Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Door to door chugging

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

Thread reminds me of this prank:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Got a phone call from a charity fundraising. She asked if i'd heard of the work they were doing and I said yes as my brother worked for them. She thanked me and hung up and they've never phoned again. I was telling the truth but i'll be using it for other fundraisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

I will say this though, the people going door to door hate knocking as much as you all hate answering.

Ah fook that I didn't ask em to take the bleedin job and when someone calls to someone's humble abode or castle, I expect them to be civil and respectful and on the back foot and if not then they can do one.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭angeline

I have a policy of just not answering the door to them. If they want to waste their time by calling back again, no problem, I still won't answer. I hate the way they call at around 6pm when people are home from work and trying to eat. A fella called the last day and rang the doorbell followed immediately by two or three urgent knocks on the door thinking I'd jump out of my seat to answer the door...talk about cheek...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

Does anybody do the tea and hash cookies anymore or has the resession put an end to that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Whenever I end up answering the door to these people, I usually say that I've just sat down to dinner or lunch.
    I don't think I've had anybody persist after that. I think it forces them to be considerate.

Standard question for chuggers at your front door:

"It's the middle of the afternoon. I'm at home. I'm sitting around the house in my underwear drinking tea. WTF did you just see here that makes you think I have any money?"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Standard question for chuggers at your front door:

"It's the middle of the afternoon. I'm at home. I'm sitting around the house in my underwear drinking tea. WTF did you just see here that makes you think I have any money?"

Same thing every salesman sees: a potential customer than can be earned with a lot of bulls**t

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I had one of these guys threaten that a load of black kids would die if I didn't give him money.

Thought that was a bit hardcore; I never knew they employ such violent people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

myshirt wrote: »
    I had one of these guys threaten that a load of black kids would die if I didn't give him money.

Thought that was a bit hardcore; I never knew they employ such violent people.

if that happens again , just tell them that your racist and dont like blacks! would be funny just to see their reaction! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

I don't answer the door and If I do, usually it follows by a load of abuse.

No one disturbs me..

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mickyellow

I've had a number of missed calls on my mobile over the last number of weeks from a private number. I eventually answered one of these calls and it turns out that it's a company calling on behalf of certain hospital. I have a number of charities that I donate too however I'm not too keen on some third party company looking to contact me via my personal mobile number.

Is this against the law? Can a company potentially call you on your personal mobile number looking to fund raise?

The call appeared be genuine and they were looking for me to sell raffle tickets etc on their behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

Crea wrote: »
    Got a phone call from a charity fundraising. She asked if i'd heard of the work they were doing and I said yes as my brother worked for them. She thanked me and hung up and they've never phoned again. I was telling the truth but i'll be using it for other fundraisers.

I used that on a guy who called to the door the other night - It worked a dream :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

they called around one day some years ago, and I had them come into the house.. more out of curiosity on my part. They explained what they believed in etc and left me the Mormon bible with pages marked for me to read. They even said a parting prayer before they left the house.

A week later they returned and I told them I didn't believe in Creationism, which is what they believe in. So I ended up having a casual talk with them, and I got the truth out of them. For every so many people they get to sign up to their church, they get a reduction in college fees when the return to the US.

I didnt feel so bad about leading them on for my own amusement the previous week.

I had some call after a trip to Ikea. One constructed bed later and a good old chin wag I sent them on their way.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

hfallada wrote: »
    No SVP are a decent charity which help the poorest of the poor in Ireland and rely on volunteers. Unlike the most of those "charities" who pay their collected up to €17 per hour(seen it on one of the job sites). Like most of the chugger charities are BS.

Second that re V de P. In our area they just do a church collection on a particular Sunday along with places into which you can leave stuff at Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Syphonax

I thought this was a drinking thread, very disappointing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,296 ✭✭✭✭branie2

We usually have the Jehovah's Witnesses come to our door.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

branie2 wrote: »
    We usually have the Jehovah's Witnesses come to our door.

Come to the door wearing a Putin tshirt

Better yet, ask them to sign up to donate blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    My doorbell rang a few minutes ago, and I checked the camera I have on the intercom outside - wasn't someone I knew, and the person was carrying a clipboard so that was a bad sign straight away, decided not to answer and cast it out of my mind.

... only for the little clipboard fecker to come around to the side of my house where I could be seen watching TV and bang on the window with a "cheeky" grin, holding up the Plan International clipboard - I answered the door and informed him that if he ever knocked on my window again I'd break the clipboard over his head.

Where do they get off interfering with peoples space like that?

This happens to me often, but no need for violence. I usually just inform the butler to drive him to the end of our driveway, and if he refuses only then do I threaten to have him drowned in one of the fountains in the front garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

In fairness, even if you had given the required amount, the Paralympics crowd would still probably have gotten next to nothing.
    Would they not have a leg to stand on?

The older I get, the more Im of the attitude, that, if I don't personally know you, then you've no business calling to my door.

I dont want to save anyone/thing
    I dont want to change Electric/gas supplier
    I dont want your religion.

Same with leaflets. If I didn't call or phone to ask your company for one, then don't put one in my letterbox. I don't put crap in your letterbox.

NO JUNK MAil.
    NO EXCUSES.

(rant over)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Yea, it turns out that my doorbell in my apartment is broken but I haven't bothered asking the LL to fix it.. anyone I'd be expecting would call first anyway.

It's like answering unknown numbers on your phone - very rarely does anything good come of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Blast from the past in my estate last Saturday...
    A Transit van full of rugs and carpets with a 3 piece suite on top.
    Middle aged man and woman looking for "offers".

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tmabr

i usually tell the chugger that my mammy isn't home and im not allowed to talk to strangers while staring them deep into the eyes. im in my 40s

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Jake1 wrote: »
    We get the Mormons around here. Lovely boys, the possibilities of corrupting them are endless.

Leave a little pile of sex toys on the table beside the door.

They'll spot it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Merrilady wrote: »
    I used that on a guy who called to the door the other night - It worked a dream :D

I don't understand why people can't just be honest and say "not interested, thanks" and close the door/hang up the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Are these chuggers like the world cup/euros that they only come around every 4 years ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,296 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Maybe it isn't if you're inside the house

Advertisement