Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Ireland disowned Thin Lizzy?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭DainBramage

Triangular wrote: »
    I don't understand the media's obsession with Thin Lizzy. Not a bad band but they get more promotion on the airwaves then many of the living active bands in Ireland.

Have to agree. Stations like nova and phantom give them a lot of airtime and even today phantom were promoting an upcoming lizzy tribute show. Phil has a statue in town ffs. So I would say no they are not forgotten in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

CJC999 wrote: »
    Sorty to have to be the bearer of bad new but Gary Moore, Phil lynott and Rory Gallagher are all dead.
    and sadly Jedward are not......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Always loved Lizzy...however, I think Old Town is an appalling record. I had never heard it before moving to Ireland.
    It is constantly played on Irish radio but it obviously doesn't cut it 'outside the pale'.
    Cold Sweat is my favourite song off my favourite Lizzy album.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

They're a very mediocre, forgettable band. They get/got a lot of press in the media in Ireland because we really didn't have much else going on in terms of recognisable rock bands, and for some reason his Ma was never off the TV and radio banging on about her son and how amazing he was. I'd put them in the same category as a band like 10cc, but even that's being generous, as they made Dreadlock Holiday which never gets old for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    They're a very mediocre, forgettable band. They get/got a lot of press in the media in Ireland because we really didn't have much else going on in terms of recognisable rock bands, and for some reason his Ma was never off the TV and radio banging on about her son and how amazing he was. I'd put them in the same category as a band like 10cc, but even that's being generous, as they made Dreadlock Holiday which never gets old for me.

That's bull, I reckon you haven't listened to much/any of their stuff,
    They are cited as having a huge influence of bands such as Def Leppard, U2, G'N'R, Metaillica to name just a few and their Live 'N' Dangerous album consistently makes top 5 of all live albums. I like 10CC but they don't hold a torch to Thin Lizzy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Lol

You ALL sound like your parents:eek:

Bahhhh music these days is ****e, Why in my day the musicians could play and sing, Turn down thet feckin noise Jayzus i can't hear meself think.

Welcome to middle age boys and girls.....embrace it hard;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Ah yes but crap dancing and Sandals with socks are now acceptable

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭BadCompany

If Ireland has "disowned" Thin Lizzy, this suggests that they're MASSIVE outside of Ireland but we don't appreciate them here. On the contrary, I'd expect that they're more famous in Ireland than anywhere else; I can't go a few months without hearing "Boys Are Back In Town", "Dancing In The Moonlight" or "Sarah" on mainstream national radio stations all these years later (for the record I think "Sarah" has one of the worst guitar solos I've ever come across, it's a disjointed mess! Just my opinion, but that's neither here nor there).

Anyway in response to people saying they were "mediocre", I wholeheartedly disagree. They were excellent musicians and songwriters, and treaded a fine line between hard rock and pop sensibility that I've rarely heard done better since. From the "Jailbreak" album alone, songs like "Boys Are Back In Town", "Jailbreak", "Cowboy Song" and "Emerald" are all shining examples of this - catchy hard rocking anthems (without mentioning "Running Back" from the same album, an emotional ballad that still manages to rock). They fully deserve their place in Irish history and have not at all been forgotten by rock fans here in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I don't feel they are forgotten at all and love that the younger generation are embracing them too. Lizzy are like Rock School 101 for young wannabe musicians. It's all there: tight musicianship, great song-writing, clever arrangements, charisma, stage presence.*

I love them, and while they may not be my favourite band of all time, they'd probably be the one I'd most like to travel back in time to see live!

* Yes, I realise a lot of the bad stuff is there too, such as ego-mania and drug addiction, but it's RocknRoll!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭ikarie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8iKEwogaqA

The Rev. Nathaniel (Phil Lynott) from War of the Worlds, 1978. outstanding!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    thin lizzy? who she?

Someting to do with a Ford Model T.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Always loved Lizzy...however, I think Old Town is an appalling record. I had never heard it before moving to Ireland.
    It is constantly played on Irish radio but it obviously doesn't cut it 'outside the pale'.

Old Town is from one of Phil Lynotts solo albums. Great song IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭dobman88

I'm 25 and saw Thin Lizzy in Killarney when I was 15. Obv Phil Lynott wasn't there but it was an unbelievable gig with the rest of the members there and opened my eyes to what music really is. Fan for life, just wish I could have seen Lynott in his prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Leogirl

Wait, what? Are the tickets still on sale?

Still available, just booking them now :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

dobman88 wrote: »
    I'm 25 and saw Thin Lizzy in Killarney when I was 15. Obv Phil Lynott wasn't there but it was an unbelievable gig with the rest of the members there and opened my eyes to what music really is. Fan for life, just wish I could have seen Lynott in his prime.

Ah I've seen them minus Phil too, but I really don't think it counts at all. It's not Thin Lizzy without him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Modern pop music / X factor has completely ruined music.

Manufactured bile.

Unless you ignore it and listen to the good stuff. The exact same was being said at any other time and always will be.
    There is alway the readily available crap music and then the stuff that those who have a little taste have to look a teeny weeny bit harder for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭dobman88

sadie06 wrote: »
    Ah I've seen them minus Phil too, but I really don't think it counts at all. It's not Thin Lizzy without him.

My apologies for being born too late!! lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

And in the news today...Philo's back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Watched a special on Thin Lizzy the other night with an uncle visiting in from Ireland who knew Phil Lynott and Rory Gallagher from the old days.

Thin Lizzy still has a loyal cult following over here in the states.

We have a local concert hall that brings in a number of top rock bands from the 70’s to perform. I’ve had good experiences and bad ones. The bad ones usually involve the various incarnations of bands which include only a few original members. Thin Lizzy played there two years ago. But even though the incarnation included old members Downey and Gorham, without Lynott I just didn’t feel the urge to go. I now look up the current band member list before deciding to go to a concert, as I find myself wishing I never went if it doesn’t feel like I’m listening to the groups I grew up with. (Upcoming concerts there include Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, .38 Special, Gordon Lightfoot, and America)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Modern pop music / X factor has completely ruined music.

Manufactured bile.

Yeah The Monkees never existed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

No way, Thin Lizzy are hugely popular. They fill venues even w/o Philo. Look at all the people that showed up to see his statue re-erected this morning. Nova are constantly playing Thin Lizzy, Phil Lynott, Gary Moore songs, there are tons of tribute bands around the country. In fact, there are Thin Lizzy/Gary Moore tribute bands in Academy, Dublin tomorrow night.

‘How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher.’ —Jimi Hendrix

‘Rory’s death really upset me. I heard about it just before we went on stage, and it put a damper on the evening. I can’t say I knew him that well, but I remember meeting him in our offices once, and we spent an hour talking. He was such a nice guy and a great player.’ —Jimmy Page

‘So these couple of kids come up, who’s me and my mate, and say ‘How do you get your sound Mr. Gallagher?’ and he sits and tells us. So I owe Rory Gallagher my sound. ‘ —Brian May

‘Rory’s death is a tragic loss of a great musician and a very good friend.’ —Van Morrison

‘The man who got me back into the blues.’ —Eric Clapton

‘A beautiful man and an amazing guitar player. He was a very sensitive man and a great musician.’ —The Edge (U2)

‘It was all about him playing the guitar, it got into your soul.’—Cameron Crowe (Writer/Film Director)

‘In the 70s he built himself a reputation as a live performer of tremendous vitality.He was even headhunted to join The Rolling Stones.’—Niall Stokes (Editor, Hot Press)

‘One of the things that was crucial for me I got from Rory Gallagher, which was the idea of, like, being a guitar player for life and living it.’ —Johnny Marr (The Smiths)

I doubt Rory would be bothered that this generation of Nicki Minaj/Kim Kardashian idolisinging muppets (whom Twitter tells me were jealous of Anne Frank because Justin Beiber visted her house, and think Neil Armstrong played trumpet) don't know who he is. He has the respect of artists that do matter. Except, the Edge. No one cares about him. :P

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Yeah The Monkees never existed!

That's different, they started out as actors taking the piss out of the Beatles and grew from that, more organically. At least the Monkees played instruments. People are singing "I'm a Believer" almost 50 years later. Can you say that any of the pop music today will even be remembered in 10 years? or 5 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

Like all of the best bands Lizzy had an unmistakeable sound which is still instantly recognisable........... from their first album til their last.

With Philo they played a sensational live show which I was lucky enough to witness on several occasions back in the day. While the later versions of the band were obviously missing its main component they still put on a great show,particularly since Ricky Warwick became the vocalist. Just to see Gorham and Downey back on stage together was a great experience.

While Lizzy were never technically the best band ever,their unique sound and iconic songs will last for a long time.

Rory on the other hand..........pure genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Like all of the best bands Lizzy had an unmistakeable sound which is still instantly recognisable........... from their first album til their last.

With Philo they played a sensational live show which I was lucky enough to witness on several occasions back in the day. While the later versions of the band were obviously missing its main component they still put on a great show,particularly since Ricky Warwick became the vocalist. Just to see Gorham and Downey back on stage together was a great experience.

While Lizzy were never technically the best band ever,their unique sound and iconic songs will last for a long time.

Rory on the other hand..........pure genius.

Warwick isn't a bad frontman but he doesn't have the panache of Philo,
    Would disagree with you re your point on Lizzy not being a technical band

Some of Brian Downey's drumming on Chinatown or Bad Reputation is unbelievable which the twin lead riffs either replicating or playing separate lead parts is pretty impressive. Lynott was a solid bass player not spectacular but he was doing the vocals at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Some bands just don't appeal to some people I like Thin Lizzy but wouldnt be a huge fan. I also never understood the appeal of U2 at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

I will just leave this here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

RikkFlair wrote: »
    And in the news today...Philo's back!

he's back in town

btw - whatever happened about the Philo movie?? it never got off the ground or is it on hold or what??

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

Isn't that the same deal everywhere though? Crappy mainstream artists get pushed to the forefront, and half-decent "classic" artists are constantly praised and said to belong to the "good old days"? I'm not saying Garry Moore and Rory are bad artists at all, but calling them "some of the best musicians in the world" is hardly true considering the scope of music.

While other posters have beaten me to it, I would say Rory Gallagher could be considered one of the greatest guitarists of all time. The amount of praise he received off the likes of Clapton and Hendrix speaks volumes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭BadCompany

Small bit off topic, but as people are mentioning him a lot - Rory is completely underappreciated considering he's one of the finest musicians to ever come out of this country. I have a few work colleagues in my age group (mid 20s) who not only couldn't name a song of his, but have never heard of him - this is in Cork by the way! Where we have Rory Gallagher place and the Rory Gallagher Music Library and where he called home for most of his life! The mind boggles.

This is one of my favourite Rory videos, the playing and singing is magic as always but it's his humility at the start that really make it special for me. Seems like the most down-to-earth bloke you could meet.

Advertisement