Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I don't think it's the water charges that irks him.

It's the hypocrisy.

You mean Pat's hypocrisy at pretending to understand or be concerned about the problems of people who are struggling? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

snubbleste wrote: »
    PatKenny: “You’re supposed to be the working man's friend and yet you want to keep the regime where half of what you pay goes to the Revenue. People who work an hour's overtime and half of it goes to Michael Noonan, how is that fair?”
    EoinÓBroin: “I would imagine I spend a lot more time with ordinary, average income workers than you do, Pat”.
    PatKenny: “Cheap shot, cheap shot, cheap shot. All my colleagues in Newstalk are not high earners. I know their difficulties. I am mature. I’ve earned a good living over many years. I started at the bottom like everyone else so don’t lecture me on the company I keep”

:D

This was just brilliant. Made my morning hearing that. Pat teed him up and fair play, he took the best shot at him that anyone has in a long time and he's had it coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭golfball37

Kenny was embarrassing this morning, he was badly rattled by the Shinner who kept his cool throughout. He shouted him down 10 secs into every answer and came across very unprofessional imo. Fair play to yer man EOB for not rising to it.

To bring up the security cost of the troubles as a reason why we need water charges was petty in the extreme, he came across as a spoilt child who didn't get his way. Pat was possibly trying to impress de boss who is up in court today and still reeling somewhat from MRs EOB's commissioned report from the EU on media ownership in Ireland.I thought he let himself down badly and I have lost respect for him after this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Sinn Fein only adopted an anti-water charge stance after one of their candidates was beaten by Paul Murphy in a by-election. So they do deserve some flak, but that was ridiculous. It's FF and the Independent Alliance that are forcing FG's climb down and FF are only doing so because they know it's the popular thing to do. Pat's ire is a bit misdirected, to say the least

In all that has happened over the past decade why has Pat never gone after the architects of our misfortune in that way? Any remember Bertie's GAA interview?

As former members of Newstalk's downtrodden workforce, The Second Captain were good laugh at Pat "feeling their pain" on today's podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I dont think I have ever heard Pat so vexed this morning, and I think he over stepped the mark in my opinion. Yes sinn fein and others do sometimes go down the populist route, but bringing up the Norths troubles has nothing to do with the water charges.Mr o Brion must have hit a raw nerve.

In fairness I dont think that Pat and other presenters have much of a clue about the ordinary workers or low paid or unemployed, so Mr o Brion does have a point there.

I dont remember him taking this tone with the other parties TDs. Fianna Fail for instance are populist too there Pat.I dont have too much of an issue with the water charges, and I do think most of the parties on the left are blowing it up too much, but I have noticed a trend with Pat lately to be unsympathetic with other points of view, but the media and politicians do love to have a go at the shinners, whether they are right or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

jimmyw wrote: »
    I dont think I have ever heard Pat so vexed this morning, .

Not even this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Pat getting stuck in to this Shinner spoofer again. Great stuff. Finally somebody is nailing them on their populist bullsh1t.

I really enjoyed it, infuriating listening to the Blackrock college shinner talk about screwing the squeezed middle over further while huge parts of our society pay nothing.

Calhoun wrote: »
    I really enjoyed it, infuriating listening to the Blackrock college shinner talk about screwing the squeezed middle over further while huge parts of our society pay nothing.

I didn't know Pat went to Blackrock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Deedsie wrote: »
    I think Pat was excellent in that interview. He is clearly frustrated at the water charges being used as a political football to kick the government. So FF & SF proposal is to pay for water infrastructure from general taxation?

I'd love if someone would arrange a counter protest to the water charges protestors in the new year. Let tax paying grown ups make demands for a change.

Why should tax payers pay for everyone else's services? A pay per use charge would be a far fairer model.

But as always the fool who goes out to work everyday gets an additional drain on the general tax pot.

Whatever about your political tendencies, will you ever catch yourself on if you think Pat was excellent in that interview. He was petulant and a bully. Would he have done that with Noonan or some other high ranker? Not a ****ing chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Lol, a bully?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Reminded me of when Jack O'Connor talked about Pat's "trophy house".

I love Pat when he's angry. :-)

Can healy do any report without making some smart ar$e remark about the subject of the report? He's just not suited to this job either. They need to send him somewhere to rehabilitate his on air personality.

On the Pope? I liked that piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,184 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

To be fair, there was only one a-hole on that clip, and he had a beard.

At least he had the balls to apologise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Pat admiring Mick Jaggers package...!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,595 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Pat admiring Mick Jaggers package...!

*snigger*

Entertaining but a bit 'rich' coming from a union head on €100k+ per annum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Entertaining but a bit 'rich' coming from a union head on €100k+ per annum.
    Unfortunately radio (& TV) is full of the six-figure-salaried.

Which is why they get such a land when something like Brexit or Trump happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Pat cries foul at the cheapshot yet brings up The Troubles in a discussion over Water charges. Even said Sinn Féin "created" the conflict. I'm not a shinner but PK needs a history lesson if nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

I think Pat was excellent in that interview. He is clearly frustrated at the water charges being used as a political football to kick the government. So FF & SF proposal is to pay for water infrastructure from general taxation?

I'd love if someone would arrange a counter protest to the water charges protestors in the new year. Let tax paying grown ups make demands for a change.

Why should tax payers pay for everyone else's services? A pay per use charge would be a far fairer model.

But as always the fool who goes out to work everyday gets an additional drain on the general tax pot.

Plenty of working tax payers went on the anti charges protests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Good for them. FOMO is a big motivator for Irish people, the actual result and how it will impact them and their wages won't be thought about till the look at the tax deductions on pay day.

It is genuinely great that people want to protest but water charges? At worst it's an annoyance? (Granted the setting up was infuriating) Why not protest the USC charges or the TV licence fee? Those are much more costly to the average person.

People wanted to tell the government they were unhappy. Water Charges is probably the only tax/charge I would happily pay. Agriculture and industrial users should of course be paying more. Pay for what you use. How is that unfair?

General worker now pays for everyone's water, so either increased taxes or reduced services. Genius lads, genius.
    Very few appear to have a problem paying for water. It's the specially set-up quango, Irish Water, that taxpayers object to.

They need to drop the whole "we already pay for water", "water is a human right" lines so and change it to reflect their real objections.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    They need to drop the whole "we already pay for water", "water is a human right" lines so and change it to reflect their real objections.

Why? Do you think they are going to close down IW and let lads like Tierney go?

Have we not bigger picture things to worry about at the moment? Irish water was set up disastrously badly. When Phil Hogan said trickle of water I was just as annoyed as everyone else. Still we are stuck with the politicians we continually elect (I vote for the greens).

Irish water as an entity should remain in place as an umbrella group to maintain, upgrade and identify issues with our water infrastructure nationally, major leaks, potential improvements.

I truly hope the payment for it comes out of the social welfare budget but inevitably it will come out of health or transport or justice. Elderly patients on trolleys, ****ty road surfaces & less Gardaí on the streets.

What a victory against "the man", what a strike for the working classes. Give me a break.
    Surely you mean the non-working classes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Listened to his interview with O'Brin

I hate SF, I think Pat is the best broadcaster in the country however I think he let himself down here. O'Brin is an idiot without a clue on economics (listen to interview on clare Byrne yesrerday) however pat spent all interview interrupting him and almost shouting him down.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,184 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Listened to the piece, and I do think Pat will look back and regret it. He didn't come out of it looking well.

If anything, it made him sound like he has a personal issue with SF. OK he can dislike them privately, but shouldn't be so openly hostile on the radio.

I think he took the comment very personally, and went off on one after that.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Listened to the piece, and I do think Pat will look back and regret it. He didn't come out of it looking well.

Didnt he have a similar argument with one the shinners a few weeks back that they were playing back as a promo for the show? I would be very much in line with Pat's thinking about Sinn Fein policy, though. Having to sit there an listen to them lecturing you about the poor in society, when their own party leader (who NONE of them think was in the IRA) has a sugar daddy pay for his operations in the states.

He should'nt have let it show though. I've never heard him do it before. But on listening to that broadcast you would certainly be left in the opinion that Pat does not like the Sinn Fein party. I just wonder will it affect any future debates that Pat may (or may not) be chairing.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

They are using it is for the show promo so obviously happy with it.
    Pat is head and shoulders above anyone else on the radio in terms of current affairs etc.

Oh ffs, not this absolute g0bsh1te again. Where is Pat now?

• Advertisement

More man bashing for Newstalk. Repeat after me: "All men are b*stards, and all women are made from sugar and spice and all things nice".

Advertisement