Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Pubs in OZ - Dodging vomit and flying fists

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Anyone who has travelled around Europe will realise the pure hypocrisy of this. I've been interrailing 3 times and it's very common to see Aussies making absolute fools of themselves, to at least the same degree as many Irish over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

There was no violence or drunkenness in Australia before the Irish started going over there a few years ago. Fact

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I blame Ned Kelly...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

This journalist is clearly on the way to a much deserved Pulitzer Prize!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

The level of idiocy and drunkenness is at Celtic tiger levels over there but to suggest that it is something alien to the Aussies is taking the urine. They can mix it with the best.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

That's a desperate article.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,034 ✭✭✭✭event

they dont actually slag irish people though, just irish bars.
    Which lets face it, are usually plastic shíte abroad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

traditional Irish delicacy - the kebab

What?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

In fairness you can't blame people for being upside down with drink when they get to Oz.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Ahhh, the Cock & Bull in Bondi, good memories! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Not the first time Aussies have ran a story like this. Singling out one nationality is uncalled for imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,140 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Not the first time Aussies have ran a story like this. Singling out one nationality is uncalled for imo.

I think we might be annoying them though as we tend to live there and aren't on holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

i watched that. the police and the mayor disagree that the pub they're ranting on about is a particular menace. It's really shoddy journalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Grandeeod wrote: »

Fixed that for you. Can't believe you didn't use that as a pun in a thread about drinking on After Hours. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭Corvo

Ship a few more over I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭circadian

This is the country that spawned Rupert Murdoch.
    I would scrutinise any sort of news report from there. I doubt it's a true reflection of the general populace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

He's just looking for a story and a few minutes of fame.

The worst pub experience I ever had was in an Australian pub in Vienna around Halloween a few years back. I still shiver when I think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

Is it now fashionable for journalists everywhere to write articles in the voice of old, prudish 70's sitcom characters?

That article was seriously tiring to read, what with all the forced hyperbole. You could imagine that the editor enforced some kind of joke quota on the hapless writers.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Stevie888

We are by far and away the worst behaved group on the work holiday visa though, some serious head wreckers over there pissing off the locals. Surprised it isn't a lot worse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Pang wrote: »
    He's just looking for a story and a few minutes of fame.

The worst pub experience I ever had was in an Australian pub in Vienna around Halloween a few years back. I still shiver when I think of it.

...go on....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭justforlaugh

i bet it mostly English people fighting each other in Irish pubs giving the Irish a bad name

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭Corvo

i bet it mostly English people fighting each other in Irish pubs giving the Irish a bad name

Yeah thats it.

<loses faith in humanity>

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

There was no violence or drunkenness in Australia before the Irish started going over there a few years ago. Fact
    This is totally true. Unfortunately, along with the Irish, the british also sent many other nationalities there as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

whinging pom...oh, no..wait. Hang on.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Elbaston

thought it was dogging.
    i am disappoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

From looking at the site it also says that Rolf Harris has been arrested for sexual offences.

He must have been exposing his didgeridoo in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

mikeym wrote: »
    From looking at the site it also says that Rolf Harris has been arrested for sexual offences.

He must have been exposing his didgeridoo in public.

To two little boys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

People in glass houses.....

I had the misfortune to end up in The Church (an Aussie haunt) in London one Sunday a few years back. I have never in all my life seen carry on like I did there, and at the Aussie bar we went on to later.

I can't even describe the unfunniness of the 'fun' being had by hammered Aussie backpackers at 4 O'Clock on a Sunday afternoon. It was mental!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,140 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

The Woolshed in Dublin and Cork can be a bit of a disgrace too! Did a few Rugby games in these haunts and they pissed on the street outside in broad daylight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭endacl

This was the first article linked from your post OP. Some quality journalism all right:

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/home-garden/dog-eats-paralysed-man8217s-testicle-while-he-sleeps/story-fngwib2y-1226689510173

As an aside, those two lads photographed don't look to be the .... 'fightiest'!

Advertisement