Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New season new Leinster chant

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I don't like it to be honest. It's very impressive in the video, but a crowd that size could shout anything in unison and it would sound impressive.

Do we need another chant? COYBIB and the simple Leinster work fine in my opinion. Although I do wish Molly Malone was sung more often.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Best chant I've ever heard was Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Jackman, Jackman, Jackman. It sung in the MacDonalds in Roscrea on the way home from a game against Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Boycey2011

Hagz wrote: »
    I don't like it to be honest. It's very impressive in the video, but a crowd that size could shout anything in unison and it would sound impressive.

Do we need another chant? COYBIB and the simple Leinster work fine in my opinion. Although I do wish Molly Malone was sung more often.

We could always use another chant in my view to help make the RDS even more intimidating. I bet 18,0000 people in the RDS could make it sound impressive.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Usually when there is a full house in the RDS it does sound impressive enough.

I don't think it would sound the same as Penn State. If you started it in the RDS it wouldn't be like "we are. Lein Ster!". It would be more like "we are Leeeeinsteer".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

I don't think it would sound the same as Penn State. If you started it in the RDS it wouldn't be like "we are. Lein Ster!". It would be more like "we are Leeeeinsteer".

"Len Sterr? Who's that?"

"we are LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENSSSSSSTTTTEEEEERRRRRR "

: D

19543261 wrote: »
    "Len Sterr? Who's that?"

I don't know but the crowd seems to chant it whenever Leo bangs his bodhran.

Yeah I think it would have to be We are Lein Ster.

It would be class in the RDS / Aviva.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Boycey2011 wrote: »
    We could always use another chant in my view to help make the RDS even more intimidating. I bet 18,0000 people in the RDS could make it sound impressive.

Sweet so the overnight secret redevelopment was a success so :p

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Thekidneybean

I liked "ONE MORE YEAR!!!" at the Biarritz game :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭scatman carruthers

Rugby chants are and always will be terrible. There's no imagination to any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Dr.Evil

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH65jS-EseQ

All those American chants seem to sound impressive purely because of crowd sound..

Dr.Evil wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.coio m/watch?v=YH65jS-EseQ

All those American chants seem to sound impressive purely because of crowd sound..

I think the age profile and alcohol consumption definitely helps. They're certainly passionate. Check this out for an entrance..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S01N5PyPYfg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Contrived chants don't work.

danthefan wrote: »

Agreed if the branch came up with it. But there's no harm in suggesting new chants for discussion from fans. There's nothing contrived about that. "One more year" was discussed at length over on babbling brook before it was used at the RDS. These forums are the ideal place for discussing any and all ideas on cheering on the lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I don't recall it being discussed at length but perhaps I'm wrong. It happened organically and was taken up as it was a perfect moment for it. A chant will not happen if it's fabricated. I don't think this chant will particularly capture much imagination either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

danthefan wrote: »

Agreed - it seems very Saracens thing to do

Nothing wrong though with gang trying to get a new chant going - if it is good it will spread through the stand/terraces

Remember connacht fans singing "Tindell tosses midgets" when we played Gloucster :D

Plus the "We are TEAM X" isn't unique marketing strategy to Leinster
    S18400-xlimage-R3840-sooialo-signs-for-connacht.JPG

"A chant will not happen if it's fabricated. I don't think this chant will particularly capture much imagination either."

Sure it would. They do in every country, where fans in supporters clubs come up with new chants and organise to get them going at games. Soccer, baseball, NFL, Ice hockey, AFL you name it. That's the same old tired limiting belief that infects peoples attitudes here. As for this chant potentially not capturing peoples imagination. It may not, but it's good to keep adding to the discussion on this in my view. God forbid we came up with something new.

Those places have completely different cultures to Irish society. A chant like the suggested one won't be taken up because, culturally, we are more used to singing at games rather than repetition. This particular chant is at odds with the typical Irish songs and chants. It's not a criticism of suggesting something, it's just the truth.

Similar efforts have been made before and it has never taken off. We are a cynical population. Tell people to chant something and try and organise it and it's far more likely to have people mercilessly take the p*ss out of it rather than think "Great idea".

It's funny because at school level the kids chant religiously.

• Advertisement

Buer wrote: »
    Those places have completely different cultures to Irish society. A chant like the suggested one won't be taken up because, culturally, we are more used to singing at games rather than repetition. This particular chant is at odds with the typical Irish songs and chants. It's not a criticism of suggesting something, it's just the truth.

Similar efforts have been made before and it has never taken off. We are a cynical population. Tell people to chant something and try and organise it and it's far more likely to have people mercilessly take the p*ss out of it rather than think "Great idea".

What about stand up for the Ulster men ? 5 words works very well for the Ulster supporters. It's pretty repetitive and works pretty well.

Isn't COYBIB a chant that works pretty well and is repetitive.

"Similar efforts have been made before and it has never taken off" Like what ? I've no memory of anything other than Leinster's Glory which was a song that nobody liked.

To be honest I've no time for cynicism. It shouldn't stop people from suggesting or trying something new.

It's funny because at school level the kids chant religiously.

Absolutely

Boycey2011 wrote: »
    What about stand up for the Ulster men ? 5 words works very well for the Ulster supporters. It's pretty repetitive and works pretty well.

Isn't COYBIB a chant that works pretty well and is repetitive.

"Similar efforts have been made before and it has never taken off" Like what ? I've no memory of anything other than Leinster's Glory which was a song that nobody liked.

To be honest I've no time for cynicism. It shouldn't stop people from suggesting or trying something new.

They are songs with a tune that catch on and go through a song pattern. This is a three word mantra that is repeated ad infinitum with no tune. Not comparable whatsoever. The only chant that is comparable is the slow "Leinster/Ulster/Munster/Gloucester" chant which has been around rugby for a long, long time and calling out the name of your team has always been practiced.

LF forum has had several threads in the past by people with similar ideas. Leinster's Glory didn't catch on because it was something that the branch tried to force on the supporters and people cringed, waiting for it to finish.

If a chant is good, it will catch on and people will sing it.

Buer wrote: »
    They are songs with a tune that catch on and go through a song pattern. This is a three word mantra that is repeated ad infinitum with no tune. Not comparable whatsoever. The only chant that is comparable is the slow "Leinster/Ulster/Munster/Gloucester" chant which has been around rugby for a long, long time and calling out the name of your team has always been practiced.

LF forum has had several threads in the past by people with similar ideas. Leinster's Glory didn't catch on because it was something that the branch tried to force on the supporters and people cringed, waiting for it to finish.

If a chant is good, it will catch on and people will sing it.

We'll have to agree to disagree on how comparable they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

One of the best chants/pieces of atmosphere I've ever experienced was the 'Stand up for the boys in blue' in Embra in '09.

Was spine tingling stuff, and sporadic rather than planned.

'Planned' atmosphere doesn't work.

One of the best chants/pieces of atmosphere I've ever experienced was the 'Stand up for the boys in blue' in Embra in '09.

Was spine tingling stuff.

It was an awesome moment. I was entirely engrossed in the game and didn't notice it until I looked up and saw the entire stadium on its feet, singing at the top of their voices.

Yep I remember we sang it in Bordeaux last year in the SF. We could do with more of it.

• Administrators Posts: 53,553 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Dr.Evil wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH65jS-EseQ

That's bloody awful.

"I believe that we will win". What a terrible chant. Pass me the sick bucket.

It's simply a different mindset and background in the U.S.

A chant like that would be laughed out of it in Ireland but they buy into it lock, stock over there. Their patriotism, parochialism etc. is fairly unwavering and unquestioned. Their lack of cynicism is simultaneously one of the most endearing qualities of the American people and one of their biggest weaknesses.

Chants like that have no tradition or history in Ireland and, accordingly, do not catch on. Also, we prefer to sing as opposed to chant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Advertisement