Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you smoke?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

do you put the 'bacco in the vape,or do you use a substitute ?
    sorry for the noob questions

I'm assuming there is no tobacco? Isn't that the whole point of vaping? I could be totally wrong though, I don't really know much about it.

I'm just so glad I never got into smoking. Have probably smoked a total of 3 cigarettes in my life, each more gross than the last and made me feel like crap the next day with a really dry throat. Always find it hard to understand why people get into smoking when I'd imagine most people didn't enjoy their first few cigarettes.

I must say I do feel sorry for people who are addicted but it's hard to understand why some people make no effort at all to quit. Sure, you might argue it's your choice and you're hurting no one but yourself, but what about your loved ones who could be left behind if you get a killer lung disease? Utmost respect for those who try to quit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Meangadh wrote: »
    Always find it hard to understand why people get into smoking when I'd imagine most people didn't enjoy their first few cigarettes.

Most people don't enjoy their first Guinness either.
    I must say I do feel sorry for people who are addicted but it's hard to understand why some people make no effort at all to quit. Sure, you might argue it's your choice and you're hurting no one but yourself, but what about your loved ones who could be left behind if you get a killer lung disease? Utmost respect for those who try to quit though.

You could say almost the exact same thing about any addiction. Humans are ****, addiction is hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

I'm assuming there is no tobacco? Isn't that the whole point of vaping? I could be totally wrong though, I don't really know much about it.

I'm just so glad I never got into smoking. Have probably smoked a total of 3 cigarettes in my life, each more gross than the last and made me feel like crap the next day with a really dry throat. Always find it hard to understand why people get into smoking when I'd imagine most people didn't enjoy their first few cigarettes.

well you gotta die of something right? i will probably be totally flamed for this but i would rather die a bit younger before the alzheimer's gets me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Use to smoke, now vaping 6 months or so, have no idea why I ever smoked always hated them and was always trying to quit, anyway bottom line is, if for some reason I couldn't get my hands on my vaping gear,I'd never go near another filthy cigarette again. Cant stress how much I hate and regret ever smoking. Oh well such is life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

No-one in my family smokes.

Pretty sure no-one in my extended family on either side of the family tree smokes either - cousins/uncles&aunts are all pretty local and none of them smokes to my knowledge.

I wonder what the stats are like in terms of how likely someone is to be a smoker if a family member smokes compared to if they come from a family where no-one smokes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

No, never would either, well I managed to make it to 24 without smoking so I doubt ill start now

Glad I grew up in a time where the dangers of smoking was constantly in the media, and the fact that they have grown ridiculously expensive in the last decade. The bones of 10 euro a pack! Give me the money any day.

Also seen my Grandad pass away from lung cancer almost 4 years ago, wasn't a pretty sight. He smoked for 60 years, he gave up in the last 10 years of his life but the damage was already done. If seeing that is not a good incentive to not start, I don't know what is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭Corvo Attano

I never really seen the attraction at all. I've seen all my mates I go out with fall one by one but no matter how often I'm offered its just not attractive. Still hang with them in a smokers area and what not but its just not for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I smoke a pipe (normal tobacco, etc) about 3-4 times a year. That is it. Special occasions. Never had an attraction to cigs though, just one of those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

REXER wrote: »
    I only smoke when I am on fire!
    (I have however never yet been on fire.)

Jaysus your on fire tonight
    ef43596c40e35ce8d96353881d0ddc5809c539e_t.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I look down on smokers and quite proud to say so.

I consider those who smoke as inferior in some ways to those who don't.

Messy, smelly, dirty, unhealthy, selfish...

Not to mention the disgrace that is second hand smoking...

Butts all over the streets...

Meh.

I'm always amazed how morally indignant smoking can make some people.

You don't smoke, great. No need to act the high and mighty asshole about it, though.

Looking down on someone because they indulge in a perfectly legal habit is kinda pathetic. I honestly don't know anyone without any vices, do you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Off them just over one year after more than 20 years of heavy smoking, can't believe how dumb and blind I was, it's only when you stop that you truly consider what a mess they make of your health. Feel f*&^&*g great now that I'm off them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

Nothing more disgusting than a pregnant woman smoking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Rubeter

I smoke, love it and over the last 30 years have never once thought of giving it up, stuff that in your machines and smoke it. :P

Rubeter wrote: »
    I smoke, love it and over the last 30 years have never once thought of giving it up, stuff that in your machines and smoke it. :P

Hope u enjoy your ventilator when ya get old :)

Dtp79 wrote: »
    No you don't, you just felt the need to respond to my post with the rather pathetic attitude of the non smoking Herrenvolk.

No you don't, you just felt the need to respond to my post with the rather pathetic attitude of the non smoking Herrenvolk.

No you just said how much you love smoking. I just said that...as a result of your disgusting habit, that you'd be on a ventilator when your old and I hope you enjoy it as much as smoking

• Registered Users Posts: 30,429 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

To be fair you have no proof of this.

No you just said how much you love smoking. I just said that...as a result of your disgusting habit, that you'd be on a ventilator when your old and I hope you enjoy it as much as smoking
    I don't hope you "enjoy" any serious medical interventions you may need in your life, in fact I actually hope you don't need any.
    Unlike you I don't sneer at people for doing things that may hurt them, there are many many things in life that people enjoy that are dangerous, and I always wish people well with them.

ps. sneering at people in context of their health is more disgusting than smoking.

I don't hope you "enjoy" any serious medical interventions you may need in your life, in fact I actually hope you don't need any.
    Unlike you I don't sneer at people for doing things that may hurt them, there are many many things in life that people enjoy that are dangerous, and I always wish people well with them.

I do apologise. I mean you no ill health. Forgive my choice of words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Social smokers are the worst. **** off and buy your own.
    Yeah I smoke about 10 a day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

I don't see the need for a "social smoker" option in the poll.

Social Smoker = Smoker

Just a cop-out to tell yourself you're not a smoker when you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,429 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Social Smoker = Smoker

I put the option social smoker on the poll because I know a few lads who might smoke once or twice a year and this would be simply to chat women up on the smoking area. Whilst these people might be smoke I wouldn't exactly call them full time smokers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

cloud493 wrote: »
    Social smokers are the worst. **** off and buy your own.

Hated them people when i smoked. ****ing Leeches.
    Afraid to buy their own in case they woke up with 5 left in the morning and start smoking them, hence becoming addicted. Hated them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Yes. I started when I was 13. Worst decision of my life. However, they are enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Social Smoker = Smoker

More self-righteous bull****. Do you ever get tired of yourself? Using that logic everyone who drinks a glass of wine is an alcoholic.

I smoked about 20 a day for nearly 25 years. I gave up totally at first and now I have an occasional smoke when I feel like it.

So having some experience here I caan safely say there's a hell of a difference between being a "social smoker" having 3 or 4 a month and smoking upwards of 20 a day.

The difference between a full time smoker and social smoker is the latter finds it much easier not to light up at every opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I'm off cigarettes 10 years this January and it was VERY rough giving them up but ultimately worth it. A couple of times a year I'll still have a nightmare that I started smoking again and I wake up the this enormous relief.

I didn't become a self righteous non-smoker and lots of my friends do. I don't mind being around smokers. However I do feel sorry for people who [claim to] enjoy smoking too much to give them up. I always hated being a smoker.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭macgrub

studiorat wrote: »
    Using that logic everyone who drinks a glass of wine is an alcoholic.

Different context. I wouldn't consider somebody who drinks a glass a wine an alcoholic, but I would consider them a 'drinker'.
    Same way I wouldn't consider a social smoker necessarily addicted, but I do still consider them a smoker. You smoke or you don't. It's black and white.

So having some experience here I caan safely say there's a hell of a difference between being a "social smoker" having 3 or 4 a month and smoking upwards of 20 a day.

I am in total agreement with you here. There is a major difference. What's more, this is a difference that only smokers, and ex-smokers, would understand.
    Nevertheless, my top point is still withstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭bobsoice23

Off them 6 weeks tomorrow,smoked for four years.Only 22 so decided to quit now before it's too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

More self-righteous bull****. Do you ever get tired of yourself?

No
    Using that logic everyone who drinks a glass of wine is an alcoholic.

Your logic is wrong. Or, rather, your understanding of my logic is wrong.

People who smoke socially = smokers
    People who drink socially = drinkers

Quite simple.

Of course, a heavier smoker or a heavier drinker runs a greater risk of suffering any negative impacts but a smoker is a smoker.

I smoked about 20 a day for nearly 25 years. I gave up totally at first and now I have an occasional smoke when I feel like it.

So you're a smoker.

Of course. But they are both smokers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

Never smoked and never will. Gets kind of annoying sometimes though when I'm left inside to mind the seats/drinks while everyone fecks off for a smoke.

Advertisement