole off.
    But i saw no arseless pants.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

ugh LGBT have swarmed the thread... boo

If you can't fathom a realistic and intelligent rebuke and ignore the issue you clearly have a problem with, nor can I.

Where is the realism or intelligence in what you posted? :confused:

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

ugh LGBT have swarmed the thread... boo

Swarmed? Talk about overreacting just because one or two lgbt posters give their opinions

Terry Pratchet

Where is the realism or intelligence in what you posted? :confused:

Nowhere, in terms of realism.

My example was blatantly hypothetical.

You attempted to make it look like said event had actually taken place.

There seems to be a rule here against calling someone an idiot. Is there a rule against deliberately misrepresenting what another poster said?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I've marched in 5 yet to see arseless chaps or lesbians performing oral sex on each other.

Wait.

Where is this happening on O Connell Street and how much does it cost to watch?

On topic -
    You really have to feel sorry for the Russian people sometimes. For so long they lived under the oppression of people like Stalin and Lenin and when the USSR falls and it looks like they're finally free, they get someone like Putin.

Or was the example just to paint homosexuals in a negative light?

efb wrote: »
    Or was the example just to paint homosexuals in a negative light?

Thought so. Because the only thing I see on O Connell Street mostly are junkies and tourists.

• Advertisement

I've marched in 5 yet to see arseless chaps or lesbians performing oral sex on each other.

What is the point in discussion if yourself and MS just want to deliberately misrepresent and selectively quote a post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

*Chuckle*

What is the point in discussion if yourself and MS just want to deliberately misrepresent and selectively quote a post?

What was the point of that post then and the need to include the arseless chaps and oral sex references?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

mickstupp wrote: »
    I realise this is off-topic, but when you add a person to your Ignore list *cough ^ cough*, is there a way to make their quoted text disappear too?

Unfortunately not.

What was the point of that post then and the need to include the arseless chaps and oral sex references?

So the technical term is "chaps" is it? I thought you knew nothing about this non existent trend?:confused:

This is getting ridiculous. Nobody in London has a problem with St Patrick's Day parades. It might get problematic if marching in Ra leather jackets and berets uniforms became a part of it. Similarly, with some education, the Russian public would not have a problem with gay pride parades. It is the piss taking that Putin seems to be opposed to.

So the technical term is "chaps" is it? I thought you knew nothing about this non existent trend?:confused:

At pride parades I don't.

I'm still marvelling at your comment on female oral sex, or were you trying to be a cunning linguist?

This is getting ridiculous. Nobody in London has a problem with St Patrick's Day parades. It might get problematic if marching in Ra leather jackets and berets uniforms became a part of it. Similarly, with some education, the Russian public would not have a problem with gay pride parades. It is the piss taking that Putin seems to be opposed to.

So why the need for such a draconian law? And the heavy handedness in dealing with protestors?

At pride parades I don't.

I'm still marvelling at your comment on female oral sex, or were you trying to be a cunning linguist?

My point is thus:

The main thinking of the Putin regime, and the Russian people, seems to be a fear than technically illegal, excessive displays will happen on the streets of Russia, rather than dignified expression.

Apart from deliberately misrepresenting my comments, not one person has addressed the theory.

Discuss or STFU.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

So why the need for such a draconian law? And the heavy handedness in dealing with protestors?

I'm guessing because of the macho culture that's very prevalent in Russian society, which has been brought very much to the fore under Putin's "leadership". They fear "otherness" and see it as detrimental to the Russian character. It appears to be anything but an inclusive society and I believe the pressure must be kept up to hilight Russia's ugly stance on homosexuality.

• Advertisement

I have said his laws go too far.

I have said he should not be sending police to beat protesters.

Funny how you didn't notice that but spun a completely different story out of some other things I said.

Advertisement