Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russian lawmaker: Women should get time off from work during menstruation!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

Duvet days, work from home options???
    I'd really love someone to try tell my company which is a 24/7 company, that we should be alowed duvet days.
    Maybe i'll try that Christmas day, and then wait for my p45

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

It's not possible with every business but it is for many. I don't see the problem with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

It's not possible for most jobs I would imagine...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Ciarabear wrote: »
    Utter nonsense. Women are doing themselves a disservice if they plead equality for all in one breath and seek special treatment in the next

Yes, but we are not equal (equality between the genders is used in terms of discussing rights), sometimes I think women need to relax the equality issue, we are nearly afraid to express ourselves as women or ask for anything relating to our gender as women. We are not equal bodies, we experience periods and men don't.

If we knew the opposite sex were bleeding for five days of the month, with some experienceing it worse than others, including having pain, would we feel sympathy for them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yes, but we are not equal (equality between the genders is used in terms of discussing rights), sometimes I think women need to relax the equality issue, we are nearly afraid to express ourselves as women or ask for anything relating to our gender as women. We are not equal bodies, we experience periods and men don't.

If we knew the opposite sex were bleeding for five days of the month, with some experienceing it worse than others, including having pain, would we feel sympathy for them?

No, of course not. If someone is experiencing health issues like recurring pain, for any reason... then they should get themselves to a doctor and get it treated. If they are not doing so, then no sympathy or special treatment is deserved.

When I was injured at work I took sick leave (because I physically couldn't work). However I had to prove I was attending a doctor and getting medical treatment. If I was faffing about at home, lying in bed and drinking tea rather than making some effort to aid the recovery, I don't think sick leave would have been forthcoming.

• Advertisement

Ciarabear wrote: »
    Utter nonsense. Women are doing themselves a disservice if they plead equality for all in one breath and seek special treatment in the next

Yesterday, I couldn't have agreed more. It's an absolutely discriminatory idea and one that can't even be said to be needed or wanted by the majority of women, including myself, 95% + of the time.

But today, as the barbed wire tightens around my hips and the nausea waves over me and I type this through half closed eyes, it seems like a very good idea. :o

But I still couldn't support it, even in this condition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Wow. If you thought that HR departments were reluctant about hiring women because there was a danger that they'll start and/or prioritize a family, wait till you see how they'd react to hiring candidates who'll legally work five working weeks a year less than their male counterparts.

Wow. If you thought that HR departments were reluctant about hiring women because there was a danger that they'll start and/or prioritize a family, wait till you see how they'd react to hiring candidates who'll legally work five working weeks a year less than their male counterparts.

I don't think any of us believes there's any real danger of that proposal (or similar) becoming a reality, and few would genuinely want it to.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Candie wrote: »
    I don't think any of us believes there's any real danger of that proposal (or similar) becoming a reality, and few would genuinely want it to.

Of course not, it was an "ill-conceived" proposal by an extreme idiot judging by the comments reported here.

It would (I should hope) never gain traction in any country. Aside from being grossly unfair to men to give women an inordinate amount of extra leave just for having a uterus, it would also kill the careers of many women who would be seen as less useful or up to the job if they were to be missing, or potentially missing from the work place for up to 5 working weeks per year for 'menstrual leave' or whatever they may call it.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Henry9

Some people suffer from chronic back pain which requires regular time off.
    What's the difference? If you're suffering, get it certified and go from there.
    If you're not suffering enough to go to a doctor or seek a second opinion, then go to work.

I don't agree that it's not currently catered for in some workplaces though. I've worked in plenty of places where various women haven't come into work or have gone home early, and the justification involved plenty of sucking of teeth and pulling of faces, "y'know, she's not well".

Genuine or not who can say, but certainly the male managers I've worked with were reluctant to push the issue any further.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

miamee wrote: »
    Of course not, it was an "ill-conceived" proposal by an extreme idiot judging by the comments reported here.
    Absolutely; were I cynical such a proposal sounds more like a strategy to make women even less competitive in the labour market and thus keep them out of it.
    It would (I should hope) never gain traction in any country.
    As crazy as it is, with things like quotas presently becoming policy, it doesn't sound as unlikely as one should hope, which is why while we might be incredulous that it would ever be adopted, we unfortunately have to add caveats in parenthesis, as you have.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Absolutely; were I cynical such a proposal sounds more like a strategy to make women even less competitive in the labour market and thus keep them out of it.

As crazy as it is, with things like quotas presently becoming policy, it doesn't sound as unlikely as one should hope, which is why while we might be incredulous that it would ever be adopted, we unfortunately have to add caveats in parenthesis, as you have.

The article would suggest that this was the case alright.

Advertisement