Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overseas Player Watch

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭student1990

Leinster have better depth right now, but have much more problems in the short term in replacing their first choice. Of course if Murray leaves then obviously Munster are bollixed.

Reddan has been very poor this season and will be 33 soon, Boss has been solid but turns 34 soon aswell. Neither will go on much longer.

If Hart does continue to progress and decides to come back in 18 months time, Leinster looks like the clear option to me if he wants to be first choice.

Pienaar & Murray will be locked in first choices, Marmion too probably.
    Leinster will more than likely be trying to get either Cooney or McGrath upto standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Hype710

Have people here actually seen Hart play or just basing their opinions on the fact he scored 14 points at the weekend? He's a decent player who's very much a 'French style' scrum half/petit generale but Cooney and McGrath are better players. Really hope to see the latter two get substantial Rabo game time in order to facilitate the transition when Reddan and Boss retire. I'm assuming there must be one or two promising nines below McGrath if they were willing to pass up Shanahan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭student1990

Hype710 wrote: »
    I'm assuming there must be one or two promising nines below McGrath if they were willing to pass up Shanahan.

it's an interesting question..
    The schools scrumhalves were:
    Dave Duggan(Michaels) and Dan Lavelle(Roscrea), neither standout to me as guys who will be in the academy next year. Possibly further down the line though

The under-19 scrumhalves this year were:
    Tim Schmidt(Terenure) and Joey Carbury(Blackrock), neither standout to me as guys who will be in the academy next year. Possibly further down the line though

The under-20 scrumhalves this year were:
    Nick McCarthy(Michaels) and Charlie Rock(Blackrock), both are actually still eligible for the 19s but this year age group was not particularly strong in regards to scrumhalf after Bobby Holland(Michaels) retired from rep rugby and injury hit Maher(Clongowes). McCarthy probably the most likely to get an academy spot but in comparison to McGrath at the same age, he isn't in the same class.

No obvious scrumhalf for the academy next season based on what i've seen to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

People are really jumping ahead of themselves here. One game does not make a player.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

shoutman wrote: »
    People are really jumping ahead of themselves here. One game does not make a player.

Hart's already in my 2015 RWC dream team!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Peter Lydon at 10 for Stade Francais.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Shane O Leary subs for Grenoble who play Bayonne tomorrow night in Amlin.
    Shane is former youths player with Scariff, Co Clare. Played Munster youths, 19s and 20s and last season was top scorer in u20 world trophy with Canada and helped the Canadians reach the final
    Tomorrow should be his debut for pro side. He's been mainly playing with espoirs side up until now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

George McGuigan starts for Newcastle in the Amlin.

John Andress starts for Worcester.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Irish number 8 Robin Copeland man of the match against Toulon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Hagz wrote: »
    Irish number 8 Robin Copeland man of the match against Toulon.
    He was really good. Ulster need a new 8 as Wilson is getting on.......:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭Buer

He's an excellent carrier but tends to fall away in other facets. Ridiculously mobile and good hands for a forward though. He's very much in the Tom Croft mould of player. Very willowy at rucks and not exactly a tackling machine either.

James Hart has signed with Grenoble until 2017. He current contract was set to run out in 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Any idea how much money he's on?

James Hart has signed with Grenoble until 2017. He current contract was set to run out in 2015.

That's a pity. I like the ideas of guys going overseas to get experience, but always nice to see them coming back... 2017 is a long while away and when Reddan and Boss retire we'll be hoping Marmion and McGrath come good...

As he's already French qualified, I believe, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that Les Bleus would call him up to their panel at some point in the next year or two. We've never produced a glut of scrum halves and they'd be only too happy to restrict our options, I'm sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭lurtz

Buer wrote: »
    He's an excellent carrier but tends to fall away in other facets. Ridiculously mobile and good hands for a forward though. He's very much in the Tom Croft mould of player. Very willowy at rucks and not exactly a tackling machine either.

huge fan of Copeland,its beyond me why one of the provinces hasnt tried very hard to get him back..or maybe hes just so happy in Cardiff

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭TheKeenMachine

London Irish just tweeted:
    Congratulations to @eamonnsheridan1 who was voted the best @LiRFC out of the first five rounds. #Top5fromFirst5
    Good to see him getting some recoginition over there, I reckon he could definitely come into international consideration in the future.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 biltons

Ryan Caldwell back from injury for Bath.

Congratulations to @eamonnsheridan1 who was voted the best @LiRFC out of the first five rounds. #Top5fromFirst5
    Good to see him getting some recoginition over there, I reckon he could definitely come into international consideration in the future.

I'd love to see him involved in a squad ala Morris soon. Maybe the wolfhounds? Get him tied down.

He has been superb for them. Has played every minute of their campaign to date. I'm a big, big fan. I'd love to see Leinster move for him now that he's finally fit and getting a run to show his talent.

Bad loss for LI yesterday to Newcastle. They missed 5 shots at goal and only lost by 2 points.

Review of the Irish players involved from the LI forum:
    Sheridan 8 - half a dozen powerful runs over gain line in first half with some great clamp tackles forcing several turnovers. Anonymous like the rest of the backs in the second half.

Humph - 4 had no control over the game whatsoever. Decision making was dire, and failed to involve our backs for the whole of the second half. Seemed utterly clueless as to what was happening around him.

TOL 5 - Looks a shadow of his former self. Too one dimensional today. We need Phibbs back asap.

Hagan 6 - solid and one barn storming run from Hagan I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 richj

lurtz wrote: »
    huge fan of Copeland,its beyond me why one of the provinces hasnt tried very hard to get him back..or maybe hes just so happy in Cardiff

I think he got badly treated by the IRFU when he was in the Leinster academy.

richj wrote: »
    I think he got badly treated by the IRFU when he was in the Leinster academy.

He has stated himself that he didn't apply himself when at Leinster. By his own admission, he was "half assed" in his approach to professional rugby at the time. He left the academy; he wasn't cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,731 ✭✭✭✭phog

Exeter Chiefs tweeted that Tom Hayes has had to retire from rugby.

Shame really.

Best of Luck to him in whatever lies ahead for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

phog wrote: »

Shame really.

Farming at a wild guess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Michael Noone scored for Leicester in the LV cup Friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭OldRio

Yeah
    Watching the highlights of the LV now on ITV

phog wrote: »

Shame really.

That's a pity, always thought he'd become a decent squad member in an Irish province. What age is he?

.ak wrote: »
    That's a pity, always thought he'd become a decent squad member in an Irish province. What age is he?

34 in May so he was coming to the end of his career anyway.

.ak wrote: »

He'll be 34 at the end of the season so, while it's before his time, he was probably going to be retiring in the next couple of seasons.

• Advertisement

Dolphin RFC prop Paddy Ryan has signed for Viadana.

Advertisement