Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superquinn to become SuperValu

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

road_high wrote: »
    Personally think myself SV is superior to Tesco. Same/more offers but also nice fresh food which is where Tesco fails dismally for me. In the past they were more like a convinience type store but have moved way more multiple mainstream in the past 15 years or so. Would pick Super Valu over Dunnes or Tesco any day of the week now.

SuperValu is superior to both Tesco and Dunnes. Tesco in particular is very poor when it comes to freshness.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Was in the new super valu (formally super quinn) in Kilkenny. Jeez the staff attitudes have changed quickly. Slow to help out, as gossiping with other staff members, then rude when asked for a hand on express checkout error.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

keith16 wrote: »
    eh not sure about that. Cramped store. Poor selection. Overpriced. The butcher is a shockingly poor service.

One of the most over-rated stores in the country tbh.

I've always loved it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

zetalambda wrote: »
    SuperValu is superior to both Tesco and Dunnes. Tesco in particular is very poor when it comes to freshness.

It always amazes me when people equate Tesco with quality, its pure muck.
    However while supervalu has some good products, overall it would be a c in the grade card for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭whatsthetime

road_high wrote: »
    Personally think myself SV is superior to Tesco. Same/more offers but also nice fresh food which is where Tesco fails dismally for me. In the past they were more like a convinience type store but have moved way more multiple mainstream in the past 15 years or so. Would pick Super Valu over Dunnes or Tesco any day of the week now.

I agree, Tesco stuff is always going off before the "Use by" date.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭RahenyD5

Aldi A+
    Lidl A-
    Superquinn B+
    M&S B+
    Supervalu B- for the better branches, C+/D+ for the not so better ones
    Dunnes D+
    Tesco D-
    Iceland E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

RahenyD5 wrote: »
    Aldi A+
    Lidl A-
    Superquinn B+
    M&S B+
    Supervalu B- for the better branches, C+/D+ for the not so better ones
    Dunnes D+
    Tesco D-
    Iceland E

Is that a chart of value for money. As if it's to do with food quality and taste then it's seriously flawed IMO. I have no issues with aldi or lidl but the only reason someone would shop there is to save money. The food is ok but not anywhere near supervalu, tesco, dunnes.

I know a few people who shop in aldi and lidl and they go on about how nice it is and it's not about saving money going there for them. It's bullish!t in my opinion the whole point of aldi and lidl is to save money deep down that's why people shop there for no other reason. It's just human nature to make out that you prefer shopping there. Which I don't have a problem with if I had to save money id be in there too but I wouldn't be going around telling everyone how great it is. It is a supermarket that's main priority is keeping prices low cost. I'm just talking about people in general I know who seem to blow the whole lidl aldi thing out of proportion not anyone on boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Bpmull wrote: »
    Is that a chart of value for money. As if it's to do with food quality and taste then it's seriously flawed IMO. I have no issues with aldi or lidl but the only reason someone would shop there is to save money. The food is ok but not anywhere near supervalu, tesco, dunnes.

I know a few people who shop in aldi and lidl and they go on about how nice it is and it's not about saving money going there for them. It's bullish!t in my opinion the whole point of aldi and lidl is to save money deep down that's why people shop there for no other reason. It's just human nature to make out that you prefer shopping there. Which I don't have a problem with if I had to save money id be in there too but I wouldn't be going around telling everyone how great it is. It is a supermarket that's main priority is keeping prices low cost. I'm just talking about people in general I know who seem to blow the whole lidl aldi thing out of proportion not anyone on boards.

Ironically the inverse is also true when claiming to avoid Aldi/Lidl, that is, to broadcast the fact that you are not the sort of person that needs to save money., even when, from my personal experience, the people in question probably need to :)

As for the quality, we just shop between all the stores (including Aldi) for different stuff plus a few wholesalers. To say completely across the board that all Aldi/Lidl food stuff is inferior is wrong.

anncoates wrote: »
    Ironically the inverse is also true when claiming to avoid Aldi/Lidl, that is, to broadcast the fact that you are not the sort of person that needs to save money., even when, from my personal experience, the people in question probably need to :)

As for the quality, we just shop between all the stores for different stuff plus a few wholesalers. To say completely across the board that all Aldi/Lidl food stuff is inferior is wrong.

I'm not trying knock aldi or lidl stores. I have tried them a few times and just didn't like there stuff in general. I'm not trying to broadcast that I don't need to save money either it's not about that. If I had liked their food I'd shop there no problem. I just think the main aims of aldi and lidl is too keep everything low cost and something has to give somewhere. They can't offer top class food for the lowest prices compared to all other supermarkets. If you were looking at aldi for example and considering the price you pay for what food you get you may consider it A class. But if your comparing there food to supervalu for example and not considering price whatsoever I don't know how people would choose Aldiss food as being nicer and better quality than supervalu that's across the board though. I'm sure certain things aldi lidl sell would be nicer but overall I think the likes of supervalu has nicer food.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,325 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I just think the main aims of aldi and lidl is too keep everything low cost and something has to give somewhere. They can't offer top class food for the lowest prices compared to all other supermarkets.
    What gives is the range they carry, not the quality of what they do carry.

Most of what we buy in Aldi is better or as good as what's on offer in the bigger supermarkets, at much better value. Tesco had to settle a few years ago with Aldi for making price comparisons when the tesco products were of poorer quality.

If you were that bothered about quality you wouldn't shop in supermarkets at all. It's delusional to think that quality is somehow better because you pay more in one supermarket compared to another, and vica versa.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

The biggest complaint I have about both SuperValu and Dunnes (i.e. the two main Irish branded supermarkets) is that they do not have anything approaching the kind of high quality ready-meals that you'd get in their British counterparts. Even Tesco has really upped its game in that regard in the last 5 years, probably been driven by competing with Waitrose and Sainsbury's in the UK more than M&S.

The ready meals are often "dinners" in the slap-up country farmer sense in both Dunnes and SuperValu and I think that the market has long since moved beyond that.

SuperValu definitely has a wider range of more artisan type products and interesting branded ready meals but the range is still quite limited compared to what you'd get in a major UK supermarket.

Tesco, particularly their Finest range, has some very good ready meals that could hold their own against M&S or Waitrose.

I think the Irish chains need to up their game in that area. I'd rather see people buying well-made healthy ready meals if they are going to be buying them than some of the muck that passes for convenience food in some of those stores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

zetalambda wrote: »

Supervalu is very hit and miss, some of them are simply awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Also its impossible to get good vegitarian food in dunnes or supper valu

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

wmpdd3 wrote: »

Have you tried looking in the fruit and vegetable section?

wmpdd3 wrote: »

The larger SuperValus aren't too bad in that regard, but Tesco does beat them (certainly the larger Tesco stores anyway).

Dunnes is just not great if you're looking for vegetarian products that are partially preprepared anyway.

Also, Tesco is very strong on "Free From" products relative to any of the other players here. Again, I think that's driven by their British market experience, not their Irish one as all the supermarkets over there take that very seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

How are you comparing quality?

Where Lidl are Aldi sale branded products it is cheaper than the same branded product in Tesco , Dunnes or Supervalu.

Lidl's fresh in store baked bread is nicer that anything in Tesco or Dunnes and only the Superquinn (now Supervalu) product would compete.

Fruit and vegetables etc are perfect in Lidl as well.

So please explain what quality you are on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Well conversely I don't shop in Aldi or Lidl because I simply can't stand either of them and yet when you tell people that it's like you've fcuking murdered their dear old Granny in cold blood. :confused: What is with that? Great that they have good quality stuff, bully for people who enjoy shopping in both of them but they're just not for me. I'd prefer to buy my meat in a butchers and go to other shops for different goods depending on my requirements at the time.

murpho999 wrote: »

People think that their economic class is defined by how much they spend (or are observed to spend) rather than trifling things like what they actually earn. Superquinn were quite masterful at exploiting this lower middle-class status insecurity about what others might think about your shopping basket.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Rocket19

People think that their economic class is defined by how much they spend (or are observed to spend) rather than trifling things like what they actually earn. Superquinn were quite masterful at exploiting this lower middle-class status insecurity about what others might think about your shopping basket.

Having wealth doesn't automatically make someone "high class", nor does being broke make you of "lower class".
    Class isn't just about what you earn; it's very multi-faceted, and based on a number of factors, such as education, environment, career choice, etc. Of course, earnings are a factor, but certainly not a defining one.

I think your shopping basket comment certainly applies to some, but not the majority. Most people couldn't give a hoot what others' purchases are, nor about others' perceptions/opinions of their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭Heroditas

We used to divide our shopping between the various places like Lidl, Superquinn and Tesco.
    They all had their positives and Superquinn used to stand out for some of the more "exotic" stuff and of course their bakery.
    However, since they went into receivership and then taken over by Musgrave's, I've found that the range of goods and selection has decreased markedly.
    As a result I rarely go there unless it's to pick up a few bits and pieces and we shop in Tesco and Lidl.
    To be honest I never found Super Value particularly cheap. Their model previously had been to corner the rural grocery trade in areas where Tesco etc wouldn't operate. They'll need to drop prices a bit more in my opinion or expand their selection if they want to differentiate themselves from Tesco.
    They're certainly a step up from Dunne's though.

• Advertisement

As I said I have nothing against aldi or lidl and it's great people like there stuff and if they like the food and save money it's a win win. As for someone else saying they sell the exact same brands they clearly don't; to name a few they don't sell any of the irish bread ie pats, Brennan's I think there brands are Northern Ireland again doesn't bother me, they don't sell Kellogg's it any familiar cereals, don't sell avonmore milk / diary products, all there yogurts cheese is weird brands not well known, don't sell hb ice cream, I prefer sv round rolls to there rolls, don't sell most of the common minerals. Really the only common brands I've seem in there is caburys and coke and both of them were the same price as any other supermarket. Anyway it's just my opinion clearly many of you all prefer lidl/ Aldis stuff to supervalu or dunnes I'm the other way that's just the way it is. It has nothing to do with money really I just don't like there food I've shopped there a few times over the years if I liked there food I would shop there.

Lidl/Aldi do sell *some* mainstream brands, although it's quite sporadic what they will stock. I'd assume it's some kind of discounted runs or something.

The rest of the brands aren't really 'weird brands'. They're Aldi and Lidl own brands. They basally have a range of in-store brands that they develop themselves.

They just make up in-store brands rather than calling them Aldi / Lidl.

I think though with all of the major supermarkets, the standards and store layouts and range varies enormously from store to store.

I wouldn't write off SuperValu based on one or two more 'basic' stores that you may have experienced in the past. Their good stores are excellent in general and the former Superquinn stores are owned by Musgraves outright and aren't franchisees so, they'll be managed quite differently in many respects.

I'm already seeing bits of Superquinn arriving in some of their higher end existing stores too like SuperScan is available now in at least one SuperValu in Cork with more planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

I like Avoca Shops, some nice food in there. I try to stay away from the main shops as all the cheap 2for1 offers on sweets etc would make me huge.

The girlfriend does all the boring shopping in any of the main shops except the German ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭greenpilot

A major shopping chain in Dublin, with a population of over 1.25 million, is going to dramatically change and you don't think people will notice...? :rolleyes:

The other 3 million of us outside the M50 wont, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

As I said I have nothing against aldi or lidl and it's great people like there stuff and if they like the food and save money it's a win win. As for someone else saying they sell the exact same brands they clearly don't; to name a few they don't sell any of the irish bread ie pats, Brennan's I think there brands are Northern Ireland again doesn't bother me, they don't sell Kellogg's it any familiar cereals, don't sell avonmore milk / diary products, all there yogurts cheese is weird brands not well known, don't sell hb ice cream, I prefer sv round rolls to there rolls, don't sell most of the common minerals. Really the only common brands I've seem in there is caburys and coke and both of them were the same price as any other supermarket. Anyway it's just my opinion clearly many of you all prefer lidl/ Aldis stuff to supervalu or dunnes I'm the other way that's just the way it is. It has nothing to do with money really I just don't like there food I've shopped there a few times over the years if I liked there food I would shop there.

Seriously, if you think Brennan's and Pat's Bread are quality Irish breads then you've lost the argument. They are very low quality and packed full of stuff that shouldn't be in it. Especially as bread over a few days old should not be real soft.

As for milk, I do not see any difference between what Avonmore offer and Lidl's range and even Supervalu's own range

They're industrial-grade sandwich breads in my opinion :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

murpho999 wrote: »
    How are you comparing quality?

Where Lidl are Aldi sale branded products it is cheaper than the same branded product in Tesco , Dunnes or Supervalu.

Lidl's fresh in store baked bread is nicer that anything in Tesco or Dunnes and only the Superquinn (now Supervalu) product would compete.

Fruit and vegetables etc are perfect in Lidl as well.

Don't forget the steaks!
    The steaks in Lidl are much better than the one from Supervalue and tesco in my opinion. Better price and much better quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Or maybe people liked their sausages.... they branded based on quality so they were a bit more expensive... I think you may be over-thinking it a little

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Or maybe people liked their sausages.... they branded based on quality so they were a bit more expensive... I think you may be over-thinking it a little

I liked sq food simple as. Enjoyed shopping there and the lovely fresh food you could buy. Flip all to do with social class or notions.

• Advertisement

they branded based on quality so they were a bit more expensive..

Getcha

Advertisement