Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish drug traffickers escape LatinAmerican jail

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

pair of ****ing scumbags , just look at the heads on them , got in over their heads , the place for them is in a hell hole south American jail, at least we wouldn't have to pay for it ,

also given the inhumane conditions over there - it's probably illegal for the state to extradite them.
    It could well argued that their human rights are infringed over there ...

fair play to the lads for escaping.

tbh I don't think coke dealing/smuggling is the worst crime.
    nobody is forced to buy coke against their will , it's sold to willing participants.
    despite the hooha from pious folk here .

and if there wasn't any coke to buy would Ireland be a better place or a worse one ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Knob Longman

Fair fúcks to them both..:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Legends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

and if there wasn't any coke to buy would Ireland be a better place or a worse one ?

it would be the same I reckon.
    The people who like coke would be taking something else.

But your question could be put to a whole manner of subject?
    How about trans-fat? would ireland be better off without trans-fats..for sure...but what about all the nice food derived from that.
    We'd be better off eating chicken, veg and rice everyday but tbh we like our indulgences .

I'm not naive in the drug trade bring unpleasant attributes but I do believe that is down to human nature (greed) and the illegal nature of the business.

The drugs itself isn't a huge problem no worse than alcohol i think. I think like all substances some people take it responsibly and some abuse the fcuk out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Fair fúcks to them both..:cool:
    Legends

Ye don't even know what you are talking about.

Cool is it? Cop on would ya...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Aside from the drugs crap...
    Ya have to hand it to them. You don't hear slot about people escaping from those prisons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

its all supply and demand I suppose, regardless of who is using it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Knob Longman

Don't comment about what I do or don't know as you don't know anything about me...Your condescending comment exposes your own ignorance...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Ya have to hand it to them. You don't hear slot about people escaping from those prisons.

I agree to a point, but we didn't hear about them escaping either....read it in a paper.

Pay off prison wardens....that's a worrying development. How many other criminals are 'walking out the gates' in these places that no one ever hears of.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

"No drugs were found on the person of Dermot, who had always protested his innocence." (from OP)

-- How is this guy guilty, then?

would yer attitude be the same if they had managed to get on the plane and were caught in Dublin airport ? then escaped from a Irish prison ?

these two scrotes should be in jail and they aren't bottom line

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

I'd love to see a banged up abroad where a Mexican escapes a Yankee prison.

Its always drug mules looking for sympathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Expertly done. They took their chance and won, managed to get back to their home where no extradition treaty exists. Of course they were guilty of their crimes but I still kinda of admire their escape to freedom. Is drug running really the worst crime out there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Still wouldn't pay them scummers any credit for it. It's a pity they escaped.
    Don't comment about what I do or don't know as you don't know anything about me...Your condescending comment exposes your own ignorance...

I can comment on your comments if I want, what are you going to do about it exactly?

It's fairly ignorant to cheer on scum bags after getting out of prison. They should be serving their sentence, but instead they're here... will they get up to anything here? Well they done it once, maybe they'll do something else.

Again... if the 'Dermot' guy has NO drugs on him, how was he found guilty? Are people just wilfully ignoring this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

Billy86 wrote: »
    Again... if the 'Dermot' guy has NO drugs on him, how was he found guilty? Are people just wilfully ignoring this?

Kevin Barlow was not carrying drugs in Malaysia in 1986, when he and Brian Chambers were arrested at the airport. Both were hanged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Billy86 wrote: »

Provided assistance....according to the state.

Kevin Barlow was not carrying drugs in Malaysia in 1986, when he and Brian Chambers were arrested at the airport. Both were hanged
    True, but it doesn't explain how he was guilty in this case. There obviously was a good deal of evidence against him, given the circumstances, but it should be a case of 'innocent until proven guilty' - and in a drug smuggling case, as best I know, it must be extremely difficult to prove guilt without there being any possession. It's not even like the two girls in Peru (if hypothetically all the drugs had been in one girls bag, rather than split) - they were physically inside Leigh and the other guy who died. I would be interested to know if he was actually ever found guilty of smuggling, or rather of conspiracy which to me seems far more likely.

Now that wouldn't make him much/any less of a scumbag for doing so - but if he was found guilty of smuggling rather than conspiracy or something else similar, I really do have to question the Venezuelan courts' finding. Especially as it is likely a 'zero tolerance, catch all you can regardless, complete crackdown*' state when it comes to issues like this.

*no pun intended!

Rightwing wrote: »
    Provided assistance....according to the state.
    Cheers, ignore the post above then - odds are that's a perfectly valid finding on their part. Was just worried he was 'made an example of' rather than being found guilty for legitimate reasons.

It also is funny this story, as I had wondered if the Lima girls would have got so much attention had they been guys instead. Without those two, even their escape story likely would have never made the news. But that's a different matter...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Kinzig

whats all the fuss?..just a couple of lads that were trying to get home for "the gathering"..damn fine effort too!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Never even heard on these, yet these other 2 girls are everywhere now, strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

I'm inclined to say fair play to them. Bitta coke, like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Never even heard on these, yet these other 2 girls are everywhere now, strange.

Maybe because they dont have fannies....just a guess here...:pac:

The 2 lads are so lucky to be home...someone really must have been looking down on them as they escaped.

Still doesnt change the fact that they are still convicted drug smugglers....which is very serious and bad,and not something to be proud of.......not in my eyes anyway.

Infact its the most idiotic/stupidest thing to do,and not worth any amount of money,no matter how tempting it may seem and sound.Lining the pockets of a big drug dealer,and possibly killing others from the drugs you smuggle is very very bad.No sympathy for anyone (man or woman) who gets caught doing it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Now if i was a company interviewing for a job i would give these guys a chance no problem, instead of the usual spiel people give about how they got through adversity and the like when answering interview questions, it took guts and ingenuity to escape a South American prison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

Ireland has a long history of not extraditing people wanted for crimes in other countries.

As does the UK, who refused to extradite of of the greatest monsters of the 20th century General Pinochet.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

So how come the 2 girls are Florence Nightingale & Mother Teresa while the 2 lads are "scumbags" ?.

I presume the Guards will have to bring them in for an auld chat soon to make them look someway proactive, a time wasting charade to appease the media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

So how come the 2 girls are Florence Nightingale & Mother Teresa while the 2 lads are "scumbags" ?.

I presume the Guards will have to bring them in for an auld chat soon to make them look someway proactive, a time wasting charade to appease the media.

The Guards have no grounds to question them as reported in todays papers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭fibonaccii

To all the people who say all the drug smugglers etc should rot in prison etc, do you have any idea why/how they got into it in the first place no, you don't, its just your complete ignorance to say "all druggies should be killed".

I really ****ing hate yer attitude. What about the scumbags in government that create the black market by keeping drugs illegal.

Advertisement