Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Pubs in OZ - Dodging vomit and flying fists

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Stevie888

listermint wrote: »
    Ive been there, and you Sir are talking through your proverbial hoop.

Everyone of your post gets more hoopey as it goes.

But keep going you are nearly there are maximum hoopage.

Haha fair enough! Just going by what I saw!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Isn't there a rise in hostility towards Irish people over there though, due to a high level of muppetry? A couple of places refusing Irish applicants?

Now I'm not in agreement with that, because it's not fair that all Irish people over there should be held accountable for the behaviour of some, but the hostility isn't coming from the fresh air.

Someones nationality means what ?

Sure they didnt lick it off the ground is that it ?

Have you been to Australia, there is open racism in all walks of life. It comes across as acceptable very disgusting conversations ive witnessed and spoken out about there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

No I'd have thought it was due to a high level of anti-social messy behaviour among Irish people over there, not simply them being Irish.

No I'd have thought it was due to a high level of anti-social messy behaviour among Irish people over there, not simply them being Irish.

You'd be wrong.

Have you been to Australia, there is open racism in all walks of life. It comes across as acceptable very disgusting conversations ive witnessed and spoken out about there.

Very true, but what's that got to do with the Irish mupperty you see over there? Does that excuse it somehow?

• Advertisement

Stevie888 wrote: »
    Very true, but what's that got to do with the Irish mupperty you see over there? Does that excuse it somehow?

Ive been all over Australia, and bar the odd one or two bars in Metropolitan areas they irish cause no more trouble than any major busy bars here or in the UK or the states.

Its sadly not nationality dependent. So pin pointing the problem based on passport is ignorance to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,140 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

If I may come in here. I started this thread after reading the article. It was actually pointed out to me by a friend in Melbourne. I've never been to Australia, so I cannot comment on the reality. However I have noticed a few articles in the media about similar stuff.

All I can contribute to this thread now is that there appears to be clear problems in Australia with Irish immigrants. I don't want to get into all this "my friend told me" BS, but he's a family man and moved there 6 years ago, before the arse fell out of Ireland. Probably ahead of the posse of economic migrants.

He claims its mostly true and living there as an Irish person is becoming increasingly difficult as a result of utter madness from newly arrived Irish. Stories (and that's all they are) concern regular drunkeness and disruption with a very loud statements about being Irish and how "they had to move across the planet" due to bankers and Bertie Ahearn etc etc. That's what I'm hearing. How accurate it is, I don't really know. Sounds like they have a lot of anger built up and it all comes out in drink. Unfortunate.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    If I may come in here. I started this thread after reading the article. It was actually pointed out to me by a friend in Melbourne. I've never been to Australia, so I cannot comment on the reality. However I have noticed a few articles in the media about similar stuff.

All I can contribute to this thread now is that there appears to be clear problems in Australia with Irish immigrants. I don't want to get into all this "my friend told me" BS, but he's a family man and moved there 6 years ago, before the arse fell out of Ireland. Probably ahead of the posse of economic migrants.

He claims its mostly true and living there as an Irish person is becoming increasingly difficult as a result of utter madness from newly arrived Irish. Stories (and that's all they are) concern regular drunkeness and disruption with a very loud statements about being Irish and how "they had to move across the planet" due to bankers and Bertie Ahearn etc etc. That's what I'm hearing. How accurate it is, I don't really know. Sounds like they have a lot of anger built up and it all comes out in drink. Unfortunate.

melbourne is wet and cold why would anyone want to move there anyway :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Ive been all over Australia, and bar the odd one or two bars in Metropolitan areas they irish cause no more trouble than any major busy bars here or in the UK or the states.

Its sadly not nationality dependent. So pin pointing the problem based on passport is ignorance to say the least.
    What about nationality plus behaviour though? I don't think anyone reasonable is saying it's ok to pinpoint a problem on nationality alone.

Your experience is not seeing trouble from Irish people, but others have observed the opposite.

What about nationality plus behaviour though? I don't think anyone reasonable is saying it's ok to pinpoint a problem on nationality alone.

Your experience is not seeing trouble from Irish people, but others have observed the opposite.

it appears others are reading the papers.

In my experience the irish bars are popular because like coppers in dublin they are busy all week around. they attract all nationalities including locals looking for a laugh at a busy bar.

Have you been to a typical aussie bar.... lord they are poor.

So im not surprised the ire is being directed at irish people because they see white people coming out of a bar. More then likely based on numbers it could be ANY nationality so yeah i call it complete rubbish.

Usual racist trash newspaper headlines badly researched populist nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

True, in my experience a lot of Australians don't seem to like English(Poms), Greeks and italians(wogs), Aboriginals(Abbos), Lebonese(Lebbos), Vietnamese or chinese(chinks),Indonesions(Indos), then there's Safas, Kiwis, and so on etc. In fact I thought when I was there 09/10, they were respectful of Irish, bar of course crappy jokes about patatoes and 'tirty tree and a turd'.
    I think if you don't act and talk like a 'true blue aussie', it will be hard to be fully accepted regardless.

So im not surprised the ire is being directed at irish people because they see white people coming out of a bar. More then likely based on numbers it could be ANY nationality so yeah i call it complete rubbish.

Not when they have irish accents and are quite clearly Irish.This isn't just restricted to Irish bars by the way, I'm talking about hostels (where you live with them every day) and other bars aswel where you see this carry on. Why do you think there are certain hostels in Perth who now refuse to take Irish? And why (all be it, a very small, but not insignificant number of) landlords in Sydney and Melbourne have stopped taking them aswel? Because of the media?! Come on these places just want to make money like everyone else... it's because of previous bad experiences with them! Why is it that there are hardly any issues with other backpacker nationalities over there? Your trying to defend the indefensible here. We are slowly getting a bad reputation over there, which has been building over the last 3-4 years since we started going over in greater numbers. There is simply no denying that. Can I ask you, when were you over? And for how long? It sounds like you were either over before 2009 ish or else you were on a tourist visa travelling around the coasts, where thankfully the idiots don't make it to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭justforlaugh

Off topic but do some people actually know what racist mean?

A few Irish people do not suffer from racism in Australia...xenophobic maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Stevie888 wrote: »
    Not when they have irish accents and are quite clearly Irish.This isn't just restricted to Irish bars by the way, I'm talking about hostels (where you live with them every day) and other bars aswel where you see this carry on. Why do you think there are certain hostels in Perth who now refuse to take Irish? And why (all be it, a very small, but not insignificant number of) landlords in Sydney and Melbourne have stopped taking them aswel? Because of the media?! Come on these places just want to make money like everyone else... it's because of previous bad experiences with them! Why is it that there are hardly any issues with other backpacker nationalities over there? Your trying to defend the indefensible here. We are slowly getting a bad reputation over there, which has been building over the last 3-4 years since we started going over in greater numbers. There is simply no denying that. Can I ask you, when were you over? And for how long? It sounds like you were either over before 2009 ish or else you were on a tourist visa travelling around the coasts, where thankfully the idiots don't make it to.
    If you spend your time in Australia at "backpacker nights" organised by hostels, which encourage young people in their late teens/early twenties to drink heavily, I'm not surprised you see trouble. Unwittingly you are part of the same problem you like to bemoan.

I've never been refused accommodation, hostel or otherwise because of my nationality. Some landlords will refuse backpackers outright, but this is due to the inherent risk associated with taking a tenant who can only work at one job for a maximum 6 month period as well as their age and lack of an suitable guarantor. The only discrimination based on nationality I've seen is actually against the Chinese, given the reputation some have for living 10 to a room (mind you, you would too if you saw Sydney rent prices :eek:).

As I've pointed out many times the only reticence I've encountered in dealings with Australians has been due to my backpacker status and not my nationality. Understandable given some of their experiences, which ARE NOT limited to any one nationality. They tend to be slow to warm to strangers but once you put the head down and prove yourself a hard-worker I couldn't speak highly enough of how well I was looked after by Aussies

Rural Australians in agriculture suffer more than most from poor reliability from backpackers. On the flip side there are countless tales of seasonal workers being taken advantage of, ripped off, forced to work in unsafe conditions, etc. This is especially true in those farms which employ a subcontractor (or even sub-subcontractor!) or hostel to organise employment. Usually as a means to distance themselves from mistreatment of employees. (As an aside I'd recommend anyone looking for rural/seasonal work in Australia to try WWOOFing - you don't get paid but get food and board instead and you're not paying exorbitant hostel rates or wasting it drinking out of boredom. It's also a great way to actually get experience and interact with actual Aussies - rather than the same backpackers on the trail from Sydney to Cairns)
    We are slowly getting a bad reputation over there, which has been building over the last 3-4 years since we started going over in greater numbers.
    Actually the application/granted numbers have dropped slightly from 2008. It's probably more accurate to say we've remained in higher numbers since we take advantage of the second year visa more so than other countries.

As for "bad reputation" I don't think any nationality or ethnic group escapes criticism (deserved or otherwise) from the sensationalist tabloid Aussie press. Whether that's Lebanese in Western Sydney, Indians in Melbourne, Aboriginals, "boat people", etc. Unfortunately our propensity for self-flagellation means we take notice of it more than we should.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 22 sugar_fiend

speaking in tones about whats to be done with the dreadfull irish is an insufferable hangover from british rule

aussies deep down long to be respectabley English , kiwis the same

speaking in tones about whats to be done with the dreadfull irish is an insufferable hangover from British rule

Huh?!

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    If you spend your time in Australia at "backpacker nights" organised by hostels, which encourage young people in their late teens/early twenties to drink heavily, I'm not surprised you see trouble. Unwittingly you are part of the same problem you like to bemoan.

I've never been refused accommodation, hostel or otherwise because of my nationality. Some landlords will refuse backpackers outright, but this is due to the inherent risk associated with taking a tenant who can only work at one job for a maximum 6 month period as well as their age and lack of an suitable guarantor. The only discrimination based on nationality I've seen is actually against the Chinese, given the reputation some have for living 10 to a room (mind you, you would too if you saw Sydney rent prices :eek:).

As I've pointed out many times the only reticence I've encountered in dealings with Australians has been due to my backpacker status and not my nationality. Understandable given some of their experiences, which ARE NOT limited to any one nationality. They tend to be slow to warm to strangers but once you put the head down and prove yourself a hard-worker I couldn't speak highly enough of how well I was looked after by Aussies

Rural Australians in agriculture suffer more than most from poor reliability from backpackers. On the flip side there are countless tales of seasonal workers being taken advantage of, ripped off, forced to work in unsafe conditions, etc. This is especially true in those farms which employ a subcontractor (or even sub-subcontractor!) or hostel to organise employment. Usually as a means to distance themselves from mistreatment of employees. (As an aside I'd recommend anyone looking for rural/seasonal work in Australia to try WWOOFing - you don't get paid but get food and board instead and you're not paying exorbitant hostel rates or wasting it drinking out of boredom. It's also a great way to actually get experience and interact with actual Aussies - rather than the same backpackers on the trail from Sydney to Cairns)

Actually the application/granted numbers have dropped slightly from 2008. It's probably more accurate to say we've remained in higher numbers since we take advantage of the second year visa more so than other countries.

As for "bad reputation" I don't think any nationality or ethnic group escapes criticism (deserved or otherwise) from the sensationalist tabloid Aussie press. Whether that's Lebanese in Western Sydney, Indians in Melbourne, Aboriginals, "boat people", etc. Unfortunately our propensity for self-flagellation means we take notice of it more than we should.

As I've pointed out, I was not talking about Lebanese, Aboriginals etc. I was talking about people on the work holiday visa i.e. backpackers, which is essentially what the vast majority of Irish people are in Australia, just people on an extended holiday. Of this demographic of people i.e. backpackers (who are normally a friendly peaceful bunch) the Irish are by far and away the worst. I challenge anyone to name a worse group.

Also, The accommodation I was talking about was geared towards backpackers, but the landlords wouldn't take irish.

Advertisement