Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gone Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,754 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

Real gem of a game, really enjoyed it overall, I had it on my radar for a while now but considering the price never bit the bullet. Kinda sad a lot of these short type games get bypassed due to their cost. The price usually isn't that high in the end considering the colossal amount of effort and sacrifice is put into creating something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I had been reluctant to buy this because of price. I wasn't too fond of Dear Esther or the Vanishing of Ethan Carter and I just lumped this in with them. "20 quid for a few hours of probable vague boredom," I thought, but I bit the bullet and picked it up a couple of months ago. I have to say it was one of the most memorable gaming experiences I've had in a while, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

If you think you might like it but are on the fence, go for it. Just don't spoil it by reading too much about it ahead of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Steam Sale tomorrow, and Gone Home has gone for as little as €2.39, so if you're on the fence about it, wait and see what sort of discount it'll get in the sale.

I'd thoroughly recommend it, incredibly engrossing game.

Touching experience.

One thing though, how does the narration throughout fit into it? I feel like I missed something

• Registered Users Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Touching experience.

One thing though, how does the narration throughout fit into it? I feel like I missed something

As in..
    Your sister Sam reading her journal entries when you pick up specific objects?

• Advertisement

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    As in..
    Your sister Sam reading her journal entries when you pick up specific objects?

Yeah exactly. How does that fit in organically? Or is it even supposed to?
    The book in the attic was the journal itself? So is it retrospective?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Nothing particularly 'organic' about it, it is simply a stylistic / structural decision to communicate the story without having to actually sit down and read/listen to a half hour of journal entries at the end of the game as Kaitlin has too! Creates a more dynamic rhythm in the narrative and helps everything gel together at the end.

Yeah, just a way for Katie to catch up with what has been going on while she was away. Really clever mechanic and made the story/game so much better imo, especially hearing the devs say how most people come across the items in the correct order. They said most gamers who are given a house like map will
    go left first which I did before hearing that from the dev. Anyone break the mould and try go to the east wing or up the stairs first?

I went straight for the attic at the first mention of it. It was locked of course.

I went straight for the attic at the first mention of it. It was locked of course.

When I made it upstairs and
    started getting a gist of what might be in the attic, I came to the corridor, saw the sign about the red light.....and turned around to explore the rest of the house. Didn't even know it was locked until I found the key. I was enjoying the story too much and thought I would fast forward the whole thing if I went up too early :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I've a free key for this in the the steam gifts thread, ending monday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

I really enjoyed this "walking simulator" first one I have played.
    But I did want to play it just wasn't sure if I'd enjoy it. Glad a free buy on ps plus made me.

I don't know I kinda really wanted the cliché after playing through.

Maybe as I was really searching for the ghost/the physco house.

But I did enjoy the ending and It was an emotional roller coaster.
    Only a couple of journal entries short on one play through.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Doodleking

Good game, but LGTBT and sexism issues for the game???? I don't know... Games should be entertaining!!!

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    When I made it upstairs and
    started getting a gist of what might be in the attic, I came to the corridor, saw the sign about the red light.....and turned around to explore the rest of the house. Didn't even know it was locked until I found the key. I was enjoying the story too much and thought I would fast forward the whole thing if I went up too early :o

I wanted to test the structure of the narrative. I guessed that the attic is probably the last place you go but can I skip straight there.

Doodleking wrote: »
    Games should be entertaining!!!

Games should be whatever they want to be, and the scope of what a game can be is ever widening. Hell, just look at Papers Please, a game about stamping passports at a border control in a fictional eastern european city during the 80's, the prospect sounds like the least entertaining thing going, yet it is one of the most remarkably engrossing games I've played recently.

Shot11-Jorji.png

As well as that, different things can be entertaining in their own way. There are bleak, depressing games like This War of Mine, and all sorts of games that aren't 'entertaining' in the typical gaming sense, yet people derive no end of entertainment out of them. And hell, if you think LGBT themes can't be entertaining, there's a whole load of cinema and music and art and culture that'll disagree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Such an inane critique did not deserve such a thoughtful response.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Links234 wrote: »
    Games should be whatever they want to be, and the scope of what a game can be is ever widening. Hell, just look at Papers Please, a game about stamping passports at a border control in a fictional eastern european city during the 80's, the prospect sounds like the least entertaining thing going, yet it is one of the most remarkably engrossing games I've played recently.

http://papersplea.se/img/Shot11-Jorji.png

As well as that, different things can be entertaining in their own way. There are bleak, depressing games like This War of Mine, and all sorts of games that aren't 'entertaining' in the typical gaming sense, yet people derive no end of entertainment out of them. And hell, if you think LGBT themes can't be entertaining, there's a whole load of cinema and music and art and culture that'll disagree with you.

Damnit Jorji, no means no!

Star Lord wrote: »
    Damnit Jorji, no means no!

He eventually came back with a valid passport, I was happy to stamp it for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

He eventually came back with a valid very well made fraudulent passport, I was happy to stamp it for him.

FYP! :D I stamped it too, as I could find nothing wrong, but I've no doubt that it was just a very good fake! :D

Games should be entertaining!!!

Shot11-Jorji.png

Please, don't make an LGBT hater!!!! That wasn't my point!!!! I do respect LGBT community, just don't think that these kind of topics should be touched in gaming field, that's all. I don't think LGBT issues should be GAME issues. But it's just MY opinion!!!! But if million of people think it's great, then it's great. I'm happy if they're happy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Our little hobby ain't going anywhere as an artform if games don't start broaching these sort of topics, to be honest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Please, don't make an LGBT hater!!!! That wasn't my point!!!! I do respect LGBT community, just don't think that these kind of topics should be touched in gaming field, that's all. I don't think LGBT issues should be GAME issues. But it's just MY opinion!!!! But if million of people think it's great, then it's great. I'm happy if they're happy.
    hmmm

Let me see if I understand you correctly. You've got nothing against LGBT folks, but you think that games as a whole, from huge AAA developers to even the smallest indie devs, should not even touch any LGBT themes in their games? Do I have that right? That you want the entire gaming industry/artform/hobby to blanketly refuse to acknowledge the existence of LGBT people? Because that doesn't exactly sound great.

Or let me ask you this. Why do you think games shouldn't even touch LGBT themes?

male_shepard_x__garrus_by_a_zeldafan95-d36a8wg-550x357.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

There's no subject I don't think games can't handle. But a lot of games developed just for messages related to LGBT or whatever are pretentious and uninteresting at best, or a crude disgrace at worst. Games are already art and inclusive games certainly aren't the ones making it any more so.

Anyway, Gone Home is an articulate, thoughtful piece of interactive storytelling that addresses its themes and characters with impressive fluency and care. A few years later, very few games have offered a designed space as satisfying and believable - a house that certainly has its very gamey elements and flourishes of poetic licence, but also feels like a believable home. The art design and audio design helps enhance the house's believability, but also builds a sustained tension and cleverly toys with our expectations learned from many a horror film and game. It is less an LGBT game than a great game that just happens to address LGBT themes, and indeed can be held up as an excellent example of a game where the artfulness of the delivery ensures it not merely a crude, lecture-y attempt to address 'issues' :)

In conclusion, I always have to check whether it's Gone Home or Grow Home we're talking about. They're both great.

There's no subject I don't think games can't handle. But a lot of games developed just for messages related to LGBT or whatever are pretentious and uninteresting at best, or a crude disgrace at worst. Games are already art and inclusive games certainly aren't the ones making it any more so.

!!!!!!!!!!

sweetie wrote: »
    hmmm
    It seems like the first thing you should have done, is to google the definition of the word you are trying to call me. Putting my post and yours together looks pretty much ignorant of you ;-) Btw, has anyone heard anything of GONE HOME's developers new game- Tacoma???

Gone Home is a "coming of age" story first and foremost

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Let me see if I understand you correctly. You've got nothing against LGBT folks, but you think that games as a whole, from huge AAA developers to even the smallest indie devs, should not even touch any LGBT themes in their games? Do I have that right? That you want the entire gaming industry/artform/hobby to blanketly refuse to acknowledge the existence of LGBT people? Because that doesn't exactly sound great.

Or let me ask you this. Why do you think games shouldn't even touch LGBT themes?

I heard gayness rubs off on people so if I'm playing a game with gayness in it, it's going to end up being transmitted through the controller into my totally fine with the LGBT community but totally straight body right up into my brain and soon I'm going to be daydreaming about a skimpily-clad Burt Reynolds going down on me and I don't think that's fair on either me or Burt.

Advertisement