Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst spelling you have seen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

PJ'S ..Instead of jimjams

The CATS PJS - Irony...

"de cax were PJ's"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

"loose" and "lose"

big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

We are not exactly wired to go through it letter by letter so, if spell check dose not catch it, neither will we.

(I got terrible grief in school for years for that one, the english teacher thought I was taking the piss, because I always got it wrong).

I thankfully never learned txtspk though, as it looks ridiculous. Does anybody know of anyone who still uses it with a smartphone? and will you give them a kick up the arse, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Red Pepper wrote: »
    "loose" and "lose"

big difference.

Much as I try to be tolerant and a non-pedant, this one does annoy me a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

"I should of..."

Shudder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

People who mix up board and bored wreck my head.........

"I'm so board, think I'll go on boreds.ie and entertain myself for a while"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

I find it interesting how people speak of language and spelling mistakes in terms of disgust and (often) how "ugly" it is; how it makes them sick, angry, outraged, appalled, etc. What's going on here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Creasy_bear

"loose" and "lose"

big difference.

Yeah, "looser" is one you see on here everyday day.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,715 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

"loose" and "lose"

big difference.

It's the people who invented the pronunciation of lose that are at fault. Why does it have to rhyme with choose but not goose? Could it not rhyme with hose, nose, pose and rose or even dose to avoid confusion?

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

Such a shame to be this tracted by spelling mistakes and miss the point of the post. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Chareth Cutestory

Oh everybody calm down and get yourselves a hang sangwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭CatLou

"I'm feeling *allfull*" Saw this one today...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Hooked

I had a TY student type up a wedding mass book and she typed 'all of their worried lives' as part of the vows. In place of 'all of their married lives'.

She was either thick and struggling to read the handwriting OR (I suspect) trying to land me in the shït..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭m0ynihan

rilijin. RILIJIN. REALLY!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Theirs nothing worse then been bombarded by bad spellings - they should of payed attention in skewl.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,066 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Retalivity

i'll have none of that baaaaaaaaiii!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Hooked wrote: »
    I had a TY student type up a wedding mass book and she typed 'all of their worried lives' as part of the vows. In place of 'all of their married lives'.

She was either thick and struggling to read the handwriting OR (I suspect) trying to land me in the shït..
    Ha!
    Not a spelling thing but on a related note, I know someone who typed up a wedding mass booklet for friends and decided to speed matters up by auto-replacing the names of the couple from another mass booklet she had on file; unfortunately Groom number 1's name was 'Joseph', Groom number 2's name was 'Thomas', and the readings lost a bit of meaning when 'Jesus, Mary and Thomas' came into one of the prayers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Theirs nothing worse then been bombarded by bad spellings - they should of payed attention in skewl.
    What's shcol for anyways ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    What's shcol for anyways ?

Lerning two do sums.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Hooked

I see what you did THERE!!!!

As a designer, people often misspell words with actual other words so a smell check won't prick it up. We've had a few over the ears. No amount of explaining ever gets thorough to then client.

If it's technically spelt right but in the wrong palace or context - they thing we are at fault?

If you follow me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭andymann

Tough instead of though, like wtf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

How did this thread get so far? Put it out of its misery. More rehashed grammatical observations that cause ire - ad nauseum. Grammar nazi threads are probably neck and neck with dole threads at this stage. Fuuuuck...why did I even bother enough to post that. I'll move along!

andymann wrote: »
    Tough instead of though, like wtf?

It must be a bit rough and tough though for people to learn English. What with bough, cough, dough and lough to contend with as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

"my little womens"

- my little woman

fcuk me it drives me insane, always posts it on fb :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

It must be a bit rough and tough though for people to learn English. What with bough, cough, dough and lough to contend with as well.

Thorough is my favourite.

Thorough is my favourite.

You probably know this little poem.

http://www.wordsmith.org/awad/english2.html

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Nodster

For Sale.....in grate condition :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭WilhelmFink

You's

• Advertisement