Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst Job you ever had...

Options
  • 11-08-2013 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭

Mine was picking stones in a giant field for the whole summer holidays to clear the way for a golf course for rich folk.
    We were paid the princely sum of 90 pence an hour to gather rocks into a net nitrate bag and pour them into a trailer while the foreman whipped us with a stick if we started slacking off.
    Jesus the 80"s were sh1t.

Well ,what was your worst job?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭thecatspjs

Production line in a mayonnaise factory. Worst 4 hours of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

thecatspjs wrote: »
    Production line in a mayonnaise factory. Worst 4 hours of my life.

It was absolute hell, manns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Cloakroom attendant in a nightclub- freezing cold by the door all night long, fights abuse and muppetry at chucking out time when idiots lose their tickets and can't accept they'll have to wait til the end, and when it's all over you have to clean the place...shudder...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Curator of a small museum for the summer as part of the student summer job scheme, those were the days. I had four visitors in the five weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Taking the staples out of bundles of application forms for a mobile phone company and putting them in one big stack. Literally, there was no more to it than that. Gave it until 4pm and walked. Should have walked at 9.30am but I thought it was some form of initiation prank and I didn't want to give in

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Door to door sales. Young and naive, I turned up for this exciting opportunity not knowing what was involved.

Worst day ever. Never went back.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

oldyouth wrote: »
    Taking the staples out of bundles of application forms for a mobile phone company and putting them in one big stack. Literally, there was no more to it than that. Gave it until 4pm and walked. Should have walked at 9.30am but I thought it was some form of initiation prank and I didn't want to give in

How did you stop the stack of staples toppling over?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Market research for a new company in the wastewater treatment industry. All day cold calling and mailing people who don't want to know you. Don't know how call centre/sales people do it.

Also site testing software and inspection procedures for septic tank inspections..lovely work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    How did you stop the stack of staples toppling over?
    Touche :P

Perhaps I was in the right job for my talents

• Registered Users Posts: 7,421 ✭✭✭tritium

I've had some crappy jobs- selling scratch cards on the street, working in a junkie infested part of Dublin. Strangely I think the worst, purely for structure and management, was an office job dealing with women's healthcare. Management were obsessed with giving themselves new titles and pay rises as often as possible while doing nothing to develop folks who worked for them. The senior layer was mainly female and I've never seen a more misandristic bunch.

Strangely I stayed a while because the regular staff were mostly sound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Glass collector in a niteclub.

Drunk people are arseholes, especially when you're sober. I had one bitch, with a chip on her shoulder, try and knock me over a few times while I was carrying stacks of glasses to/from the bar. I was also bound to clean the toilets at the end of the night. When I finally had enough and left (on good terms with management), my ex-boss deciced to bar me from the pub/club. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭truebluesac

I remember when i was an apprentice we had to earth the structral steels for a big factory in lixlip . It was all external work in january .howling wind , Snowing ,the steel was freezin cold to the touch and just couldnt get the heat into me .

Boaring work and what made it worse it was dark when we started and dark when we finished . No life as all i wanted to do was go home and jump into the fire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

Picking strawberries one summer. Back breaking, sh!te money and I got sick of eating strawberries

• Registered Users Posts: 43 BillG

Telesales, cold calling. Spent two days at it when travelling around New Zealand in my youth. I hate being on the end of these type of calls so at the end of two days I couldn't live with myself any longer.......ugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Done a couple of weeks in a chicken farm, 5000 chickens in a shed, it took the first ten minutes of the day just to get used to the smell and you don't want to know what came out of my nose when I blew it, fuppin horrible stinky hot work and all for the princely sum of 6 pound per day!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

working for a contract cleaning company , some of my tasks included cleaning the mortuary/ postmortem room , and the chapel or rest where family's view their dead , there would be regularly people laid out in open coffins while i polish the floor

i was 16 at the time :P

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭shankespony

Can Concur with Phat Cat on this one, this company had a whole thread to itself once.

10-12-2012, 01:22 #43
    Phat Cat

Adverts | Friends

Worst: Page7Media (Car Buyers Guide, Menupages, InDublin). Terrible pay with long hours complemented by possibly the most poisonous atmosphere and psychologically manipulating management imaginable. Horrendous place to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭shankespony

Sorry, didn't mean to drag up old thread mods,

Here goes

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...php?p=63146415

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭kult

security dealing with travellers animal all day long

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Food Runner in a 5 star hotel restraunt

snobby bastards the lot of them

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭fathead82

The 2 days I worked in supermacs.
    I decided to quit on the second day when i seen myself in the bathroom mirror,mopping up piss,wearing that stupid hat!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Moderator/Moderator Manager on another forum. No pay, on-call to respond to reported posts/threads 24/7, constant complaints by argumentative trolls who deliberately broke rules & it was impossible to know who was brown nosing, and who was genuinely being nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Polishing silver. The fumes were unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Not a job per se but helping to pick gooseberries and black currents was no easy job then top and tail them ah the joys of country living thank goodness don't have them anymore! Avoiding nettles and not get stung or bitten or scratched was a task in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Boaring work

What were the pigs for? :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Trainee Supermarket manager- hell on earth. I didn't mind fruit and veg picking when I was younger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Working in a bar and restaurant on long island on my j1.

In at 9 to sweep, mop and clean the toilets. Get changed into formal clothes at half 11 and start bussing tables at 12. Do that for 4 hours, then get an hours break before doing the dinner rush till 11 or 12 at night. Then home to bed.

Rinse and repeat for 6 days a week x3 months. Only got to see new york on my last week there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Three very long long months back in my student days working in supermacs, Limerick. My manager said to me 'You don't respect me...' I didn't think it right to turn up the next week considering my response.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

Repoman in Texas. I quit after the third time I was shot at. Was a hell of a lot of fun stealing trucks and cars until then, though.

Advertisement