Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Door to door chugging

Options
  • 09-08-2013 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭

My doorbell rang a few minutes ago, and I checked the camera I have on the intercom outside - wasn't someone I knew, and the person was carrying a clipboard so that was a bad sign straight away, decided not to answer and cast it out of my mind.

... only for the little clipboard fecker to come around to the side of my house where I could be seen watching TV and bang on the window with a "cheeky" grin, holding up the Plan International clipboard - I answered the door and informed him that if he ever knocked on my window again I'd break the clipboard over his head.

Where do they get off interfering with peoples space like that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

The door to door chugging seems to be on the rise alright.
    I thought maybe it was just my estate for some reason.
    Irritating feckers anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    checked the camera I have on the intercom outside

Swanky!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

tin79 wrote: »
    Swanky!

Too many robberies in the area of late - made sense to put one in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Cant believe they've started this! I fuucking hate chuggers so much as it is, and that's just when they approach me on the street. The mood I'm in right now, I actually want a chugger to call to my house....

Too many robberies in the area of late - made sense to put one in

Yep seems like it would be useful. Can you put more than one screen in? In the bedroom maybe for late night callers?

• Advertisement

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Cant believe they've started this! I fuucking hate chuggers so much as it is, and that's just when they approach me on the street. The mood I'm in right now, I actually want a chugger to call to my house....

Jaysus dont say that. They will track down your IP and be on you like flies on sh*te

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Open the bedroom window and empty the contents of the chamber pot over them

I had a cheeky bastard knock about two weeks ago, with the offer of saving me money on some **** or other.

I said to him, ' no thanks, not interested, ' he went on again for a minute, I replied the same, not interested. Then he said to me ''You are not interested in saving money?'' I said' No, Im fckuing not, are you deaf, piss off'

I hated being rude, but when he started questioning me, I saw red.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 71 ✭✭Fratoue

Best way to handle chuggers very simple.

Print up a page saying something like wheelchairs for homeless blind crippled babies. What heartless monster wouldn't help them right?

Then put lines underneath it and tell the chuggers who come to your door you are collecting and would they be interested in buying a line and then you'll sign up to their thing. Politely inform them that lines are €250 each and you only take cash as you don't trust cheques. To make it a bit more believable fill out a few lines yourself. The stunned look on the face you get from them is priceless!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

What a d1ck. Should have kept his clipboard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Not so much chuggers but my door bell is going hell for leather all morning. First it was the postman, then it was some man (I thought was going to murder me) selling bags of potatoes and he had literally just left, and there was two Jehovah's banging on the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Not so much chuggers but my door bell is going hell for leather all morning. First it was the postman, then it was some man (I thought was going to murder me) selling bags of potatoes and he had literally just left, and there was two Jehovah's banging on the door.

Are you Bilbo Baggins?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

I just tell them I dont give my bank details to strangers. They make a percentage of anyone they sign up. Thats why they are so pushy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Its getting worse. Fellas who used to be annual callers are now appearing every 4 months or that. We had one guy here awhile back who wouldnt accept a cash donation and insisted on setting up a direct debit! The fúcking cheek.

We get the Mormons around here. Lovely boys, the possibilities of corrupting them are endless.

I think I'll offer the next chugger who approaches me 1c and when they query it I'll look at them and say, "didn't your mammy tell you that beggars can't be choosers?" lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

I'm in a fierce cranky mood today due to only three hours sleep. I hope I get someone knocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,555 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Got sick of this myself, so I stuck up a sign next to the door saying 'No sales/Charity/religion/Politics' - works a treat. Haven't had any of the annoying buggers calling by since.

Hey you know what everyone should start doing? Be really nice to them when they approach, listen to them parp on and on and on and then when it comes to giving them bank details just walk away. That way, we will be wasting their time, getting their hopes up and dashing them and...having fun doing it hahahha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

My favourite is when they have a minimum amount like the Paralympics people only taking at least 10 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭calanus

The door to door chuggers must be hand picked from the rabble on the street who are the most brazen and most irritating. I can't see how the terribly executed guilt trips and obfuscating the true investment they are trying to commit you to.

"Would you miss 1E a day sir?" .. Well yes I would because that would be 365E missed over the whole year!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,555 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

My favourite is when they have a minimum amount like the Paralympics people only taking at least 10 euro.

Hah! I had that happen once in a shop. There was a guy at the entrance to the shop and got me on the way out. Thought I'd throw him a few euro.

'Sorry, I can't take cash...but if you want to donate you can with a card'

'Okay then, I'll donate 4 euro'

'Sorry, minimum is 10 euro'

'Argh, I just wanted to give you a few euro which I have now right in my hand!!'

'Sorry, I'm not authorized to take it'

And the Paralympics received nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Legally they're not entitled to take cash, AFAIK. For obvious reasons.

Anyway, you'd probably be best off answering them the first time. When I was out on a day with them seeing what it was like, you'd get them calling around a second time in the evening if you didn't answer the first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

Jake1 wrote: »
    We get the Mormons around here. Lovely boys, the possibilities of corrupting them are endless.

they called around one day some years ago, and I had them come into the house.. more out of curiosity on my part. They explained what they believed in etc and left me the Mormon bible with pages marked for me to read. They even said a parting prayer before they left the house.

A week later they returned and I told them I didn't believe in Creationism, which is what they believe in. So I ended up having a casual talk with them, and I got the truth out of them. For every so many people they get to sign up to their church, they get a reduction in college fees when the return to the US.

I didnt feel so bad about leading them on for my own amusement the previous week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

o1s1n wrote: »

And the Paralympics received nothing.

In fairness, even if you had given the required amount, the Paralympics crowd would still probably have gotten next to nothing.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I was never a fan of charities but the moment they started to decide how much a month it was going to cost you, preferably by DD each month, i was put off them for ever.

And i really hope they will not come knocking on my door after a night of too few hours sleep and a big hangover. There would be murder

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

inforfun wrote: »
    I was never a fan of charities but the moment they started to decide how much a month it was going to cost you, preferably by DD each month, i was put off them for ever.

And i really hope they will not come knocking on my door after a night of too few hours sleep and a big hangover. There would be murder

That's not really the charities, though. It's a bit of payment towards the chuggers, their boss, their boss's boss and other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

Tuesday evening, we had the National Household Survey people. We are used to these as they are calling every 3 months (ours was one of the lucky houses picked). We didnt mind this woman as she was lovely, but she did stay 40 minutes. Next, we had the Jehovah Witnesses, my housemate ended up talking to him for 45 minutes, but simply because my housemate loves a good debate. Next, we had a girl from the World Wildlife Fund. She seemed nice at first as we listened to her talk to my housemate. After a few moments, he informed her that he already donates to the Red Cross, Barnardos and some other charity, and can't really give much more a month. She flipped! She started screaming at him "Don't you know there are only 6000 tigers left, and next year there will only be 3000?! Are you incapable of love? Do you want your kids growing up not knowing what tigers are?!" True, my housemate might have provoked her with the next line "Sure they will, there's plenty of photos", but he did not deserve the abuse he got. "YOU ARE KILLING THE TIGERS! DON'T YOU CARE?!!" She then realised she was getting nowhere and stormed off, and as he was closing the door she turned and shouted "I HOPE YOU FEEL REALLY BAD, COS YOU ARE A TERRIBLE PERSON!"

I don't know how he didn't flip. If that was me, I would have asked for her name/employee number, asked her if she was working on commission (they are required to advise you if you ask them) and ask her what she personally does to help the tigers! There is no point giving money to these charities unless the local government actually has procedures in place regarding catching and prosecuting poachers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Catphish

My doorbell rang a few minutes ago, and I checked the camera I have on the intercom outside - wasn't someone I knew, and the person was carrying a clipboard so that was a bad sign straight away, decided not to answer and cast it out of my mind.

... only for the little clipboard fecker to come around to the side of my house where I could be seen watching TV and bang on the window with a "cheeky" grin, holding up the Plan International clipboard - I answered the door and informed him that if he ever knocked on my window again I'd break the clipboard over his head.

Where do they get off interfering with peoples space like that?

What the fúck. I would have turned the air blue with the abuse I'd have roared at him. I suppose the tactic there is to embarrass people into coming to the door. What a brazen príck. He must enjoy living life on the edge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

Saw someone collecting for Mental Health Ireland today at a shopping centre. Was standing quietly by the exit. Was not shaking the box loudly or being in your face at all. First time in a long time where a collector wasnt like that or saying "Support the xxxxx" so I gave her a couple of euro. Felt nice to give out of my own free will on my terms to a cause I deemed worthy not some chugger, Ill never give to a chugger or a door collector, shower of cunts

Advertisement