Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 5

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

jesseps wrote: »
    If your battery is dying, check in settings and search "wifi scanning" and you may see "wi-fi scanning is on"
    I've done that (via Location settings) and it's still draining very very fast when WiFi is on. I'm talking a 1% every few minutes. I've tried other things I've seen listed like switching to 2.4Ghz band only but no luck. WiFi uses about 40% of the battery when turned on. It makes the phone unusable then.
    By comparison there's no issue when it's using 3G. In fact the battery life is probably better then.

Has anyone overcome the WiFi issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

ixoy wrote: »
    I've done that (via Location settings) and it's still draining very very fast when WiFi is on. I'm talking a 1% every few minutes. I've tried other things I've seen listed like switching to 2.4Ghz band only but no luck. WiFi uses about 40% of the battery when turned on. It makes the phone unusable then.
    By comparison there's no issue when it's using 3G. In fact the battery life is probably better then.

Has anyone overcome the WiFi issues?

Nope, WiFi has been murdering my battery life. I left it idle for a while yesterday and it plummeted from 40% to 11% in about two hours. I hadn't actually touched it, I was too busy playing Batman.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Good guide to the WiFi problem. I switched to 2.4 only & turned scanning off. It's made a big improvement.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/google-nexus-5/help/wifi-plaguing-android-marshmallow-t3220031

• Registered Users Posts: 40 jesseps

Discodog wrote: »
    Good guide to the WiFi problem. I switched to 2.4 only & turned scanning off. It's made a big improvement.

This only works for 2.4 or can it also work with the 5.0?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

http://forum.xda-developers.com/google-nexus-5/help/wifi-plaguing-android-marshmallow-t3220031

Tried that and it made no difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Had to replace my battery. Had it since launch so it's to be expected I suppose

Had to replace my battery. Had it since launch so it's to be expected I suppose

Where did you go to replace the battery or did you send it in?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

its actually quite easy to do it yourself. its a like a 10-15 minute job.

the bigger problem is getting legit batteries - i think lg doesnt make them anymore and outsourced production to samsung (hence all the people getting samsung batteries) that have 1900 mah or so. apparently they're rated the same as the original 2300 mah lg batteries, but i'd be sceptical.

http://www.************.ie/shop/lg-batteries/502-lg-nexus-5-bl-t9-battery.html
    G_s_m solutions . Ie boards doesn't like the url for some reason Google nexus 5 battery Ireland
    Delivered to the door in two hours. Make sure to get the tool kit too. Handy job to do. It's not an official battery but given my phone was on its deathbed it's worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

http://www.************.ie/shop/lg-batteries/502-lg-nexus-5-bl-t9-battery.html
    G_s_m solutions . Ie boards doesn't like the url for some reason Google nexus 5 battery Ireland
    Delivered to the door in two hours. Make sure to get the tool kit too. Handy job to do. It's not an official battery but given my phone was on its deathbed it's worth it

I think a litany of terrible feedback, and plenty of suggestions of dodgy business practises has caused boards.ie to add their name as one string to the swear filter. Basically they seem to rank about on a par with a certain online "retailer" that sounds a lot like BeerFest...... Just take a look here for examples of bad feedback

• Advertisement

cython wrote: »
    I think a litany of terrible feedback, and plenty of suggestions of dodgy business practises has caused boards.ie to add their name as one string to the swear filter. Basically they seem to rank about on a par with a certain online "retailer" that sounds a lot like BeerFest...... Just take a look here for examples of bad feedback

Fair enough. I had no issues

One thing that killed my battery today was "Trusted Faces". I went from 30% to 2% and after that happened, Google Maps would shut off my phone. What I found amazing, after restarting my phone and turning out "Trusted Faces", my battery went from 2% to 18% in about 30 minutes. I still did not try to use Google Maps.

One thing that killed my battery today was "Trusted Faces". I went from 30% to 2% and after that happened, Google Maps would shut off my phone. What I found amazing, after restarting my phone and turning out "Trusted Faces", my battery went from 2% to 18% in about 30 minutes. I still did not try to use Google Maps.

your battery is definitely done. i used to use trusted faces, and use google maps every now and then. battery life is just fine on my nexus 5. it had an influence on battery life, but i would still get throught he day comfortably. get a replacement battery.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Well Fridays software upgrade finally Killed my Nexus5:( It starts then gets in to a loop of starting an stopping. It maybe about time for a new phone anyway.
    I thought that I had it 3 years and was going to say it was great for a 3 year old phone but it must be 2.
    Phones appear to have got stupidly expensive since I last bought one so no idea what to upgrade to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Moonbeam wrote:
    Well Fridays software upgrade finally Killed my Nexus5 It starts then gets in to a loop of starting an stopping. It maybe about time for a new phone anyway. I thought that I had it 3 years and was going to say it was great for a 3 year old phone but it must be 2. Phones appear to have got stupidly expensive since I last bought one so no idea what to upgrade to.

Wugs nexus toolkit usually sorts out the bootlooping on my nexus 5 with a forced factory reset.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I will give it a go ,Thanks:)

I am already on 6 & I just got a new update. Anyone know if this fixes any issues ?

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭kev250

Anyone got an old or broken nexus 4. Looking for the back cover

I am already on 6 & I just got a new update. Anyone know if this fixes any issues ?

if its a 5-6 mb update, its the november security update

murfilein wrote: »
    if its a 5-6 mb update, its the november security update

Yes l noticed that. I have never seen a security update before & I've been on Android for three years.

• Advertisement

Yes l noticed that. I have never seen a security update before & I've been on Android for three years.

monthly security updates are a new thing with marshmallow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Anyone know if you can get a nano sim tray for the original nexus 5 to replace the micro tray?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

JohnK wrote: »
    Anyone know if you can get a nano sim tray for the original nexus 5 to replace the micro tray?

would it not be easier to spend €5 and buy a nano sim adapter. Your nano sim fits into the adapter, and the adapter fits into tray for a micro sim. Most if not all phone shops sell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

It would but reading this like this http://www.androidcentral.com/warning-using-sim-adapter-incorrectly-brings-down-world-hate makes me pretty wary of that approach.

murfilein wrote: »
    monthly security updates are a new thing with marshmallow

They are a pain in the arse is what they are. Take ages to 'optimise' the apps whatever that means

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Any suggestions for a decent car holder for my N5?
    Dashboard is "cobbled" so it has to be from the windscreen. Weight of the phone (and cover) broke the arm on the last cheapo one I got.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Have this for over year. I'd say I'll have to pry it off the windscreen in the end...

The push\click works well also...

Thanks. Will give that a go.

Gryzor wrote: »
    Have this for over year. I'd say I'll have to pry it off the windscreen in the end...

The push\click works well also...
    It's very good. Had to take the chunky cover off the phone but it works really well and is super solid.

• Advertisement

That would be nice if it had a wireless charger

Advertisement