Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match Thread - Mayo v Tyrone - All Ireland Football Semi-Final

Options
  • 18-08-2013 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,075 ✭✭✭✭

Well with the hurling over I now think it's time for this.

Mayo are Connaught Champions having beaten Galway, Roscommon and London and beat Donegal in the Quarter Final

Tyrone lost their Ulster championship quarter final game to Donegal and since then have beaten Offaly, Roscommon, Kildare, Meath and Monaghan

To be honest I cannot see anything but a Mayo win
    In a nut shell I do not think that Tyrone have the forwards that can cope with the physicality of the Mayo defence and do not have the backs to handle Mayo attack.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

do not have the backs to handle Mayo attack.

Since the defeat to Donegal in Ulster Tyrone have conceded 0-8,1-7,0-12,2-9 and 0-12. consistent defending but clearly this game is a step up from the last four games.

Looking at Mayos attack and selecting the six likely forwards to start this game and what they have scored in the championship thus far.

Alan Freeman 1-9 (0-3 frees)
    Alan Dillon 0-5
    Cillan O'Connor 6-13 ( 9 frees and penalty)
    Kevin McLoughlin 0-8 ( 5 frees)
    Andy Moran 1-3
    Richie Feeney 0-3

O'Connor stands out with the six goals scored and hard to believe before this year his only championship goal was against Kerry in 2011 semi final.

I do not think that Tyrone have the forwards that can cope with the physicality of the Mayo defence

I don't think so either nor are they scoring enough. Mayo should win this game though it should be closer contest than Mayos last four games.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,075 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Since the defeat to Donegal in Ulster Tyrone have conceded 0-8,1-7,0-12,2-9 and 0-12. consistent defending but clearly this game is a step up from the last four games.

Looking at Mayos attack and selecting the six likely forwards to start this game and what they have scored in the championship thus far.

Alan Dillon 0-5
    Andy Moran 1-3
    Richie Feeney 0-3

O'Connor stands out with the six goals scored and hard to believe before this year his only championship goal was against Kerry in 2011 semi final.
    Not to mention the 2-10 they have got from Keegan, Vaughan and Boyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Can't see Mayo losing this one but that's when Mickey Harte's men are most dangerous

I'd line Mayo out as follows

K O'Malley
    T Cunniffe
    G Cafferkey
    C Boyle
    L Keegan
    R Feeney
    K Higgins - Follow Joe McMahon back when he goes to play sweeper and push him up the field

D Vaughan - 3 Across the middle with Vaughan marking Cavanagh,Vaughan's Pace,Fitness and general attacking ability should keep big Sean honest
    S O'Shea
    A O Shea

K McLoughlin
    A Dillon
    C O'Connor
    A Freeman
    A Moran

• Registered Users Posts: 34,061 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Like Dublin I think Mayo will win by about 4-6 points

• Registered Users Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭corny

Mayo will win simply because they are way more mobile than the team they're facing. That'll translate into a very comfortable 6-10 point win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭JoeCole26

Have 2 adults and 2 kids tickets for the Semi Final v Tyrone, section 309, lower Cusack - beside each other - looking to swap for 2 Premium Level tickets if anyone interested PM me. Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Mayo SHOULD win, though Limericks defeat goes to show how you can't ever be certain.
    10-15 mins should be vital, if we take a lead of 3 or 4 points in that period then I would expect us to come out with a 5 or 6 point win. We have avg of 15 point winning margin this season, can't see anywhere near that this match.
    Tyrone go ahead by a couple of points and it will be interesting to see what we can do. Saw the Ros v Tyrone match and Rossies would kick themselves for not beating them.

Ticket got there now, section 305 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

yop wrote: »
    Mayo SHOULD win, though Limericks defeat goes to show how you can't ever be certain.
    10-15 mins should be vital, if we take a lead of 3 or 4 points in that period then I would expect us to come out with a 5 or 6 point win. We have avg of 15 point winning margin this season, can't see anywhere near that this match.
    Tyrone go ahead by a couple of points and it will be interesting to see what we can do. Saw the Ros v Tyrone match and Rossies would kick themselves for not beating them.

Same as that in the cusack lower. Great seats

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Same as that in the cusack lower. Great seats

Mine are better than yours though. ;)

Yes you can never be certain but it would take a major loss of current form from Mayo to loose this one.
    They come in with lots of momentum, they have played well all year and there is no reason to suggest they will have a sudden dip this close to getting to a final.
    They need to keep their heads though and not allow Tyrone to dictate any part of the game.
    A bit like the Roscommon game if Tyrone come out of the blocks early I think Mayo have the defensive presence to withstand them and then take control.
    If Mayo come out of the blocks fast like they have done then it's over before it even starts.

• Advertisement

Yes you can never be certain but it would take a major loss of current form from Mayo to loose this one.
    They come in with lots of momentum, they have played well all year and there is no reason to suggest they will have a sudden dip this close to getting to a final.
    They need to keep their heads though and not allow Tyrone to dictate any part of the game.
    A bit like the Roscommon game if Tyrone come out of the blocks early I think Mayo have the defensive presence to withstand them and then take control.
    If Mayo come out of the blocks fast like they have done then it's over before it even starts.

And thats why I have been saying that there is something "different" about this Mayo squad. Before I would nearly have said that they are liable to anything, this time I will be SHOCKED if I they don't tear into Tyrone.
    Mickey Harte has been there done that.
    We will see.

My ticket is still better than Fowlers though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Alan Dillon 0-5
    Andy Moran 1-3
    Richie Feeney 0-3

I don't think so either nor are they scoring enough. Mayo should win this game though it should be closer contest than Mayos last four games.

The Feenster isn't in line for a start, nor did he start the last day. Carolan was subbed in before Feeney too so it's unlikely that he'll start even if Cuniffe is out. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Mayo by 7. They'll simply overwhelm Tyrone with their pace and the sheer number of attacking options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Not to mention the 2-10 they have got from Keegan, Vaughan and Boyle.

Those three defenders have scored more or as much from play than most of the starting forwards what does that tell us?

As for the game i expect a very focused Mayo outfit to advance to another All Ireland final, 5-7 point win i reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭lemd

Mayo by 5 points, i think Tyrone will not be able to close down all our scoring players. My big worry would be injuries or O'Shea loosing his temper and doing something silly, i can see Tyrone hitting him hard in the hopes of a reaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Who ever wins this one, I'll he hoping they go on to win it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Again im going for a mayo scoreline of 8 or more... I wonder what odds for that??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Mayo have great spread of scorers throughout the team they are better in defence and midfield than Tyrone and expect another comfortable win for them.

Mayo 1-16 Tyrone 0-12

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Can't see Mayo losing this one but that's when Mickey Harte's men are most dangerous

I'd line Mayo out as follows

K O'Malley
    T Cunniffe
    G Cafferkey
    C Boyle
    L Keegan
    R Feeney
    K Higgins - Follow Joe McMahon back when he goes to play sweeper and push him up the field

D Vaughan - 3 Across the middle with Vaughan marking Cavanagh,Vaughan's Pace,Fitness and general attacking ability should keep big Sean honest
    S O'Shea
    A O Shea

K McLoughlin
    A Dillon
    C O'Connor
    A Freeman
    A Moran

While that reasoning sounds good in theory, I think you need someone more disciplined on Cavanagh. I'm a fan of Vaughans (unlike many people on this forum) but he's liable to go off attacking too often and if you leave a hole for Cavanagh to run through straight at the full back line then there will be goal chances. The full back line is good but Sean Cavanagh running straight for you with no cover is tough to defend against.

I'd stick Seamie O'Shea on him. Just as physical, pretty mobile and disciplined. Could do a good job!

Those three defenders have scored more or as much from play than most of the starting forwards what does that tell us?

As for the game i expect a very focused Mayo outfit to advance to another All Ireland final, 5-7 point win i reckon.

It tells us that Mayo have match winners all over the pitch and, much like Donegal last year, they can score from anywhere.

I have money on a Mayo win by 10-12 points, although even I am admitting it might be right on the outside of it. Would be a bit shocked if Tyrone got within 6 of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 smiler21

at least your all positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,061 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Bit like Cork in 2010, if Mayo dont win Sam this year they never will imo.

They have to take advantage of fact they are in flying form.

smiler21 wrote: »
    at least your all positive.

Long enough going into games not knowing what Mayo performance you're going to get.

May as well make the most of the fact that we've been playing consistently the last two years! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8 smiler21

look who cork played in the semi final in 2010. i hope tyrone win but if they don't would like to see mayo lifting sam.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,522 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Mayo are solid favourites for this; they were in the final last year, they have been excellent throughout this year. Couldnt say that about Limerick.

Mayo will be bulling if they dont win this match......they have to win the AI this year, and they will roll over Tyrone IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Mayo should win this at relative ease. Tyrone have struggled in the scoring stakes for the championship, and with Stephen O' Neil in poor form and Penrose suspended I can't see them scoring enough to overcome Mayo.

That said, I can't see a big defeat for Tyrone. They won't malfunction like Donegal did, and with Gormley back, their back 6 should be able to cope as well as any back 6 against Mayo. Obviously, it'll be more like a back 10, but Mayo should get enough change out of them to win by 4 or 5.

One aspect of the game I'm really looking forward to is Cavanagh vs AOS. IMO, the 2 front winners for POTY. Whoever wins this match, one of those 2 should go on to get the prize. Easily the best 2 midfielders in the country atm, and both are capable attackers and defenders.

I don't think this match will be pretty in any way, but it should be intriguing nonetheless. 2 very physical teams, but Mayo have just that bit more all around the squad, especially in the forwards. Tyrone containing Dillon, K McL & Moran is key. I think Peter Harte will have a massive role to play in deciding the game, he could be the difference imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Mayo will never be in trouble in this one IMO and will win comfortably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

In 306 myself, great seats.
    Bit like Cork in 2010, if Mayo dont win Sam this year they never will imo.

They have to take advantage of fact they are in flying form.

You're only as good as your last game. Tyrone have to be taken care of before we start looking at All-Irelands.
    I want to see Mayo go at them from the start and keep the momentum going.

ColeTrain wrote: »
    In 306 myself, great seats.

You're only as good as your last game. Tyrone have to be taken care of before we start looking at All-Irelands.
    I want to see Mayo go at them from the start and keep the momentum going.

Exactly, blow them out of the water, just like every other team this year.

Get to the final as a total and utter juggernaut.

• Advertisement

Exactly, blow them out of the water, just like every other team this year.

Get to the final as a total and utter juggernaut.

IF Mayo do that, then it will be nigh impossible to control the county and the level of hype. A 2 or 3 point win will do the trick. A win to start with anyway, no injuries and no sending offs.

Advertisement