Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Ireland disowned Thin Lizzy?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

I think Rory is not more widely know, is that he never released singles

he thought that an album should be listened too as the way it was envisioned, from track one to finish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Thin Lizzy are terrible, could never get into them. Cheesy rock

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

:pac:

Putins ego aint big enough to be mustaine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

kingtiger wrote: »
    I think Rory is not more widely know, is that he never released singles

neither did Led Zep.

Rory is my favourite guitarist, I could listen to the man for hours on end. I love his lyrics too, when he sang them, you really believe he meant meant what he was singing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

If Rory Gallagher was alive today, I don't think he'd be too bothered about not being appreciated enough. All he wanted to do was get on stage and play the blues, absolutely hated all the trappings that come with being a pop/rock star.

Sad to see also the Crowleys music store in Cork where he bought his famous strat closed down the other day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

RikkFlair wrote: »
    If Rory Gallagher was alive today, I don't think he'd be too bothered about not being appreciated enough. All he wanted to do was get on stage and play the blues, absolutely hated all the trappings that come with being a pop/rock star.

Sad to see also the Crowleys music store in Cork where he bought his famous strat closed down the other day.

sad to hear that... I used to buy music gear in Crowleys when I played in a band in Cork. Friendly and obliging staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Out of Gorham and Moore, Moore was technically the better guitarist, but Gorham was the better Thin Lizzy guitarist.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

That's different, they started out as actors taking the piss out of the Beatles and grew from that, more organically. At least the Monkees played instruments. People are singing "I'm a Believer" almost 50 years later. Can you say that any of the pop music today will even be remembered in 10 years? or 5 years?

They didnt write im a believer though. Its neil diamonds song. Any group of people could have sang it. Not really the same as say, a beatles song.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

In fairness, the substance to their work is really overlooked. When I was a kid, I'd only heard Whiskey In the Jar, Jailbreak and Dancing in the Moonlight over and over again and thought they were nothing special, but then when I was about 10-11, I bought their first album... by Jaysus it was something. I loved the Stooges and the rawness and lack of production on the album really reminded me of them, with folky elements thrown in. No one mentions this record, I'd say it's their best:

Then I got to Thunder & Lightning and was fucking amazed! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

They didnt write im a believer though. Its neil diamonds song. Any group of people could have sang it. Not really the same as say, a beatles song.

They did write Last Train To Clarksville, Mary Mary and Randy Scouse Git though... Infinitely better songs than I'm a Believer!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Silverscott

Phil and Rory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Ireland hasn't disowned Lizzy
    Geldof and Ure disowned them back in the 80s when they had a great chance to explode onto the world stage if the two had invited them to perform at Live Aid

Invite never came.

There's a big difference between the calibre of Rory Gallagher and Phil Lynott too

Like there's a big difference between Slash and Mark Knoffler?!?

me bolly wrote: »
    Ireland hasn't disowned Lizzy
    Geldof and Ure disowned them back in the 80s when they had a great chance to explode onto the world stage if the two had invited them to perform at Live Aid

Invite never came.

Phil was not in a good condition to perform on a world stage at live aid.The band were not together for over 2.5 years and other members were dealing with their own addictions.Phil did donate one of his bass guitars to the auction event for it. And midge has always spoke highly of phil and still does. He is very friendly with phils daughters and family. Having met him in person he is a gentleman. Phil was to far gone at this stage and surrounded by hanger on's. If anything it would of been better for them to try get him help rather than put him on a world stage in a bad condition.

Phil was not in a good condition to perform on a world stage at live aid.The band were not together for over 2.5 years and other members were dealing with their own addictions.Phil did donate one of his bass guitars to the auction event for it. And midge has always spoke highly of phil and still does. He is very friendly with phils daughters and family. Having met him in person he is a gentleman. Phil was to far gone at this stage and surrounded by hanger on's. If anything it would of been better for them to try get him help rather than put him on a world stage in a bad condition.

The point is he wasn't given the option.
    He didnt have to play with his band he could have been a guest bassist with another group or sang some of his solo work with other artist .
    He was overlooked plain and simple and it was criminal that an iconic and unique Irish rocker wasn't included in the event in some way .

The point is he wasn't given the option.
    He didnt have to play with his band he could have been a guest bassist with another group or sang some of his solo work with other artist .
    He was overlooked plain and simple and it was criminal that an iconic and unique Irish rocker wasn't included in the event in some way .

What solo work do you think he could of sang ? That would of been known by the crowd besides out in the fields. Which his live tv appeareance of that is not nice.
    Have you seen any of the videos of his live solo performances from 1985.
    He was in a bad way. Midge has regrets about not helping phil more with his problems i would of prefering that over seen him on stage at live aid and he could of still been here today if he wasnt gone as far as he was.

What solo work do you think he could of sang ? That would of been known by the crowd besides out in the fields. Which his live tv appeareance of that is not nice.
    Have you seen any of the videos of his live solo performances from 1985.
    He was in a bad way. Midge has regrets about not helping phil more with his problems i would of prefering that over seen him on stage at live aid and he could of still been here today if he wasnt gone as far as he was.

Videos?!?
    Followed the guy from his start Kama Sutra FFs

Videos?!?
    Followed the guy from his start Kama Sutra FFs

Well i followed them before Kama when he was in the black eagles. Kama was after the eagles did you not know that. My reply was on his videos from 1985 not 1967. His live video on tv a month before live aid shows that he was very sick and the performance was not good. He was hardly able to breath so i for one am glad that he was not put on a world stage at this time.

Advertisement