Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New season new Leinster chant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Molly is sang because it sounds good when a crowd get behind it, especially the chorus. That's it. Nothing about geography.

Think we should get a good chorus of 'Take her up to Monto' going tbh...

Would need someone with a loudspeaker though!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Think we should get a good chorus of 'Take her up to Monto' going tbh...

Would need someone with a loudspeaker though!

Ah yes, one of the greats. Where everyone knows the chorus and only about 2 or 3 people out of every hundred could actually give you a verse. It does have a good rhythm to it though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Molly Malone was written by a Scotsman so it was.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Molly Malone was written by a Scotsman so it was.

Aw here, leave ir ou'!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Derek Zoolander

exeter have the best by a long shot

which they robbed in turn from Florida state seminoles

http://youtu.be/-A7ll0xE5c0

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

molloyjh wrote: »
    And not to keep banging on about it, but Munster fans identify with a Connacht song written by a Leinster man purely based on it's rugby connections. Is there a reason Leinster fans can't do the same?

Eh? Rugby connections? Its got more connections with soccer than rugby! Its not about Connacht anyway (why would Celtic or London Irish be singing it if it was). The Fields suits Munster because its a neutral song that isn't identified with any particular club or county in Munster.

The Munster counties have some great songs which are never sang at Munster games purely for the reason that people from other counties don't idenfity with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

I'd be a big Luke Kelly / Dubliners fan, Monto is a great shout but probably a bit quick? In Toulouse in 2009 / whenever that was we'd a load of sing songs on the streets outside the Frog, Danu etc. not to mention at the match (we sadly lost)

The Auld Triangle, Rare old times, Rocky Road to Dublin, The Island (Paul Brady)

Needs to be slowish, Have a chorus the lyrically/musically challenged can sing along to

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Boycey2011

I think people are thinking about it too much. The song isn't about Dublin. It doesn't in any way make a point of differentiating Dublin people from anyone else. It's a song about a person who happened to be from Dublin.

I've often found during sing songs that people from all over the country "identify" with The Auld Triangle for example. A song about a criminal in a Dublin prison. I'm not sure I see the difference between that and Molly.

And not to keep banging on about it, but Munster fans identify with a Connacht song written by a Leinster man purely based on it's rugby connections. Is there a reason Leinster fans can't do the same?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jljZiUFkCcU

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Boycey2011

andrewdcs wrote: »
    I'd be a big Luke Kelly / Dubliners fan, Monto is a great shout but probably a bit quick? In Toulouse in 2009 / whenever that was we'd a load of sing songs on the streets outside the Frog, Danu etc. not to mention at the match (we sadly lost)

The Auld Triangle, Rare old times, Rocky Road to Dublin, The Island (Paul Brady)

Needs to be slowish, Have a chorus the lyrically/musically challenged can sing along to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jljZiUFkCcU

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,543 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

"Ah boom boom booom, let me hear you say Leinster... LEINSTERRRRRRR"

awec wrote: »
    "Ah boom boom booom, let me hear you say Leinster... LEINSTERRRRRRR"

Give this man a Leinster scarf and a megaphone!
    Boycey2011 wrote: »

My "go to" song when the singing starts. Top class.

Is there a Leinster twist we can put on this I wonder???

• Administrators Posts: 53,543 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ye could always put a slant on Molly:

In Dublins fair city...
    where the girls are so pretty...
    i first set my eyes on sweet molly malone..
    as she wheeled her wheelbarrow, through the streets broad and narrow...
    singing LEEEINNNNNNNSTTTTTERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR LEEEEINNNSSTTTEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRR

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

jm08 wrote: »
    Eh? Rugby connections? Its got more connections with soccer than rugby! Its not about Connacht anyway (why would Celtic or London Irish be singing it if it was). The Fields suits Munster because its a neutral song that isn't identified with any particular club or county in Munster.

The Munster counties have some great songs which are never sang at Munster games purely for the reason that people from other counties don't idenfity with them.

'Athenry's in Galway, Athenry's in Galway, Na, Na, Na, Na, Hey, Na, Na, Na, Na!'

Foxtrol wrote: »
    'Athenry's in Galway, Athenry's in Galway, Na, Na, Na, Na, Hey, Na, Na, Na, Na!'

That would be:

"Athenry's in Galway, Galway is in Leinster, Na-na-na-na......" ;)

That would be:

"Athenry's in Galway, Galway is in Leinster, Na-na-na-na......" ;)

Haha! Given the hurling, Leinster probably have a bigger claim to the Fields than Munster do. We have out new chant lads!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Foxtrol wrote: »

And do Glasgow & Celtic have to be in Galway for Celtic and London Irish for them to claim it?

Why was/is Molly Malone sang at Ireland rugby internationals?

jm08 wrote: »
    And do Glasgow & Celtic have to be in Galway for Celtic and London Irish for them to claim it?

Why was/is Molly Malone sang at Ireland rugby internationals?

Might want to ask the soccer forum that sort of question, I'd guess probably Irish song and the clubs have Irish connections and they make sense as they don't go up against a team from Galway/Connacht in any competition.

You seem to have problems with geography so I'll try to help you out, Molly Malone being sung at internationals makes as much sense as the Fields seeing as they're both about places in Ireland.

Munster singing the Fields makes no sense whatsoever and it's why the Connacht fans were/are trying to 'reclaim the fields'. If you want to bang on about it being a ‘neutral song’ then do you think Munster singing Molly Malone would make sense, as from my perspective it’s pretty much on par with them singing the Fields?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

fighting about gear first and now songs. Gotta love the off season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

fighting about gear first and now songs. Gotta love the off season
    THESE THINGS ARE IMPORTANT!!!!!

• Advertisement

Eponymous wrote: »
    THESE THINGS ARE IMPORTANT!!!!!

Jenno, Jenno.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

Jenno, Jenno.... ;)
    Still better than "I believe that we will win" :(

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Seanbass

Boycey2011 wrote: »

I would actually love to hear this sung at matches,. I find people (myself included)find it really hard to get into molly mallone to be honest.

plus it'd be a fantastic change from coybib!

Seanbass wrote: »
    I would actually love to hear this sung at matches,. I find people (myself included)find it really hard to get into molly mallone to be honest.

plus it'd be a fantastic change from coybib!

For as great a tune as The Auld Triangle is, it isn't really one that would work during a game.

Out of interest what's wrong with Molly that you can't get into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I want this sung at matches

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭finatron

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK4M3xYJoLk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Holy crap came across this while looking for a good song for ye lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

finatron wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK4M3xYJoLk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Holy crap came across this while looking for a good song for ye lads

Yep that's been mentioned a good bit above, branch tried to get it in a year or two ago, think I remember it being sung at a HEC game in the Aviva.

Not a bad tune, but again, if it's not organic, it won't work.

Yep that's been mentioned a good bit above, branch tried to get it in a year or two ago, think I remember it being sung at a HEC game in the Aviva.

Not a bad tune, but again, if it's not organic, it won't work.

its too contrived. It's a hard task to come up with a song for Leinster alot of county's with different tastes and backgrounds

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

finatron wrote: »

If Molly Malone is too Dublin, that's definitely too Wexford!

Molly is fine, leave her alone!

Advertisement