Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overseas Player Watch

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Michael Keating playing on the left wing for Rotherham now on Sky Sports 2

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Burr10

Hagz wrote: »
    Michael Keating playing on the left wing for Rotherham now on Sky Sports 2

Bristol running riot at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Some absolutely cracking rugby being played.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Burr10

Fantastic break and pass by Keating

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

21-year-old Irishman Lydon is starting in the Amlin quarter-final for Stade Français

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/peter-lydon-kilkenny-stade-francais-1396595-Apr2014/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

21-year-old Irishman Lydon is starting in the Amlin quarter-final for Stade Français

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/peter-lydon-kilkenny-stade-francais-1396595-Apr2014/

Is he a regular starter for them or are they experimenting because europ doesnt matter to them

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Is he a regular starter for them or are they experimenting because europ doesnt matter to them

No he has only made one Top14 appearance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

A guy who's going fairly well is George McGuigan. Under 20s hooker from last season, getting lots of gametime with Falcons albeit mostly off the bench, scored an excellent try against Gloucester a week or two ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not Playing Tiddlywinks Vinny

Anyone have any idea how Ian Cross (formerly St. Helens & Young Munster) going in London with LI?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

Neil best (London Scottish ) stringer (bath) seem to be playing well for their respected clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭the perfect ten

Looking at the ERC Amlin stats, Stade Francais seem to use the Amlin as a means for giving the second-string players game time and developing some of the Academy players.

Lydon started at outhalf in two of the group matches and was a sub in three other games.

It is hard to see this Stade XV getting a result against a very strong looking Harlequins side containing Care, Brown Robshaw, Evans, Easter, Marler, etc.

I'd imagine Conor O'Shea will be asking Evans and Brown to drop a few garryowens on top of Lydon early on to see what he is made of. It could be quite a baptism of fire for him at full-back!

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Stan27

how did lydon play does anyone know????????

Stan27 wrote: »
    how did lydon play does anyone know????????

How's your French?? From the Stade website:-

"L’écart au score est assez net mais ne reflète finalement pas la très bonne prestation des nombreux jeunes alignés pour l’occasion, à l’image de Clément Daguin, Nicolas Garrault ou encore Peter Lydon. Paris a de l'avenir et peut clairement voir venir de ce côté là."

I saw the match on TV and thought Lydon did well also. One beautiful long pass to the winger Camara from which Stade nearly scored a try. Some first class clearing kick to touch.

It was a pity he had to go off after 55 minutes with a dead leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭iamjenko

That would seem to indicate that Stade were happy enough with him anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

London Scottish sign Stade Français back Peter Lydon on a one-year deal.

Very surprised at this. Not where i expected him to move at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Interesting. I suppose he was never gonna move up the pecking order at Stade being behind Steyn and Plisson. What are his chances of being first choice at LS I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Not the most patient man ever,
    1 season Lansdowne
    1 season Seapoint
    1 season Stade

I would have thought he would try to stay in France for a few years in order to get a JIFF status. That would instantly up his value in France for the rest of his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I would have thought he would try to stay in France for a few years in order to get a JIFF status. That would instantly up his value in France for the rest of his career.

He may not have had that much choice in the matter though.

stephen_n wrote: »
    He may not have had that much choice in the matter though.

I'd say he would have had other offers from France though. Clubs are happy to develop young foreigners who will become JIFFs.

• Advertisement

I'd say he would have had other offers from France though. Clubs are happy to develop young foreigners who will become JIFFs.

Strange one then alright, maybe he doesn't see his long term future in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not Playing Tiddlywinks Vinny

1 year deal isn't great either considering where he's heading...... very little security

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

1 year deal isn't great either considering where he's heading...... very little security

I'd imagine that he is hoping for a Premiership or other top tier offer after a year of regular first team rugby.

In SdeF he mainly played in the U23 league which is their version of 'A' rugby and a few appearances in a thirds team in Europe.

It's a loan deal for one year, which suggests he's going back to Stade afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    Not the most patient man ever,
    1 season Lansdowne
    1 season Seapoint
    1 season Stade

I hope he's making the best decisions for himself and they work out.

It's not always a straight-forward path for an average (using this in ignorance of seeing him/being aware of his ability) pro in rugby.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The only move there I don't understand is Lansdowne to Seapoint, everything else makes some sense.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    The only move there I don't understand is Lansdowne to Seapoint, everything else makes some sense.

The first point to note is that Lydon was playing U21 with Lansdowne in what would have been his first season out of school. According to John O'Sullivan in The Irish Times last week, Lydon was invited to join Seapoint by their coach, Nigel Osborne. Apparently Osborne was friendly with Richard Pool-Jones, the then director of rugby at Stade, and on the basis of Lydon's performance at Seapoint (he was one of three players nominated for the Player of the Season award in Division 2A) he was invited for a trial and this led to an academy contract.

If you remember, Robin Copeland had seasons at both Plymouth and Rotherham in The Championship in England before joining Cardiff two years ago and now he's off to Munster in the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone

stephen_n wrote: »
    It's a loan deal for one year, which suggests he's going back to Stade afterwards.

No, it's a permanent deal, no mention of him going back & be confirmed it in an article on the Journal

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Blackheath

George McGuigan starts his first game for Newcastle against Saracens. Ian Nagle is also on the bench. Eoin Sheriff starts fro Saracens aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Blackheath

Chris Farrell scored a try as Grenoble beat Racing Metro. He started at outside centre.

Advertisement