Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superquinn to become SuperValu

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I've always thought the choice of colour scheme in SuperValu was a bit weird. I don't know why they picked that dark wine colour scheme. It's not very 'fresh' looking.

You sort of automatically associate supermarkets with blues, greens and yellows for some reason. I suppose it implies 'fresh food'.

TheBoffin wrote: »
    Thats something I have been pondering. The Superquinn stores that will become Supervalu stores soon, Are they going to be franchises with an independent operator or will Supervalue run the store themselves? Surely that will have an adverse impact on lets say an older smaller family run supervalu exists compared to a massive Superquinn store converted into a Supervalu

In Waterford for example I know I would prefer the Superquinn site over the existing Supervalu site as would probably the rest of the town considering its location and convenience.

I wouldn't think they'd sell them off in this climate. They're a big asset to have. I think they may directly own or have large shareholdings in some of the existing stores too.
    I don't think selling them off to independent franchises would make a lot of sense. Also, the stores have their own management teams. They're merging / removing the SQ head office from what I gather which would mostly be things like logistics and buyers etc.
    It wouldn't really make a lot of sense to retain two separate head offices as the whole point would have been to create synergies and use the scale of Musgraves to increase profits.

The teams on the ground in the individual stores are staying in place from what I've heard anyway.

So, the stores themselves shouldn't really be that big a deal to manage.

You also have to put it into context too, SuperQuinn's only 24 stores.
    Supervalu has 193 stores. They also have all the Centras, Londis in the UK (not here) and a few other brands. They've a reasonable size Spanish operation too and the wholesale / cash and carry business.

Superquinn's really only the size of a couple of large franchisees. It's not very big.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭TheBoffin

I wouldn't think they'd sell them off in this climate. They're a big asset to have.

Yea I agree, I would have thought it would make sense to maybe tender the premises to the nearby stores in the area to operate the converted superquinn store in a partnership with Musgrave/SV

My point being I cant see any fair way of creating a new store which has nothing to do with the existing ones given that It will most certainly take business from them while they pay their franchise fees.

I dont understand the situation currently so its very possible that this is the route they are going. Its just interesting from Waterford's perspective as the superquinn store is in a large area with good road access and has lidl, aldi and tesco nearby while the supervalu is in an old part of town and traffic is a nightmare and has an aldi nearby but inconvenient parking

I would suppose it depends on what makes business sense. If the bigger store's worth more to them than keeping a small franchisee happy, I would have my doubts that they'll do anything.

If you look at say Ballincollig which is a pretty big satellite town of Cork City (16,308 ppl). It had a SuperValu store in the centre of the town (quite large) and what was L&N Superstores at the edge of the town (also quite large). SuperValu absorbed L&N and the two stores co-exist as SuperValu totally independently of each other and within 1km of each other.

Dunnes has plenty of cases where it built new stores and kept the old ones open near by too.

With multiples, it's all about volume of sales so, if they aren't costing themselves huge money to keep a site open, they'll keep it open. You're trying to make a small % on lots of sales, not a big % on a small volume like smaller retailers might be doing. The whole aim is huge cash flow and small % margins.

You'd find they'd be far more worried about driving business to Dunnes or Tesco than seeing two stores of the same brand compete.

With multiples, it's all about volume of sales so, if they aren't costing themselves huge money to keep a site open, they'll keep it open.

Yea I agree. I think it will come down to sales volume and sustainability. Waterford was a similar story, the L&N was here then it became supervalu.

I wouldn't put Dunnes in the same comparison as they are not franchised.

I am familiar with the ballincollig setup, the same people that own the edge of town also operate the one here in Tramore.

• Advertisement

I would also guess it depends which location's making the parent most money too. I don't see them selling off stores they just purchased tbh, especially in this very flat climate where investors would find it hard to raise money to buy them. Banks aren't lending like they did at the peak of the boom.

You could equally see the other store opting to join a different group like EuroSpar or something if they saw it as a problem.

There are some large completely independent stores around too like Joyce's group of stores in Galway and they seem to do fine.

I guess only time will tell. First world problems for a friday morning :)

Yeah, true.

Although, in a way I'm glad Superquinn remained in Irish hands. SuperValu and Superquinn are often the places where a lot of smaller Irish artisan producers get their first bit of shelf space and a chance to test the market as they can end up on the shelf of a local store or local group.

It's not easy to get artisan products on to the shelves in some of the other supermarkets as they don't necessarily operate in that space at all.

Now if they'd just consider getting rid of that deep red / wine colour scheme, ensure the cakes are the same size as before and re-launch the historical masterpiece of charcuterie that is the 'Superquinn sausage' we'd all be happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

On the plus side, there's some new SuperValu branded products that are pretty good. I got some good steaks, cheese, bottled water (way cheaper than the brand names obv), and their "own brand" cereals aren't too bad - our house flies through a box of Special K in about two days, and their own brand ones are about half the price, so that's good. Own brand muesli wasn't bad either.

I don't eat sausages so that never really bothered me.

Sutton has a bakery which is not going to change, apparently. They still do the same cakes just in different boxes.

I prefer the branding of Superquinn (ie the name, logo, image, etc). But in fairness there's not really much can be done about it! ;)

I agree. I really dislike the SuperValue logo and image but quite liked the Superquinn one. I'm fine with the change over, think its great that is has been retained as an Irish company and I will continue to support it. I wish they could have kept the green, blue and black Superquinn logo or even theme. The red is too harsh or something. I can't quite put my finger on what it is that I dislike so much about the SuperValue logo and branding.

The two things I'd hate to see disappear from Superquinn/SuperValue are 1) the jam doghnuts. They are scrummy. It might actually be better for me if they did but I love them.
    2) the Superquinn pizzas. Not the ones you get made up at the counter but the ones that are thin based and are pre made and packed. In the Lucan branch they are to be found near the olives, deli, etc. The parma ham and sundried tomoato one is delicious.
    Again it might not be a bad thing for me if they disappeared but an indulgence once in a while isn't bad and thats my indulgence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭RahenyD5

I was in England recently, I have a feeling that Musgrave/Supervalu may be embarking on a mass expansion to try to compete with Tesco both in UK and IRL.

I bought a sandwich from Budgens in Oxford, I noticed the Budgens own brand products were being replaced by the Supervalu & Daily Basics labels which are identical as back home also I saw kimberley chocolates and Club rock shandy on sale for the first time in that store!

Maybe the UK Budgens stores are being rebranded as Supervalu merging with those in the North?

Could be why the Superquinn & non-Supervalu brands are being dumped in favour of Supervalu to make the name as big as Tesco if Musgrave wishes to expand outside Ireland?

• Advertisement

I bought a sandwich from Budgens in Oxford, I noticed the Budgens own brand products were being replaced by the Supervalu & Daily Basics labels which are identical as back home also I saw kimberley chocolates and Club rock shandy on sale for the first time in that store!

Considering that Budgens is a Musgrave brand my guess is that they have lots of back-stock that they are shifting via the various distribution chains to get it sold off quickly. Sometimes you see this in Irish stores (pound shops especially) where you might have e.g. morrisons own brand products.

A case of kimberley or rock shandy might sell faster in the UK market than the Irish one.

Just seen this on the Budgens site. It would appear that they are offering Supervalu products as a range. Pretty cool for the Irish in the UK

Musgraves have actually launched the SuperValu own-brand range and Daily Basics range in Budgens :

See : http://www.budgens.co.uk

http://www.budgens.co.uk/whats-in-store/supervalu
    http://www.budgens.co.uk/whats-in-store/daily-basics

SuperValu in España has a few SuperValu Ireland branded items too, not many though.. just stuff like tea.

I think their Budgens branding is much nicer than SuperValu though. It's way fresher and uses lots of greens.

Seems like Londis are selling Supervalu & DB products too, does this mean Centra & Daybreak will too? Jaysus, Supervalu are getting everywhere like Tesco...

They're all the same company anyway!

Then the Musgrave owned convenience stores may become something like "Supervalu Local" competing with "Tesco Express", more boring bland homogenisation which is a pity.

If this happens then l may go to Dunnes or Spar or Gala or Mace instead of Tesco or Supervalu for a change...

I forgot to add this in previous post,

Now that Superquinn will soon be no more, I guess Donnybrook Fair or M&S are the places to go if you want "posh nosh"

Now that Superquinn will soon be no more, I guess Donnybrook Fair or M&S are the places to go if you want "posh nosh"

Waterford has Ardkeen Stores for the posh nosh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭xXxkorixXx

TheBoffin wrote: »
    Waterford has Ardkeen Stores for the posh nosh
    a bit of a journey from raheny in fairness

Picked up Superquinn Sausages in SuperValu Glanmire!

They tasted pretty good grilled on a contact grill.

So perhaps all is not lost :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Picked up Superquinn Sausages in SuperValu Glanmire!

They tasted pretty good grilled on a contact grill.

So perhaps all is not lost :)
    Seen them for sale in Centra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

So when are they dumping the nice Superquinn brand? Must be soon.

SuperValu in Ballincollig in Cork added SuperScan.

So it could be a bit of a merging of ideas...

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭lionela

A major shopping chain in Dublin, with a population of over 1.25 million, is going to dramatically change and you don't think people will notice...? :rolleyes:

Superquinn in Walkinstown has had a revamp and it is the business.

If you have never been to the store.....well have a look.
    The Supervalue injection in this branch has made a massive difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Daqster

lionela wrote: »
    Superquinn in Walkinstown has had a revamp and it is the business.

Been shopping there weekly for around ten years and have to agree.

Only place local I can get me St Tola cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,044 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

road_high wrote: »
    So when are they dumping the nice Superquinn brand? Must be soon.

Next month but I think they are kerping the brand just for the sausages

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Was in the store earlier in Kilkenny and the Superquinn sign over the door is now just a plastic banner drapped over red. Signs around the store all Super value type now too. Store badly needs a good revamp too not just a name change.

They're doing big revamps, so I suppose it will happen in sequence as it's likely to be the same team of shop fitters doing the whole lot one by one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I've found the switchover fairly disappointing tbh. Several products I like have disappeared and items seem to go out of stock for days at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Sillysod

any idea if they are hiring a new part time staff in the new supervalu walkinstown?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

All stores have re-branded from today. Nice big white Supervalu signs on a red background just like the Cork colours. :D

Advertisement