Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Is David Bowie dead or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,354 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Ronan Keating still can't sing. That odd accent he puts on when singing is damn annoying. At least he enjoys it.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Be honest Nigel you are far right!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Not a huge listener to Pat Kenny on Newstalk...though is anyone still not used to him not on RTE ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Not a huge listener to Pat Kenny on Newstalk...though is anyone still not used to him not on RTE ?

Nah, he's on NT so long now I hardly remember his show from Radio 1. Remember him more from his TV work with RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,137 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

There's less researchers and staff on Newstalk programmes. You could certainly tell the difference when Pat switched over. I preferred him on RTE as well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I think Pat is in his element on NT. He seems to be having more fun since he moved over.

Owners of those pubs jeopardising health of their staff too, awful behavior, Irish people are incredibly selfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Owners of those pubs jeopardising health of their staff too, awful behavior, Irish people are incredibly selfish.
    No Irish people are not incredibly selfish. This is going on for a long time and it was expected the fatigue will set in. Also it is very easy to pass judgement if your business or job and livelihood is not under threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭MFPM

mzungu wrote: »
    I think Pat is in his element on NT. He seems to be having more fun since he moved over.

He is indeed, he's freer with his opinion and arrogant comments but Newstalk encourage that in their presenters - they aim their station very much at the ABC1 demographic and the texts from his audience often reflect that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭monstermag

Ronan Keating still can't sing. That odd accent he puts on when singing is damn annoying. At least he enjoys it.

In fairness to Keating he comes across as a decent skin, I'd rather gargle a mouth full of tumb tacks than listen to his music but he never comes across as pretentious unlike some artists for example Hosier who's been dining out on one decent track for the last 5 years and is seen by many as some kind of guru.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭monstermag

In fairness to Keating he comes across as a decent skin, l would rather gargle a mouth full of tumb tacks than listen to his music but unlike some artists he's not pretentious, like Hozier for example who's been dining out on one decent track for the last 5 years, and his fans see him as some kind of a modern day guru.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,504 ✭✭✭✭elperello

monstermag wrote: »
    In fairness to Keating he comes across as a decent skin, l would rather gargle a mouth full of tumb tacks than listen to his music but unlike some artists he's not pretentious, like Hozier for example who's been dining out on one decent track for the last 5 years, and his fans see him as some kind of a modern day guru.

There are so many entertainers out there that it is unlikely one will like them all.

They produce their music and we listen, that's the deal. Our choice.

Of course Ronan Keating can sing and so can Hozier

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭DrSerious3

Does he have planning permission?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,745 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Jonathan Healy just said that Trump was the most boring speaker when reading the autocue.

Pot, kettle, black.

BPKS wrote: »
    Jonathan Healy just said that Trump was the most boring speaker when reading the autocue.

Pot, kettle, black.

Hearing Healy today. I think I prefer him to Kenny. Better way about Healy overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

Hearing Healy today. I think I prefer him to Kenny. Better way about Healy overall.

Each to their own. I usually listen to Pat between 9-10...but Healy has me struggling to get through the hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TPF2012

Had to turn over when he was taking about "going on holipops"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,597 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I like Healy, he’s said before he wouldn’t be into taking a presenter job full time as he has another business.

Reckon he’d be a good replacement for Ivan Yates, or even Moncrief if he ever decided to go.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Cant wait til Pats back, Healy is insufferable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Can't agree with that, there is something about Healys presenting style that just grates with me. There is a snide, sneering undercurrent to his presenting, and he can be very condescending and dismissive towards points he doesn't agree with. Each to their own, but he's just not my cup of tea.

TPF2012 wrote: »
    Had to turn over when he was taking about "going on holipops"

See that type of thing would not bother me at all. It would go over my head. I noticed he is a bit Cork centric which amuses me - I am not from Cork by the way.
    Pat annoys me with the way he carries on with his 'as it were' and staccato speech etc trying to sound intellectual where (pause) at all (pause) possible.

Maybe that is just the way he is? But I feel it is very contrived and manufactured over time rather than a natural manner.

Saying things like 'Holipops' in contrast at least seems like a fella who is relaxed, and not as painfully self conscious/uptight as Pat seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,745 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Can't agree with that, there is something about Healys presenting style that just grates with me. There is a snide, sneering undercurrent to his presenting, and he can be very condescending and dismissive towards points he doesn't agree with. Each to their own, but he's just not my cup of tea.

Yeah I agree.

He cant help but butt in and give some hilarious quip (which is never hilarious) - most times when the guest is halfway through a sentence.

I like Healy, he’s said before he wouldn’t be into taking a presenter job full time as he has another business.

Reckon he’d be a good replacement for Ivan Yates, or even Moncrief if he ever decided to go.

Healy already had a show from 12pm - 2pm, back when Ivan was on Breakfast and Dr Ciara Kelly was still just a contributor on The Right Hook. Healy was the weakest broadcaster across the schedule, like it really stood out.

He seems like a superbly nice guy, and his firing was pretty brutal, but he just isn't in the same league as PK, Yates, or even Ciara Kelly. They all have personality, whether you agree with their views or not. With Healy, you can predict what he's going to say before he opens his mouth, what's the point of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭boardise

This show has gone to pot altogether .
    Tuned in around 9.30 today -what do I hear ....speeches by Martin Luther King from 50/60 years ago ! Muted this as it must be about the 50th time I've heard them. Tuned in again shortly after only to hear some more loud clamour -pop music from over 30 years ago. I mean what the actual ....? I thought this show was focused on news and current affairs...not just another magazine of randomly chosen fluffy historical curiosities. It's just aural bilge the way it's structured now.
    Kenny ,though excellent -has become a campaigner rather than a presenter and there's also far too much attention to Trumpiana.
    Why do we not get more granular coverage of EU matters -the parliament , council and commission as well as items from the other 26/7 countries in the political bloc we are connected to ?

boardise wrote: »
    Why do we not get more granular coverage of EU matters -the parliament , council and commission as well as items from the other 26/7 countries in the political bloc we are connected to ?

This is a very good point it is definitely a blind spot in coverage with Irish media overall. People are never told what is going on in EU matters how many people on the street could name all Irish MEP's never mind a few from other countries. Only for the likes of EuroNews I would not hear anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

This is a very good point it is definitely a blind spot in coverage with Irish media overall. People are never told what is going on in EU matters how many people on the street could name all Irish MEP's never mind a few from other countries. Only for the likes of EuroNews I would not hear anything.

How many could name all the EU countries?

The thing about EU politics is that it is crushingly boring. I say that as someone who finds politics interesting, in general. But the work that goes on in the Commission and in the EU Parliament is very technical and not exciting - the tax treatment of tacographs, procedural motions on the Oxford comma, honestly, I can't think of anything less appealing than extensive coverage of ordinary Brussels business.

There's a bit of a contradiction here because people often assume there's a democratic deficit just because the broadcasters aren't covering this stuff. In reality there's no big agenda, it's just that nobody wants to hear about tacographs.

Maybe I'm in a minority here, but I think the coverage of Europe is pretty decent, at least when it comes to the sexy stuff like budgets and foreign policy and the ECB. But they can keep the procedural stuff to themselves, do any of us really care?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

The thing about EU politics is that it is crushingly boring. I say that as someone who finds politics interesting, in general. But the work that goes on in the Commission and in the EU Parliament is very technical and not exciting - the tax treatment of tacographs, procedural motions on the Oxford comma, honestly, I can't think of anything less appealing than extensive coverage of ordinary Brussels business.

There's a bit of a contradiction here because people often assume there's a democratic deficit just because the broadcasters aren't covering this stuff. In reality there's no big agenda, it's just that nobody wants to hear about tacographs.

Maybe I'm in a minority here, but I think the coverage of Europe is pretty decent, at least when it comes to the sexy stuff like budgets and foreign policy and the ECB. But they can keep the procedural stuff to themselves, do any of us really care?

I presume those who would like to hear more EU news (me too) mean more coverage of stories in EU countries, rather than the intricate workings of the EU Commission or Parliament...e.g. the political (maybe social too) shift to the right in Poland and Hungary. At least that's my take on it.

• Advertisement

Cole wrote: »
    I presume those who would like to hear more EU news (me too) mean more coverage of stories in EU countries, rather than the intricate workings of the EU Commission or Parliament...e.g. the political (maybe social too) shift to the right in Poland and Hungary. At least that's my take on it.

Oh, ah yeah I agree with that. The stuff that's been going on in Poland recently, and their elections, is very interesting. Some of their guys make Trump look like a pussycat.

Advertisement