Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New season new Leinster chant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Hagz wrote: »
    It's funny because at school level the kids chant religiously.

Back in my day you ran the risk of a slap from one of the older kids if you were caught not chanting/singing!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Hagz wrote: »
    It's funny because at school level the kids chant religiously.

I just can't shake this image of young kids dressed as Gregorian monks. I'm sure that's not what you meant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Heroditas wrote: »
    Back in my day you ran the risk of a slap from one of the older kids if you were caught not chanting/singing!!

Still the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ulster_Beef

Rugby chants are and always will be terrible. There's no imagination to any of them.

You mustnt have heard too many

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

The whole chant/song thing is a tough one. Buer mentioned our cynicism earlier and he's right. Sure I've been guilty of that on more than one occasion myself. But you need to get something that everyone buys into. Look at French sides. They generally sing the same stuff regardless of team ("<insert team name here> Allez, Allez, Allez" or the "If you're not jumping then you're not from <insert team name here>".) They are simple, they aren't original to any 1 team but everyone does them. And that's what makes it.

In Ireland we do seem to prefer songs to chants. Maybe that's because we're pretty crap at chants, maybe it's because we genuinely prefer songs. It's not like we can sing "Come on Leinster, come on, come on, come on" (although singing "If you're not jumping then you're not from Lein-ster" does actually work in English :D). And Molly doesn't have the same rousing effect that Fields has, even though it can sound really well when the everyone in the stadium gets into it.

But I think the biggest issue is the fact that it's so hard to get everyone on the same page. A divided terrace doesn't help because one side can't hear what the other side are doing. At least on a full length terrace a good song/chant can spread naturally along it. And a lot of the singing and chanting from elsewhere in the stadium gets lost because it's not a closed stadium, i.e. the open corners etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Truly it's hard to find a more intimidating place than a big game in the RDS, with the opposition taking a line out in front of the terrace beside where the players come out from and the crowd shouting 'Allez le bleu'.

It's not more chants that we need, it is more people shouting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Molly MALONE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Molly is a Dublin chant not a Leinster one. If you wanna push the twelve county army bit Molly should be consigned back to Moore St of the Hill

(and yes I know that Fields isnt even a Munster song, but there ya go it works)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Boycey2011

Molly is a Dublin chant not a Leinster one. If you wanna push the twelve county army bit Molly should be consigned back to Moore St of the Hill

Spot on.

"Sports teams develop a faithful and fanatical following [FONT=Georgia,Georgia][FONT=Georgia,Georgia]primarily due to high levels of identification[/FONT][/FONT]."

(Team Sports Marketing Professor Kirk L Wakefield)

Nobody outside Dublin identifies with Molly Malone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Boycey2011 wrote: »
    Spot on.

"Sports teams develop a faithful and fanatical following [FONT=Georgia,Georgia][FONT=Georgia,Georgia]primarily due to high levels of identification[/FONT][/FONT]."

I do.
    Think you're reading a little too much into that tbh.
    Can't beat a few bars of Molly during a game, plus there's no all Leinster song I can thing of that would fit the bill.

In fairness, 'Leinster's Glory' wasn't the worst I've ever heard. Though they did get those faux opera planks in to sing it in the Aviva a few times which didn't help iirc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Molly Malone is the traditional Irish rugby song sung at Irish games going back decades; it has become rarer in the past decade but right up until ten years ago it was a regular and very vocal feature of Irish rugby games. It has been sung multiple times by Leinster support particularly on away trips by fans from all counties.
    "Sports teams develop a faithful and fanatical following primarily due to high levels of identification."

Is there not a contradiction in posting this whilst advocating a concentrated effort to use cheering tactics that are foreign to Irish society such as using announcers to begin chants and cheerleaders?

Buer wrote: »
    Molly Malone is the traditional Irish rugby song sung at Irish games going back decades; it has become rarer in the past decade but right up until ten years ago it was a regular and very vocal feature of Irish rugby games. It has been sung multiple times by Leinster support particularly on away trips by fans from all counties.

Is there not a contradiction in posting this whilst advocating a concentrated effort to use cheering tactics that are foreign to Irish society such as using announcers to begin chants and cheerleaders?

Not at all.

COYBIB and Allez Les Bleu work fine which are both chants. All I am suggesting is adding another simple one to the list. I don't think We Are Leinster chanted just like we are Penn state is a cultural leap by any stretch.

As for Molly, I agree it was popular with traditional rugby supporters an anthem in the past but since the popularity of the game has exploded in the professional era and Munster nicked The Fields the new Leinster non Dublin supportes don't identify with it. Nobody sings it at games. It's very rare I hear it in the RDS. I suspect there's plenty of Dublin Leinster fans (this one included) that wouldn't be big fans.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

exeter have the best by a long shot

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

As for Molly, I agree it was popular with traditional rugby supporters an anthem in the past but since the popularity of the game has exploded in the professional era and Munster nicked The Fields the new Leinster non Dublin supportes don't identify with it. Nobody sings it at games. It's very rare I hear it in the RDS. I suspect there's plenty of Dublin Leinster fans (this one included) that wouldn't be big fans.

I'd assosiate it too much with Temple Bar pubs over a rugby game tbh, wouldnt be mad on it

I do.
    Think you're reading a little too much into that tbh.
    Can't beat a few bars of Molly during a game, plus there's no all Leinster song I can thing of that would fit the bill.

In fairness, 'Leinster's Glory' wasn't the worst I've ever heard. Though they did get those faux opera planks in to sing it in the Aviva a few times which didn't help iirc.

That's strange I almost never hear it at games in the RDS, so it can't just be that wouldn'y be fans of it. I think many new Leinster Rugby fans not from Dublin would tell you they don't identify with Molly as a Leinster anthem.

So you are happy to accept Fields despite not being a Munster song, but you're not happy to accept Molly because it's from too specific a part of Leinster? :confused:
    That's strange I almost never hear it at games in the RDS, so it can't just be that wouldn'y be fans of it. I think many new Leinster Rugby fans not from Dublin would tell you they don't identify with Molly as a Leinster anthem.

I'm not sure how you don't hear Molly. It's sung on the terrace at pretty much every game (although it tends to be sung at a pitch a tad high for the deep throats among us!). I can't imagine many new fans can identify anything as a Leinster anthem, because they're new. Refusing to accept what has been sung for years, and still is sung, is bound to lead to a quieter stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

molloyjh wrote: »
    So you are happy to accept Fields despite not being a Munster song, but you're not happy to accept Molly because it's from too specific a part of Leinster? :confused:

I'm not sure how you don't hear Molly. It's sung on the terrace at pretty much every game (although it tends to be sung at a pitch a tad high for the deep throats among us!). I can't imagine many new fans can identify anything as a Leinster anthem, because they're new. Refusing to accept what has been sung for years, and still is sung, is bound to lead to a quieter stadium.

This is precisely why the fields works well for Munster. Limerick fans don't want to sing the Rose of Tralee, ditto Kerry fans singing the Banks of my own Lovely Lee. There are plenty of rugby songs sung at club level in Munster (The Isle for instance) but these don't cross over to the province for the same reason......

• Administrators Posts: 53,543 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

IM BLUE DA BA DEE DA BA DAI.

It'll work. Honestly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

awec wrote: »

It'll work. Honestly.

I'm ashamed to say I quite like that song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

awec wrote: »

It'll work. Honestly.

YES!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,543 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You have to sing the actual wordy bits too.

"I have a blue house with a blue window...."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Blue is the colour of all that I weeeaairr

molloyjh wrote: »

I'm not sure how you don't hear Molly. It's sung on the terrace at pretty much every game (although it tends to be sung at a pitch a tad high for the deep throats among us!). I can't imagine many new fans can identify anything as a Leinster anthem, because they're new. Refusing to accept what has been sung for years, and still is sung, is bound to lead to a quieter stadium.[/QUOTE

That is strange I genuinely very rarely hear it, and my season ticket was in the Anglesea stand up until last season.

Benny Cake wrote: »
    This is precisely why the fields works well for Munster. Limerick fans don't want to sing the Rose of Tralee, ditto Kerry fans singing the Banks of my own Lovely Lee. There are plenty of rugby songs sung at club level in Munster (The Isle for instance) but these don't cross over to the province for the same reason......

I'm pretty sure Fields was picked up because of it's association with Irish rugby, and not because of anything to do with the Rose of Tralee!
    That is strange I genuinely very rarely hear it, and my season ticket was in the Anglesea stand up until last season.

That could be because it's being sung directly below you. I'd say it can be hard to make out what is being "sung" (and I use that term liberally here) then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

It should also be pointed out that Molly Malone is a song about a dead syphilitic hooker. Other than the Dublin association, it doesnt really have a lot of charm.

But this aside, my main point is its exclusionary nature.

SHould point out I'm a dub born and rared

• Registered Users Posts: 13 BatterUp

Don't think that chant would catch on and to be honest my personal opinion is that it's cringe worthy and not original.

different sport and has started to be overused by certain teams but this chant is unreal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=makLoWvLtMQ

Come up with something like that and then you've got an atmosphere!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Spot on.

Inside dublin, must say I dont identify with it much meself,

It should also be pointed out that Molly Malone is a song about a dead syphilitic hooker. Other than the Dublin association, it doesnt really have a lot of charm.

Totally agree. As am I a Dubliner and have played and supported the game all my life.

BatterUp wrote: »
    Don't think that chant would catch on and to be honest my personal opinion is that it's cringe worthy and not original.

different sport and has started to be overused by certain teams but this chant is unreal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=makLoWvLtMQ

Come up with something like that and then you've got an atmosphere!!

Sounds great but not sure it's family friendly : )

• Advertisement

I think people are thinking about it too much. The song isn't about Dublin. It doesn't in any way make a point of differentiating Dublin people from anyone else. It's a song about a person who happened to be from Dublin.

I've often found during sing songs that people from all over the country "identify" with The Auld Triangle for example. A song about a criminal in a Dublin prison. I'm not sure I see the difference between that and Molly.

And not to keep banging on about it, but Munster fans identify with a Connacht song written by a Leinster man purely based on it's rugby connections. Is there a reason Leinster fans can't do the same?

Advertisement