Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst Job you ever had...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,081 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Security work, without a license might I add. It was 8 years ago and really all I did was stand on the door of a shop 8 hours a day,worst thing is the **** boss(my friend of 5 years) I had was not paying the tax he deducted me each week, little prick sacked me when I started to stand up to his bull shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Production line in effectively a box* factory. The stuff we manufactured was usually industrial sized, so pretty big and heavy. I worked on a machine that involved lifting the box on, pressing two buttons (same function, had to press simultaneously to verify your hands were clear) than turning it over and repeating this before moving it on. On the chalk board behind me was how many thousands of that size we were gonna make that week. Loud, boring, hard.

*(Okay, it made storage containers slightly more interesting than boxes)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

Worked the door in a club for a while. Serious eye opener and not something I would do again in a hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

Watching frozen pizzas float past me on a production line checking for bits of things that shouldnt have been on them. Cold and mind-numbingly boring. Lasted 6 months at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

I can't decide if working in a local supermarket or in New Look was the worst...:( I would rather be unemployed for the rest of my life than go back there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Worked as a general dogsbody in a small hotel when I was 14 one summer, for £1 an hour. They seriously took advantage of me (not in that way!!). I did everything from dragging crates of beer up from the cellar and stocking up the bars, to cleaning/housekeeping, waitressing, washing dishes and being kitchen porter. The receptionists used to feel sorry for me and made sure I got breaks - which lasted for exactly as long as it took me to eat my food. I really, really, hated it and knew I was being screwed (again, not in that way!!) but my father thought it would be character building for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

This thread reminded me of this video. :pac:

[

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Freelance graphic design. The amount of assholes who think it's just "Clicking on a computer" or some form of wizardry was amazing. I had one woman who wanted a picture turned around. OK, so I flip it, now the left is on the right. NOPE! She wanted it FLIPPED! So I turn it upside down. STILL NO, YOU IDIOT! She wanted it FLIPPED, to see the
    person taking the photograph.

Once had to chase down a bunch of cunts who thought they could get me to design a logo, and use it everywhere without paying me. Same with a woman who I made a website for. NOPE, LADY! I have the password for the server! Yes, I took the site offline. OK, I'll give the letter from your lawyer to mine, who will tell your lawyer that I want the money she owes me, with a copy of the contract. Bitch.

I hate people who think they're higher than you because of your job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

thecatspjs wrote: »
    So you didn't get the €1000? Why not? I think that job sounds alright! Good physical labour and it's only for a couple of weeks I guess???

You get 1 cent per book:eek:, But you really give out a leaflet and a magazine to each house.

so you carry a heavy trolley full of yellow pages and a very heavy bag of magazines and leaflets that your not getting paid for. I was situated in blackrock and dun laoghre, most of the houses had huge drive ways and after the first few hours you'd be ****in dead. I done that job for 6 weeks and I just couldnt do it after that.

You'd never make the 1,000 a week. Don't forget you get stuck in traffic, need to get lunch, fill the van/lorry with books in the morning and the rules are you can't deliver to a persons home before 7 in the morning. It might sound good but try it for a day or 2 and you'll soon see how hard it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Chewing bread for gummy chickens on a farm and showing me arse in a chip-shop window for a cod.Never again.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

I was ringing around looking for a job, one guy rang back at 9am one morning, quick chat and say OK....
    Now get ur ass into such a street, meet Joe, tell him I sent and no ****in about....
    I went back to bed..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Hasbro,

8 hours a day putting various things into a monopoly box. Soul crushing.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

ziedth wrote: »
    Hasbro,

8 hours a day putting various things into a monopoly box. Soul crushing.....

yeah I get that, especially if you were assigned to the boot, cuz no one likes being the boot but the dog would be a great job cuz everyone wants to be the dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Kitchen porter earning the princeley sum of 2.50 punts an hour. About two years later Mary Harney brought in the national minimum wage and I won't hear a bad word against her. That lady was a saint in my eyes!

Standing over a sink that was too low, I had the crippled back of an 80 year old.

Food everywhere but I wasn't allowed anything, not even to make a sandwich. I would be weak from hunger during my 10 hour shift and would scoop out some food from the trays with my hands while I was carrying them down the corridor after carvary was closed. Nobody around.

Chefs throwing stuff at me. Managers roaring even more.

Washing machine broke one morning so washed 300 cups and saucers by hand and being told to hurry up all the time.

A mountain of pots that was as tall as teenage self.

A barrel of food that the local pig farmer would come and take away. One day it fell and I was shovelling waste food off the ground for the next hour.

Power washing the floor was easy but lifting out the grease traps was a right mess.

Power washing the compactor and wasps swarming at me! I weighed 9 stone and I was supposed to lift bins and skips which weighed more then I did. Lazy cúnts used to put liquids in the bins, they didn't care but I did.

The porters would get me to clean the toilets which is not a kitchen porters job but I was young and did anything I was told to do.

Got roared at one day in the lobby and told to clean up the shít in the kitchen. Came down to yet another mountain of pots and pains and three other porters standing around doing nothing. All left to mise.

Hadn't even started my shift and walked out and called the head chef who was nice and pleaded for me to come back. Said no and then I was told to fook off so.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Lidl

They've cleaned up their act since I left, which was around the time the media started making light of how strict they were and how high the turnover was with staff and managers; 12 hour shifts with a 30 minute break (half the time you never got to fully have), toilet breaks were monitored and you had to ask the manager for the key to it, staff turnover was a complete joke, etc.

A strict German work mentality with an Irish workforce just doesn't mix very well. The entire place was about saving money, every single cent was squeezed out of the staff.

But by far the worst was the behaviour of the customers. This specific Lidl opened up in my town so I got to see all the people I knew turn into feral animals when it came to piece of shìt Chinese knock-off specials because they were at a low price.

On Monday and Thursday mornings, it was like Dawn of The Dead where people would cue up at 8am to buy something they really didn't need. The crowd would roam around the doors staring at you, anxiously waiting for you to turn the key to open the door where they barged in and left their manners at the door.

Once we had CRT TVs lined up, the door opened, and people raced down the aisles pushing each other out of the way and into the shelves. I saw a piece of cling film on the ground by the TV crate but before I could pick it up I was grabbed by the back of my neck and thrown to the side while they clawed at the TVs.

A district manager was down that day on a visit and went to retrieve a 2nd pallet of TVs. He came out of the warehouse, people surrounded him, he asked him to calm down and let him set the pallet down in it's place. Within seconds, one person walked by him, tore the cling film off and took a TV where everyone followed suit, pushed the manager out of the way, ignored his pleas to calm down and crawled over each other to grab one. He just stood there with a shocked expression on him............clearly he was new to the position :pac:

As what happened with a lot of technological stuff, more than half the TVs came back because of faults. They really were a piece of shìt made with the cheapest of components but if you call it a bargain, the customers will come.

We mock the Americans and how they act on Black Friday but that shìt happened every Monday and Thursday at Lidl (and presumably Aldi, too).

I've ventured into a Lidl the odd time since then but I still get Vietnam-esque flashbacks when I hear the deadening silence of the place interrupted by the shriek of the till bell......................*shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

people really are sh¡t

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

The worst job I ever did was bouncing in a pub in Killorglin in Kerry during Puck Fair. While having been a doorman for a couple of years, this was the first contract I had myself. I arrived on the first day only to be informed that the back room of the pub was full of a group of well-known and dangerous Travellers from Tralee who decided to pop in for a few dozen pints while casually armed to the teeth. After politely remonstrating with the apparent leader of the group they decided to leave before the "shades" came; however one of them attempted to dig me on the way out leading me to grab him in an armlock and turf him out the door; which thankfully I managed to close and lock in time as the lads proceeded to smash three windows in the front of the pub. About three hours later they came back and through a huge firework with nails taped on to it at me as I stood at the door, thus leading to my leg getting cut to sh*t. Thankfully most of them got arrested later on in the day for fighting another group of Travellers from Limerick so I avoided getting a slash-hook in the face for my efforts.

If dealing with violent nomadic lunatics wasn't bad enough, the local farmers and mountain men were nearly as bad. Some of the people there were like something out of a time-warp back to the 1950s; it was like a cartoon portrayal of Irish drunkenness. The bar opened at 7am and closed at around 4am. I had to start on the door at 10am and already had to turn people away for being out of their minds. One day the farmers drove in cattle for sale at 5am and the entire street was covered in cow sh*t. One auld fella actually fell asleep in a pile of sh*t he was so drunk, and tried to attack me because I refused him entry. While attempting to wrestle me in the door he smeared a huge dollop of excrement onto my face. This was at 11am in the morning.

Later that afternoon around lunch time some other man pulled out his dick and p*ssed all over a woman's back. On average I had to throw out at least fifty people, about five of which went peacefully. People openly lit cigarettes in the pub and by the end of it I had to admit defeat and let them smoke in the back room, just as long as the cops couldn't see in the window. Trying to roust them out of the pub at 4am was akin to a life-or-death battle with every sing customer.

At one stage a local character, who announced his name as "Sexy Richard" jumped in over the back wall. Pulled off his top advertising his prison tattoos and dared any man or woman to fight him. After evicting the unruly patron (in which a brief struggle ensued) he came back the next evening and bought me a pint.

Insane place. Insane people. I'll never be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Done 3 months as a security guard in Boots when I was on summer hols from College. Horrible, I spent ten hours a day walking around the shop bored and taking abuse from little scrotes. I shoulda walked out after the first day but being the masochist I was back then I endured. I'll never ever put myself through that Hell for anybody ever again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

fathead82 wrote: »
    The 2 days I worked in supermacs.
    I decided to quit on the second day when i seen myself in the bathroom mirror,mopping up piss,wearing that stupid hat!

Let me guess what you were thinking?

Errrm......was it ''what the f**k am I doing here?, by any chance? :pac::pac:

When I was 19 I moved to London and started working in an industrial waste disposal yard in a really sh*t part of East London. Most of the stuff coming in was construction-related waste but the odd time the stuff in the skips would be mad altogether. One day a Lithuanian lorry driver came in with three skips filled with rotting onions and the stink off them would knock an elephant. That's all we could smell for the entire week. While emptying one skip with a grab machine I discovered that someone had put a dead horse under a load of other rubbish. The horse then got stuck in the processing plant. Due to the fact it was decomposing it had swelled up and the belly exploded thus spewing rotting horse guts all over everything, including the other rubbish which had to be manually handled. Another skip yielded bags and bags of medical waste including sacks of blood which burst everywhere.

The entire complex was infested with massive rats drawn by the mounds of rubbish. Once I was lying on my back on a conveyor belt fixing a chute when a rat proceeded to fall down the vent and land on my stomach. The rats were around 9 inches long minimum, excluding tails. They came in a multitude of colours. I used to shoot them with a massive pellet gun I found in the rubbish (along with several bullet-proof vests.)

Most of the workers there were Eastern Europeans and a good third of them were absolute lunatics from the former USSR and Albania. One morning at around 11am a massive Chechen called Sultan had drank a bottle of vodka on the work line and proceeded to strip naked and stand on a massive pile of rubbish yelling insults at the security camera. The police were called. Around this time a fight broke out between a group of Romanians and a group of Albanians and one lad was stabbed with a screwdriver. During my time here there was one fatality and a raft of injuries.

I knew fellas who were off to Afghanistan and yet I'd wager you were far more likely to be killed or injured in that mad place than you were out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho

keith16 wrote: »
    Door to door sales. Young and naive, I turned up for this exciting opportunity not knowing what was involved.

Worst day ever. Never went back.

seconded...looks good on the CV for working 100% and sales, but still...

worst summer of my life. was only last summer too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I have a huge respect for Door-to-Door sales reps. That's a genuinely tough job, forget your boring call centre jobs or monotonous factory jobs. Did it briefly after my Leaving Cert and was walking miles upon miles around for only commission. Some absolutely amazing stories I have from my month at it and it was a great bit of life experience. The abuse you'd get was only matched by the pitiful amount of money you'd make. Really helped me to appreciate good jobs I got.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,639 ✭✭✭✭josip

vandriver wrote: »
    I was an organ tuners assistant for a summer job in school.The most boring thing I ever did.
    Could have been worse. You could have been an organ grinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Hoop66

FTA69 wrote: »
    The worst job I ever did was bouncing in a pub in Killorglin in Kerry during Puck Fair...

Insane place. Insane people. I'll never be back.

Would have been better if it had ended "Can't wait for next year"...

I did 6 weeks cleaning oil/chemical tankers in Rotterdam. Full hazmat suit on a ladder with a long-handled scrubbing brush. It was hot and it stank, even through a mask. THe money was unbelievable though, 240 quid a week! (This was 1984).

I also used to do hay-bailing for various friends' fathers who had farms. Again the money was quite good and we used to get hold of lethal home-made cider from the farm workers. But I have never been in so much pain as I was after the first week when every muscle was stiff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 Quaint Village

When I was 16 I worked for my Uncle's house and office removals company. Tough job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

When I was 17 I worked in the kitchen of a pub/restaurant and it was torture. Hours were awful, I was utterly useless at the job and there was one person there who made no attempt to encourage me or make informal conversation like everybody else did. They usually fixed their eyes on me, waiting to point out what I was doing wrong and, I suspect, almost hoping I would screw up.

Also the rota wouldn't go up until the start of the week, so I could wake up of a Monday morning not knowing whether or not I had to be in work for midday.

Three of the most soul-destroying weeks of my life. To this day I am grateful that another job fell into my lap almost immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

FTA69 wrote: »
    When I was 19 I moved to London and started working in an industrial waste disposal yard in a really sh*t part of East London. Most of the stuff coming in was construction-related waste but the odd time the stuff in the skips would be mad altogether. One day a Lithuanian lorry driver came in with three skips filled with rotting onions and the stink off them would knock an elephant. That's all we could smell for the entire week. While emptying one skip with a grab machine I discovered that someone had put a dead horse under a load of other rubbish. The horse then got stuck in the processing plant. Due to the fact it was decomposing it had swelled up and the belly exploded thus spewing rotting horse guts all over everything, including the other rubbish which had to be manually handled. Another skip yielded bags and bags of medical waste including sacks of blood which burst everywhere.

The entire complex was infested with massive rats drawn by the mounds of rubbish. Once I was lying on my back on a conveyor belt fixing a chute when a rat proceeded to fall down the vent and land on my stomach. The rats were around 9 inches long minimum, excluding tails. They came in a multitude of colours. I used to shoot them with a massive pellet gun I found in the rubbish (along with several bullet-proof vests.)

Most of the workers there were Eastern Europeans and a good third of them were absolute lunatics from the former USSR and Albania. One morning at around 11am a massive Chechen called Sultan had drank a bottle of vodka on the work line and proceeded to strip naked and stand on a massive pile of rubbish yelling insults at the security camera. The police were called. Around this time a fight broke out between a group of Romanians and a group of Albanians and one lad was stabbed with a screwdriver. During my time here there was one fatality and a raft of injuries.

I knew fellas who were off to Afghanistan and yet I'd wager you were far more likely to be killed or injured in that mad place than you were out there.

Your post explains why New Labour and Tony Blair are loved so much over here.

dd972 wrote: »
    Your post explains why New Labour and Tony Blair are loved so much over here.

Why is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Christ the Redeemer

24 hour shifts in a bread factory.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 817 ✭✭✭audman

BNMC wrote: »
    Barman at a busy hotel. It was owned and run by a Mother and Son, both cunts of the highest order. They watched you like a hawk an timed your breaks. Just an awful tension in the place all the time, I lasted 2 years there before finally getting another job. It did have one perk though and that was the sex with the owners 18 year old daughter in the cellar 4 or 5 times a month.

Nice :)

*sigh, unzips trousers... FAP

Advertisement