Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Discodog wrote: »
    Thanks. Just spotted it :)

It took me a good while to spot it when it was downloading for me so it's not just you! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40 jesseps

No battery improvements for me. Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

jesseps wrote: »
    No battery improvements for me. Oh well.

i think android takes a while to "settle". maybe it helps to delete cache or even make a factory reset.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

Definite improvement in battery life, not sure exactly how much yet and will post back but noticeable so far

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Just after getting the ota update, hope like hell it does something about the battery

• Advertisement

Just got an ota on both my nexus 5 and 7. However on the 5 it was marshmallow, but on the 7 it was a small 9 MB update. Security maybe? Stage fright? What's up with that?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

JohnK wrote: »
    Just after getting the ota update, hope like hell it does something about the battery

Same here. It would really want to do something about battery life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

murfilein wrote: »
    Just got an ota on both my nexus 5 and 7. However on the 5 it was marshmallow, but on the 7 it was a small 9 MB update. Security maybe? Stage fright? What's up with that?

Same here, OTA on the N5 2 days ago, a tiny 9mb update on my N7 30mins ago, think the N7 is just a little starter for the full MM upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

Got the update last week and its definitely helped the battery life. It's mainly on stand by that the battery is improved rather than in use. I could have the phone on standby for hours and would only loose 1% where as before I'd be looking 10-20%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

Battery at 12% after a days use, its never lasted this long without a midday charge, will see how it goes after a week

• Advertisement

scudzilla wrote: »
    Same here, OTA on the N5 2 days ago, a tiny 9mb update on my N7 30mins ago, think the N7 is just a little starter for the full MM upgrade

same here. yesterday both my nexus 5 and 7 showed an update. 400 something mb on the 5 which was marshmallow, but just 9 mb on the 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

So my battery started draining more today. I checked & discovered that wifi was using lots of battery only, according to my drop down & status bar, wifi was off. I clicked on wifi & it said that it was on :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

Discodog wrote: »
    So my battery started draining more today. I checked & discovered that wifi was using lots of battery only, according to my drop down & status bar, wifi was off. I clicked on wifi & it said that it was on :confused:

When you click on it this turns it on as far as I know. Check your settings there is one that allows Google to search for WiFi networkseven when WiFi is off this is probably what's draining your battery.

Bored_lad wrote: »
    When you click on it this turns it on as far as I know. Check your settings there is one that allows Google to search for WiFi networkseven when WiFi is off this is probably what's draining your battery.

Yes it was. I had it turned off but the update turned it back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 BarnaP

I got the Android 6 upgrade last night. I have had a lot of battery trouble recently. I notice almost every time I take a photo with the phone it takes the photo and shuts down. Looks like the camera is totally draining the battery. Has anyone else come across this and is there anything I can do? Apart from not using the camera!

BarnaP wrote: »
    I got the Android 6 upgrade last night. I have had a lot of battery trouble recently. I notice almost every time I take a photo with the phone it takes the photo and shuts down. Looks like the camera is totally draining the battery. Has anyone else come across this and is there anything I can do? Apart from not using the camera!

Yes it's a known issue but it was supposed to be fixed. The camera doesn't shut down after use. A restart usually cures it but I installed current widget which can warn you if the drain is above a pre set level.

Another option is to use an app like Cameraless which turns off the camera.

try a cache wipe and maybe even a factory reset. my n5 works perfectly fine with marshmallow, camera is not making problems at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 BarnaP

I am using messenger for text messages. How can I backup the messages before doing a factory reset?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Technophobe

My phone (dialler) is playing up....
    Proximity sensor not working properly and I am not able to hang up calls..

anyone else experience this since upgrade ?

I am using messenger for text messages. How can I backup the messages before doing a factory reset?

use "g cloud" to back them up and restore them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Some funny stuff going on with WiFi power usage. It's showing WiFi as the main power user almost all the time, even if I have it manually switched off! All the settings are correct as far as I can see including disabling the "scanning even if Wifi is off" one, or whatever its called. The only thing that I can think of is that location is set to "high accuracy" which includes WiFi, so maybe that's switching it on even if it's manually disabled which is a bit naughty.

My phone (dialler) is playing up....
    Proximity sensor not working properly and I am not able to hang up calls..

anyone else experience this since upgrade ?

I had problems with Gravity Screen which uses the Prox sensor. I am sure that it has something to do with the new power saving Doze mode. The developer confirmed this & said that the polling had been changed on the Prox sensor.

Try settings > battery > battery optimisation > all apps

You can turn off any app that you don't want Doze to effect.

Alun wrote: »
    Some funny stuff going on with WiFi power usage. It's showing WiFi as the main power user almost all the time, even if I have it manually switched off! All the settings are correct as far as I can see including disabling the "scanning even if Wifi is off" one, or whatever its called. The only thing that I can think of is that location is set to "high accuracy" which includes WiFi, so maybe that's switching it on even if it's manually disabled which is a bit naughty.

I posted this earlier

So my battery started draining more today. I checked & discovered that wifi was using lots of battery only, according to my drop down & status bar, wifi was off. I clicked on wifi & it said that it was on.

I think that the wifi switched itself on.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Also having battery draining issues with WiFi. I believe everything is disabled that should be.
    I also had a huge battery drain of about 20% yesterday in the space of an hour when the phone was barely in use.

Something is going rogue. The doze feature performing poorly too. No difference from Lollipop.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭nukin_futs

Since I updated I have constant issues with wi-fi connection (only tested with UPC at home).
    This seems to be limited to my phone as two other devices connect and stay connected with no problems.

The wi-fi will drop out, both while browsing and while locked, and then keep trying to reconnect. If I check the status it is usually stuck on "Obtaining IP address", or else will cycle through "Connecting" - "Obtaining IP address" - "Connecting".
    It is not coming up high on my power usage.

I wonder is this contributing to the some people's battery drain?

And has anyone experienced/resolved this?

nukin_futs wrote: »
    Since I updated I have constant issues with wi-fi connection (only tested with UPC at home).
    This seems to be limited to my phone as two other devices connect and stay connected with no problems.

The wi-fi will drop out, both while browsing and while locked, and then keep trying to reconnect. If I check the status it is usually stuck on "Obtaining IP address", or else will cycle through "Connecting" - "Obtaining IP address" - "Connecting".
    It is not coming up high on my power usage.

I wonder is this contributing to the some people's battery drain?

And has anyone experienced/resolved this?

You can stop apps from "Dozing" but it appears that you can't turn it off for wifi

I have noticed a definite difference in the way that wifi behaves

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

JohnK wrote: »

After a few days to settle down my battery is doing fantastic now; took it off the charger at about 7:55am this morning and about 11 hours later it had only lost 25%. Typically I'd be down to around 40% by now if not lower; no comparison to how it was so long may it continue... or you know, until my 6P arrives in two weeks :pac:

From what I have read it suggests that the battery will last longer if the phone isn't moving. Apparently Doze uses the accelerometer to decide if it can shut apps down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭pah

For people complaining of problems with marshmallow have you upgraded ota or flashed/factory reset. I always go for a fresh flash and never have a problem with new software.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 jesseps

If your battery is dying, check in settings and search "wifi scanning" and you may see "wi-fi scanning is on"

Advertisement