Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gone Home

Options
  • 15-08-2013 11:51pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,198 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Just played through this on the back of the stellar reviews (all the pretentious publications love it, with is as always a good sign ;)), and it did not disappoint.

You go in to a house (your family's house, but one you're unfamiliar with after a year in Europe), thunder and lightning roaring outside, severe weather warnings on the television. The house is empty, just full of vague hints and clues about where you family might have gone too. There's the strong sense there's something strange, perhaps even really bad going on here...

But the game doesn't take the easy route, and in fact goes in increasingly curious directions as it goes on and you uncover more about the goings-on of your parents and - most importantly - younger sister. It's similar to the likes of Journey or Dear Esther, although does give you more scope to explore even though it is (and needs to be) very linear. The exploration is key, as you uncover a tale of identity, frustration, confusion and riot grrrl music. Lots of riot grrrl music.

It's pretty powerful stuff, the rare game that finds poetry and emotion in the everyday. Sure, a lot of the thematic scope has been covered in other mediums before in more complex ways, but to see a game manage this kind of thing is a pretty rare treat, and the writing is superb at times.

It's available on Steam or a couple of euro cheaper through Humble. Even as a big supporter of short games (Steam registered 101 minutes all in all), 13.50 is a little bit steep, but the quality is undoubtedly there. Whether you play it now or wait for it to drop in price a bit, it is a genuine pleasure.

Between this and Papers, Please, indie gaming and interactive storytelling have had a really, really strong fortnight! Long may it continue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

This looks right up my street and pretty intriguing, will be waiting for a price drop myself cause I am a pauper these days.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I'm really enjoying it. Then Windows decided to reboot my machine after I was about an hour in to install updates, I thought I had disables that... /grumble.
    Some of the voice work is a little off but that's easy to forgive.

I've played this to the end now and I'm genuinely moved. It's a wonderful experience and will pull at your heartstrings in a similar manner to Dear Esther.

I believe I even shed a tear, or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

I've been waiting a long time for this but as others have said I'm broke as fcuk for the next few weeks so its gonna have to wait :( Really looking forward to playing it! I love games in this style such as Dear Esther and Miasmata.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

It's available on Steam or a couple of euro cheaper through Humble. Even as a big supporter of short games (Steam registered 101 minutes all in all), 13.50 is a little bit steep, but the quality is undoubtedly there. Whether you play it now or wait for it to drop in price a bit, it is a genuine pleasure.

Where is it available on "humble" ? can you link please

• Advertisement

Have a look here:
    http://www.gonehomegame.com/
    Scroll down to the end and click direct sale.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,198 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

5uspect wrote: »
    I've played this to the end now and I'm genuinely moved. It's a wonderful experience and will pull at your heartstrings in a similar manner to Dear Esther.

I believe I even shed a tear, or two.
    Every single time I caught a glimpse of that locked attic I was filled with genuine fear of what was up there. The way they use gothic imagery and survival horror tropes - indeed, those 'audio recordings' and notes that have become the default way of recounting how everything went to **** in game worlds - to mislead and ultimately surprise is inspired. That is how you earn a happy ending, one that makes you keen to analyse exactly how the developers teased you in advance of the final revelation that everything is OK. Also goes without saying how absolutely refreshing it is that tackles sexuality in a sensible, mature manner (and that bit where your character refuses to keep reading the most sexually explicit letter is inspired)

This game will never get the same attention as The Last of Us or its ilk, but really this is such a wonderful indication of the potential of interactive fiction.

Every single time I caught a glimpse of that locked attic I was filled with genuine fear of what was up there. The way they use gothic imagery and survival horror tropes - indeed, those 'audio recordings' and notes that have become the default way of recounting how everything went to **** in game worlds - to mislead and ultimately surprise is inspired. That is how you earn a happy ending, one that makes you keen to analyse exactly how the developers teased you in advance of the final revelation that everything is OK. Also goes without saying how absolutely refreshing it is that tackles sexuality in a sensible, mature manner (and that bit where your character refuses to keep reading the most sexually explicit letter is inspired)

This game will never get the same attention as The Last of Us or its ilk, but really this is such a wonderful indication of the potential of interactive fiction.
    I was on my way up to the attic and my heart was racing. I found myself saying "no no no" to myself, "Don't be up there". But I had the key so I kept telling myself it should be okay, but the sense of dread was overpowering.

On another note I was convinced that I saw a person's silhouette when I looked back down a dark hall to a room I had left the door open to and the lights on in. We wouldn't have this game if it wasn't for envy thing that came before, something which it isn't ashamed to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Just played through this. Amazing, loved it. Such a great way to tell a story.
    Did anyone managed to open the filing cabinet in the dads study?

I feel I missed out on lots due to the overwhelming fear I had the whole way through the game. The mechanics remind me of Amnesia so I was terrified playing the whole thing :pac:

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Just played through this. Amazing, loved it. Such a great way to tell a story.
    Did anyone managed to open the filing cabinet in the dads study?

I feel I missed out on lots due to the overwhelming fear I had the whole way through the game. The mechanics remind me of Amnesia so I was terrified playing the whole thing :pac:

This should help you find it:
    If you go around to the end bookshelves in the next room, behind the study, you'll find a folder with some documents. The combination is written on the inside of the folder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

It would be amazing if they released similar short story driven games like that. It would be hard to replicate the curiosity that you get in this imo but clearly they're a very talented group of devs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Meself and herself played through it over the weekend taking turns controlling. Interesting game for two people to play as it has enough to keep the person not driving watching.
    After we completed it, we started it up again and:
    You can finish the game in under 5 mins if you know where to find the attic key. That hidden panel isn't scripted!

Just finished it.. Excellent.
    Was fully sure I was going to walk in on a suicide at the end.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Interested in playing this. Is the game really under 2 hours even exploring around?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,198 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Interested in playing this. Is the game really under 2 hours even exploring around?

Yes, I explored basically everything and it took less than two hours.

Don't let that put you off, it's further proof that some games should absolutely stick to shorter running times. A much more effective way of immersing a player in certain worlds, devoid of all the filler and other nonsense so many games fall victim to. Gone Home, like Journey, Dear Esther and Proteus before it, is the perfect length.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Sounds good but at $20, I'm going to wait for a sale first. It's been compared a lot to Dear Esther which I wasn't really made about and $20 is sort of the upper limit of what I tend to spend on almost any game, indie or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

C14N wrote: »
    Sounds good but at $20, I'm going to wait for a sale first. It's been compared a lot to Dear Esther which I wasn't really made about and $20 is sort of the upper limit of what I tend to spend on almost any game, indie or not.

I loved Dear Esther but I find it hard to justify €18 on a game that has two hours of gameplay. I get the argument that it's the perfect length for the game that it is, but I'd hate the feeling of being ripped off to colour my appreciation of it. For example, I got Dear Esther for €2.75 and I'd have happily paid €5-7 for it, but its RRP of €10 would have been too much, in my opinion.

Roll on the sales!

I don't know, I tend to think games like this deserve RRP far more than your bog standard AAA game. Don't get me wrong, I think they certainly charged a fiver too much for this for it to gather the sales momentum it could have had at €10, but nor did I find I was in any way, shape or form ripped off at €15 - although any more would have been ripping the piss. I knew what length it was in advance, and was happy to pay and support the developers. But then I've long since stopped thinking of gaming as 'gameplay per euro', given how much more satisfaction I've gotten out of these shorter games than I have much longer ones.

As for the Dear Esther comparisons? They're valid, but Gone Home is very much its own beast too. Storytelling here is more straightforward, less ambiguous but also more immediately accessible. I think they both do what they do very, very well indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I don't know, I tend to think games like this deserve RRP far more than your bog standard AAA game. Don't get me wrong, I think they certainly charged a fiver too much for this for it to gather the sales momentum it could have had at €10, but nor did I find I was in any way, shape or form ripped off at €15 - although any more would have been ripping the piss. I knew what length it was in advance, and was happy to pay and support the developers. But then I've long since stopped thinking of gaming as 'gameplay per euro', given how much more satisfaction I've gotten out of these shorter games than I have much longer ones.

Well the thing is that I almost never pay RRP for the AAA games either. Literally the only time I have done so this generation was for The Last of Us, besides that I rarely spend more than €20 on a game, just because pricing is so good that I don't have to. I also generally dislike looking at games as representing value for money. It makes me cringe when I see people complaining about a 10 hour game for not being long enough or saying "X should have had multiplayer for replay value" because it would kind of be like saying "Yeah, Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band was a good album but come on, it should have been at least 50 minutes" or "the first 3 Harry Potters were enjoyable but I wish each one had about an extra 150 pages to give more value for money".

It's just that at the same time, a 2-hour experimental game just feels like it belongs in a different category to a regular game. I wouldn't really want to pay €12 to read a short-story, even if it was a really good short story. Similarly, I'd pay €15 for a film on Blu ray but I would think it was a bit weird if I was expected to pay €15 to watch an episode of Breaking Bad (even though that episode might be way better than the film). It's not really much about fussing over details, more just paying the same price for the same ballpark experience. I wouldn't for a moment suggest beefing the game up to justify the price, I just think I'll wait until it's a bit cheaper before I buy.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Finished Gone Home tonight. My thoughts :
    GOOD POINTS :
    • The mystery surrounding the whereabouts of your family; and coming-of-age story of your younger sister Sam is interesting & heartfelt and she comes off as very likable.
    • The house trappings of 1995 is a great nostalgia trip and deftly placed (like home taped recordings of X-Files)
    • Method of storytelling delivery leaving you to make & update your current working theory of why everyone is gone

BAD POINTS :
    • The third plot (the heavy supernatural influence & morbid past of the house) has no pay off. This felt like a bait & switch the game used it as the main part of the unnerving mystery to keep you interested, while ultimately telling you another story. You could view it as just clever use of horror game tropes but this red herring felt a little disappointing in the end. The other storylines had satisfying conclusions though.
    • This is an indie game. It looks like a HD port of an N64 game from a purely aesthetic view of flat, simple textures, models and art direction. Thankfully the game hinges on the unfolding of the narrative and not just looks.

Overall the game hinges on it's story, and it was a very good experience, but not amazing. I think the accolades heaped upon it may be because it's a such unique storytelling method rather than an amazing game strictly based on it's own merits.
    That said, I definitely recommend playing it.

• Advertisement

Flash 50% off sale for one day only: https://www.humblebundle.com/store/gonehome/OHFHXxPWMLTy

If the price was putting you off, perfect opportunity to support them :) The game deserves it!

Also a free update has been released, basically an audio commentary

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/10/22/gone-home-gets-commentary-mode-today/

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Shorty11857

Bought it yesterday in the sale (from their website, slightly cheaper than Steam) and absolutely loved it, pretty much played like a better version of Dear Esther. Dear Esther felt like I was walking through an island being told a story, while Gone Home felt like I was exploring a house and discovering a story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I played through this last night. I really enjoyed it. I'll play it again with the commentary soon.

It wasn't what I expected, but probably all the better for that.
    I was expecting more of a ghost story and, like jaykhunter, I was a bit disappointed that the haunted house angle wasn't a bit more fleshed out. Why did people think the uncle was mad, for example? Did something actually happen or was he just reclusive?

However, it was really refreshing to see LGBT themes in a game and dealt with in a real way, not just as a gimmick or for titillation, and I think the developers deserve kudos for that. It resonated with me on a very personal level because of Sam's story; I remember the confusion of getting butterflies in my stomach around certain girls; wondering if that girl I was talking to was just being friendly or if there was something more to it; and like Sam, Gillian Anderson was one of my first proper crushes, so I got a real laugh out of seeing her magazine hidden in her locker. I saw a lot of myself in it, even though my circumstances were and are totally different.

Sam felt like a real person to me, which is a great achievement for a game. The feeling of dread I had walking up those attic stairs was almost tangible. I was sick at the thought of finding her too late.

I'm looking forward to playing the game again, safe in the knowledge that nothing is going to jump out at me or scare me. I think it'll make for an altogether different experience again.

Finished it there, 76 minutes, really enjoyed it and have to echo what most have written.
    I did find myself near the end saying
    she better not be dead in this attic !
    ...but luckily it wasn't the case :D

What's the combination to the safe ? I didn't find it

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Finished it there, 76 minutes, really enjoyed it and have to echo what most have written.
    I did find myself near the end saying
    she better not be dead in this attic !
    ...but luckily it wasn't the case :D

What's the combination to the safe ? I didn't find it

I posted a spoilered hint in this thread a few posts back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Playing this at the moment and it's scaring the crap out of me. It's just the atmosphere of the big empty house with its creepy past and the thunder & lightning outside. I played for half an hour last night but turned it off before investigating upstairs. I'm a big girls blouse when it comes to what you can't see type games/films.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Stick with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

wow..

based on the responses in this thread. I bought and played the game with my GF tonight...

A crazy and wonderful experience. We really got deep into the stories..

I cannot believe the depth the game went too..

Massive spoiler: Seriously don't read it if you plan to play the game, the whole experience is based on the story line unfolding like in no other game i've played
    The main plot of the Sister Sam was heart warming and rewarding.

However... When I opened the safe.. the information that at first seemed odd.. turned out to be incredibly important. The Oscar/house owner subplot was one of the the most disturbing things i've ever seen in a game. The pieces all started to fit together.. The JFK books with time machine, the rocking horse, the secret passages and the heigh charts in the creepy basement.

The only part I did not get was, did the parents go on a anniversary or did they go on a couples counselling trip? Probably the latter as they would of been there to welcome home their long gone daughter. I guess I hope the wife would understand the distant husband after that trip..

A truly wonderful game to experience.

For anyone who has finished the game, I highly suggest googling the sub-plots to make sure you got them all. Great deep.

Edit: Kudos to the OP for posting the thread. Much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

:( Bought this but for some strange reason it keeps powering off my laptop a few minutes in.

Advertisement