Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Ireland disowned Thin Lizzy?

Options
  • 14-08-2013 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

I just heard Cowboy Song for the first time on Youtube today and I was quite literally blown away. I got me thinking about how the irish music scene has deteriorated to the point that eejits like Jedward what's-his-name from the Script are national music icons, whereas some of the best musicians in the world like Gary Moore and Rory Gallagher have been all but forgotten about. Should we embrace our musical past more, or just accept the process of X-Factorisation that has infected the country in the past few years?

Here's the video, I'd recommend it.

And I'll add a poll, for the craic.

Who's a better guitarist? 81 votes

Gary Moore
    0% 0 votes
    Scott Gorham
    81% 66 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    18% 15 votes

Comments

Nah Thin Lizzy are great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Modern pop music / X factor has completely ruined music.

Manufactured bile.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

A mediocre Irish band with more member changes than I've had hot dinners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

We definitely haven't disowned them!

Do you seriously think Jedward will get a statue? (Phil Lynott)
    Or a city square called after them? (Rory Gallagher)

There's a big difference between pop culture entertainment and actual music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

I just heard Cowboy Song for the first time on Youtube today and I was quite literally blown away.

The fact that you hadn't heard of Thin Lizzy until today doesn't mean the rest of us hadn't.

Welcome to the party pal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Sorty to have to be the bearer of bad new but Gary Moore, Phil lynott and Rory Gallagher are all dead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

SpaceTime wrote: »

There's a big difference between the calibre of Rory Gallagher and Phil Lynott too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 the back of beyond

Infected is a brilliant choice of word

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Or a small oversexed chimpanzee?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭overshoot

or a street in france ;)

anyway OP i see your jedward and raise you the strypes, not all hope is lost

i like oddsocks too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

The fact that you hadn't heard of Thin Lizzy until today doesn't mean the rest of us hadn't.

Welcome to the party pal.
    Well that's kind of the point, I grew up knowing Thin Lizzy existed, but until recently just thought they were just another mediocore 70's band with a couple of hits to keep the golden oldies happy. The caliber of the songs they produced - and not just the occasional hits - is pretty impressive, along with their originality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 the back of beyond

Well that's kind of the point, I grew up knowing Thin Lizzy existed, but until recently just thought they were just another mediocore 70's band with a couple of hits to keep the golden oldies happy. The caliber of the songs they produced - and not just the occasional hits - is pretty impressive, along with their originality.

I can remember watching an interview with Metallica and how they said Thin lizzy were an inspiration to them. Had Thin Lizzy been American, they would have been a phenomenon

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Triangular

I don't understand the media's obsession with Thin Lizzy. Not a bad band but they get more promotion on the airwaves then many of the living active bands in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Personally I've never felt Thin Lizzy was really my thing but there's still quite a few young Thin Lizzy fans out there still. The fact is music moves on and evolves and so do people. Using Jedward as an example of modern Irish music is a piss poor example to be honest when you have artists like Villagers, God is an Astronaut, And So I Watch You From Afar, Halves, Lisa Hannigan etc. I'd rather Irish people pay attention to artists like these rather than focus too much on the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

CJC999 wrote: »
    Sorty to have to be the bearer of bad new but Gary Moore, Phil lynott and Rory Gallagher are all dead.
    So ... recall Midge Ure?

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

I got me thinking about how the irish music scene has deteriorated to the point that eejits like Jedward what's-his-name from the Script are national music icons, whereas some of the best musicians in the world like Gary Moore and Rory Gallagher have been all but forgotten about.
    Isn't that the same deal everywhere though? Crappy mainstream artists get pushed to the forefront, and half-decent "classic" artists are constantly praised and said to belong to the "good old days"? I'm not saying Garry Moore and Rory are bad artists at all, but calling them "some of the best musicians in the world" is hardly true considering the scope of music.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I just heard Cowboy Song for the first time on Youtube today and I was quite literally blown away. I got me thinking about how the irish music scene has deteriorated to the point that eejits like Jedward what's-his-name from the Script are national music icons, whereas some of the best musicians in the world like Gary Moore and Rory Gallagher have been all but forgotten about. Should we embrace our musical past more, or just accept the process of X-Factorisation that has infected the country in the past few years?

I hate you :pac:

overshoot wrote: »

I think (and hope) we're actually experiencing our lowest ebb musically in Ireland right now. The Strypes have nothing new to offer, it's all regurgitated rubbish and if a group of 25 year olds emerged playing the same stuff they'd be laughed out of the room. Being in that band is only going to hurt the musical careers of the members in the long run and their sudden climb to the top of the hype heap suggests someone must be spending money behind the scenes to buy media coverage. That Glastonbury performance is lifeless. The people championing these guys now will be denying they ever did next year.

Plenty of people have heard of Thin Lizzy (beyond The Boys are Back in Town and Jailbreak), and they get their due I think. Rory Gallagher doesn't though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

overshoot wrote: »

I love tribute bands.

Cienciano wrote: »
    I hate you :pac:
    In a metaphysical sense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

Plenty of people have heard of Thin Lizzy (beyond The Boys are Back in Town and Jailbreak), and they get their due I think. Rory Gallagher doesn't though.
    Apparently he's sold 30 million albums, hardly unknown.

That's only because you couldn't download back then :pac:

I didn't say he was unknown, I said he doesn't get his due.

And he doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I can remember watching an interview with Metallica and how they said Thin lizzy were an inspiration to them. Had Thin Lizzy been American, they would have been a phenomenon

What a pity they had to cover Whiskey in the Jar then!

Lizzy were "this" close to breaking the US market in a big way in 1977 touring with Queen and Aerosmith but as was typical of the time they managed to blow it with a mix of bad luck and stupidity and Gary Moore walking out in 78.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

in the world like Gary Moore and Rory Gallagher have been all but forgotten about. .

Well, theres that big tribute night they are having in Dublin on Friday...

http://entertainment.ie/show-Gigs/The-Academy/A-Night-For-Phil-Lynott-Gary-Moore/Gigs-2687999.htm

Hardly forgotten about. I think you just havent dug deep enough into these artists, you need to listen to more than the radio singles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,576 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

thin lizzy? who she?

Well, theres that big tribute night they are having in Dublin on Friday...

http://entertainment.ie/show-Gigs/The-Academy/A-Night-For-Phil-Lynott-Gary-Moore/Gigs-2687999.htm

Hardly forgotten about. I think you just havent dug deep enough into these artists, you need to listen to more than the radio singles.
    Wait, what? Are the tickets still on sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Elbaston

Listened to song - ....passable. no socks were shed.

Heres one to convert the non-believers to the lawd. preach it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

The Rocker.

That is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Wait, what? Are the tickets still on sale?

Couldnt tell you, I'd love to be going though. :(

Advertisement