Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match Thread - Mayo v Tyrone - All Ireland Football Semi-Final

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Padkir wrote: »
    Not too far off the mark I'd say. Don't know about dominating midfield in the first half though. I would reckon Mayo will be 2 or 3 points up at half-time and kick on more than that in the last 15 mins though and would reckon:

Mayo 2:15 Tyrone 0:11

or something along those lines. Can't see Mayo being as gung ho for goals given the tight defence so could see a lot of "nearly" goal chances just being popped over to keep the scoreboard ticking over. Morgan is a great keeper and one or two big saves might just inspire Tyrone.

Cillian O'Connor to nab a goal and pop over 6 or 7 frees along the way.

You reckon it'll be 10 points? That's a hammering and I can't see it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,123 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

You have to admire this kind of attitude. He sounds like a guy who is constantly trying to improve. And that is a very admirable trait.

There are many players who reach their county team and think "thats it, I have made it now" and dont try to improve. However, O'Connor does seem different (according to this article anyway), look at how he is testing himself with free-taking from his weaker side.

That's the kind of Mayo team I have been seeing for years on end.
    Get on the team or even the panel and they thing they are top man around town.
    I think the Mortimer incident was the nail in the coffin for that type of attitude, this team was going to be selected on form and effort and not on history.

Not too far off the mark I'd say. Don't know about dominating midfield in the first half though. I would reckon Mayo will be 2 or 3 points up at half-time and kick on more than that in the last 15 mins though and would reckon:

Mayo 2:15 Tyrone 0:11

or something along those lines. Can't see Mayo being as gung ho for goals given the tight defence so could see a lot of "nearly" goal chances just being popped over to keep the scoreboard ticking over. Morgan is a great keeper and one or two big saves might just inspire Tyrone.

Cillian O'Connor to nab a goal and pop over 6 or 7 frees along the way.

Morgan is not starting

Anyway I am not sure how to call it, there are times when I think Tyrone will win and others when I think Mayo will.

But as we have seen day in day out this year teams have struggled with the physicality of the Mayo backs and as a result I cannot see Tyrone ever being in a position to score much, and they have not lit up the scoreboarsd anyway this year.
    That combined with the fact that Mayo get scores from a range of players and places should be the basis of how Mayo will win this

Mayo 5-23 to Tyrone 0-10 I think :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

5-23 to 0:10 I think :)

Hard to see Tyrone getting 5 goals :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Morgan is not starting

Anyway I am not sure how to call it, there are times when I think Tyrone will win and others when I think Mayo will.

But as we have seen day in day out this year teams have struggled with the physicality of the Mayo backs and as a result I cannot see Tyrone ever being in a position to score much, that should be the basis of how Mayo will win this

5-23 to 0:10 I think :)

lol

I didn't even notice that comment. Patkir's obviously been keeping a close eye on the Tyrone games if he thinks Morgan will be in goal. Hasn't played since the Donegal game and is out for the season.

So I deduce, not watched Tyrone properly all year but predicts we will be beat by 10 points. It's hard to predict a winner when you only know about one team and what you hear on the Sunday game about the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Jayop wrote: »
    You reckon it'll be 10 points? That's a hammering and I can't see it happening.

Yes, money on it and all! I think it might flatter Mayo a little as I believe they'll only really pull away in the last 15.

lol

I didn't even notice that comment. Patkir's obviously been keeping a close eye on the Tyrone games if he thinks Morgan will be in goal. Hasn't played since the Donegal game and is out for the season.

So I deduce, not watched Tyrone properly all year but predicts we will be beat by 10 points. It's hard to predict a winner when you only know about one team and what you hear on the Sunday game about the other.

I have seen a lot of Tyrones games this year actually, which I have explicitly stated previously. Any of the ones not on tv, I saw highlights. I was at the league semi vs Kildare, since you were previously keen to say they got further than Mayo in it. I can only base my opinions on what I've seen. I've seen them play plenty of times this year and they have not impressed me. If they were playing Dublin, i'd predict a similar scoreline, maybe 7 or 8 points in it.

On the Morgan comment, that's my bad, I don't know the lad to see and didn't realise he was injured. Whoever was in goal the last few games for tyrone was good. My point still stands, I don't think you'll see Mayo be as gung ho for goals with such a tight defence. Don't get me wrong, if the opportunity opens up, they'll go for it. But the half chances that need to be manufactured a bit more will probably just be thrown over the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,861 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I have seen a lot of Tyrones games this year actually, which I have explicitly stated previously. Any of the ones not on tv, I saw highlights. I was at the league semi vs Kildare, since you were previously keen to say was where they got further than mayo. I can only base my opinions on what I've seen. I've seen them play plenty of times this year and they have not impressed me. If they were playing Dublin, i'd predict a similar scoreline, maybe 7 or 8 points in it.

On the Morgan comment, that's my bad, I don't know the lad to see and didn't realise he was injured. Whoever was in goal the last few games for tyrone was good.

Easy mistake to make if you don't watch a lot of football especially seen as Morgan didn't do anything out of the ordinary like come up the field to take frees or anything like that.

While I would love to see Mayo beat Tyrone and they look to be a seriously level headed bunch of guys (great credit goes to Horan and Shannon for this), I would be afraid that they may find it hard to get back up to the level they played against Donegal.

Mayo were waiting for Donegal since last September and felt they had to right the wrong. That's what the message was all year, similar to Donegal being told they just HAD to beat Tyrone in the first round. Getting back up to that level again will be nigh on impossible and from what I've read and heard the Mayo football public just think they will steamroll Tyrone.

Now Mayo probably don't need to get to the level they showed in the 1/4 final to beat Tyrone, if they all drop performance and focus by just 5% then that's a big drop throughout the team.

Mayo probably will beat Tyrone and like I said I hope they do, but I really hope that the Mayo lads have been wearing the headphones they use in training 24/7 to blot out the wild expectations and over confidence that appears to be rife in the county.

BPKS wrote: »
    Easy mistake to make if you don't watch a lot of football especially seen as Morgan didn't do anything out of the ordinary like come up the field to take frees or anything like that.

No need to get smart.

I just assumed they took him off free-taking duty given the fact that he was atrocious vs Donegal, Cavanagh was banging over anything within 40 yards and McCurry (maybe it was McAliskey?) had proven himself able to knock over 45s.

As stated before, my original point still stands. I have seen enough of Tyrone this year to know if there's something to really fear. I haven't seen that.

The players will know they can't be complacent (as you said yourself they're a level headed bunch), but they'll also know that they're well capable of putting Tyrone away if they play to their strengths. Therefore, any high expectations shouldn't affect them in the build-up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Typical guff. Watch the game again with your head out of your arse. Tyrone were the more sinned against team in that game and that plonker Duffy from Sligo gave one of the worst refereeing performances I ever seen.

I was talking about the quality of their play. They were awful. Ref was bad for both teams aswell.

So I won't be watching it again, and head up my arse would have been preferable first time around.

Also, isn't it interesting you automatically assumed I was referring to Tyrone's 'style'?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

yop wrote: »
    Top form or cocky! :D

I didn't hear it, "bath night" in our house so couldn't hear a bean with 2 kids screaming. Is there a podcast?
    Bit of both, good show

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

ColeTrain wrote: »
    In 306 myself, great seats.

You're only as good as your last game. Tyrone have to be taken care of before we start looking at All-Irelands.
    I want to see Mayo go at them from the start and keep the momentum going.
    In 305 myself, happy out! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

HOw did ye get to fit a puegoet 305 and a 306 into croker, surely ye need tickets for them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

kupus wrote: »
    HOw did ye get to fit a puegoet 305 and a 306 into croker, surely ye need tickets for them
    Twas some Fiat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Mayo should have enough but nothing ever certain in sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Thinkstoomuch

Id love to c mayo win,i have nothing against tyrone,i just think mayo were superb,against donegal,and played their best game,two early.

Tyrone wont allow it become a fast game.If its a dogfight,tyrone to edge it.

Tyrone have just done enough in every game,their is more in them.And there is huge pressure on mayo.They had the bit between their teeth and the revenge factor for dongeal.If the same mayo turn up,they will win.A big ask.

Tyrone have that now,with the over top and unfair crithscim by the media on them.The whole world is against them,they believe.A dangerous team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

I remember seeing Tyrone in the league against Galway last year and thinking "This team is gonna do something in the next couple of years". I was hugely impressed by them. I didnt see them live again until this year (v Meath) and they impressed me a lot again. Their work rate both with & without the ball is really something you can only appreciate fully when you are at the match.

I do not think people are over-estimating Mayo in this thread (as Mayo are a top top team) but I am getting the impression that some people may be under-estimating Tyrone a little. I havent seen the Tyrone teamsheet, has it been named?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Mayo to win by six points - 1-16 to 0-13. I feel Mayo are fitter and will have more in the tank towards the closing stages of the game. O'Neill hasn't had a great championship so far and I think the Mayo backs will be well able to handle Sean Cavanagh, especially with Keith Higgins bombing back as need be. Tyrone's victories this year have been grinded out by going ahead early on in the game and protecting their lead towards the end, I don't think they'll be able to maintain any sort of lead against Mayo for very long.

Cannot wait to see how the battle of midfield plays out, will be the main talking point of the game I reckon!

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

Much as I admire tyrone - I think most neutrals (even a few from galway) hope mayo win

Good as they were v donegal, can Mayo play as high a standard and will Tyrone and their methods allow them to

petronius wrote: »
    Much as I admire tyrone - I think most neutrals (even a few from galway) hope mayo win

Good as they were v donegal, can Mayo play as high a standard and will Tyrone and their methods allow them to

At this stage I am convinced they can.

this team have been hammering lesser teams all year
    They have been fast, strong, intensive, tackled brilliantly all season, there is no reason to suggest that they will not do the same against Tyrone.
    There is no away they will 'ease off' in some way for this game.

I think it's setup for a big Mayo win.
    Tyrone play the ball slowly out of defence, Mayo as we have seen put pressure far up the field and get stuck in to create turnovers, the first two goals v Donegal came from turnovers in the Donegal half of the filed (I can't remember how the second two were created)
    So with Tyrone moving the ball out slowly they are going to be prime targets for Mayo turns overs, which could very easily be turned into Mayo scores
    If Tyrone go for long kick-outs they have to deal with AOS in midfield.
    And as I said in an earlier post Mayo's physical defence has destroyed everyone this year and Tyrone are not know for their scoring ability in the first place.
    Mayo on the other hand have scorers up and down the field

I would not be one bit surprised if the margin was north of 10 points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Packing light for the trip up to watch both Mayo(+ West Roscommon) teams.

For any Mayo supporters stuck in bad seats, I'm in the lower Hogan, nigh-on half-way and nestled under plenty of cover. Them's the breaks, lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,069 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I have nothing against Tyrone but would love to see Mayo win AI this year.

Its now or never imo.

I have nothing against Tyrone but would love to see Mayo win AI this year.

Its now or never imo.

Well it's now or another 5-7 years
    I expect them to win this game, I would not be as convinced if they meet Dublin in the final however
    And if this group of players/management loose another All Ireland final there is no way that they would e able to go the distance in 2014 or for a few years after that, we saw the same happen in 96/97 and 04/06

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Well it's now or another 5-7 years
    I expect them to win this game, I would not be as convinced if they meet Dublin in the final however
    And if this group of players/management loose another All Ireland final there is no way that they would e able to go the distance in 2014 or for a few years after that, we saw the same happen in 96/97 and 04/06
    Players still seem very fresh All in early to mid twenties Only one married player Best two forwards very young Mcglougjlin n OConnor AOS n SOS on upward curve Another settled year of Horans management if they dont win this year well capable The depth of talent is far ahead of those previous Mayo squads

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Year four of as intensive an era as Horan's is going to be a bàstard if there's no pot of gold secured. I wouldn't write Mayo off but it would be an up-hill battle. It's less about age profile and more about mental fatigue at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 dermot1979

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Mayo by 7. They'll simply overwhelm Tyrone with their pace and the sheer number of attacking options.

Yeah I think the pace will be key. I think Tyrone will look for Mayo to come at them which for other teams like Donegal has been their destruction. Dublin, Mayo, Kerry are the only three teams I thought at the start of the year would get to an all ireland. I hate saying it but Mayo won't get it this year, I think we are 12 months away. I'm still going to be in the cusack shouting them on. :)

Syferus wrote: »
    Year four of as intensive an era as Horan's is going to be a bàstard if there's no pot of gold secured. I wouldn't write Mayo off but it would be an up-hill battle. It's less about age profile and more about mental fatigue at that point.

No matter what sport I alway think the quality of player will usually get you through. I don't see any team with Mayo's forwards and fire power. I forget the average scoring per game but its huge. I wish it was Dublin or Kerry we were playing tomorrow so we could see what level we are at now. Dub or Kerry will win it this year I think but if Mayo get to the final it will be one of the closest in years.

Listening to newstalk there. Go 34 mins in and listen to one of their key players (stephen o neill) http://www.newstalk.ie/player/listen_back/10/3550/23rd_August_2013_-_Off_The_Ball_Part_1

Stephen says first "the games between them have always with one or two points " and in the next line he goes "the way mayo are playing at the moment it could be a scary scoreline that maybe you wouldn't want to be part of" . Now that's not a confident sounding man, but his honesty is very refreshing, so credit to him

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Mayo to win for me... they made the final last year, they look even better this year. It won't be easy and they can't afford to take the match for granted, I'd say it'll be closer than Donegal for sure.

I like Tyrone, have some class players, Sean Cavanagh has been as brilliant as ever but I just don't see them having enough to beat Mayo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Tyrone are punching above their weight by even getting this far. They're not a top team anymore. Well, top 7 or 8 yes, but not All-Ireland contenders.

They have a top manager, a few outstanding players, a great work ethic and the mindset of winners, so they will not be easily beaten.

But for me they're a pale shadow of what they were a few years ago and the young players coming through, while talented, have shown nothing to suggest that they are going to fill the boots of the 03-08 players.

Good they may be but are they as good as Canavan, Jordan, McMenamin, Dooher etc? On all known evidence so far, not even close. They will make a game of it and I'm pretty certain Mayo won't be winning this one by 16 points. But it's hard to see anything other than a Mayo win.

That said, from a betting perspective Mayo in Croke Park as favourites always comes with a health warning, so I won't be in any hurry to steam in at odds of 1/3. Mayo by 4.

Advertisement