Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

He was doing something out in Kenya a while ago. I agree though. I don't bother listening if it isn't David Carey. I've no kids myself but love listening to the slot when he's on.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭neris

Eddie hobbs ain't afraid of upsetting the cosseted public servants and their pay. Pity someone in the govt doesn't have the balls to do it aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Ayuntamiento

neris wrote: »
    Eddie hobbs ain't afraid of upsetting the cosseted public servants and their pay. Pity someone in the govt doesn't have the balls to do it aswell

:rolleyes: There's lots of Public Service recruitment ongoing at the moment. Why not apply and get yourself one of these 'cosseted' jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

People outside of the PS are not allowed to criticise it?

ThisRegard wrote: »

No we,re not

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

They weren't discussing this when Obama won, and they wouldn't have been discussing the voting system if Hilary had won by even one vote.

Obama had about 5 million popular votes over Romney/Ryan.

When I was living in the states for one of the Bush elections, electoral college reform did come up then, so I imagine it's something that regularly gets a mention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Obama had about 5 million popular votes over Romney/Ryan.

When I was living in the states for one of the Bush elections, electoral college reform did come up then, so I imagine it's something that regularly gets a mention.

You're wasting your time, he won't respond. It's all monologues.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The Public Service has more power than the Govt.
    They can bring countries to a standstill.
    Our PS does a good job and in fairness they took more than their fair share of cuts during the austerity years without rocking the boat.

I work in it and I don't think it does a good job. I have always worked in the private sector where profits, budgets, costs, and the bottom line were paramount. Not so in the Public Sector which I joined 5 months ago on a roll over temporary contract.

I have never seen such an out of touch system and the people in it have a sense of entitlement that's gobsmacking, particularly at middle management level upwards. The expense account is huge. I cannot say much more for obvious reasons but the Public Service lives in a parallel universe to the real world.

• Advertisement

I work in it and I don't think it does a good job. I have always worked in the private sector where profits, budgets, costs, and the bottom line were paramount. Not so in the Public Sector which I joined 5 months ago on a roll over temporary contract.

I have never seen such an out of touch system and the people in it have a sense of entitlement that's gobsmacking, particularly at middle management level upwards. The expense account is huge. I cannot say much more for obvious reasons but the Public Service lives in a parallel universe to the real world.
    Funny, I don't work in it and never have but somehow I don't believe you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

i also call a big steaming pile of shįte on this little anecdote

Lol, you're so ignorant to so many facts as to how things actually are in Ireland.

Lol, you're so ignorant to so many facts as to how things actually are in Ireland.

You can lol all you like especially when you don't have an answer :D but I worked in the Private Sector and at times I had a company car, bonuses, Christmas Box, free lunches etc etc.
    You don't seem to get anything like that in the Public Sector.
    AND I have seen lots of lazy and useless people in the Private Sector too. Lads who could slip off to the bookies or home or spend hours in the toilet etc.

An answer to what question? Your stock replies aren't even making sense.

We know you're the local PR guy for all things public sector, union and left leaning, but do you think this sector is homogenous, inter-marry and don't have family, friends and business dealings outside of the sector and never discuss their jobs with anyone else?

I must tell the people I know that what they tell me is bull**** because some fanatic on boards.ie knows their departments better than they do.

(Of course not everywhere is disfunctional, but there's more than there should be.)

And the difference between the public sector and private sector is that those perks you listed are paid for privately, and when things go wrong your job is gone. How many private companies offer paid maternity leave and automatic pay raises, regardless of performance, for example. I'd take that over a lunch FFS.

An answer to what question? Your stock replies aren't even making sense.

We know you're the local PR guy for all things public sector, union and left leaning, but do you think this sector is homogenous, inter-marry and don't have family, friends and business dealings outside of the sector and never discuss their jobs with anyone else?

I must tell the people I know that what they tell me is bull**** because some fanatic on boards.ie knows their departments better than they do.

(Of course not everywhere is disfunctional, but there's more than there should be.)

And the difference between the public sector and private sector is that those perks you listed are paid for privately, and when things go wrong your job is gone. How many private companies offer paid maternity leave and automatic pay raises, regardless of performance, for example. I'd take that over a lunch FFS.
    I'm a PR guy for any kind of worker regardless of sector who wants to better himself.
    Maybe you and your knockers should give up working in the Private Sector and go work where all these easy Public Sector jobs are with their great terms and conditions. You whinge enough about them so why not work there? Not qualified maybe?

Resorting to personal jibes when your other approach fails? Getting desperate.

Just responding to your own snide remarks but if you have no answers then lol.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

But why not get a job in the public sector then? they are hiring

if you have no answers then lol.

You keep saying this but you're still not making any sense, answers to what?
    But why not get a job in the public sector then? they are hiring

And you're going down the path that you can't be critical of an organisation or relay stories about them unless you work with them?

• Advertisement

If you're not happy with your lot in the Private Sector then why not join the Public Sector? It's a very simple question.

A question so simple it was never even asked of me in the first place?

Where did I say I'm unhappy? Your tying yourself in knots here with your usual rote of questions and answers to posts that aren't even being made.

A question so simple it qas never even asked of me in the first place?

Where did i say I'm unhappy? Your tying yourself in knots here with your usual rote of questions and answers to posts that aren't even being made.
    Fact.
    You've been whinging about the Public Sector's terms and conditions for ages yet you say :D that your happy in your own Private Sector job. Why are you whinging then? Why not join them if there's jobs there??

Fact.
    You've been whinging against Unions for ages. Yet the Unions fight for and get better conditions for their workers. That's their job.
    I can only put your complaining down to jealousy.

I'm in knots laughing at your lame excuses. You just want to rant but your rants have little or no substance.

Just because you say fact does not make it so, it's the level of debate that I didn't think takes place outside of school yards. And more stock responses, what excuses did I provide? Was it before or after I apparently posted I was unhappy?

So again, unions and the public service are beyond criticism, when deserved, unless you actually work for them?

Just because you say fact does not make it so, it's the level of debate that I didn't think takes place outside of school yards. And more stock responses, what excuses did I provide? Was it before or after I apparently posted I was unhappy?

So again, unions and the public service are beyond criticism, when deserved, unless you actually work for them?
    I could say the exact same about your posts.
    You seem to want to blame Unions for doing their job and criticise the Public Sector because they have better terms than you have.
    Why not join a Union and fight for better terms for yourself or join the Public Sector as many posters have suggested to you??

It's always like talking to a wall with you, no matter the forum. With every post you make you allege people said or implied one thing another, blatant falsehoods and pat yourself on the back for a win in your head, no matter how hard each claim you make is batted back to you, you simply ignore where you're wrong and make something else up. The latest such example is now you claiming I they think have better terms than I. You simply cannot accept criticism of a union or the public sector, it's brilliant. Regular visitors to the politics forum know this is your methodology for trying to shut down debate. But as this is a thread in the radio forum I'm well off topic at this stage and boring everyone else, so you can try claim this as another win for HQ.

It's always like talking to a wall with you, no matter the forum. With every post you make you allege people said or implied one thing another, blatant falsehoods and pat yourself on the back for a win in your head, no matter how hard each claim you make is batted back to you, you simply ignore where you're wrong and make something else up. The latest such example is now you claiming I they have better terms than I. You simply cannot accept criticism of a union or the public sector, it's brilliant. Regular visitors to the politics forum know this is your methodology for trying to shut down debate. But as this is a thread in the radio forum I'm well off topic at this stage and boring everyone else, so you can try claim this as another win for HQ.
    Ah no really? Before you leave maybe you'd tell us where you really stand on the question of Unions and Public Sector terms and conditions and why you always seem to be critical of them. I thought it was just jealousy but maybe i'm wrong on that.

You are entitled to your opinion but I don't have the time or inclination to come on here to lie!

I worked in private sector banking all my life , in the last year I stared working for a state agency (financial sector) which is fully government funded. It's been a shock to the system.

There is serious money spent on salaries , meetings , training days and expenses . No management iniative on saving on stationery, phones , postage etc . No monitoring of costs , no accountability. Yes expenses are signed off by Board members but never questioned.

But hey I'm lying Tayto Lover ....yeah right !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

daithi7 wrote: »
    It's not baffling to someone in the public service at all. Its called rights , privileges and the shortest working year (& no. of teaching days/year) in the OECD, leading to piss poor students coming in 3rd last in the OECD. (in numeracy, literacy,etc) Benchmarking how are you!?

While there is some scope or discussion of the length of the school year, Irish teachers have annual contact hours above the OECD average.

As for the standards, Ireland is 9th out of 34 OECD countries in science. Ireland is placed 4th out of 34 countries for reading and 13th of the 34 OECD countries for mathematics.

There are enough real things to talk about without making it up.

• Advertisement

Ugh Jonathan healy in for the plank

Advertisement