Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Pubs in OZ - Dodging vomit and flying fists

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Stevie888 wrote: »
    No, when did I say I did?! I think you are confused. I said any trouble I have seen has almost always been caused by Irish people, not that I have met them all. That would be just stupid.
    A high proportion of Irish over in Oz are an absolute disgrace
    I'm going by what I saw first hand so no ignorance here

So again, I assume you've met the majority of Irish people in Australia to know this is true, first hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

So again, I assume you've met the majority of Irish people in Australia to know this is true, first hand.

You don't need to meet every single Irish person...even studies conducted and published in academic journals use sample groups.

It's great how people get so worked up about generalizations that could be about them. But then others are completely acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Stevie888

Come on your just being silly now. I've met at least a few hundred and have seen many more on nights out. Enough to have an informed opinion anyway.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    You don't need to meet every single Irish person...even studies conducted and published in academic journals use sample groups.

It's great how people get so worked up about generalizations that could be about them. But then others are completely acceptable.

He said he knew first hand that the majority of Irish people in Oz are a disgrace.

Sample groups has nothing to do with this, you can't judge 20,000 people off a group of 100, don't be silly.

The fact is, Steve doesn't know the majority of Irish people in Oz and has no idea if they are a disgrace or not, he's just talking hyperbolic nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

TheDoc wrote: »
    The fella who wrote the article was on Newstalk this morning,

Are you serious? I'm genuinely pissed off that this arsehole, because that's what he is, is being given publicity on the other side of the world :mad:

An absolute joker who makes a living out of trolling, I've explained more here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Not the first time Aussies have ran a story like this. Singling out one nationality is uncalled for imo.

"guests in our country" says the tv presenter, ha !! I'd say the "aussies" are guests of the Indigenous Australians wouldn't you?

It's all the brits fault anyways.

He said he knew first hand that the majority of Irish people in Oz are a disgrace.

Sample groups has nothing to do with this, you can't judge 20,000 people off a group of 100, don't be silly.

The fact is, Steve doesn't know the majority of Irish people in Oz and has no idea if they are a disgrace or not, he's just talking hyperbolic nonsense.

I don't think I ever said majority? I said high proportion, and I meant that in comparison with the other nationalities over there on the WHV.
    Do you need to know the majority of something to be able to have an opinion on it? Like I said, I've met at least a few hundred, and have seen many many more on nights out, Im also going on stories Ive heard from friends (not Irish or Australian), I think thats a good enough sized sample to have an informed opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Just read the full article there.

Would that be classed as Hatespeech over here?

I don't think I ever said majority? I said high proportion, and I meant that in comparison with the other nationalities over there on the WHV.
    Do you need to know the majority of something to be able to have an opinion on it? Like I said, I've met at least a few hundred, and have seen many many more on nights out, Im also going on stories Ive heard from friends (not Irish or Australian), I think thats a good enough sized sample to have an informed opinion.

High proportion, is the majority.

First hand doesn't include stories from friends either.

Obviously if you're going by the Irish you meet out drinking you're sample group is already tainted.

First hand doesn't include stories from friends either.

Obviously if you're going by the Irish you meet out drinking you're sample group is already tainted.

High proportion compared to the other backpackers. Understand?
    First hand AND stories from friends.
    Not just out drinking, living with in hostels etc. But explain to me, why is the sample group tainted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭josip

:eek:

josip wrote: »
    :eek:

Ah in fairness to him he seems a bit worked up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Firstly this is either poor trolling or undisguised bigotry. Either of which I've come to expect from a Murdoch publication, however I'm leaning towards the former in this case.

Pubs closing is not especially newsworthy, and isn't confined to the Irish establishments in Sydney. Given the soaring property prices, Sydney has been undergoing a period of gentrification for quite some time, previous no-go areas of the city are now inhabited by wealthy yuppies. Despite the reputation of Bondi for drunken Irish carry-on it's actually one of the more affluent suburbs of Sydney and most definitely less dangerous than nearby King's Cross or some areas in the Western Suburbs, neither of which are noted for an especially large population of Irish.

If I have one criticism of the Irish in Australia it's probably that they don't make enough of an effort to see the rest of the country outside of Sydney and Melbourne. I've travelled around the entire country (and seen more of it than most Aussies) and can count on one hand the amount of Irish I've met outside of the cities. One campsite owner in WA remarked that he rarely saw Irish backpackers in recent years, but mostly French, German or Italian - and this pretty much mirrored what I noted myself whilst travelling. I guess those groups, well the Germans anyway, have more disposable income to travel.

A partial reason for this is the nature of the Working Holiday Visa, which is designed to encourage holidaying (and by extension spending money) first and working second. To holiday (and spend money) you need work and employment can be subject to seasonal fluctuations outside the main urban centres. To an extent it's safer to base oneself in a major city when looking for work. The requirement for (88 days) regional and rural employment before a visa extension was one measure introduced to address this, but perhaps it doesn't go far enough. A complete ban on WHM visa holders working in the major cities might be one approach to disperse people (and spending) into a wider area of Australia.

In any case, the Australian govt are satisfied enough with the status quo, that is the vast majority of money earned by Irish backpackers is put back into the Aussie economy (and alcohol is as good a collection mechanism as any). Rather that than it being siphoned off to help their impoverished brothers and sisters back in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭justforlaugh

I see anthony sharwood been getting some abusive messages on twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I see anthony sharwood been getting some abusive messages on twitter

I was wondering when that would start.

Ah in fairness to him he seems a bit worked up :)

Worked up? Good one buddy,I'm not the one making up things to suit my agenda.

Also if you could attack the post and not the poster that'd be lovely.

CLINT.

• Site Banned Posts: 49 Francesco

I'm glad to be rid of some of the wasters that used to be here, but in another way, I'm sad for the countries they now pollute. What worries me is what happens when all these clown's visas expire ?

Worked up? Good one buddy,I'm not the one making up things to suit my agenda.

Also if you could attack the post and not the poster that'd be lovely.

CLINT.

And what agenda is that now? And what do you think I've made up? Curious as to why you seem to have taken such offence, I'm merely stating my experiences.

And what agenda is that now? And what do you think I've made up? Curious as to why you seem to have taken such offence, I'm merely stating my experiences.

Well you've clearly made up the fact that the high proportion of Irish people are a disgrace, as guess what, you don't know, nor have you met a "high proportion" of Irish people in Australia.

I don't particularly care about the subject, was just passing through the thread when I saw you spouting hyperbolic nonsense.

Well you've clearly made up the fact that the high proportion of Irish people are a disgrace, as guess what, you don't know, nor have you met a "high proportion" of Irish people in Australia.

I don't particularly care about the subject, was just passing through the thread when I saw you spouting hyperbolic nonsense.

Compared to the other nationalities over there on the work holiday visa, Irish people are by far the worst. I'm confident nearly all people who have been over there for any significant amount of time would agree. I'm basing my opinion on having lived over there for over 3 years an having met a lot of Irish people whilst there. I think that qualifies as an informed opinion. What are you basing your opinion on? Or do you have any basis at all for your arguments?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 49 Francesco

They gave us neighbours, so I guess it's our revenge to send them some of our wasters. Sorry Oz.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Bogota

I did a working holiday in Oz and I can say that the Irish are nothing short of complete disgraces over there. Obviously there's a lot of hard working Irish but of all the nationalities that you come across over there we are by far the worst.

Bogota wrote: »
    I did a working holiday in Oz and I can say that the Irish are nothing short of complete disgraces over there. Obviously there's a lot of hard working Irish but of all the nationalities that you come across over there we are by far the worst.

If your observations are accurate then that obviously means you spent most of your working holiday frequenting the same Oirish pubs in the same cities (Sydney/Melbourne) as the rest of the Irish WHMs you like to dismiss.

If you aren't part of the solution, what does that make you then?

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    If your observations are accurate then that obviously means you spent most of your working holiday frequenting the same Oirish pubs in the same cities (Sydney/Melbourne) as the rest of the Irish WHMs you like to dismiss.

If you aren't part of the solution, what does that make you then?

Why would you assume that it "obviously" means they spent most of their WHV in the **** hole Irish bars? Unfortunately the bad Irish you encounter over there go to other places aswel.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Luxie

She is a right character, jesus that would be a fairly depressing hangover for her later on
    Imagine the fear afterwards.

Why would you assume that it "obviously" means they spent most of their WHV in the **** hole Irish bars? Unfortunately the bad Irish you encounter over there go to other places aswel.
    Because if you believe that the worst troublemakers are the Irish then obviously you've spent your time surrounding yourself with only Irish. There's also an element of confirmation bias - we tend to notice and report on stories about Irish abroad over other nationalities.

That's not without getting into how the Australian media report on these stories. Sensationalism is par for the course over there, as seen by the attitudes to the relatively small numbers of illegal immigrants attempting entry by boat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Grandeeod wrote: »
    What do you all make of this. Stereotyping or has this Aussie got a point?

Blatant stereotyping because all Aussies are racists.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ive been there, and you Sir are talking through your proverbial hoop.

Everyone of your post gets more hoopey as it goes.

But keep going you are nearly there are maximum hoopage.

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Because if you believe that the worst troublemakers are the Irish then obviously you've spent your time surrounding yourself with only.

I tried to avoid the bad ones like the plague, but unfortunately it's not possible to avoid them completely, you run into them in hostels and backpacker nights. Your right you do spot them immediately, they are the ones wrecking everybody's head.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Isn't there a rise in hostility towards Irish people over there though, due to a high level of muppetry? A couple of places refusing Irish applicants?

Now I'm not in agreement with that, because it's not fair that all Irish people over there should be held accountable for the behaviour of some, but the hostility isn't coming from the fresh air.

Advertisement