Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst Job you ever had...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭calanus

Working at an oyster farm for a year which was in actual fact quite enjoyable until I contracted terrible shellfish poisoning from handling dead oysters and not scrubbing those fingernails after work. Bedridden for a month!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Stunt cock

The amount of pineapple I had to eat daily has put me off pineapple for life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Customer service representative for a UK based broadband company, awful, awful job two weeks of inadequate training of diagrams not even related to the job, and then lobbed on the phones. What a shyte job, i was convinced our section of the callcentre was the buffer for rest of the place, Solid abuse down the phone for 9 hours a day, everyday! ''ya irish fuks" "paddy cnuts" etc etc, our breaks were timed, we had one 15 minute break and a 45 minute break for 9 hour day, we had to set our phones when we went on our breaks so the management would know if we were back late or on time from the breaks, 20 people started the same day i did, i stuck it out for 3 months and when i quit there was only 3 people left that started the same day i did. i just got up out of my seat, put down my headset after a a flurry of abuse down the phone and turned off my computer and left and went on the beer for the day. fcuk that place i never went back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Customer service representative for a UK based broadband company, awful, awful job two weeks of inadequate training of diagrams not even related to the job, and then lobbed on the phones. What a shyte job, i was convinced our section of the callcentre was the buffer for rest of the place, Solid abuse down the phone for 9 hours a day, everyday! ''ya irish fuks" "paddy cnuts" etc etc, our breaks were timed, we had one 15 minute break and a 45 minute break for 9 hour day, we had to set our phones when we went on our breaks so the management would know if we were back late or on time from the breaks, 20 people started the same day i did, i stuck it out for 3 months and when i quit there was only 3 people left that started the same day i did. i just got up out of my seat, put down my headset after a a flurry of abuse down the phone and turned off my computer and left and went on the beer for the day. fcuk that place i never went back

AOL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭thecatspjs

With regards to jobs like this, and other similar ones mentioned throughout the thread. Is there any long term staff in these places (Outside of management)? I know there are times when 'a job is a job', and you have to stick it out for a bit, but I couldn't imagine working in a place like that for more than a couple of months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Liamario wrote: »
    AOL?

No wasnt them, dont know how boards feels about naming companys on here but it sounds like miss-cali :P
    thecatspjs wrote: »
    With regards to jobs like this, and other similar ones mentioned throughout the thread. Is there any long term staff in these places (Outside of management)? I know there are times when 'a job is a job', and you have to stick it out for a bit, but I couldn't imagine working in a place like that for more than a couple of months.

as far as i know there were 5-6 long term staff outside management that were there that had their own section because they had not transfered over to the company fully yet or something like that, our section was 20 all new people and it felt like we were the sacrifice to distract the lions

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭unattendedbag

I could have wrote this myself. Very high turnover of staff. You can get promoted too manager in a few weeks if you put in any bit of effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭HelpImAlive

thecatspjs wrote: »

I work somewhere similar and there are a good few permanent staff who have been there for over 3/4 years. Off my head in my campaign of 20, there are 12 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭mojesius

Call centre.

I worked in one in London for a big car rental company, customer service.

They had big screens everywhere with the number of calls queuing. When a call went over 30 seconds waiting, the screens started flashing red and the supervisors would start shouting 'CALLS QUEUING', even if everyone was already on the phone.

The supervisors used to sit at the end of the pod, looking over 8-10 people. Complete micro-management. We used to get pulled into the manager's office if you were even a minute late logging in, even thought you always ended up working past your shift because it was so hectic.

We took 60 calls each on a quiet day, over 100 on a busy day. I used to get the 'stupid Irish c*nt' and 'paddy b*tch' stuff down the phone all the time. The rudest were the posh toff older Londoners and gangsta boy racers - Both fúcking horrible to deal with.

The hours were pants as well, shift work, really erratic. The pay was so crap that you had to work at least two weekend days overtime a month, just to be able to go out a night or two.

I got promoted to supervisor after 2-3 months (an extra 3 grand a year) and I was expected to start screaming at my coworkers. My day was spent doing 'manager escalation calls' (i.e. placating the rudest and most irrational customers) all day. Quit after three weeks of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Joe Exotic

Off this bird in a pub toilet in dublin she was all teeth:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I suppose it doesn't help that most of the posters on this thread are lazy b@stards and hate any type of work other than sitting on their arses all day.

Only joking :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mockler007

being on the dole for a month was my worst job ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Delivering coal on a horse and cart when I was about 11. My eyes flared up on me itching red, they were like two pissholes in the snow.

Another job was delivering letters and telegrams for the post office all around Limerick on my bicycle. One day I fell off my bike and met a lovely girl who I lost my virginity to, although she did have the consumption.

The worst of all was writing and delivering threatening letters for a loan shark, who died one day, I robbed her black book of all her customers, threw it into the Shannon and made my way to America where I became a teacher.

Worst for me was Dell in Limerick in the 90's, long hours and noisy factory floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

padma wrote: »
    Delivering coal on a horse and cart when I was about 11. My eyes flared up on me itching red, they were like two pissholes in the snow.

Another job was delivering letters and telegrams for the post office all around Limerick on my bicycle. One day I fell off my bike and met a lovely girl who I lost my virginity to, although she did have the consumption.

The worst of all was writing and delivering threatening letters for a loan shark, who died one day, I robbed her black book of all her customers, threw it into the Shannon and made my way to America where I became a teacher.

Worst for me was Dell in Limerick in the 90's, long hours and noisy factory floor.

In fairness Frank, you came round the corner too fast on that bike of yours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭green_bow

milking cows in new Zealand for four months

padma wrote: »

Frank told some lies in that book of his :rolleyes:

green_bow wrote: »
    milking cows in new Zealand for four months
    Try it for 20 years ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Funeral insurance salesman in an outbound call centre situated over a macdonalds in melbour ne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Sirsok wrote: »
    Funeral insurance salesman in an outbound call centre situated over a macdonalds in melbour ne

That would be dead hard to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I remember when i was an apprentice we had to earth the structral steels for a big factory in lixlip . It was all external work in january .howling wind , Snowing ,the steel was freezin cold to the touch and just couldnt get the heat into me .

Boaring work and what made it worse it was dark when we started and dark when we finished . No life as all i wanted to do was go home and jump into the fire

Mercury Eng. Elec apprentice ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Customer Care Representative for a mobile phone company. The general public are wankers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭green_bow

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Try it for 20 years ;)

you never met the boss I had for those four months :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭con1421

Mcdonalds as it was literally slave labour. Long days with low pay and constantly on your feet. There was so much wrong with that job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I worked a few summer jobs in call centres and it was really the pits as jobs go. You just end up saying the same things over and over until your brain starts to melt.

I dealt with a mix of UK and Irish customers and to be honest, never really got any abuse from any of them. I got a few nutters alright but, that's to be expected.

Our place had a policy that you didn't have to take abusive calls. So, if someone got ridiculous on the phone you could simply hang up on them.

The worst I used to get was customers being sleazy with me / trying to chat me up. (I'm male btw..) but it was kinda funny. What's even funnier is that despite the fact that the system warns them the calls are recorded for training purposes, they probably don't realise that they are played back for 'training purposes' (and a good laugh).

At least in that particular job, we had a lot of stuff to do and quite a bit of autonomy so you could actually dig through to the bottom of cases and get stuff sorted out for people.

However, the worst ever was dealing with repetitive stuff where you were just taking endless calls about really boring issues.

I could normally talk the hind legs off a donkey, but I would come home just wanting to veg out and not talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

Barman at a busy hotel. It was owned and run by a Mother and Son, both cunts of the highest order. They watched you like a hawk an timed your breaks. Just an awful tension in the place all the time, I lasted 2 years there before finally getting another job. It did have one perk though and that was the sex with the owners 18 year old daughter in the cellar 4 or 5 times a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭markc1184

I used to work cleaning a supermarket before school during 5th and 6th year. The job was fine, I'd no problem doing it, it was the people I was working with that was the problem. They would look down there noses at you because they were older. The were thieving cnuts too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Delivering the yellow pages about 2 years ago. Get up at 6 in the morning, finish 6 at night, fill the lorry with pallets, then go deliver them. Very hard work and at the end of it the money that was promised was just not there. They said you'd make 1,000 a week, you could but you'd be dead by the end of it.

I seen them advertising a few weeks ago for new people. I'd rather be unemployed then work for them bastards again..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭thecatspjs

carzony wrote: »
    Delivering the yellow pages about 2 years ago. Get up at 6 in the morning, finish 6 at night, fill the lorry with pallets, then go deliver them. Very hard work and at the end of it the money that was promised was just not there. They said you'd make 1,000 a week, you could but you'd be dead by the end of it.

I seen them advertising a few weeks ago for new people. I'd rather be unemployed then work for them bastards again..

So you didn't get the €1000? Why not? I think that job sounds alright! Good physical labour and it's only for a couple of weeks I guess???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭vandriver

I was an organ tuners assistant for a summer job in school.The most boring thing I ever did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Working in a bar and restaurant on long island on my j1.

In at 9 to sweep, mop and clean the toilets. Get changed into formal clothes at half 11 and start bussing tables at 12. Do that for 4 hours, then get an hours break before doing the dinner rush till 11 or 12 at night. Then home to bed.

Rinse and repeat for 6 days a week x3 months. Only got to see new york on my last week there.

Not Gosmans, by any chance?

Advertisement