Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gone Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Is your machine overheating by any chance? Getting really hot, loud fan, crap performance, etc, or is it just a BSOD?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Could be an overheating issue, the game is really badly optimised despite how basic it is graphically. I had the framerate drop to single digits on a few occassions for absolutely no reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

ShooterSF wrote: »
    :( Bought this but for some strange reason it keeps powering off my laptop a few minutes in.
    Duggy747 wrote: »
    Is your machine overheating by any chance? Getting really hot, loud fan, crap performance, etc, or is it just a BSOD?
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Could be an overheating issue, the game is really badly optimised despite how basic it is graphically. I had the framerate drop to single digits on a few occassions for absolutely no reason.

Does this to my system sporadically too!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Nope it's the darndest thing. Screen goes black and the laptop shuts down properly and boots straight back up no problem. Theres no frame drop or glitchiness and the fan doesn't kick on any louder. No BSOD. Nothing. Plus at least one other person has the same problem with the same laptop. Shame I'd love to try it out properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Nope it's the darndest thing. Screen goes black and the laptop shuts down properly and boots straight back up no problem. Theres no frame drop or glitchiness and the fan doesn't kick on any louder. No BSOD. Nothing. Plus at least one other person has the same problem with the same laptop. Shame I'd love to try it out properly.

Have a look in the event viewer, see what it says for the event occuring at the minute your pc restarts....

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ie/windows/open-event-viewer#1TC=windows-7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I'd love to play this and The Stanley Parable but I'm afraid my laptop wouldn't be up to it.

Whenever I throw on a game (such as Super Meat Boy) it gets very hot.. the game is very much playable though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Been playing video games for 25 years and accomplished my biggest feat today
    i went into the attic:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Coming to consoles this year :)

http://www.trueachievements.com/n16366/gone-home-announced-for-consoles.htm

Take that master race :P

/hides

Great to see games like this getting the potential attention they deserve!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

calex71 wrote: »
    Coming to consoles this year :)

http://www.trueachievements.com/n16366/gone-home-announced-for-consoles.htm

Take that master race :P

/hides

Great to see games like this getting the potential attention they deserve!!!!

That is brilliant news! Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's only 6.99 on Steam at the moment, couldn't resist at that price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Same here. I've only played it for 10 minutes so far, but it seems great.
    The voice work is exceptional. Looking forward to exploring the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

€6.79 on Steam at the moment in case anyone else missed it, I completely forgot about it so gonna buy it now, at this price it sounds well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

It's €5.49 on HumbleBundle's Store.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭shreddedloops

Picked this up on the Steam Sale earlier today. Just finished it now after 2 hours according to Steam (Think I may have had it minimised for a portion of that).

Was slightly disappointed with the ending but it was still a great atmospheric story. Don't think I've ever gotten goosebumps so much in the space of 2 hours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Lads when I'm playing this it keeps returning to desktop once every minute but the game stays running. Any ideas what's causing that?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Is it coming back to a particular window? Sounds like something else stealing focus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Star Lord wrote: »
    Is it coming back to a particular window? Sounds like something else stealing focus.

It was returning to the desktop while leaving the game running. It stopped doing this long enough for me to finish the game though.

Very interesting game, I'm looking forward to reading this thread to see peoples opinions on it.

Have had this sitting in my Steam list since release and finally got around to playing it yesterday and regret not getting to it sooner as I would go so far as to call the 88 minutes I spent with the game the most satisfying gaming experience of my life. It's just a wonderful game which tells an adult and intelligent story in a most wonderful manner. The use of the recording and letters to tell the story is inspired especially in the manner in which it creates such tension, there's an ever building sense of dread throughout the game and I was genuinely terrified
    to open the attic for fear of what I would find.

I can't recall ever being so touched by a game, as the credits rolled I got a little teary eyed and felt a huge weight lift off my shoulders. I was genuinely invested in the story being told, far more than any other and I'm looking forward to revisiting the game on some dreary winters evening.

Bought this on sale on Xbox yesterday, I'd been but off by the 19.99 price tag and what I'd heard about the games length. If I had paid full price I would not have felt ripped off after having played this. It was a wonderfully crafted story, and there was nothing unnecessary to it at all.

Even though it's linear pretty much it still makes you feel like you are playing a game more so than other games of it's type that make you feel like you would be better off just watching it rather than playing it.

The survival horror tropes are brilliantly placed in this and really cleverly used.

I really didn't want to open
    the attic

I had to google the hidden journal entry, no way I would have seen
    the purple ball
    on my own.

Edit: I see the team are working on a new title called Tacoma due end of this year or early next. I'll look forward to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Chriiiiiiiiiiiiist that was ****ing quality.... absolutely sickened with myself for not playing it sooner although 20 euro on psn store was a bit much. Had it free on ps+ for a week but only tried it today. Finished with all journals except one (nunnery). The story was fantastic, had me completely hooked. The voice acting and music during the journsl entries were exceptional.
    so happy with the ending and non ghost aspect, so many games now have to end on a downer or have jump scares. I couldn't make out the writing on the letter in the safe so looked it up. ........

Jaysus!!!!!

I had been reading all the parents stuff and Oscar news clippings......

Sub plot spoiler
    Oscar was up to something bad . I was trying to figure out why the height chart was in the basement. Why that light in the creepy wood room didn't work, why did it look like something was bricked over in there. I put the dates from the chart on the safe and the most recent worked. Letter about transgression, safe full of drugs. Then i found the secret corridor to the guest room. I just dunno if Oscar was addicted to drugs and had to get rid of the pharmacy and maybe Terrence found the secret corridor and his drugs or what.

Looked up and saw the abuse theories and linking the JFK stuff....speechless

Article below sums it up perfectly

http://clockworkworlds.com/post/58411117679/the-transgression-you-can-do-better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I heard about this game at the beginning of last year and I never thought of giving it a try, somewhat down to price but I think it was mainly to do with laziness.

Now that I am wiser to the ways of Gone Home through actually playing it, I can say that it is such a shame that I didn't play this sooner, disappointed at the thought that I never would've experienced it had I not received it as a free game on PS+.

I won't say much more apart from that I was truly moved by the whole experience. I've rarely been so emotionally attached to a story within a game, and what a fantastic way to deliver a story.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I was convinced I was going to find a body hanging from the rafters.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Pac1Man wrote: »

I feel like in most modern games,
    that's what would have happened. Such a nice change to get a happy(ish) ending.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I feel like in most modern games,
    that's what would have happened. Such a nice change to get a happy(ish) ending.

I think that is what makes Gone Home so unique, interesting, and special.
    It totally plays on the players emotions and expectations, and not just through story and how the player pieces it together.

The developers purposefully set the scene for you to think it's going to be horror with the lighting and the ambient sounds, and of course the horrific stories of the houses' history with Oscar and Terry. The difficult life-changing rollercoaster that you learn Sam has experienced is by no means a typical story arc within modern video games, but they still manipulate your expectations to assume the worst. They understand how accustomed people are to traditional storytelling in games, and they use that to their advantage.

I suppose the ending could be described as anti-climactic, but it is actually perfect. If you walked in on a suicide scene then you would've been sickened, but most people would've been prepared for that and would've taken nothing away from the game. How they did it is much more powerful, I've never took away something so different after completing a game in terms of emotion and how it made me feel and think.

TLoU, while a better game overall, wasn't able deliver what Gone Home has. I haven't encountered a story that played with my expectations like that since Red Dead Redemption.

Sorry about the massive block of spoilers! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

In a sentence, what type of game is this and what's it similar to?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORsSxYDmPx8

Can't see me getting into it. Downloaded it from PS Plus but not installed it yet

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Walking simulator.

However it's a great one. I won't say anymore about the story, best to play it fresh. Takes about 2-4 hours but it's worth it.

If you are watching youtube playthroughs you are just going to ruin the entire experience.

Cormac... wrote: »
    In a sentence, what type of game is this and what's it similar to?
    An adventure exploration game ("walking simulator") that could be described as an interactive novel*, it is similar to Chinese Room games (i.e. Dear Ester and Everybody's Gone To The Rapture), but in my opinion much better.

* I think "interactive novel" may be a bit unfair, it's not as linear as that would suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Cheers, some of the PS Plus games have been, well a waste of time, and I stick with them for like 90 mins wondering if I'll get it and often I don't

But sometimes, with the likes of Skulls with the Shogun, you're glad you have stuck it out and uncovered a hidden gem :)

• Advertisement

Dunno how this past me by. I love short sweet games.

Advertisement