Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Door to door chugging

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭De Bellem

I am not as good as that but thanks Jack for the template.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭leinster_fan

We had one the other evening who rang the doorbell 3 times. W kept ignoring the bell, so he walked over and started peering in the living room window.

He could clearly see me and the o/h watching TV, so knocked on the window. We waved at him and turned back to the tv! he actually started banging on the window until o/h opened the door and told him where to go!

Cheeky beggars!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭BQQ

BQQ wrote: »
    Charity-muggers

The ones who accost you on the street looking for you to set up a direct debit to a charity, so they can earn commission.
    Jesus... Thats rather aggressive!:eek:

I didn't coin the phrase. I'm just explaining it for your benefit.

I'm not bothered. They're just trying to earn a few quid.
    Unless they start blocking my path or something. That's annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Had one around the other night for WWF - the wildlife fund. Told him I support an animal kennel at home (which I do) and he fe€ked off pretty quick. Probably best to just tell them you support a similar charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Jesus... Thats rather aggressive!:eek:

Mind me asking, do you live in Ireland?
    If so, I'm glad there's a corner of our fair isle these scumbags haven't infiltrated yet.

I have collected, on a voluntary basis, for a charity for years, and as the years pass and the more prevalent chugging becomes, the more people blank everyone shaking a bucket. And understandably so.
    Being paid to collect money for a charity is, in my opinion, against the rules.

I have very limited sympathy for the argument that they're only poor students who don't want to be there, as well.
    Some jobs are so ****ty you shouldn't do them- period. Have a bit of self-respect, maybe, and ask yourself is a few cans of dutch gold in the evening worth degrading yourself and making the average person's day more stressful and annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

JayRoc wrote: »
    Mind me asking, do you live in Ireland?
    If so, I'm glad there's a corner of our fair isle these scumbags haven't infiltrated yet.

I have collected, on a voluntary basis, for a charity for years, and as the years pass and the more prevalent chugging becomes, the more people blank everyone shaking a bucket. And understandably so.
    Being paid to collect money for a charity is, in my opinion, against the rules.

I have very limited sympathy for the argument that they're only poor students who don't want to be there, as well.
    Some jobs are so ****ty you shouldn't do them- period. Have a bit of self-respect, maybe, and ask yourself is a few cans of dutch gold in the evening worth degrading yourself and making the average person's day more stressful and annoying.
    I can understand your thoughts, but charities paying people is actually the most effective way for them to raise money. People that are signed up give for on average 5 years iirc, the company I used to work for had a policy of not signing up people under the age of 25, as people aged 18-25 normally stopped the DD within 6 months.

Also, you say some jobs are so shítty you wouldn't take them, well I'd never do that job again, but some people need to make ends meet. The students that work don't just do it for cans of Dutch, some actually need to make money to get through college, some want to go travelling and some have moved out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭JayRoc

THFC wrote: »
    I can understand your thoughts, but charities paying people is actually the most effective way for them to raise money. People that are signed up give for on average 5 years iirc, the company I used to work for had a policy of not signing up people under the age of 25, as people aged 18-25 normally stopped the DD within 6 months.

Also, you say some jobs are so shítty you wouldn't take them, well I'd never do that job again, but some people need to make ends meet. The students that work don't just do it for cans of Dutch, some actually need to make money to get through college, some want to go travelling and some have moved out.

Not to be a prick, but lots of people need to make ends meet.
    The fact that it's usually only students, not real people, chugging (or young foreigners, god love them...) gives one pause

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

We had one the other evening who rang the doorbell 3 times. W kept ignoring the bell, so he walked over and started peering in the living room window.

He could clearly see me and the o/h watching TV, so knocked on the window. We waved at him and turned back to the tv! he actually started banging on the window until o/h opened the door and told him where to go!

Cheeky beggars!
    that is outrageous carry on. I would have seriously lost it with that prick. a man's home is his castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

BQQ wrote: »
    I didn't coin the phrase. I'm just explaining it for your benefit.

I'm not bothered. They're just trying to earn a few quid.
    Unless they start blocking my path or something. That's annoying.

I know you didnt coin it;) I was merely referring to how these "charity workers" go about getting their charity. I know,times,are a little harder than before but that is ridiculous. That is something Ive not yet witnessed and hope not to either!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I had some girl call to my door about three weeks ago, from a well-known charity.

I opened the door and she didn't say hello. She just smiled broadly and said "Your flowers are lovely", gesturing towards the garden.
    I narrowed my eyes and said "Yes, they are."

Then she said "Have you seen the ads on TV about the troubles in Syria?

I said "No, I've had troubles of my own. Personal family troubles that require me to be at the bedside of a very sick family member. So sorry if I don't have time to sit at home all day watching ads on telly about the troubles in Syria."

She then replied "Oh wow, that's terrible. But yeah, the kids in Syria are really struggling.." to which I cut her off and said "I'm struggling too. Struggling to cope with the fact my family member might be on her way out."
    I also said to myself And I'm also struggling with the temptation to slam this door in your face.
    She then smiled and walked away.

I have also been receiving calls from a certain company (I won't name them) asking me to fundraise.
    I told them I couldn't at the moment, due to family problems. They said "No problem, we'll call again."

The next week they phone and said "Just calling to ask if you could fundraise for us."
    Wearily, I replied "No I'm sorry. Actually would you be able to take my name off your register or something? It's just I have a lot on and I haven't got time."

The lady agreed and said she would remove my name.

I got two calls today from the same people.

I mean, NO is fcuking no.
    I understand you have a job to do, but Jesus Christ stop harassing me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

It's because of people like this that we have stopped answering the door when the bell rings. If friends are calling round, they just text before hand or when they're outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

JayRoc wrote: »
    Not to be a prick, but lots of people need to make ends meet.
    The fact that it's usually only students, not real people, chugging (or young foreigners, god love them...) gives one pause
    Real people?? Yeah, you're definitely not a prick. Did you ever wonder why it's mainly students? The lack of jobs in this country, especially temporary, no experience needed jobs are scarce, to say the least. Is it not preferable to have people actually working rather than drawing social welfare? Or doing nothing for the summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Two of em called to me last week while I was in bed, came back a few hours later, and I said, not interested, about 2hrs later called again and after a few seconds and the look on my face, he said oh sorry didn't we just call earlier.

Why are they called chuggers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

I find the fastest way to get rid of them is to say you already have a direct debit for that particular charity.

I had a girl call two weeks ago chugging for concern I think it was and I said I was already set up. She asked how much for and I said I'm not sure, the amount that means its tax free and she said €24!! So I agreed and she then asked could I up it a bit!!!!!
    So I told her I had actually been considering cancelling as times are tight big I keep forgetting to cancel but seeing her has reminded me again so I'm just gonna cancel straight away and I thanked her for reminding me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Why are they called chuggers.

Charity Muggers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Am I the only one who read the title and thought this was something to do with a service providing handjobs door to door?.

Chugging just has that ring to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Pinesky

Jake1 wrote: »
    We get the Mormons around here. Lovely boys, the possibilities of corrupting them are endless.
    Tell them to come in and meet Joyce McKinney's daughter that'll learn them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Have the robberies happened while people have been at home?

People forcing their way in when the door is answered - a lot of elderly people live in the area, and my elderly mother lives in the house. It's unfortunate that it needs to be done, but it makes sense to take precautions

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

rubadub wrote: »
    I wonder if you could do a citizens arrest on them
    Only if it's a crime that can carry a sentence of 5 years or more.

you can get 10 years for pretending to be a charity - which means we should be jailing those scumbags collecting clothes.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2009/en/act/pub/0006/print.html
    Offence for unregistered charitable organisation to carry on activities in State.

41.— (1) Any person who—

(a) advertises on behalf of, or causes another person to advertise on behalf of, a charitable organisation that is not registered or deemed to be registered,

(b) invites, or causes another person to invite, members of the public to give money or property to a charitable organisation that is not registered or deemed to be registered, or

(c) accepts, or causes another person to accept, a gift of money or other property on behalf of a charitable organisation that is not registered or deemed to be registered,

shall be guilty of an offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Are you including the SVP as chuggers? I dont mind it when they call around twice a year for their set collections

Nah, set collections are fine - in fact I often try to give the likes of the SVP a few bob. But the chugger is a different, more pushy beast looking for a direct debt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

jarvis wrote: »
    I find the fastest way to get rid of them is to say you already have a direct debit for that particular charity.

I had a girl call two weeks ago chugging for concern I think it was and I said I was already set up. She asked how much for and I said I'm not sure, the amount that means its tax free and she said €24!! So I agreed and she then asked could I up it a bit!!!!!

I have heard as well that a lot of them will try to get you to reapply and up your donation by a small amount even if you already have a direct debit to them, because that way the person who called to your door is earning the commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

conja wrote: »
    I just answer the door wearing only boxers. I act like I am interested and try to keep him there as long as possible. The poor bastard desperately wants to get away but can't in fear he will lose a commission.

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

check out jobs.ie there's loads advertised with hourly rates starting at €12 ph
    here's one
    http://www.jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=1188805

That's usually how they draw you in. It's "expected" earnings. Though that's Ofxam so I'm not too sure how they work (it might actually be 12 quid an hour) but there's usually some sort of catch to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭janja

o1s1n wrote: »
    Got sick of this myself, so I stuck up a sign next to the door saying 'No sales/Charity/religion/Politics' - works a treat. Haven't had any of the annoying buggers calling by since.
    I did this myself 2 weeks ago , works a treat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Jake1 wrote: »
    I had a cheeky bastard knock about two weeks ago, with the offer of saving me money on some **** or other.

I said to him, ' no thanks, not interested, ' he went on again for a minute, I replied the same, not interested. Then he said to me ''You are not interested in saving money?'' I said' No, Im fckuing not, are you deaf, piss off'

I hated being rude, but when he started questioning me, I saw red.

i had the same a few weeks ago, when i said i wasnt interested he started having a go at me saying i must have 2 much money when im clearly not interested in switching to his company, felt like telling him to f**k of!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I sign all the direct debits for them. I just use the details from other charities :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Rod Serling

Got a job as a door to door chugger and quit my first day. It wasn't commission either, basic wage plus bonuses. It's soul destroying and I just wasn't cut out to ask people for money in this day and age. The worst of it though is you're given a pep talk and made to say brilliant lines like "Can you not spare x" and "It's only x a year". In fairness, it was just to do something straight out of college with no chance of a real job, same as most people doing it.

I will say this though, the people going door to door hate knocking as much as you all hate answering. Unfortunately no matter how rude you are to them, they have to be as forceful as possible trying to get you to sign up, if not their bosses will be ten times worse - wages deducted, forced to work extra hours or just straight out fired because there is always another desperate student or unemployed person ready to take the job.

Finally a tip if you really want the direct deposit ones to go away, they can't sign up people are are - unemployed, under 23 or don't have a bank account. So just go with either of those lies from the start and you're set, you don't even have to be needlessly rude to someone trying to make a living at a horrible job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Rod Serling

Not sure of the under 23 rule, but I believe the guy I was with said the unemployed are deemed "unreliable".

Advertisement